closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: iPhone X

Craftsman
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned earlier but Very are selling iPhone 8/8+ with effectively 20% discount through their buy now pay later scheme. The balance can be paid off anytime within 12 months interest free, which you’ll want to do as thier interest rate is a whopping 39.9%!

This brings the cost of an iPhone 8 64gb down to £560 vs the iPhone X 64gb at £999 - food for thought.

They have the same offer on iPads and MacBooks too - hope this is useful to someone.

Cheers
    Rory

Journeyman
    It might be worth pointing out that for the Very offer, you need a Very credit account which I believe will put a stain on your credit rating so... caveat emptor

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’m using the standard size 7 until the X arrives.
    Ah you should be fine then if thats what you are used to.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fleshpress View Post
    It might be worth pointing out that for the Very offer, you need a Very credit account which I believe will put a stain on your credit rating so... caveat emptor
    Why will it put a stain on your credit rating exactly?

They are just another credit provider or do you think there is a special ‘Very rating’ within the reference agencies?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Why will it put a stain on your credit rating exactly?

They are just another credit provider or do you think there is a special ‘Very rating’ within the reference agencies?
    I don't really have the answer to that since I've never used them myself but I was looking into taking advantage of that offer and while browsing the comments on a UK site specializing at highlighting deals, I saw a lot of people commenting that it affected their credit rating quite a bit. I'm not trying to steer people off the deal, just trying to highlight something that may be of interest to some.

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry but that is nonsense. Credit is credit simple.

Quote Originally Posted by fleshpress View Post
    I don't really have the answer to that since I've never used them myself but I was looking into taking advantage of that offer and while browsing the comments on a UK site specializing at highlighting deals, I saw a lot of people commenting that it affected their credit rating quite a bit. I'm not trying to steer people off the deal, just trying to highlight something that may be of interest to some.

Had mine 24hrs now.

Sometimes, the lack of a home button is annoying. I never, ever want to use Siri. Ever. I cannot turn this off. When it accidentally activates, getting rid of it is now a massive pain in the arse.

However, I like the extra real estate the lack of that button has given me. More pixels than my 6S Plus, but in a smaller form factor.

Battery doesn't seem great compared to the 6S Plus.

Face ID is brilliant. JUST WORKS. Amazing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Had mine 24hrs now.

Sometimes, the lack of a home button is annoying. I never, ever want to use Siri. Ever. I cannot turn this off. When it accidentally activates, getting rid of it is now a massive pain in the arse.

However, I like the extra real estate the lack of that button has given me. More pixels than my 6S Plus, but in a smaller form factor.

I turned Siri off - its in the settings!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I got 8 hours and 55 minites (actual usage) today. Mainly browsing and watching live sport on my phone all day until it died.

In normal circumstances it will easily last me from morning to evening (deliberately hammered / tested it today)

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I got 8 hours and 55 minites (actual usage) today. Mainly browsing and watching live sport on my phone all day until it died.

In normal circumstances it will easily last me from morning to evening (deliberately hammered / tested it today)
    OK, to be fair, it does say 7hrs 18 min usage.

And Siri, I've definitely turned it off, it still comes back. Like a Zombie personal assistant.

Master
    Blog Entries
    OK, to be fair, it does say 7hrs 18 min usage.

And Siri, I've definitely turned it off, it still comes back. Like a Zombie personal assistant.
    Strange. Not heard her yet thank god

Master
    I've just got mine and the first impression is its bloody heavy! and now I have to get the beta software onto it to restore my backup..

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    I do get the impression that Apple have been uncharacteristically disorganised with the X launch.

As as I said in my earlier post, my wife’s stopped working within 24 hours of setting up. Obviously this happens, and you can’t expect a product to have a 100% success rate. What you should expect though, is Apple to be able to honour their warranty commitments in a timely manner.

This is where I think Apple have dropped a bit of a bollock. Despite being initially promised a phone “in a couple of days”, it then turned out that there was no replacement stock available, so it would be about 2 weeks. No amount of whinging to Apple support seemed to be able to changes this.

I realise Apple can’t magic a phone out of thin air, but you probably can reasonably expect them to keep adequate replacement units for DOA/early failures.

I suspect its it’s even more of a problem if you buy through a third party vendor like John Lewis, as they are at the mercy of Apple’s supply chain. (And God help you if an Apple product goes wrong after the 30 day return period - John Lewis’s tech repair procedures are comically disorganised).

On a more positive note, the replacement was actually delivered this week, so she was only without the phone for a week.

Well, whole afternoon wasted today with this.

Went to John Lewis to collect a new handset to find out they had sold the one I reserved after my last post here.....and only told me that after the kid had wiped my phone in front of me.............so I have to then go over to Apple to be told it's now not just a hardware issue but also software so cannot be restored from a PC back up if they give me a new (out of box) replacement today........so have to go back to Apple but with my laptop to get all data onto a new handset.....and no I didn't have my laptop with my today where I back up (don't use iCloud) stuff so have to go through this all over again at some point.

Go back to John Lewis who despite being very apologetic cannot guarantee when they will have more new stock.........so am waiting for a call for that to happen and then will have to go to Apple for them to re-set it all up again as I want a brand new handset and not an out of box replacement from Apple.....and if I do take one from Apple and it fails again they will not change it for anything than another X anyway and if that occurs in the first 30 days my John Lewis warranty is negated.

Why did I bother?!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Well, whole afternoon wasted today with this.

Went to John Lewis to collect a new handset to find out they had sold the one I reserved after my last post here.....and only told me that after the kid had wiped my phone in front of me.............so I have to then go over to Apple to be told it's now not just a hardware issue but also software so cannot be restored from a PC back up if they give me a new (out of box) replacement today........so have to go back to Apple but with my laptop to get all data onto a new handset.....and no I didn't have my laptop with my today where I back up (don't use iCloud) stuff so have to go through this all over again at some point.

Go back to John Lewis who despite being very apologetic cannot guarantee when they will have more new stock.........so am waiting for a call for that to happen and then will have to go to Apple for them to re-set it all up again as I want a brand new handset and not an out of box replacement from Apple.....and if I do take one from Apple and it fails again they will not change it for anything than another X anyway and if that occurs in the first 30 days my John Lewis warranty is negated.

Why did I bother?!
    I feel your pain.

John Lewis generally have a good reputation for customer service, but I get the impression their tech repairs have been outsourced to the lowest bidder. There are also unnecessary layers of beauracracy between the customer and the repair service, as well as insufficiently trained frontline staff (as you’ve found). I won’t bore you with the entire saga, but my faulty iPad was a few days out of their 30-day period, and I ended up being without it for about a month. Although they are meant to keep all the information wrt a problem in one place, if you’re not careful you end up with multiple references, with no one really knowing what’s going on. The JL tech people also seem to be unable to contact the repair people directly, instead relying on emails, which don’t get answered. You then end up with people saying they will get back to you, not doing, and thus making a bad situation worse. I then ended up getting told (by three different JL employees in the end) after several weeks of messing around, that I should just have taken the iPad back to an Apple store! (Who confirmed that they would’ve simply swapped the iPad there and then). I also didn’t realise they’d reduced their 90 day return period to 30 (although you don’t have to read too many AV forums to see that people seem to really have abused that, so I’m not entirely surprised they did it).

After this, I wouldn’t buy an Apple product from anyone other than Apple (other than perhaps Costco - no coincidence they’re another US company). As I’ve said though, Apple have let themselves down somewhat, but at least they got a new phone out in about a week. I’d be very surprised if Apple would’ve put you in a situation where you had a software as well as a hardware issue.

John Lewis like most retailers are guided very much by Apple on what they can and can't do with their products.

While one customer might have been better treated at an apple store there are instances where they have referred customers back to John Lewis rather than deal with them.

Apple cap returns. That means, after a certain number of turns a month, the store is liable for the cost. Also, the warranty a customer enjoys isn't extended to the shop. Returning a phone after 9 months to most large resellers cost Apple nothing and the site nothing. An unreliable some product costs retailers massively.

Retailers make nothing out of Apple but they get a halo effect from selling them in their shots. They are a terrible company to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Retailers make nothing out of Apple but they get a halo effect from selling them in their shots. They are a terrible company to deal with.
    That doesn't surprise me. There's no doubt that from a consumer point of view Apple are pretty good, but this is nearly always at a cost to suppliers, secondary sellers etc. (See also supermarkets, and I suspect companies like Amazon are no better).

When companies get too big, everyone else suffers.

Had mine 24hrs now.

Back on topic. Update.

Following some guides online, I've found all the places you have to turn Siri off now - I think before it was activating as it was active for certain applications. Since I've done that, I've had no problems.

Face ID still works, even in the dark, even when driving, so I don't have to touch the phone.

I've got so used to swiping up already, I keep finding myself trying to do it on my work Samsung, which has one of those now archaic "buttons".

Master
    Blog Entries
    Back on topic. Update.

Following some guides online, I've found all the places you have to turn Siri off now - I think before it was activating as it was active for certain applications. Since I've done that, I've had no problems.

Face ID still works, even in the dark, even when driving, so I don't have to touch the phone.

I've got so used to swiping up already, I keep finding myself trying to do it on my work Samsung, which has one of those now archaic "buttons".
    Yeah I have fully adapted now and found myself swiping up on the kids iPads

Im laid up at the moment with a slipped disc - hence bored! Managed to get around 8.5 hours constantly streamed TV over wifi. Guess would of lasted longer watching movies stored on the phone itself

Master
    The swiping is good and for anyone who had a Blackberry Z10 its second nature but its a pain to close apps, they should have just given BB some money and done it there way and it would have been far better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42090777

Foxconn stops interns' illegal overtime at iPhone X factory.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Picked mine up today. I've had 3GS, 4S, 5S, 6, 6S, 7+ and now the 10.
    The size takes a bit of getting used to after the 7+, sort of smaller, sort of larger but not quite so...
    The screen itself though it great, those deep blacks seem to be the difference.
    It does colour shift on an angle but it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.
    Face ID is surprisingly good, even with glasses on/off or slightly off square, it works really well.
    The one unexpected thing is the speed, this is a really fast device!
    To some extents, it does feel like a 'super' 3GS, but that's no bad thing in my book!

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

As everyone has gone quiet am I to understand that such practice is acceptable given the amount of money apple makes?

Not a fan

Love the look of the razer phone but I'm on the oneplus which is great

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

As everyone has gone quiet am I to understand that such practice is acceptable given the amount of money apple makes?
    You obviously want this thread to head to the pit so just start you own thread there and respect the rules of the G&D.

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    You obviously want this thread to head to the pit so just start you own thread there and respect the rules of the G&D.
    Sorry hadn't realised that this was simply a mutual back patting thread, enjoy!

Just to put things into perspective.

Foxconn has 75000 workers, they hired 3000 more students, 6 of them worked voluntarely 11 hour shifts.

With 1% left. Great battery life!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    How are folks finding the camera? Is it noticeably improved over, say a 6? My wife has an S7 which has an outstanding camera, so trying to decide to go Samsung next or follow my gut and go for the X.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    How are folks finding the camera? Is it noticeably improved over, say a 6? My wife has an S7 which has an outstanding camera, so trying to decide to go Samsung next or follow my gut and go for the X.

I upgraded from a 6 plus and found a massive difference. Im impressed

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I upgraded from a 6 plus and found a massive difference. Im impressed

I saw that photo on the other thread and meant to comment. The clarity is astonishing, it could have been taken with an SLR! Really shows the dial. Beautiful.

I find my iPhone photos (on a 6) look so "flat" compared to the S7, especially the colours and light. Wondering if the X is the step up I'm looking for.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I know jack about photography - that pic was literally aim and click. Im very impressed with the detail!

With the 6 and same watch I could not get a pic that I was happy with etc
    Last edited by kultschar; 28th November 2017 at 00:22.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Kultschar, good to know!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Guess you could try one of the display models in the Apple shop?

FWIW, John Lewis online have (finally) got some 256gb SG in stock.

https://m.johnlewis.com/apple-iphone...256gb/p3298410
    Last edited by Bravo73; 30th November 2017 at 17:05.

You have to love this place,
    People with cars capable of speeds that you can't use, waterproof watches that never get wet, mobile phones costing a fortune with storage capacity they'll never need, and arctic jackets too warm to wear in a UK winter, 😂

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post

What about a pixel 2?
    I'm thrilled with mine and am pretty convinced the camera is better than my brother's iPhone X.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I hadn't considered the Pixel 2 at all actually, but will take a look. Hoping there may be some good deals in the run up to Christmas. Thanks for the recommendation

People with cars capable of speeds that you can't use, waterproof watches that never get wet, mobile phones costing a fortune with storage capacity they'll never need, and arctic jackets too warm to wear in a UK winter, 

Wants are endless, needs are few.

(Posted from a 256Gb iPhone X)

People with cars capable of speeds that you can't use, waterproof watches that never get wet, mobile phones costing a fortune with storage capacity they'll never need, and arctic jackets too warm to wear in a UK winter, 😂

Apprentice
    I’ve been tempted, would have bought one had they had them for sale in apple last week.

You didn’t think to wonder if Apple would put their newest, highest margin item (which is currently in worldwide short supply) for sale already???!?

Good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    You didn’t think to wonder if Apple would put their newest, highest margin item (which is currently in worldwide short supply) for sale already???!?

Good luck with that.
    I think you've misinterpreted the OP's words 'for sale' i.e. available as 'on sale' i.e. at a reduced price.

Anyway, using an iPhone X (256GB in Space Grey) for 6 hours or so and the gestures are already second-nature. I'll have a play with the camera tomorrow. Whilst I completely understand that the cost will not be justifiable to some, I believe these devices should be thought of and described as handheld computers that include all the features of a phone. However, given the derivation, I think that is a while away yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I think you've misinterpreted the OP's words 'for sale' i.e. available as 'on sale' i.e. at a reduced price.

Anyway, using an iPhone X (256GB in Space Grey) for 6 hours or so and the gestures are already second-nature. I'll have a play with the camera tomorrow. Whilst I completely understand that the cost will not be justifiable to some, I believe these devices should be thought of and described as handheld computers that include all the features of a phone. However, given the derivation, I think that is a while away yet.
    Exactly! £1200 for a computer? Who pays that these days? (Rhetorical).

One thing I was concerned about was the fact that there are now two different sets of gestures between faceid and touchid devices ie going from an iPad to an iPhone may now feel slightly awkward.

After about a month of using both, this hasn’t been as much of an issue as expected. I do occasionally swipe up on my iPad or go for the home button in my phone, but it’s rare.

I’d still like to see dual gesture options on the iPad though.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Rhetorical or not; I recently paid £1,300 for a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    15 years ago my computer cost £1500, and my phone £200.

Now it's the other way round. The computer hasn't really moved on in what it can do - other than doing things faster - whereas the phone...well...

Craftsman
    I recently upgraded from a 64gb 6 to a 64gb 8 Plus partly because of the camera (portrait mode) and the speed difference is noticeable in my opinion.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    I'm due for an upgrade to my old iPhone with my carrier so I guess I'll go for the X. I don't know much about it though.

By the way... How do you perform activities previously done through the round button? Is there a different button somewhere else?
    I understand you swipe up from the bottom of the screen...

^^^Correct^^^

The ‘Side button’ (ie the old on/off button) also fulfils some of the functions (eg Siri, Apple Pay, etc etc).

Just catching up late to this thread, having just upgraded. Did it primarily for larger display/better camera reasons, but after a few days use surprisingly most impressed with Face ID which is flawless and significantly better that Touch ID, where I always used to have issues unlocking with wet fingers either while in kitchen or when getting into car from typical wet Scottish weather. Speed and new gestures also damn good, its probably now my preferred device over my iPad Air and PC for rapidly handling emails, social media etc.

Colour me suitably impressed...