closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone X

Blog Entries

iPhone X

So who’s buying one - if so are you trying the Apple HP system or on contract or outright cash? More importantly- why bother?

Nope, not interested. I've given up on chasing the latest gadget...just need to pull my finger out and get my 6+ screen repaired!

Banned
    I do fancy wireless charging, but ok going to wait and see what it’s like in store. Friend swapped 7 to 8 and I stayed 7, but the X is different enough to warrant consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    why bother?
    This
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    I do fancy wireless charging, but ok going to wait and see what it’s like in store. Friend swapped 7 to 8 and I stayed 7, but the X is different enough to warrant consideration.
    I was keen to try wireless charging on my Samsung s7. It was cool for a few weeks but havnt used it since, having a cable plugged in is faster and more reliable. Always knocking things around my bedside table in my sleep (that or my cat is full of mischief)

If you want wireless charging good luck. You first need to go buy a wireless charger because guess, what, it’s not included in the box for £1,149!

I love Apple stuff, I’ve had the new iPhone every year for 6 years now and this is the first iPhone I won’t be buying. Even iOS 11 on my 7+ has genuinely made me see a big slow down in my phone. Really annoying, quite sluggish.

Shame the Pixel 2 didn’t come with a 256gb option. I’m holding out for the S9+ hopefully around March/April. I don’t want the finger print sensor on the back, I want it under the glass.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If you want wireless charging good luck. You first need to go buy a wireless charger because guess, what, it’s not included in the box for £1,149!

I love Apple stuff, I’ve had the new iPhone every year for 6 years now and this is the first iPhone I won’t be buying. Even iOS 11 on my 7+ has genuinely made me see a big slow down in my phone. Really annoying, quite sluggish.

Shame the Pixel 2 didn’t come with a 256gb option. I’m holding out for the S9+ hopefully around March/April. I don’t want the finger print sensor on the back, I want it under the glass.
    I bought the charger already, thinking I was buying an 8. As for the IOS, I find it great and have been an Applenuser since try launched. The X is something different so we shall see.

I am not convinced by facial recognition. In asking a few key app producers (my bank and LastPass being the main two) if and when they will be supporting facial recognition in lieu of the fingerprint scanner, not one has responded that the will be from the outset. This seems something of a backward step and just makes logging in slower.

That said I may purchase one (outright) and if I don't get on with it I'll sell it and revert to my current 7 Plus.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Wireless chargers start at £10 from Ikea.

I got one yesterday it’s great

Grand Master
    If this man isn't interested then that says a lot http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...rading-iphone/

Craftsman
    I’m ordering one - coming from a 7.

I’m always a sucker for a new iPhone and this one took a lot of consideration given the cost however I like it and am going to buy it. Decision was made easier by the fact my wife wants my 7 which means it works well for both of us

Craftsman
    For the price I went with the 7, would rather spent that money on another MacBook which will last me twice as long as the phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Went for the 7 myself a month ago or so, not interested in paying what i feel are crazy amounts for the 8 and even crazier for the X.

The best iPhone for value has to be the 6.

£329.

At that price with apple's support it actually seems a bargain.

I have an 8 that I've been given from work to replace a 6. Apart from the fact it's slippier to hold there is no immediately noticeable upgrade over the 6.

The X is just trying to catch up with the S8 I guess. Facial recognition has been on phones for years. I don't see the excitement.

Nope not interested but my wife is addicted to having the latest IPhone so I'm sure one will be inbound

I upgraded recently from a 64gb 6 to a 128gb 7plus. The increase in performance and speed is quite marked, going up two chipsets and tripling the RAM to 3gb. Also the vastly increased battery capacity is very welcome, as is the increased screen size for these ever aging eyes!
    F.T.F.A.

I will be ordering one using the iPhone Upgrade Program.

Master
    If i was Apple I would have abandoned the 8 and made the X the new model.

This would have been a buzz they need.

I have a 7 which I’ve had for about 6 months. I intend to keep it for a couple of years then consider my options. The 8 looks like a ‘7S’ with no advantage I could detect when I tried one out (and any styling change is irrelevant as I keep my phone in a case like anyone who isn’t a teenager!) - the X looks interesting but hardly groundbreaking. Face recognition seems like a pointless ‘upgrade’ and frankly plonking my phone on a pad to charge instead of plugging it in is a solution to a problem which doesn’t exist. A resounding ‘meh’ from me!

I'm due for an upgrade to my old iPhone with my carrier so I guess I'll go for the X. I don't know much about it though.

By the way... How do you perform activities previously done through the round button? Is there a different button somewhere else?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    I'm due for an upgrade to my old iPhone with my carrier so I guess I'll go for the X. I don't know much about it though.

By the way... How do you perform activities previously done through the round button? Is there a different button somewhere else?
    Looks like its all done by swiping gestures

I'll probably buy one.

My 7 is a little small for my fingers when typing emails etc. And predictive text can be hilarious.

I always preferred the look of the Samsung, and now it looks like one too.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll probably buy one.

My 7 is a little small for my fingers when typing emails etc. And predictive text can be hilarious.

I always preferred the look of the Samsung, and now it looks like one too.
    It's just a matter of time...

I've been rocking the 6+ for a while now and can't complain. I used to try to keep up to date with the latest and greatest tech, but it moves on so fast its impossible!

I totally agree in regard to problems typing on the 7. I need to see if there’s a better keyboard just never get round to it!

Yes I have one reserved, would be through 02 yearly upgrade program, but now I am thinking a little differently, this has been an interesting week

and only since I bought a bargain Chinese smart phone from sales corner this week for less than my monthly phone habit costs me, that so far almost does everything I really use my phone for, not all the stuff I pay for

just seems ridiculous to be thinking my 7 plus is too slow and need the X in my life - but as that's my work phone then no matter what I say now, I'll probably crumble at the 1st deal that man-maths says it is not a ridiculous >£1000 phone - but no I am determined to be strong.....

some sanity perhaps from the man who has the S8 plus as my not at work phone so that I can confidently say and show that "no I am not doing anything to do with work"

I need help!

I'm going to be getting one, but I have to say that the smart (Apple) money probably would be on waiting. Atypically for Apple, it looks it may be a bit of an unfinished/unrealised product - the lack of fingerprint recognition is potentially going to marr the user experience, and if rumours are to be believed, they wanted to include an under-the-screen sensor. In another 12 months, this may be included in the updated 2018 version, and some of the other new features will trickle down into the "lesser" models. (Although whether the OLED screen will become standard is another question).

It most unusual for Apple to have such a long lead-time between announcement and shipping, so I'm sure there's a behind-the-scenes story.

Think i will get one - got 256GB 7 to sell so that will part fund it!

Master

it’s not included in the box for £1,149!
    How much!! Good lord.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    How much!! Good lord.
    I should point out the 64GB model is £999 but the only other option is 256GB for £1,149. No such thing as 128GB for the iPhone X and no such thing as 256GB for the 7/7+ anymore. They force you into a corner when it comes to storage...

I should point out the 64GB model is £999 but the only other option is 256GB for £1,149. No such thing as 128GB for the iPhone X and no such thing as 256GB for the 7/7+ anymore. They force you into a corner when it comes to storage...
    This is what annoyed me when the X was announced. 64gb is frustratingly just a bit too little for what I need. I could probably just about get by, but I’m not paying a grand for a phone then worrying about storage, so inevitably I’m going to go for the 256.

Its a First World Problem, but it does annoy me somewhat.

As an aside, Apple have upgraded a lot of their iTunes movies to 4K HDR for no cost - look great on Apple TV, so this has somewhat restored my faith. (They give with one hand...)

Quote Originally Posted by de30m View Post

and only since I bought a bargain Chinese smart phone from sales corner this week for less than my monthly phone habit costs me, that so far almost does everything I really use my phone for, not all the stuff I pay for

j
    I reckon the really good Chinese smartphones will now do 90% that an iPhone X will do for 20% of the price.

four figure iPhone ???

what will they think of next? a £2,500 apple laptop?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    I reckon the really good Chinese smartphones will now do 90% that an iPhone X will do for 20% of the price.

four figure iPhone ???

A bit like a £3k wristwatch really.....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    A bit like a £3k wristwatch really.....
    A good chance a £3k wristwatch will be worth at least £3k in 5 years. This will be obsolete.

Not really a fair comparison.

Saying that i'm not against spending money on a phone. But I dont think the £600 uplift on a new second hand S8 is good value.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I've just upgraded my IPhone 5 and went for an IPhone 7 and I'm happy with it from an overall point of view - size, features, speed, battery life etc.

Master
    I got the 6 a few months after it came out (had maybe 3 years now) and it works perfectly, still looks like new and does everything I could want of a phone and loads more too no doubt.

I’ve no idea what I’m missing out on with newer phones but frankly I don’t care, I don’t miss what I don’t know about.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post

four figure iPhone ???

But it's that 10% that makes Apple, Apple. That 10% is the difference between brilliant and exceptional, the difference between like it, or love it. Sometimes people don't want the 90% experience, they want the full 100% and that's fine, choice is a good thing.

My (£2500) 17" Macbook Pro from around 2010 is still working brilliantly, it still out performs many current laptops you can buy in PC World today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    A good chance a £3k wristwatch will be worth at least £3k in 5 years. This will be obsolete.

Not really a fair comparison.

Saying that i'm not against spending money on a phone. But I dont think the £600 uplift on a new second hand S8 is good value.
    The point I made was that you can buy a cheaper item that will do the same job.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    But it's that 10% that makes Apple, Apple. That 10% is the difference between brilliant and exceptional, the difference between like it, or love it. Sometimes people don't want the 90% experience, they want the full 100% and that's fine, choice is a good thing.

My (£2500) 17" Macbook Pro from around 2010 is still working brilliantly, it still out performs many current laptops you can buy in PC World today.
    That might be because PC world are not really renownd for selling high quality high performance machines. You'll always be able to find a far more powerful well built laptop for cheaper tha the apple equivelent.

And I'd hardly call the iphone x features exceptional, it's a step backwards in some regards. I'd hardly call that god awful screen notch "100%", or the removal of a home button etc.

Doesn't matter how you cut it, £1k for a phone is just daft, especially given that mobile software has been stagnant for a good while now. Other than the likes of 4k streaming (which is utterly pointless on phones), there is nothing on the market which an iphone 6 couldn't run flawlessly. Phone companies are now just relying on spec wars in the hope that the consumer won't notice the complete lack of a need to upgrade other than for the sake of upgrading. These days be it apple or samsung or anyone else, you are largely just paying for gimmicks imo (or in apples case, it is often for features that have been around for years).

Master
    I'm tempted by the iPhone X myself, but the price and the full screen "notch" is making me look at this Chinese equivalent:
    http://www.mi.com/in/mix2/

Gonna pick one up in HK in a few weeks - let me know if anyone else wants one.

Grand Master
    I upgraded for free to a 6 on a good deal just as they were being removed from vodafone, next phone will be a samsung i think, i just see them getting better each year for less on contract, with a lot more freedom in terms of what/how you use the phone and it's tools.

What I find interesting is that when people refer to the cost they mention that £1000 for a phone is very steep. I see the iphone as more than just a phone these days, in fact I hardly use it as a phone its more encompassing, a camera, diary, laptop, work tool and the list goes on. therefore £1000 I see as being pretty reasonable. What are every one else's thoughts?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glyn696486 View Post
    What I find interesting is that when people refer to the cost they mention that £1000 for a phone is very steep. I see the iphone as more than just a phone these days, in fact I hardly use it as a phone its more encompassing, a camera, diary, laptop, work tool and the list goes on. therefore £1000 I see as being pretty reasonable. What are every one else's thoughts?
    That argument is reasonable, until you consider you can get all of that for substantially less. I got a brand new S7 for £120 in May.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    That argument is reasonable, until you consider you can get all of that for substantially less. I got a brand new S7 for £120 in May.
    A Casio tells the time as well as a Rolex, but you have a choice.

Master
    A Casio tells the time as well as a Rolex, but you have a choice.
    What a silly analogy given the context.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    What a silly analogy given the context.
    Function is only part of the motivation to own. If you’ve not realised that since you joined here, you’re not taking anything in. Phone, watch, car, in fact most material things.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I got the 6 a few months after it came out (had maybe 3 years now) and it works perfectly, still looks like new and does everything I could want of a phone and loads more too no doubt.

I’ve no idea what I’m missing out on with newer phones but frankly I don’t care, I don’t miss what I don’t know about.
    I'm in exactly the same position. Got the 6 quickly after release, still using daily, no great desire for the X!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Function is only part of the motivation to own. If you’ve not realised that since you joined here, you’re not taking anything in. Phone, watch, car, in fact most material things.
    Yet the post I was replying to purely related to the function of the device, not aditional value as a result of the brand image..

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    The best iPhone for value has to be the 6.

£329.

At that price with apple's support it actually seems a bargain.
    If you don’t mind the smaller phone and older chassis, the SE is even better value @ £299.

A better A9 chip (A8 in the 6) and 2 Gb of RAM (1 Gb in the 6).

The SE is pretty much a 6S in a 5S body.

SE is best value, but I really need a 7+ screen size (for my fat fingers) in a smaller size body - I like to have my phone in my front pocket. The X would fit that - but given current spending, I think I’ll be waiting a while longer :(
    It's just a matter of time...

I scratched my itch with a Note 8.