closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Mrs has allowed me £4.5k

Master

The Mrs has allowed me £4.5k

For laser eye surgery. I’m kind of thinking I’d rather spend it on a nice new watch and stick with contacts.... this is going to cause some ructions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll probably need facial reconstruction surgery if you do!

Brave move...

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Brave move...

M

Blow the lot on a watch with great big numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    For laser eye surgery. I’m kind of thinking I’d rather spend it on a nice new watch and stick with contacts.... this is going to cause some ructions!!

You’ll struggle to find another GMT for £4.5k these days; best just have the surgery!

On second thoughts, have you considered the Explorer II?

Compromise, get a Speedy and have just the one eye done!

Master

Say you had it!!

Just tell her you had it done!! A few days with sore looking eyes(deep heat rubbed in the eyes)should be enough to convince her, then just say it’s not worked😳😳
    Obviously whilst all this is going on select your £4.5k watch and enjoy🤗🤗
    Hell you might aswell go the whole hog and take a few days off work sick(whilst you search for your new watch😉)

Chris

Order a Dornblüth and while you wait for a year while it's built save up more for the eye job. Win win, as you get the eyes done just before the watch arrives and can see the full beauty of it when it's delivered.
    F.T.F.A.

Have it done in the Czech Republic, you also get a holiday and plenty of change for a nice watch.

Master
    That’s nice of her

Master
    The ophthalmic sister in theatre where I work wouldn't get laser eye surgery. So I'd class that as medical advice. Enough to warrant spending it elsewhere as it is safer. Look after yourself, buy a watch

Master
    vasectomy > eye surgery.

In any case, get a rolex.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Allowed? ....grow a pair!

if you get a U-boat, you won't need your eyes fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    if you get a U-boat, you won't need your eyes fixed
    Yup, but he’ll still be able to afford the surgery too

Grand Master
    Im struggling with allowed! Are you a prisoner?
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post

Unless of course its her money, in which case do as she says. If not ^^^^^^

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

.... That's now how marriage works is it??

Journeyman
    get the watch..I work in Ophthalmology and the 11 consultants here all wear glasses

You may need another £500-1000 on top of that to get it done by the best surgeon, or possibly more depending on your current prescription. I had it done three years ago and being able to see properly is fantastic. Far better than any watch of any value.

Lots of brave talk here, but maybe £4.5K is a large amount for his family?

Spending it on eye surgery might be good value (my wife's a Dispensing Optician and she and all here Ophthalmic colleagues are against lazer surgery - You might argue it's their livelihood, but none of them have had it done and my wife tells me they get people in who have who have considerable worse eyesight than before, which can be difficult to correct with glasses), whereas squandering it on a bit of jewellery would be money better spent elsewhere.

I won't presume to know his circumstances.

Personally, I'd discuss a £4.5K watch purpose with my wife.

M

Craftsman
    I had laser eye surgery (the lenticular SMiLE technique) and it was the best thing I ever did. Worth ten watches.

Master
    I had the old eye operation, radial keratotomy, done over 30 years ago. Still almost perfect eyesight and never had any issues.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    .... That's now how marriage works is it??
    Not unless you're married to either Seadog or Andyg - it seems they're both fine with their wives blowing £4500 when ever they fancy, without even mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
    I had laser eye surgery (the lenticular SMiLE technique) and it was the best thing I ever did. Worth ten watches.
    Indeed. I realise we in the watch community are a little bit nuts at times but is anyone seriously suggesting buying a watch rather than improving one of their primary senses??

Master
    I once had several thousand pounds which I could spend on quite elaborate dental work, or a watch. Better not say which I chose; but I don't like surgery on my mouth.
    In this case, the eyes have it. And you can't part exchange or trade that,,,.

Master
    I don’t think it has to be a ultimatum thing as you could buy a sub if you add a little too the amount enjoy that for 6-12month sell it then get your eyes done ✅ both boxes ticked

Master

M
    There's a difference between discussion and permission. This sounded rather too much like the latter! :D

Lots of brave talk here, but maybe £4.5K is a large amount for his family?

Spending it on eye surgery might be good value (my wife's a Dispensing Optician and she and all here Ophthalmic colleagues are against lazer surgery - You might argue it's their livelihood, but none of them have had it done and my wife tells me they get people in who have who have considerable worse eyesight than before, which can be difficult to correct with glasses), whereas squandering it on a bit of jewellery would be money better spent elsewhere.

I won't presume to know his circumstances.

M
    It's very rare for someone to walk in to an optometrist with worse vision than previously. A high number don't bother coming in until reaching presbyopia, because they feel happy with their vision.

Done correctly, by a good surgeon in the right setting, it's very good. Done via a high street clinic, focused on selling? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    It's very rare for someone to walk in to an optometrist with worse vision than previously. A high number don't bother coming in until reaching presbyopia, because they feel happy with their vision.

Done correctly, by a good surgeon in the right setting, it's very good. Done via a high street clinic, focused on selling? No thanks.
    Perhaps your final point is the important one, obviously some people either buy cheap, convenient or without sufficient research.

Like with most things!

I have heard people extolling the virtues of having had their eyes 'done', but it's impossible to know without experiencing it yourself and it would seem, as you say, not all lazer surgery is equal.

Anyway, seems silly to value a watch over good eyesight. I hate wearing glasses (I need to now for reading and computer work), but lazer surgery doesn't help with that!

M

Master
    Guys - this was something of a tongue in cheek post and in varying degrees you’re all right - obviously, there will always be varying degrees of wealth, but £4.5K is a lot of money for me, with a large mortgage, kids, and a wife who doesn’t work. Also, there is no way at all I’d spend a chunk like that on anything without speaking to my wife who has control the purse strings - for the record I much prefer it that way!!

I can’t live with glasses, and have had contacts for the last 20 years or so, but in that time have had two (serious) eye infections resulting in many trips to Moorfields, all down to contacts lenses. Before anyone mentions it, I am FASTIDIOUS about hand cleanliness when it comes to contacts.

So I’ve made the decision (against my optometrists advice) to go for what is termed as “elective cosmetic surgery”.

Craftsman
    Must admit, I was thinking the same. I assume the post was made in jest.

EDIT. Having read the entire thread, I'm not so sure now! We all operate differently I guess.

Whilst we make large "joint" purchases jointly, we have a shared account we both pay into for household bills etc. Other than that, her money is hers and mine is mine. I wouldn't dream of telling her what to spend her money on and wouldn't expect her to question or dictate to me.

As it happens my last watch purchase was a Rolex, and no I did not seek permission!
    Last edited by Finners; 25th October 2017 at 19:15.

Master

Brave move...

M
    There won't be much of a face left to reconstruct IMO!

Journeyman
    Before you proceed with this permanent life changing surgery you need to seriously consider the longterm impact to your wellbeing. Ask yourself this, have you ever before seen the Mrs first thing in the morning with your contacts on.

Seriously though, good luck !

Master
    Forget the surgery - get a Rolex.

From experience they never tell the right time anyway so no need to look , and there's a great big cyclops thingie to see the date which is usually near enough every other month

JP

PS I've worn lenses for 30 years. If I'd had the laser stuff when it was first offered, I could have a nice PP with the savings I suspect and if you can see this, get the Rolex
    Last edited by stiglet; 25th October 2017 at 22:05. Reason: to add post scriptum

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I had the old eye operation, radial keratotomy, done over 30 years ago. Still almost perfect eyesight and never had any issues.

So had a former colleague of mine, around the same time, (also in NI) with the same result. He went from pretty poor eyesight to 20/20 vision, which is still as good as ever.

Guys - this was something of a tongue in cheek post and in varying degrees you’re all right - obviously, there will always be varying degrees of wealth, but £4.5K is a lot of money for me, with a large mortgage, kids, and a wife who doesn’t work. Also, there is no way at all I’d spend a chunk like that on anything without speaking to my wife who has control the purse strings - for the record I much prefer it that way!!

I can’t live with glasses, and have had contacts for the last 20 years or so, but in that time have had two (serious) eye infections resulting in many trips to Moorfields, all down to contacts lenses. Before anyone mentions it, I am FASTIDIOUS about hand cleanliness when it comes to contacts.

So I’ve made the decision (against my optometrists advice) to go for what is termed as “elective cosmetic surgery”.

Go to Moorfields for the surgery. But don't forget that post 40 you'll likely need near vision spectacles regardless.

It works much the same way in my house and I am very happy not dealing with money at all, everything goes to one account and I rarely take any money out or carry any cash at all, all big purchases are discussed and that suits me.

it works for us and I think the 'man up' comments are pathetic to be honest, my brother used to say the same until one day I popped round to his house and his wife was eating a Chinese takeaway and he was munching on a sandwich, he explained that he was a bit skint and gutted he couldnt afford to have any... they were later divorced

As for your eyes, I was wondering why you cannot deal with glasses? I was the same until I found a particular pair that I could deal with wearing all day, i found my first couple of pairs impossible

Good luck and hope it goes well

I've had laser, twice. I currently need contacts. I'm considering a third surgery, but watch purchases keep getting in the way ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    So had a former colleague of mine, around the same time, (also in NI) with the same result. He went from pretty poor eyesight to 20/20 vision, which is still as good as ever.
    The other plus point is that back then it was on the NHS, so that means I can buy another Rolex....
    On a serious note, a friend of similar vintage to myself got his vision corrected by laser and no longer needs glasses for day to day. However he now needs reading glasses, which he didn't before, and I understand that is a common side effect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post

As for your eyes, I was wondering why you cannot deal with glasses? I was the same until I found a particular pair that I could deal with wearing all day, i found my first couple of pairs impossible
    I’ve tried pair after pair over the last 25 or so years. I eventually got contacts for a few reasons, I was playing a fair amount of snooker and Rugby in the old days and contacts were much easier, I am yet to find a pair of glasses that suit my face and when I do wear them (as I am at the moment) everything in my peripheral vision seems slightly curved - most glasses have a “sweet spot”. Walking across London at rush hour yesterday was a ridiculous experience, I must have bumped into 10 people, and driving is terrifying!

Buy two Submariners, chip the Cyclops off, pop them in your eyes... contacts for life with superhero x2.5 magnification. Sell one sub at a profit because you have now 'added value' to it, keep the other. Easy.

Banned
    If I had to get permission from my mrs to spend, I’d gauge my own eyes out.

Craftsman
    Nice a very wide choice of watches