closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: eBay selling advice - posting to Hong Kong

eBay selling advice - posting to Hong Kong

Hello,

I haven't done much watch selling on eBay, but I have one on for £350 and a guy wants me to post it to Hong Kong. I've heard a few horror stories would I be better of ploietly declining and holding out for a UK sale?

I've never had an hassle on eBay.

And advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

I think there is a tangible risk, so would hold out for UK sale (EU at a push)

Al

I'd say no unless you enrol in eBay global shipping. That way you only have to post to eBay's UK centre and they take responsibility from there for shipping, customs etc

Master

Depends?

I’ve sold two watches to people in Hong Kong in the last 10years and both times it’s been ok but my experience may be rare?!?
    As long as you check the buyer out I suppose it’s then just down to the postal company??? Can’t remember who I used?

I genuinely got more money for my watches as they were mid size Tudors and I presumed their taste over there was for smaller watches or at least it was then?

If you feel uneasy about it then don’t take the risk as it’s just not worth it?!?

Chris

Journeyman
    Tbh
    I generally never liked the thought of sending high value items abroad.
    No one can afford to lose, replace £350 so I wouldn’t
    If it’s £50 even then I wouldn’t want to take that risk

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've had issues the other way when ordering from Hong Kong on ebay, so I've be steering clear personally

thanks all.

The global postage system looks like a good option - he's gone very quite so might not have to worry :)

Thanks all.

M

I’ve sent some vintage Omega parts using the Global shipping programme without any issues.
    It looks expensive to the buyer but it includes all customs charges too so they’ve nothing else to pay or worry about.
    The seller only has to send it to a UK address so there’s no problems on the seller’s side either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I'd say no unless you enrol in eBay global shipping. That way you only have to post to eBay's UK centre and they take responsibility from there for shipping, customs etc
    Indeed, once it has left the GSP centre in Staffordshire it becomes eBay's problem (see my response below).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’ve sent some vintage Omega parts using the Global shipping programme without any issues.
    It looks expensive to the buyer but it includes all customs charges too so they’ve nothing else to pay or worry about.
    The seller only has to send it to a UK address so there’s no problems on the seller’s side either.
    I recently sold a working movement to the US via the GPS. Buyer claimed it arrived not working. I suggested he open a return request citing damaged in transit, I then responded by saying it was damaged in transit by eBay's international couriers. Upshot was, eBay refunded the buyer themselves, and declared me not at fault. I have confidence in the system after that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Evanssprky View Post
    Indeed, once it has left the GSP centre in Staffordshire it becomes eBay's problem (see my response below).

I recently sold a working movement to the US via the GPS. Buyer claimed it arrived not working. I suggested he open a return request citing damaged in transit, I then responded by saying it was damaged in transit by eBay's international couriers. Upshot was, eBay refunded the buyer themselves, and declared me not at fault. I have confidence in the system after that.
    What happens if the buyer swaps out the movement/parts and then claims you posted a fake/franken etc? I doubt you'll succeed in arguig that Ebay were to blame. Looking at the GSP, it really doesn't look like you're covered for anything more than loss or damage, so you are far from risk free. Mostly the GSP is just seems to be a way of protecting seller feedback ratings.

Well he's gone for it via GPS... No payment as yet. So we'll see.

Thanks all.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Re: Hafle. Didn't claim it was risk free, the same risks apply to posting something ten miles down the road, the buyer can do exactly what you have described wherever they are. But the GPS removes the risk of light fingered and or ham fisted posties etc once it leaves Blighty.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Evanssprky; 24th October 2017 at 15:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markblack View Post
    Well he's gone for it via GPS... No payment as yet. So we'll see.

Thanks all.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Good luck :)