closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Reusing Granite Kitchen Countertops? Worth it?

Reusing Granite Kitchen Countertops? Worth it?

Another Mumsnet/Moneysavingexpert post from me.

A friend had just bought a new house and doesn't like the kitchen, this includes the solid granite countertops. He said I could have the countertops. Otherwise he'll just dump them/let the kitchen fitter take them away.

I like the countertops and it would be a shame to see them go to waste. Does anyone have any experience in using used countertops?

I've got no experience with granite, never really been able to afford it. I'm unsure if the expense of granite is in the material itself or the labour to cut/fit/etc..?

Overall is it worth reusing or just starting from scratch? Am I searching for a bargain that isn't really there?

In case it makes any difference, I'm looking at 7-8 metres worth of countertop.

Master
    That's a lot of money right there he's planning on throwing away. If you don't want it, at least stick it on ebay with a reserve at say 50% of whatever it would cost to buy that size and shape. Lot's of online calculators where you can work out what that exact dimension would cost to buy. And a shiply quote to find out how much to deliver it.

Why would it no longer be useful, it's millions of years old, 10years in a kitchen isn't going to ruin it.

If you were in Malta I'd say don't hesitate to go for it. Granite can be recut, re-filled and polished and if you are short of what you need it can be matched. But we have a relatively enormous number of marble/granite suppliers and fitters for a small island and the cost of getting the work done would be considerably lower than in the UK.

Your friend doesn't need another friend does he? I'd snatch his arms off.

Of course. Even if you don't use it in the kitchen it can still be cut and re-purposed.

I recently was given some large slate tiles which I made into a plant tub for the garden. Worked a treat, but needs 2 people to carry

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Of course. Even if you don't use it in the kitchen it can still be cut and re-purposed.

I recently was given some large slate tiles which I made into a plant tub for the garden. Worked a treat, but needs 2 people to carry
    Seems like a waste just getting rid of them. You could also use them outside if you made an outdoor cooking area. We left a (smallish) slab of lovely black granite at our last place and I wish we'd brought it with us as it would have worked really well outside.

I assume it is granite composite?

I have marble composite worktop (which I'm not keen on) and looked at enlarging the hole in the centre island - to take a larger hob. Then I looked at what was required to get it out to the garden to get it water-jetted, and decided to put up with the standard hob..........

I think what you have to be very carful of - is where the worktop is weakened by the cutting out of the 'slot' for a hob or a sink unit. The support required and the ability to maintain that support during all the manoeuvring and transport might prove quite onerous.

But - if it is straight lengths, then I am sure it has a decent resale value, especially if it also includes up stands in the same material.

Just thoughts

Thanks for the replies guys and the tips about moving, etc...

I'll definitely take them off of him and find a use.

Does anyone know of anyone in the Milton Keynes / Buckinghamshire area who can cut and work with granite?

[curmudgeon]

Countertops? What is this, America?

[/curmudgeon]