closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quick Dirty Twins

Quick Dirty Twins

As I’ve added another to my sets of twins, I thought I’d take a couple of quick (and they are quite awful) pics.

I’m also cheating slightly on the SMP ceramics, and should have used the 16600 Sea-Dwellers instead.

So it’s been a while since I’ve seen some nice pairs, so if you have a nice pair please get them out - remember to use the appropriate part of the forum though :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    That’s a pretty sexy collection and although I don’t personally get the ploprof is looks nice in there
    Well done

Well apart from the Sea-dwellers, I think that’s all the duplicates I have (apart from G-Shocks); the rest are standalone watch models. The Ploprof is one of my favourite watches - they are just so well made imo, much better than most current Omegas. Although I think the new Naiad lock models are right up there, and so they should be for the price!

A quick flash from me - I like to think a rather fine pair:

Master
    Ok, I'll bite. Why? I have a couple of watches that are from the same brand but having sets of identical models? What am I missing...?

SGR

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    As I’ve added another to my sets of twins, I thought I’d take a couple of quick (and they are quite awful) pics.

I’m also cheating slightly on the SMP ceramics, and should have used the 16600 Sea-Dwellers instead.

So it’s been a while since I’ve seen some nice pairs, so if you have a nice pair please get them out - remember to use the appropriate part of the forum though :)
    what is your reasoning for all the doubles? also divers that are essentially all the same anyway, a single set of those seems like too much overlap, let alone doubles of them all!!

Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    Ok, I'll bite. Why? I have a couple of watches that are from the same brand but having sets of identical models? What am I missing...?

SGR
    To be honest I really don’t know. It started when I was a little more organised in my collecting. I would buy one to wear and put the other unworn in the safe. Then I had a sell off to reduce, and then clear my mortgage, so most of the duplicates were sold off. In some cases I had many more than two! Since then I’ve found myself drawn to the same watches, so I buy nice examples of what I like when I can. I’d rather have a box of Rolex divers, and or Omega divers, than a Patek Perpetual calender for example.

I have the Ploprof on both bracelet and rubber. I always wanted the black bay on the leather strap and clasp, as well as the bracelet, and I’m happy that I’ve managed to add that this week.

On reflection, I think I’m just a little OCD. It’s probably just based on some compulsive repetitive behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    what is your reasoning for all the doubles? also divers that are essentially all the same anyway, a single set of those seems like too much overlap, let alone doubles of them all!!
    I have a lot more variety in my overall collection these days, but I do much prefer a minimum 100m WR limit. In fact it used to be a bit of a deal breaker for me, but this is no longer the case.

Craftsman
    i look at those rows of near identical divers and just think what I could get from Lange for that ££. Each to their own!

Quick Dirty Twins

Don't be fooled into thinking that logic or reason have any significant part to play in the mind of a collector.

i look at those rows of near identical divers and just think what I could get from Lange for that ££. Each to their own!
    I do like the look of a couple of L&S, but I don’t follow the brand enough to buy in. I prefer, in order, my Rolex, Omega, and Patek. I can’t see much changing that.

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Don't be fooled into thinking that logic or reason have any significant part to play in the mind of a collector.
    Indeed - lovely pair posted above too

Craftsman
    surely you could swap a few of those for a patter 5146?!

Craftsman
    *patek* not had that auto correct before!

Craftsman
    I’m biting too! Having two of each seems bonkers - albeit they are a lovely collection...

Do you not wonder what other wonderful pieces you could sub in to replace the duplicate?!?

It’s so bonkers it’s almost cool...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surely you could swap a few of those for a patter 5146?!
    I could, but I honestly prefer the Aquanaut and Nautilus lines, and the cheapest complicated Patek I like is the 5370, which at around $250k is more than I would ever have in one watch - the other I can’t remember the model number for was around £750k! :(

Quote Originally Posted by Rossmore10 View Post
    I’m biting too! Having two of each seems bonkers - albeit they are a lovely collection...

Do you not wonder what other wonderful pieces you could sub in to replace the duplicate?!?

It’s so bonkers it’s almost cool...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve tried lots of watches, and have quite a few of my all time favourite watches already in the safe, so see no need to sell some of my duplicates to buy some other wonderful pieces - I’ll just save up and add the ones I want when I can afford them.

Oooh, luvleh, simpleh luvleh..

I agree that trying to understand the mind of a collector is often wasted effort and like others I struggle to see why you would need two identical watches. I would be tempted to sell the spares and buy something else with the money.

But then again, taking madness to new levels...

I could tell you a story about dirty twins that would make your teeth curl. Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I could tell you a story about dirty twins that would make your teeth curl. Seriously
    Suitable for BP...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Brilliant!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    To be honest I really don’t know. It started when I was a little more organised in my collecting. I would buy one to wear and put the other unworn in the safe. Then I had a sell off to reduce, and then clear my mortgage, so most of the duplicates were sold off. In some cases I had many more than two! Since then I’ve found myself drawn to the same watches, so I buy nice examples of what I like when I can. I’d rather have a box of Rolex divers, and or Omega divers, than a Patek Perpetual calender for example.

I have the Ploprof on both bracelet and rubber. I always wanted the black bay on the leather strap and clasp, as well as the bracelet, and I’m happy that I’ve managed to add that this week.

On reflection, I think I’m just a little OCD. It’s probably just based on some compulsive repetitive behaviour.
    Fantastic collection. Lots of internal oohs and aahs going on. Look after them. They are lovely.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I agree that trying to understand the mind of a collector is often wasted effort and like others I struggle to see why you would need two identical watches. I would be tempted to sell the spares and buy something else with the money.

For some reason I looked at this pic and my mind burst into, “five little orient girls sitting on a wall, one called......” well I’m sure you know the song.

Jim

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

ok that is another level lol

two Tudors, two Rolex I can understand..but two identical ploprof not 600 vs 1200...that's first time to learn someone really did that, one for use and one for appreciation.

Master
    Ooh er, Missus, that is a nice pair...

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    two Tudors, two Rolex I can understand..but two identical ploprof not 600 vs 1200...that's first time to learn someone really did that, one for use and one for appreciation.
    Ones on a rubber and the fantastic clasp, and the other on bracelet. They are a bit of a pain to swap over. Plus they are imho a great value watch when you look at the price of a new Planet Ocean or a Sub.

Ooooooo very nice and two very different looks! Excellent

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Ones on a rubber and the fantastic clasp, and the other on bracelet. They are a bit of a pain to swap over. Plus they are imho a great value watch when you look at the price of a new Planet Ocean or a Sub.
    I believe that it is an icon for all die-hard diver watch lovers but too bad it doesn't hold its value, or should I say appreciate over the years like Rolex.

Mine says hi

Q&D of my non-identical twins!

Master
    Very cool collection....I don’t think I’ve seen so many twins together at one time.

Craftsman
    I have one set of twins (CW C60 tridents in black) but I wear one on bracelet and the other is on a rotation of straps. Couldn't see myself having such expensive twins.

Master
    Ive had a few pairs and tend to buy from a small circle of brands in general.

2 pairs i currently have are these. Same model but different enough for me to enjoy:

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I like those different variants of the same watch - it gives two completely different looks. Much more sensible than some of mine!