closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1000th Post -SOTC

1000th Post -SOTC

Hi all
    Be warned this is a looooooongggg post....

For a change I used my laptop to reply to a post this morning instead of the app and noticed I have managed to post 999 bits of waffle here over the last few years.
    As I had a bit of spare time this afternoon I thought I would post a SOTC for my 1000th.
    I should warn you that there are no exotic bits in the collection, no mega rare watches or watches that have been on the arm of a trooper on the balcony of the Iranian embassy, just watches I like and that suit my lifestyle. (A dainty gold dress watch just would not look right on me).
    That said all of my watches are of a 'tool' nature and some have been used by various armed forces, I guess I collect military type watches as a result of my interest in history and because my father and grandfather were both in the military at some point (signals and RM respectively) both of whom love(d) watches and this is where I caught the bug but I tend to stay away from issued pieces as I am not a Walt.
    Apologies in advance for the cr@p photos, David Bailey I am not!

This is where is started for me. I wore the gold bezel Wingman at school everyday for about 3 years, the original strap is long gone and the crystal shows all the wear that a teenage lad would impose on a watch.
    The later black bezel Wingman was a replacement for the watch my parents bought me for my 18th I found it on line a few years ago after searching for years. I lost the original p1ssed in Reading one night many years ago.

The first 'nice' watch I bought was a Speedmaster reduced when I was 21. I wanted the pro but could not afford it. About 4 years ago I sold the reduced and bought a brand new pro. Prices of the reduced then doubled over night! The Seamaster was bought on here a few years ago, it's a great watch and is as smart a watch I am comfy wearing. I wear it on the Omega NATO although the bracelet is a work of art, I am just not a bracelet type of bloke.

After the Speedmaster reduced came a Sinn 903 when I was about 24. I love this watch and I love the brand. I wanted a Navitimer at the time but when I saw this I had to have it. It really is an underrated Chronograph.
    The U1 is a watch I wanted after reading the the book 'The Watch' so I bought one from Jura when they had a shop off Bond St.
    I bought he 155 a few years ago. I love the look of the Heuer Bund and this has a nice link to them in the fact it has the original type case and it's made by Sinn who made / refurbished the originals.

My love of aviation means pilots watch feature quite heavily in the collection. Fortis is another brand I loved as a kid, the connection to space travel / Pilots was the draw. I bought this when I was about 25 and its watch that gets comments every time I wear it. The Glycine is an original from the late 50s early 60s it's a great little watch that was serviced by The watch bloke a couple of years ago and it's running perfectly. The Tutima has just returned from Duncan, a great watch but not to be worn with a shirt as it's so thick. It's an early example made in West Germany with the rarer Tach bezel.

These two are direct result of my love of aviation / military history a Waltham A11 from 1944 and a Waltham A17 from 1951 both were issued to the USAF.

WW2 vintage watches, 2 ATPs 1KM and a record WWW.

I have small collection of US military issued watches, my nickname here should have been MarathonLover as I seem to have all of them bar the Chronograph and I am sure that will end up in the watch box at some point. They are pictured with a Stocker and Yale and a Traser. I bought the Hamilton NOS a few months ago.

Everyone should have a Seiko I guess. The MM300 is the first watch I have owned that has made me think do I need others. I think it's that good. The 6309 has aftermarket dial, bezel and hands and I am currently looking for original parts to return it to its original state.

I love a Snowflake hand set. The 7016 is all original as far as I am aware complete with dial rot. It's the only watch I constantly get pestered to part with when I walk it to dealers, picture ado not do it justice, in the flesh I think it looks ace. The Pelagos is a watch that I wanted from the minute it was announced as soon as they hit the shops one was mine. I am thinking about buying a blue dial with in house as well.

I quite like a flieger type watch although they rarely get worn.

I have a few of Eddies watches, in terms of bang for buck it's hard to beat them.

If you have read this far I am almost there I promise...

CWC is another brand I love although their prices are getting to be a joke. I also have a CWC issued Chronograph somewhere but can't find it which is worrying!!!!!!

Lastly...

The odds and ends, like Seiko everyone should have a Bostok I bought this for £10 at a fair whilst looking for Willys jeep parts (that's another passion) the Helson is a great homage to the Ploprof I wear it on an isofrane and it's quite a lump. The 3646 homage was also bought from SC. I would love an original but it's out of my league currently. This watch has the same case structure as the original (unlike the modern versions) it a great watch but every time I wear it I do get a bit of pang as I know it's not an original Kampfschwimmer version.

I forgot 2!

A Hamilton 6B and Seiko Gen 2. Don't know how I forgot them they are 2 of my favourites.

Anyway if you have got this far, thank you for reading and I hope you found it interesting.

I would also be interested in hearing what people migh suggest I add. I am drawn to LW (hence my other thread)

Cheers

John
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 23rd October 2017 at 19:20. Reason: Forgot 2 watches and added an additional question

That’s a fantastic collection.
    I love the Seamaster and the MM300 and both Tudors stand out to me.
    Great to see some diversity too, you haven’t focused on just one style. Lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a spectacular collection - thanks for detailing it.

I particularly like the two watches with the ribbed/knurled (not sure the correct term) bezel/cases.

Al

Master
    I went back and counted. I make it 43 in total pictured! Amazing collection, and it makes me feel much better about having 11 plus g shock. Are there some that you never wear, and any favourites for wearing?

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks all
    It's taken a few years to get here. I am not much of a flipper more a hoarder.
    I don't tend to wear the the issued watches much.
    Since the arrival of the MM300 and SBS CWC nothing much else gets a look in.
    I have been thinking about what might added next, but there is nothing out there that grabs me, the Speedy Tuesday came and went in 24 hours so who knows.

Nice selection and variety there
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Superb collection you have, my kind of watches!
    Thanks for showing.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's a great collection. Tudor snowflake and the ww2s are my standouts.

Journeyman
    A lot of watches I’d happily hang on my wrist, I definitely need a seiko and a sinn is likely to appear at some point once I get into my stride, lovely collection and post.

What a wonderful collection. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you all
    I had a bit of a doubt whilst writing the post, would anyone would find my choices interesting because you see so many fantastic watches on here.
    Thanks for the kind comments.

One of the most interesting posts for a long time, thanks. Can you tell me anything about the KM? I recognise the other makes in that picture but not that one.

Excellent collection, and serving a great purpose in making the rest of us feel slightly less guilty about the number of watches we have. The U1 isn't something I've looked at before but you've piqued my interest in that, amongst others.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    One of the most interesting posts for a long time, thanks. Can you tell me anything about the KM? I recognise the other makes in that picture but not that one.
    Thanks
    The KM is an Alpinia. (592)
    I bought it on its original strap but changed it so it can be worn. (I still have the strap in the watch box)
    Unfortunately it has the 70s minty green lume from a bad relume
    This might have to be looked at in the future, that said I have only ever worn it once!
    It turns out I am not comfortable wearing something issued by the NAZI Kreigsmarine but it fills a slot in the collection.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 23rd October 2017 at 21:22.

I need a Glycine Airman in my life. Such a great piece.

And the rest of them too! Really, really lovely set.

What an outstanding collection so diverse and so personal to you. A lot of watches there I would be happy to own and a few I never knew about which I am now on lookout for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Thanks
    The KM is an Alpinia. (592)
    It turns out I am not comfortable wearing something issued by the NAZI Kreigsmarine but it fills a slot in the collection.
    Thanks. I had a quick google, that's a nice movement. I've got a few watches filed in the 'one day...' draw.

I know what you mean about wearing the KM. I guess most in the military were just ordinary sailors/soldiers etc., just like on all sides.

Craftsman
    Fantastic collection. It’s the type that I would like to build. I have had U1 and a SBS and have sold them both. Decisions that I have regretted ever since! I would love to re buy the SBS but as you said, prices have gone crazy.