closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Deep Sea scratched glass

Craftsman

Rolex Deep Sea scratched glass

I am contemplating buying a Rolex Deep Sea and was offered one with a scratch to the glass . the watch was first sold in 2016 so no need for a service but when I called Rolex to ask about the cost of a new glass they said it would only be done as part of a service! They told me because the movement has to come out of the case it has to be serviced . A pretty lame excuse in my book to extract circa £500 from a customer without any good reason . Why would they need to service it ? Are there workshops dusty or their watchmakers hamfisted !!?? Happy to pay for the glass of course . This is almost sharp practice surely? if I take my car in for new tyres I dont get told the engine needs to be rebuilt!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaitch View Post
    I am contemplating buying a Rolex Deep Sea and was offered one with a scratch to the glass . the watch was first sold in 2016 so no need for a service but when I called Rolex to ask about the cost of a new glass they said it would only be done as part of a service! They told me because the movement has to come out of the case it has to be serviced . A pretty lame excuse in my book to extract circa £500 from a customer without any good reason . Why would they need to service it ? Are there workshops dusty or their watchmakers hamfisted !!?? Happy to pay for the glass of course . This is almost sharp practice surely? if I take my car in for new tyres I dont get told the engine needs to be rebuilt!
    Hate to think what a new crystal costs, but it will not be cheap thats for sure. I think you could at least double the service cost.

Master
    We all know the rules and Rolex have always done this. If you don't like the rules, buy something else, your choice.

How bad is the scratch, could you live with it until it IS due for a service? If you were getting the DSSD at a decent discount, it might be worth it?

In terms of cost, the parts will be a fair whack. Such is the running cost of a luxury item.

That said, you don't have to go to Rolex. There are several independent watchmakers - some on this forum - that work on Rolexes. Sorry I can't name which (my list is a little outdated) but I'm sure someone can come along soon to give you that info.

Must have been a decent knock to scratch the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    In terms of cost, the parts will be a fair whack. Such is the running cost of a luxury item.

That said, you don't have to go to Rolex. There are several independent watchmakers - some on this forum - that work on Rolexes. Sorry I can't name which (my list is a little outdated) but I'm sure someone can come along soon to give you that info.
    Not true, most will not touch a Deepsea as most do not have pressure test tools that can prove water resistance to that depth rating.

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Not true, most will not touch a Deepsea as most do not have pressure test tools that can prove water resistance to that depth rating.
    I'm open to learning something new every day!

Master
    I was told the same when I enquired about a new crystal for my EXP2. They quoted about 500 for the service and 120 for the crystal. I should imagine that a dssd crystal will be quite a bit more.
    In my case, I will just live with it until the watch needs serviced anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

you can easily rack up a bill nearing £ 1'000 once service incorporated the crystal is something most repairers will avoid on DSSD / SDC for reasons already mentioned 'pressure testing' etc

crystal is nearly 5mm thick !!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=449875

If you want to buy the watch, simply factor in the cost of a service and the new crystal.
    I would anticipate somewhere North of £800.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    you can easily rack up a bill nearing £ 1'000 once service incorporated the crystal is something most repairers will avoid on DSSD / SDC for reasons already mentioned 'pressure testing' etc

crystal is nearly 5mm thick !!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=449875
    I bought a 16520 Daytona last year in the full knowledge that the service charge is double that of a Sub. You know that and you live with it. If you can't live with it, buy something else. I ran Jaguars for 22 years and I accepted high service costs. It was my choice and that's it. The last thing you do is bleat about it.

Craftsman
    could you live with the scratch? if so use it to get the price down, or just look for another one

Grand Master
    From memory they are £135 for Deepsea
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    From memory they are £135 for Deepsea
    And, from memory, £550 for the basic service.

Grand Master
    Yeah so live with it till servicing time and add a few more

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    How bad is the scratch, could you live with it until it IS due for a service? If you were getting the DSSD at a decent discount, it might be worth it?
    How bad.

You might be able to polish perfectly smooth with the right diamond paste and a lot of careful effort/patience - I’ve managed that on a few sapphire crystals before.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    If you don't plan on diving to its depth rating and plan on keeping would an independent watchmaker be able to test to thier maximum test ie most likley a sub depth rating?
    Also depending on how bad the scratch is id live with it but make sure to get it for a good price but factor it in on a service cost in the future

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    How bad.

You might be able to polish perfectly smooth with the right diamond paste and a lot of careful effort/patience - I’ve managed that on a few sapphire crystals before.
    DSSD is domed though...that's gotta add a layer of complication to prevent obvious flat spots.

Craftsman

Rolex Deep Sea scratched glass

There’s no way round this, or if there is I’m yet to find it and I have tried

Rolex service plus glass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I bought a 16520 Daytona last year in the full knowledge that the service charge is double that of a Sub. You know that and you live with it. If you can't live with it, buy something else. I ran Jaguars for 22 years and I accepted high service costs. It was my choice and that's it. The last thing you do is bleat about it.
    The only one bleating, as far as I can tell, is you.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    DSSD is domed though...that's gotta add a layer of complication to prevent obvious flat spots.
    Youd need hours to cause a flat spot - most marks/scores are usually very shallow

Plus worth a try if the option is replacement anyway
    It's just a matter of time...

Polish most of the scratch out. I mean, how bad is it?

Get some 3 micron, 0.5 micron, diamond polishing paste and an old teeshirt. Masking tape around where the scratch isn't (and this'll avoid paste in the bezel) and set yourself a tedious hour of polishing. Depending on the size of the mark, you'll remove 90% of the evidence.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post

My understanding is that the DSSD can't even be opened without tools that Rolex won't supply. This is THE model that's impossible to have serviced outside an RSC - even if you don't care about the depth rating.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    My understanding is that the DSSD can't even be opened without tools that Rolex won't supply. This is THE model that's impossible to have serviced outside an RSC - even if you don't care about the depth rating.
    That’s not quite true but it needs a good set of hands not a have a go enthusiast independent to address. Personally I’d send to Rolex

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    You beat me too it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Oh deary deary me, anything for a retort eh.

My point is simple, if you buy a Rolex you know it is going to be fairly expensive to maintain and the smallest repair stands a high chance of involving a service. If you can't live with that, buy another brand.

My point is simple, if you buy a Rolex you know it is going to be fairly expensive to maintain and the smallest repair stands a high chance of involving a service. If you can't live with that, buy another brand.
    Baaa ...

Craftsman

I must say I disagree with your comment . The watch is still covered under warranty so if something went wrong with it Rolex would cover it apart from damage by misuse . So why would removing a movement from the watch to replace the glass necessitate a full movement service when Rolex already guarantee the movement for 5 years ?
    Are they saying that a scratched glass invalidates the guarantee however small it is ?
    As we know these movements are quite sturdy and the skills of the Rolex watchmakers should be to a trained level not to damage it on removal and their working conditions are such that dirt and debris would not enter the movement . So why is a service necessary ?
    I can see no valid reason for it other than to fleece a customer for work that is not needed .
    Like I said before if your car needed tyres or a windscreen you wouldn’t be happy being told they are only available with a full engine rebuild .

Journeyman
    I would look for another watch. Plenty of fish in the sea.

Unless the price is amazing I'd be staying well clear of this headache!

Master
    I must say I disagree with your comment . The watch is still covered under warranty so if something went wrong with it Rolex would cover it apart from damage by misuse . So why would removing a movement from the watch to replace the glass necessitate a full movement service when Rolex already guarantee the movement for 5 years ?
    Are they saying that a scratched glass invalidates the guarantee however small it is ?
    As we know these movements are quite sturdy and the skills of the Rolex watchmakers should be to a trained level not to damage it on removal and their working conditions are such that dirt and debris would not enter the movement . So why is a service necessary ?
    I can see no valid reason for it other than to fleece a customer for work that is not needed .
    Like I said before if your car needed tyres or a windscreen you wouldn’t be happy being told they are only available with a full engine rebuild .
    I think you are better off buying something else.

Master
    I think you are better off buying something else.
    You’re both right. Mick is right that it is what it is and there’s nothing you can do about it, so go in with your eyes open or not at all. Tomaitch is right that it is ludicrous. Let’s not turn it into another barney shall we?