Thread: The new Toxicity charge

Master

The new Toxicity charge

Check if you are affected :

T charge:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emi...charge-checker

ULEZ

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...k-your-vehicle

I was very pleased to see that my 2003 V8 lexus is not liable for the new charge (being an "early adopter" of lower emissions)

B
    Last edited by Brian; 23rd October 2017 at 11:24.

I have two low volume sports cars, 2005 1nd 2008, both chargeable, funny that the engine provider cars qualify

Seems overly complicated, all these different schemes and zones.

TFL website also.

Blog Entries
    Just checked re my Mini Cooper Works reg in 2006 good to see that it will not be subject to an extra charge unfortunately i have to be in London at the beginning of Nov it’s a place i avoid like the plague.

Hello

Although I agree that pollution needs to be addressed. I don’t see why the ordinary tax payer should be out of pocket over it.

The Mayor has said this will cost 7million a year. Surely there is a better way of tackling this issue.

I'm on an extremely sloooooow connection, so can someone confirm what the amount of the daily charge for ULEZ is please?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    That's interesting. Of my cars:

2010 Defender 2.4 Diesel, 2002 Porsche 996 and 1964 Land Rover Series 2a (petrol) - not subject to the T charge.

1991 Range Rover 3.9 V8 - is subject to the T charge

Not that I am concerned as long as this stays as a London thing..............
    Last edited by Gurmot; 23rd October 2017 at 12:55.

Got to pay for my LPG powered vehicle.. ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    I don’t see why the ordinary tax payer should be out of pocket over it..
    Why not, we caused the problem and we suffer the consequences.

Master
    Listening to Mr Khan's comments earlier about 10-20% of those liable to pay upgrading their cars with a few months did make me wonder if it was just all about pollution.
    Last edited by Puntsdog; 24th October 2017 at 19:59. Reason: Spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Why not, we caused the problem and we suffer the consequences.

Private vehicles are responsible for 8% of the emissions.

How about local councils and government setting an example and making all buses, fire engines, ambulances, dustcarts etc etc electric.
    Oh no, sod that, it's too expensive. Let the proles part with their money.

If Khan and TFL really wanted to kerb emissions they'd stop all older private vehicles entering London, full stop...... But they won't do that as there's no money to be made.

Grand Master
    Thank goodness London is taking this seriously and not doing anything daft like building another runway at Heathrow.

Thank the Lord I don't have to visit the overpriced, overpopulated, congested hell hole very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Thank the Lord I don't have to visit the overpriced, overpopulated, congested hell hole very often.
    Praise be to god, there's enough provincial types and tourists blocking the pavement and standing on the wrong side of the escalator as it is
    At least there will be less pollution now.

Thing is people In the provinces think it's just in london but it can actually be worse in other parts of the county when you look at the real time maps for No2 and ozone not just pm10/pm25 particulates.

Master
    Another tax on the poor who can't simply upgrade out of the charge.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Got to pay for my LPG powered vehicle.. ...

Which is ridiculous. Is there any way to appeal?

LPG is not as clean as people think, i guess it was originally about saving money rather than reducing emissions?

https://www.nettinc.com/information/...re-lpg-engines

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Praise be to god, there's enough provincial types and tourists blocking the pavement and standing on the wrong side of the escalator as it is
    At least there will be less pollution now.

Thing is people In the provinces think it's just in london but it can actually be worse in other parts of the county when you look at the real time maps for No2 and ozone not just pm10/pm25 particulates.
    And of course those trendy wood burners - pollution specials.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

If you see any blue smoke and coughing pedestrians that will be me on my exempt 1967 2-stoke Lambretta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    If you see any blue smoke and coughing pedestrians that will be me on my exempt 1967 2-stoke Lambretta

Just put my 1977 Kawasaki triple cylinder 250 two smoke in, exempt!!

To put this into contex , when I pull away quickly from the lights the bike leaves blue smoke trails the Red Arrows would be proud of.

Seems strange how the checker validates emissions!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Unlike the cheap, underpopulated, VIP luxury hellhole that is Staffs!
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Private vehicles are responsible for 8% of the emissions.

How about local councils and government setting an example and making all buses, fire engines, ambulances, dustcarts etc etc electric.
    Oh no, sod that, it's too expensive. Let the proles part with their money.

If Khan and TFL really wanted to kerb emissions they'd stop all older private vehicles entering London, full stop...... But they won't do that as there's no money to be made.
    Emergency service vehicles are not exempt from LEZ or the new ULEZ & i believe electric powered vehicles are in the early project stages for some of the services .
    Last edited by spanner monkey; 24th October 2017 at 20:23.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post

To put this into contex , when I pull away quickly from the lights the bike leaves blue smoke trails the Red Arrows would be proud of.

And from next May we won't need an MOT either

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post

Motorcycles are currently exempt. They contribute less than 1% to emmisions.

Motorcycles are currently exempt. They contribute less than 1% to emmisions.
    So does my car.

Left London 2 years ago having realised it’s rapidly becoming a haven for the rich and privileged who enjoy crowds, insanely high prices, social division and dirty air. Been a Londoner my whole life and wish I’d left years ago!
    - as a motoring aside, I’m also now shocked at the lack of speed bumps, and a new found use for all the gears, having spent years shuffling along in the first 3 ratios and kidding myself that I was ‘driving’!

Grand Master
    Has any reliable data being published that shows how much of the air pollution in London can be directly attributed to the pre 2006 vehicles?

I don`t live in London, I rarely visit, but my gut feeling is that the majority of cars on the road will be post 2006 vehicles. That's usually the case in most areas. On that basis I can`t see how discouraging the pre-2006 vehicles will have much impact; indeed, most of the pre 2006 vehicles would already have to meet a the fairly stringent emission regs that were in place at the time, there are very few really old cars churning out black smoke like they did in the old days!

Maybe I`m just a cynic, but this scheme smacks of gesture politics to me. Owners of older cars who might make the odd journey or two in London will now be unfairly penalised when they don`t actually contribute significantly to the problem. It'll make all the tree-hugging sandal-wearing bean-eaters happy.....perhaps that's more important?

Is it me being cynical again, or are all Lord Mayors of London slimy towrags who I have difficulty believing?

The brutal truth is staring us all in the face, there are simply too many vehicles on our roads. Anyone have any viable solutions?

Paul

Edit: Just checked and my 1970 MGB is exempt from all these charges!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 31st October 2017 at 19:30.