closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Here's one I prepared earlier (Vintage Omega content)

Grand Master

Here's one I prepared earlier (Vintage Omega content)

Here's the final touches being put to a watch I`ve owned for around 15 years and hardly worn, a 1950 Omega Seamaster. Almost sold it a couple of times but decided to give it the full treatment and get it properly sorted. The case work and dial refinish had been done prior to me buying it, not the best dial refinish I`ve seen but still in good condition and not bad enough to justify having it done again. A refinished dial will always be just that, the Omega Forum Originality Snobs will always turn their noses up at watches like this but that bothers me very little.....good luck to them.

After a straightforward stripdown of the movement, correct a couple of problems, fit a new mainspring, the watch was running well. Wear to the centre wheel pivots is present and that makes fitting the hands a bit tricky to avoid hitting each other and the applied batons, but the watch is older than me so I`ll cut it some slack.

Final job to be done..........something's obviously not right!

The original stem had been cut and carved in the past, definitely better off replaced and I have a couple in my parts stash. Needless to say it's a bit long! First it needs a rough measurement to work out how much to remove.....measure twice and cut once is the best approach.

I clamp the stem in a wooden movement holder, mark with a marker pen then use the edge of a diamond file to cut most of the excess length away.

After trying the stem and measuring again, it gets closer

Close....but no cigar! Out with the feeler gauge to check how much needs removing, we're now talking about approx 10thou" (0.25mm)

I carefully trim the stem to fit using a flat diamond file plate, 15 strokes takes around 0.1mm off. I cut it them try it a couple of times till I`m happy. Ideally, there should JUST be a tiny gap between the crown and the case to prevent rubbing when the crown's being used, the smaller tha gap the better because the crown should fit as snugly as possible.

That'll do for me.....and I`m a fussy bugger

So, how long did this take from start to finish?........approx. 30 minutes. How much should a repairer charge for this work?.........how about 30 minutes at YOUR hourly rate, does that sound about right Doesn`t worry me if it takes 15 minutes or two hours, it takes however long it takes to get it right.

Here's the end result, the watch is running likek a good 'un, water resistant to 30M, keeping time to within a couple of seconds/day, and it's just been out for it's first curry after refurbishment!

All ways an interesting read, thanks for spending the time to educate.

Journeyman
    Enjoyed that. Thanks

Craftsman
    I love posts such as this - very informative, and the pictures help bring it to life!

Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Very nice. I am rather envious as I also have a 1950 Seamaster, a 2577 351 movement model, but do fancy a calendar model like that. One thing I discovered recently is that the original gasket material used in these, placed in that groove round the back of the case was a ring of lead, probably neither all that great at sealing and certainly not that healthy to handle.

Craftsman
    Love the lugs on that!

Master
    Brilliant read, thanks for sharing.

I had a similar one from 1958, and like the bloody idiot that I am, went and sold it.

IMG_0540-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

''Tis a thing of beauty that Paul, nice work and nice post.

I can't believe that only took you 30 minutes!

These classic 1950's watches just look and feel right on the wrist, especially when the lugs are slightly beefy like this one.

Journeyman
    Great post - thank You. Always wanted one of those Calendar versions - very smart looking watches.
    A bit OT: In almost all of the written sources around Omega the Seamaster line starts around 1948. I have hardly seen any Seamaster older than 1950.
    Will it be right to assume they were made in few numbers in those earlier years?
    regards
    Terje

Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    Love the lugs on that!
    Totally agree about the lugs. I must get one of these one day, great work.

Journeyman
    Very jealous lovely piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Very interesting and a stunning watch Paul.
    Thanks.