closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Data only SIM for a Car

Craftsman

Data only SIM for a Car

Yesterday I picked up my new car, a Skoda Kodiak. In the sales blurb it talks about having lots of internet connectivity and useful stuff, but now that I've got the car it's apparent that I need to buy a SIM card for any of this stuff to work. I only really want live traffic updates and the occasional sat nav map update so I don't think I'll use much data at all. When I look at what data only SIMs are available they all seem to require a monthly payment. Has anyone here found a decent deal on S
    IMs that can last more than a month between payments? I suspect there's not a lot of Skoda owners on here but it's the same setup for VW and Audi, so I'm hoping somebody has found a sensible solution.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I got a 12gb 12 month one from Amazon. Cost about £35 and provides plenty of data for Google maps etc - in an Audi.

Master
    Not what you actually asked but the best deal I could find for my Audi in the same situation was a £7.50 a month 1Gb data deal with Giff Gaff.You can also use it as an in car wifi for your phone or iPad which was helpful for me.
    Last edited by SeePee; 22nd October 2017 at 18:51.

I use these for data. £30 for 12GB for 1 year

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mobile-Pay-...dp/B01CMD4VKC/

Amazon are knocking out a sim that comes with 1gb data for £2.25 atm.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Should have bought a Toyota :). My Auris is fully connected. No idea how but reading this thread there must be a sim somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Should have bought a Toyota :). My Auris is fully connected. No idea how but reading this thread there must be a sim somewhere.
    They replace it at service.

Craftsman
    Thanks all - I've ordered the 12GB SIM from Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Too late for OP but I bought 12 GB/12 month SIM card from eBay for about £23/£24. Three mobile network. You need to make sure it isn't the type that works only in a phone (apparently there are some like that). If it supports tablets and tethering, it will work in the car. Mine came with minutes and texts too but I only use it in the car so require data only. It enables my car's built-in wifi hub to provide internet access to all personal devices used in the car when we're out and about both in the UK and Europe so great value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Thanks all - I've ordered the 12GB SIM from Amazon

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Maybe you know already, but I wanted to mention a lot of these sims need to be setup/activated on a phone, which they sometimes do not list on the minimal packaging . If you put the Sim in the car, and it doesn’t work, you’ll know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can say with confidence a bog standard SIM from Three should work. I put £20 of credit on one and activated it via the Three web site. Then plugged it into the Audi.
    If you only want live traffic and only make the odd phone call then it'll last for ages. My own costs are working out at 50p a month. The car does about 1000 miles a month. Use of Google maps will push the cost up a lot as will use of any "connect" services like news, weather etc. similarly making the car a hotspot will be more costly.

I set up a hotspot on my phone and as it’s only traffic updates usually, I only use a little of my data allowance

Master
    I am on my second 12 GB/12 month SIM from 3 after the data and time both ran out in the first SIM at around the same time in July. In both cases the SIM just had to be plugged into the car's SIM card slot. Never needed to insert in a phone to activate and I was able to use data through it straightaway in the car. The only reason I had to phone 3 later was to register the SIM to my online account on their website to be able to monitor usage periodically. Normally they send you a code via text but I wasn't able to receive texts in the car as it is just a wifi hub so had to phone them to register. I could have inserted the SIM in my phone temporarily to receive texts but I didn't fancy detaching the nano sim out of the "3 in one" sized sim and then using an adapter to fit it back in the car. If you don't need to register, you will never need to put a 3 data sim in a phone or contact 3.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I am on my second 12 GB/12 month SIM from 3 after the data and time both ran out in the first SIM at around the same time in July. In both cases the SIM just had to be plugged into the car's SIM card slot. Never needed to insert in a phone to activate and I was able to use data through it straightaway in the car. The only reason I had to phone 3 later was to register the SIM to my online account on their website to be able to monitor usage periodically. Normally they send you a code via text but I wasn't able to receive texts in the car as it is just a wifi hub so had to phone them to register. I could have inserted the SIM in my phone temporarily to receive texts but I didn't fancy detaching the nano sim out of the "3 in one" sized sim and then using an adapter to fit it back in the car. If you don't need to register, you will never need to put a 3 data sim in a phone or contact 3.
    It's a pity they can't just be topped up (possibly they can but more expensive than replacing).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It's a pity they can't just be topped up (possibly they can but more expensive than replacing).
    Correct. They can be topped up like any other PAYG SIM but you won't get that amount of data valid for such a long period of time at a price like this. So you're better off replacing the SIM.

If you have kids be careful they can go though data pretty fast. I had a BT sim £5 a month for 1gb and they killed that in a one hour trip, I now pay £15 per month for 20gb