closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Land Rover Discovery Sport drivers?

Any Land Rover Discovery Sport drivers?

Hi all

I was considering buying a Mitsubishi outlander PHEV but have decided against it as I normally keep my vehicles for a few years and am concerned that by the time I come to sell the technology will have advanced so far by then that they will only be seen as a novelty and resale value will be very low.

I have therefore started looking at what else is out there in the SUV field and have looked at the likes of the Kia Sorrento, Skoda Koriaq and the Land Rover discovery sport.

Do any of you have experience of the Discovery Sport? Would be interested in your view on whether it would be worth trying to stretch to the new two litre engine models.

Many thanks!

Are you looking at 5 or 7 seats?
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 22nd October 2017 at 16:55.

Probably only need the 5, but I think that having the flexibility of 7 would be useful.

One for sale in the FS thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobbyy View Post
    Probably only need the 5, but I think that having the flexibility of 7 would be useful.
    The seat configuration in the Kia is far better than the Sport with more room and easier to get in and out of.
    In fact imo the Kia is better in so many ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    One for sale in the FS thread?
    That's a RRS.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobbyy View Post
    Do any of you have experience of the Discovery Sport? Would be interested in your view on whether it would be worth trying to stretch to the new two litre engine models.
    I didn't know there were new engines out, but having had a look - which one do you mean?

We have the 2.0l 180hp diesel auto and it's fine, a bit gruff from cold, but plenty of poke and quiet down the motorway.

Ian

Master
    I test drove a 2.2 litre diesel Disco Sport when I (unsuccessfully) tried downsizing 2.5 years ago. Later I've had both the 2.2 and the newer 2.0 Ingenium engine models as courtesy cars on a few occasions. Driving them for longer than the half an hour test drive just endorsed my decision against buying one. I found the engine rough and sounding like a bag of spanners, especially when idling. Just like the Evoque really. Ride was uncomfortable. Interior cheap and plasticy. The only saving grace was that I was amazed at the amount of 2nd and 3rd row space LR managed to create in the 7 seat version inside, what can only be classified as a small SUV. You may be able to do a lot better than a Disco Sport at that price point.

PS: Going with Mitsubishi *should* get you better reliability and *will* get you better customer service. The latter is very easy because customer service is pretty much non-existent at most LR dealerships.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had one for the day while my Discovery 4 was serviced. It drove quite OK but the interior looks and feels cheap. Those rear seats were only any good for small kids..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I had one for the day while my Discovery 4 was serviced. It drove quite OK but the interior looks and feels cheap. Those rear seats were only any good for small kids..
    I had them a couple of time wile my RR was in for servicing/repairs. I'd agree with your comments, it feels like every other 2-litre diesel SUV I have driven - competent but dull. Compared to my wife's XC60 it had slightly better handling and ride but the seats and interior were not as nice. One thing to consider is JLR dealers, in my experience they are absolutely the worst I have ever experienced. Personally, I'd go for the Skoda Kodiaq...

wife has had one since new - February 2015 so one of the first delivered ..... she was very impatient (the boys having grown up and now at Uni meant her 10 year old XC90 was too big and she wanted something shiny and new), so wouldn't wait for the newer engine. I knew that would be a mistake as the 2.2 is a little agricultural at times, but once warmed up it is OK. Have had the newer engine on loan cars when its been in for service and the last one in particular seemed a big improvement not only in refinement but smooth pick up.

She has an HSE in black with light leather interior and few extras..... she has the panoramic roof which combined with the light leather makes for a very airy cabin and that really eases long journeys. The second row of seats are a pleasant place to be and I think as much legroom as the FFRR. We have never even had the third row of seats up as don't have the need - suspect for some with small kids that this will be a very useful feature not available on many cars in this segment.

She absolutely loves it and therefore will be paying off the balloon finance in February 2018 and keeping it....that is a risk given JLR reputation, but she has never had anything go wrong on hers save a gas strut on the tailgate which was fixed under warranty.

I don't understand people's complains about JLR dealers - ours (Williams Manchester) a delight.

Its probably held its value quite well against competitors. It was £40,500 OTR and they offered me £27k on a recent part ex enquiry. Private sale would no doubt yield a little more.

Other experiences/pluses:-
    heated front screen and heated steering wheel a boon in the winter
    have done some light off roading in the Lake District and it took it in its stride
    find it much better looking that X3/Q3 etc
    seats comfortable on long journeys
    22,000 miles done and little tyre wear

Negatives:-
    fuel consumption is OK....but to be fair it is used for a lot of short journeys. On the longer runs we do to the Lakes, London and Bristol it is pretty good
    washer fluid bottle seems to empty quickly
    Tech seems pretty good but odd time Bluetooth loses connection and the auto stop/start decided to forget to stop

Looking at what has now come out on the market I think the only competitor she would look at is the new XC60.