closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with mobile reception in the house - any ideas?

Problems with mobile reception in the house - any ideas?

Recently I altered the settings on my mobile from 4g to 3g as someone suggested that this might make the signal more reliable when out and about, reducing the number of call drop outs that were driving me mad.

This certainly helped and I experience few drop outs now, other than in the house. I find that I have to stand in certain spots to get a signal and moving just slightly can cause a drop out.

Looking at the coverage guide on the O2 website I see that it states good indoor and outdoor coverage at 2G. It doesnt mention 3 of 4G. I cant set my phone to 2G only a combination of 2G & 3G which I guess wont help as it will keep dropping out to search for the better signal. I can however set it just for 3G which I have done.

I wondered about some kind of signal booster but cant find much on the net.

Any ideas or advice?
    Last edited by Velorum; 22nd October 2017 at 13:43.

I think 02 have been buggering about with their network. In our village coverage has deteriorated dramatically in the past few months - lots of unhappy residents.

O2 says there is no problem...
    So clever my foot fell off.

I can't use my O2 phone at home...in London!!

I don't know which phone you have but if you have home broadband/wifi you could try WiFi calling. Its supposed to switch automatically to wifi if the 4G signal is poor. Works OK on EE, not perfect though.

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

Thanks, O2 doesnt support wifi calls for my phone.

Probably not much help if you're on O2 (unless you'd switch networks) but Vodafone sell a Sure Signal box which does what you want - https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/acce...s/sure-signal/

You might also check whether your handset supports Wifi Calling (which basically routes your calls over wifi when the mobile signal is too low). My Samsung Galaxy S8+ certainly can do this.

I dong think that my Galaxy 4 does

I often use whatsapp calling as that's over wifi. But both parties need to be on whatsapp I would think.

Another google search has mentioned signal boosters and suggested removing the phone from any protective case that it might be in.

Im rather sceptical on the case thing but it doesnt cost anything so I'll give it a go. Mines usually in a thick rubber case to prevent damage if I drop it.

Signal boosters work, but I think O2 only sell them to business customers.

Master
    I'm too having issues with O2, tried wifi calling on the iPhone but used so much battery I switched it off

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Signal boosters work, but I think O2 only sell them to business customers.
    I presume thats to avoid drawing attention to poor coverage.

This is ridiculous. I have to take a call later on and I'm going to have to sit in my car on the road outside so that the signal doesnt keep dropping out!

Master
    Vodafone sure signal does exactly what you need. If you’re not tied into o2 it might be worth checking out and maybe switching networks.

YoU can download the o2 Tugo app - that allows you to make and receive calls over wifi , however this will go out of action on the 30th of November when the wifi calling features comes live on the o2 app.

Master
    It makes me laugh, they keep upgrading handsets to do everything but make the tea but they haven't actually sorted out the fundamental infrastructure that provides the signal. I use my phone very little but even then there seems to be a large number of times where signal is poor. This is a couple of miles from the m4. I can't see how people can dump a landline, the alternative just isn't reliable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Yes, I've tried one. They work, but are in a legal grey area in the UK, so I removed mine. I may still have it somewhere if you wanted to try it. It only repeats 2G.

You say your phone doesn't allow you to switch to 'just' GSM/2G. If you have an android phone try entering this at the dialling screen. *#*#4636#*#* on some versions of Android this takes you to a hidden menu which (amongst other things) allows you to be more granular with your network selection.

Also, the Vodafone Suresignal is branding for a device called a "femtocell". You could try to find a femtocell compatible with O2 (not tried that, but worth a look).

As above - signal boosters using a Yagi receiver do work, but are a bit of a grey area (but wouldn't put me off, TBH)

What about using Whatsapp for calls to your friends at least? That should work no matter what your network?

Al

Master
    O2 does wifi calling on iPhones now,set up mine last week its amazing,TuGo being switched off soon.

I have a work iPhone 6 on o2 and live in a village with pretty much no mobile reception. If I recall you need a 6s or newer to use WiFi calling.

I use an o2 Boost Box which works really well. I’m sure if you kick up enough of a fuss they’ll give/sell you one.

Is this what was referred to previously as the aid only available to business?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app

Is this what was referred to previously as the aid only available to business?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alcatel-Lu...kAAOSwTQtZ7NWK

You could just buy one off eBay, of course, if O2 won't give you one.

These and Vodafone Suresignals are all just femtocells of various branding. They connect to the mobile provider over your Internet connection and broadcast a local 3G signal that allows only registered devices to use.

Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    Yes, I've tried one. They work, but are in a legal grey area in the UK, so I removed mine. I may still have it somewhere if you wanted to try it. It only repeats 2G.

You say your phone doesn't allow you to switch to 'just' GSM/2G. If you have an android phone try entering this at the dialling screen. *#*#4636#*#* on some versions of Android this takes you to a hidden menu which (amongst other things) allows you to be more granular with your network selection.

Also, the Vodafone Suresignal is branding for a device called a "femtocell". You could try to find a femtocell compatible with O2 (not tried that, but worth a look).
    Thanks.

Tried that, cant switch to 2G only.

What are the legal issues with the unit you have, if you can find it then I am happy to buy it from you but I dont want to be arrested!

Thanks.

Tried that, cant switch to 2G only.

What are the legal issues with the unit you have, if you can find it then I am happy to buy it from you but I dont want to be arrested!
    I don't think you would get arrested. Worst case is to be told to take it down, arrest would likely only follow if you ignored it.

Basically, the legal issue (as I understand it) is around the bands that 2G/3G/4G use - you need to buy a license to broadcast on those bands. Vodafone/o2/ee all have these licenses, you and I don't. These devices exploit a "loophole" that you can broadcast anything you want in your property. The issue is ensuring that you are ONLY broadcasting in your property.

If I can find it, you can have it for a small donation to the fundraiser. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    I don't think you would get arrested. Worst case is to be told to take it down, arrest would likely only follow if you ignored it.

Basically, the legal issue (as I understand it) is around the bands that 2G/3G/4G use - you need to buy a license to broadcast on those bands. Vodafone/o2/ee all have these licenses, you and I don't. These devices exploit a "loophole" that you can broadcast anything you want in your property. The issue is ensuring that you are ONLY broadcasting in your property.

If I can find it, you can have it for a small donation to the fundraiser. I'll have a look tomorrow.
    Thanks!

This seems like the best way to go to me.

If you cant find it looks as though there are loads on eBay. No idea as to the quality though.

Master
    I have one of those O2 boost boxes going spare. It was provided by my previous employer and it worked well. I've since switched jobs and now use Vodafone (with their booster).

I'd be happy to send it to you, but I'm not sure you can get it configured (add your IMEI/phone number to it) without a business account. If anyone knows that this is possible, I'll be happy to send the box to the OP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I have one of those O2 boost boxes going spare. It was provided by my previous employer and it worked well. I've since switched jobs and now use Vodafone (with their booster).

I'd be happy to send it to you, but I'm not sure you can get it configured (add your IMEI/phone number to it) without a business account. If anyone knows that this is possible, I'll be happy to send the box to the OP.
    No experience with O2, but with vodafone you just call them to register a second hand suresignal.

We have zero mobile signal in our village too but we do have fibre optic broadband. My wife and I both use Three network on iPhone 6 and their wifi calling works really well. Used to have a work phone on Vodafone and they supplied me with a Sure Signal. That worked most of the time but had a tendency to lose the phone mid call so I often dropped off conference calls and had to dial back in again.

Sure-signal is the answer but it needs a 1mb internet connection to work. If you internet drops then so does the mobile phone signal.

Its pretty good and works well in darkest Wiltshire.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Sure-signal is the answer but it needs a 1mb internet connection to work. If you internet drops then so does the mobile phone signal.

Its pretty good and works well in darkest Wiltshire.

But not with O2...

Craftsman
    I had the same problem at home with 3. I called them to complain and said their service wasn’t fit for purpose if I couldn’t use my mobile from my home office, they promptly sent me a signal booster to attach to my Wi-fi free of charge. There was no mention of any such product on their website, so it may be worth complaining to 02 to see what they come up with?

Complain to O2 and see what they say. Not all networks are created equal. Lower band widths go further but are poorer at penetrating buildings. https://www.4g.co.uk/4g-frequencies-uk-need-know/
    Add this to where your nearest site is too and that effects coverage, EE are the best for network as they have a high and low frequency.

Tell O2 your friend get good reception in your house and you will switch if the don’t do something.

I have found most of the bits for the signal booster, but can't yet find the AC adapter. I have a few more places to look today, and will get back to you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Vodafone sure signal does exactly what you need. If you’re not tied into o2 it might be worth checking out and maybe switching networks.
    Got one of those and it does work, but the range doesn't seem very good on mine.

Those "full mobile signal" boxes look very interesting but how do you register them onto your chosen network, has anyone used one?

I've been through the hassle of complaining to Vodafone, being sent a suresignal and setting it up. I struggled with the old android phone on it to be honest, but the new iPhone is much more consistent with it. It does occasionally drop mid call but as long as you are with 10 to 15 paces of it, it works very well with a full or nearly full signal. The level drops off very quickly with distance though, very quickly indeed.

From what I understand you are establishing your own microcell, or femtocell as referred to above. It's quite clever on the network operators part. It uses your power and (partly) your internet backhaul to their network.

You have to register the postcode of the box on their website, so (amongst other things no doubt) if it is used for an emergency call the emergency services automatically get the postcode of where the call is originating from.

Presumably if you buy a third-party box it will need to be registered onto your chosen network?

You can get 4G at the top of Pyrenean mountains but not in parts of UK towns .

Master
    Just a few words on this topic.

The generic mobile signal boosters that you can buy from china, including at least one seller I know of that pretends to be in the UK but isn't, are ALL illegal. We're talking big fines and prison sentence. There are a few 'boosters' that are condoned by the UK operators but these are few-and-far between and generally not very good. However the rules are changing. Up to now generic boosters have been very much a no-no but Ofcom have just just announced some new standards for boosters that ARE legal for the UK. These new rules come out early next year but I don't know how long it'll be before 'legal' products come onto the market. Even then it'll be a nightmare for the potential buyer trying to verify if the booster they see online does or does not comply to the new rules. I kinda hoped that Ofcom would bring out some official stamp or certification so that buyers could check if the booster they're looking at is or is not legal but I'm not sure this'll happen.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultatio...aign=repeaters

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Just a few words on this topic.

The generic mobile signal boosters that you can buy from china, including at least one seller I know of that pretends to be in the UK but isn't, are ALL illegal. We're talking big fines and prison sentence. There are a few 'boosters' that are condoned by the UK operators but these are few-and-far between and generally not very good. However the rules are changing. Up to now generic boosters have been very much a no-no but Ofcom have just just announced some new standards for boosters that ARE legal for the UK. These new rules come out early next year but I don't know how long it'll be before 'legal' products come onto the market. Even then it'll be a nightmare for the potential buyer trying to verify if the booster they see online does or does not comply to the new rules. I kinda hoped that Ofcom would bring out some official stamp or certification so that buyers could check if the booster they're looking at is or is not legal but I'm not sure this'll happen.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultatio...aign=repeaters
    Interesting, thanks for the info

I had the same issue with O2 up in North Norfolk - we’ll, Tesco mobile but same network. Switched to ee on the advice of neighbours (and sons mobile obsessed school friends!) and works a treat - even though the coverage maps show no difference at my home address. Might be your only solution to swap networks. Before you do ask a friend round with a phone on an alternate network and see how you get on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I have the house to myself this week I have been making some calls from the lounge and have noticed the following issue.

Initially reception is good, very clear, but after about 15 minutes the quality deteriorates quickly. The signal doesnt drop out straight away, the other callers voice becomes more distant and 'fuzzy' eventually leading to the signal failing.

Any ideas what this is? I have it set on 2G/3G - is it flipping between the two, looking for the best signal?

There are a few reasons, if a cell becomes congested it can try and move you to another or if you move and if it thinks the other cell can give a better signal it can try to move you. If the signals to both are a little weak it’s a constant battle. Also if one starts the hand off and then the other signal drops you can end up dropped.

Some reading if you want https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobi...itching_Office

I am seriously considering buying a Nokia 3310 with an EE sim just for calls in the house.

Master
    I am seriously considering buying a Nokia 3310 with an EE sim just for calls in the house.
    If you're edging toward using a separate mobile phone just for calls in the house then why not get a DECT phone for in house calls?

If you're edging toward using a separate mobile phone just for calls in the house then why not get a DECT phone for in house calls?
    Already got one - I am not able to access it most evenings between 6.30 and 9pm.

Master
    Already got one - I am not able to access it most evenings between 6.30 and 9pm.
    arr.. so this is to be a private phone just so you can do outgoing calls in the evening (I say outgoing because, presumably, anyone calling you won'y know whether to call your normal mobile or you special private mobile). Okay, I see where you're going with this. ;-)

arr.. so this is to be a private phone just so you can do outgoing calls in the evening (I say outgoing because, presumably, anyone calling you won'y know whether to call your normal mobile or you special private mobile). Okay, I see where you're going with this. ;-)
    Ha ha!

Incoming as well.

The landline is in use by others most evenings, but thats a whole other story.

Master
    Ha ha!

Incoming as well.

The landline is in use by others most evenings, but thats a whole other story.
    I must be such a sad git 'cause I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I made a phone call in the evening from home. In fact I seem to make only one call a week from home and that's to call 'mother' to see what she's up to and I try to keep that call as short as possible since the weeks news usually consists of went to wetherspoons for breakfast on sunday, then to morrisons for weekly shop, and the rest of the call seems to be tales of who's died, who's been diagnosed with some terminal disease, and other tales of doom and gloom :-(

Years ago I had a flat in an old Victorian house and every evening I'd swap my SIM into a Nokia 2110.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.