closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Tax Question - Now Sorted

Car Tax Question - Now Sorted

I no longer own a car so hopefully someone can clarify this for me. An elderly relative recently bought a used car from a franchised dealer. When he paid for the car they added the cost of a years road tax and arranged it for him online. I've just checked the DVLA site and the car is showing as taxed but the expiry date is almost a month earlier than the date he took ownership, so I'm assuming it must have expired while on their forecourt.
    Is this correct and if not can it be easily rectified?
    Last edited by bonzo697; 22nd October 2017 at 12:01.

Journeyman
    If they taxed it on say, the 23rd of a month as it was being collected the next day for example i think they would have used a full month for that if you know what i mean - so it has 11 months plus the remainder of the month it was taxed in....

You can only tax whole months.

If he took ownership at the end of the month this could be correct - eg if he took ownership today, expiry would be 30/09/2018.

^ Thanks. The last time I owned a car it still had a disc so that must have applied then too.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 22nd October 2017 at 11:54.

Not sure what you mean - you can tax it from whenever you want, but will start at beginning of that month.

If just sat on forecourt doesn't need to be taxed.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    ^ So it doesn't get taxed from the date of ownership change and my relative has paid tax for the time it was on their forecourt?
    That's correct - blame HMRC not the dealer, though.

In order to get full months - you have to take the car (and tax it) 1st of the month.

Thanks for the replies this is clear now. I just wanted to ensure the dealer wasn't ripping him off, rather than the DVLA.