closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hindu wedding in Penang,,,,,,info needed

Hindu wedding in Penang,,,,,,info needed

Bit of an oddball one here, the girlfriend and I have been to Penang a few times and will be returning again in January.
    I have a crazy idea of getting married in a Hindu ceremony or ritual, but I want it to be a surprise.
    Reading online it appears to be undoable because of time constraints, not being in the country long enough beforehand, prior planning required by both of us and several other hurdles.
    Because of these constraints we couldn't be married legally so a non legal ceremony would be ideal, as we are looking to get married at a later date.
    It's something we have discussed previously and both love the idea, I have even got two witnesses to agree to turn up at our hotel as a surprise.
    So what I am looking for is some info and advice regarding this, anybody else done the same?
    I know there are some Singaporeans on this forum, different country I know but close by.
    Have spent ages online and just can't get anywhere with this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Bit of an oddball one here, the girlfriend and I have been to Penang a few times and will be returning again in January.
    I have a crazy idea of getting married in a Hindu ceremony or ritual, but I want it to be a surprise.
    Reading online it appears to be undoable because of time constraints, not being in the country long enough beforehand, prior planning required by both of us and several other hurdles.
    Because of these constraints we couldn't be married legally so a non legal ceremony would be ideal, as we are looking to get married at a later date.
    It's something we have discussed previously and both love the idea, I have even got two witnesses to agree to turn up at our hotel as a surprise.
    So what I am looking for is some info and advice regarding this, anybody else done the same?
    I know there are some Singaporeans on this forum, different country I know but close by.
    Have spent ages online and just can't get anywhere with this.
    I suppose the first question that springs to mind.........are you both Hindu?

Malaysia is predominantly muslim, although there also other religions represented, mainly buddhism. Hinduism is a minority religion in that country. Why is it you particularly want a hindu blessing ceremony? Do you just want something 'exotic' and memorable?
    Last edited by seikopath; 22nd October 2017 at 11:45.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Malaysia is predominantly muslim, although there also other religions represented, mainly buddhism. Hinduism is a minority religion in that country. Why is it you particularly want a hindu blessing ceremony? Do you just want something 'exotic' and memorable?
    We are not of any religious persuasion. Penang is a place we both love, but yea I reckon you probably got it right.
    I've done the big church wedding before, second time round for me, first for her, it's not something I wish to revisit.

Master
    I've been to more Hindu weddings than I care to recall now - my advice would be to book a registry office.

Honestly, unless you're a follower of that religion then I cant see the appeal, they are sooooo long and (sorry) boring. We had another one last weekend and even the bride and grooms immediate family drifted off for a chat in the middle of it.

Luckily because my wife isn't really a follower of any religion we avoided all that. Her parents tried to push it, but we decided on having a religion free wedding (I was brought up Christian, she was brought up Hindu, neither of us have shown much of an interest in either).

I recall the first full Indian ceremony I went to with her as a couple. There was a sheet on each chair with an order of service and it took the better part of three hours to get through it. Then Mrs Kojak flipped it over and there was just as much again!!! I appreciate some people want that full religious ceremony but I would definitely be looking for an out.

Red face

Your other half isn't of any faith and you wanted to 'surprise' her with a HINDU wedding ceremony?! You (romantic) numpty!! :)

No offence...

We are not of any religious persuasion. Penang is a place we both love, but yea I reckon you probably got it right.
    I've done the big church wedding before, second time round for me, first for her, it's not something I wish to revisit.

Don't think the geezer wants the full wedding, just a blessing ceremony of some kind.
    Don't think that's going to be easy to organise remotely though.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Is it not taking the p1ss and insulting all the people who are genuinely devout for you to have a perceived exotic pantomime. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Is it not taking the p1ss and insulting all the people who are genuinely devout for you to have a perceived exotic pantomime. You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking such a thing.
    Well I can see your point, but it is a bit strong view. Do you view all weddings as a pantomime ?? as not that many people are devout to the faith they marry in.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Your other half isn't of any faith and you wanted to 'surprise' her with a HINDU wedding ceremony?! You (romantic) numpty!! :)

No offence...
    Its something we have discussed on numerous occasions, we both like the culture. We believe a wedding is what you make of it, just not keen on a christian ceremony.
    My daughter had a festival style wedding last year conducted by her best friend, a first for me and it was actually really nice, not my cup of tea mind. also a register office wedding for the official bit.