closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega 285 Resurrected

Omega 285 Resurrected

I recently took a bit of a chance on eBay and purchased what looked to be an old Omega:

It arrived a few days later and proved to be a 285 calibre from the early 1960's. Taking Polywatch to the crystal cleaned it up so that it looked a lot better than when it arrived:

However there were a few deep scratches, the crown was looking a bit tired, and although the watch kept decent enough time it was clearly in need of a service. Picking up a NOS crown from an eBay seller I had used before I contacted Brendan (webwatchmaker) here at TZ-UK.

Brendan had serviced my wife's Rolex and had done a marvelous job, so I dispatched the 285 to him together with the new crown and asked him to service it, replace the crystal and also have a look at the lugs, as I thought one looked as though it might do with the lug hole filling and re-drilling. Despite having a couple of marks I didn't want the dial re-finished as I think the patina adds character.

A couple of weeks later I had a call from Brendan who was now looking at my watch. He assured me that the lug was fine but that as well as a service the movement needed a new escape wheel as the pivot was bent on mine. He also decided to fit a shallower crystal than the one that was currently fitted as it was non-original and too deep.

A week later Brendan emailed me to say that the watch was ready and would be shipped back. Picking it up from my office this week I unwrapped the watch and was amazed at the transformation from a somewhat sad looking specimen into a wonderful example that should last for another 50 years at least.

I had a chance earlier today to take some photos, and I am sure you will agree that Brendan has done a superb job.

Whilst the 285 was with Brendan I picked up a nice example of a Omega 269, so now have both a center second and a sub-second from within a year or two of each other. It has a non-original crown, so as soon as I get a replacement it will be wending its way for the same spa treatment.

Here are a couple of photos of the pair together:

I love those. Brendan has done an exemplary job as usual

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Omega 285 Resurrected

Is it gold/plated/filled? I have the same watch from my father, but in Stainless.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Is it gold/plated/filled? I have the same watch from my father, but in Stainless.
    Plated only I am afraid.

Would love to see a photo of your father's watch, as the stainless models seem less common.

Mine looks like an amalgamation of your two

Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    Mine looks like an amalgamation of your two

Wow - that is lovely! Love the black dial.

I see it also has luminous hour markers and hands, which neither of mine do.

Do you happen to know what year and calibre?

It's a cal 266 and serial dates it to around 1954.

It was a present to my grandfather from his brother and passed down to me after he passed away.

It's a cal 266 and serial dates it to around 1954.

It was a present to my grandfather from his brother and passed down to me after he passed away.

1954.....and yet also superbly contemporary.

Many thanks for posting the photo.

You're more than welcome. Brendan worked his special magic on this one too

The dial was redone. It's well done but I wish I had taken the time to find another one (the old was shot with 12 years in a tropical climate, 7 of which under a South East Asia monsoon...)

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Lovely outcome, watch and service for less than the service for a modern watch, I suppose.

Master
    A superb restoration and service from Brendan and a very handsome watch. Nice find!

Grand Master
    I`ve been knee-deep in old Omegas for the past couple of months!

Prior to giving up taking in work the last few jobs I did were vintage Omegas, tghen I`ve been working through a few of my own project watches and stuff from my collection that's needed a bit of TLC.

Currently putting the finishing touches to one of mine, a 1950 gold topped Seamaster Calendar (steel case, gold bezel and gold capped lugs). Pictures will follow soon, this is a watch I`ve owned for years but never had time to get it totally sorted.

The rose gold 1947 bumper automatic I featured recently is looking like a definite keeper, it's too nice to sell!

Occasionally I venture on to the Omega forums but I never bother to get involved, I just wouldn`t fit in. Too many pseudo-experts who actually know f-all for my liking, and too much elitism. As someone who's been known to polish the odd case or two (properly!) I`d be treated like a pariah, they seem to like bragging about their unpolished vintage watches despite the fact they're scruffy tat......I know I wouldn`t last long there because I don`t conform to that view. I ended up on there today whilst trying to research a 1950s case reference and the amount of crap/factoids being quoted was pathetic. That's the problem with internet, everyone repeats what they've read whether it's right or wrong.

I was trying to find the correct caseback finish for my watch and I gave up in the end; when all else fails I trust my own judgement.

Paul

Just had my 9ct 1960 285 sorted by Paul on here..

Lovely watches and so elegant..

Love that. It's really classy

Grand Master
    Love that. It's really classy

It is, it's a lovely watch. The dial had been refinished to a good standard when it came to me, I sorted out the movement and gave the case a light refinish to get it looking sharp. This is the sort of watch I like, but far too many people are obsessed with originality thesedays and they'd rather see something scratched and scruffy that's never been touched. It's gone silly, I love a nice original watch as much as anyone provided it's in tip-top condition, and sadly very few of them are.

Restoration and refinishing are almost dirty words on the Omega forums, they're absolutely anal about these things.......and that's why I steer well clear!

The caseback of my own 2676 1950 Seamaster is now in the cleaning bath....any hairline scratches/faults that remain are staying there! I would've preferred putting a circular grained finish on the back but I can`t find any evidence that it was originally done that way so it's been polished instead, which is a whole lot harder. I`d hoped to have it on my wrist tonight but that won`t happen, I never rush the casing up of a watch so it'll wait till tomorrow. Also need to pressure test the case sans movement first.

Time for an hour with the kindle and a whisky, I`ve done far too much refinishing work recently and reminded myself how I don`t enjoy it .....but I love to see the end results!

Enjoy your vintage watches guys, even if they have been polished and the dials are refinished............never mind what the Omega Forum bozos think

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 21st October 2017 at 23:14.

The dial on mine isn't original. I'm sure most people have guessed that but, in my eyes it's been done to a great standard and is in keeping with the watch.
    When I showed it my Nan she got all teared up as it reminded her of her time with my grandad when they were younger. That's as much proof that I need that I did the right thing.

The dial on mine isn't original. I'm sure most people have guessed that but, in my eyes it's been done to a great standard and is in keeping with the watch.
    When I showed it my Nan she got all teared up as it reminded her of her time with my grandad when they were younger. That's as much proof that I need that I did the right thing.

I hadn't guessed, but then I don't think it necessarily matters - far better to have a watch that you wear and get enjoyment from than one that sits in a drawer unused.

The fact that your nan loves it makes it all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The caseback of my own 2676 1950 Seamaster is now in the cleaning bath....any hairline scratches/faults that remain are staying there! I would've preferred putting a circular grained finish on the back but I can`t find any evidence that it was originally done that way so it's been polished instead, which is a whole lot harder. I`d hoped to have it on my wrist tonight but that won`t happen, I never rush the casing up of a watch so it'll wait till tomorrow. Also need to pressure test the case sans movement first.
    Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Master
    beautiful watches op ,inspired me to take a[poor] photo of mine with dust on the crystal.its a 9ct gold version with the 601 movement.i puchased it from a jeweller friend for the price of the scrap gold.the dial was complete mush, so i had C&F refinish it in black..
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 22nd October 2017 at 11:00.

Craftsman
    These are stunners, need to pick up another Omega from the 60s, understated class.

Just the types of watches I love, very simply classic.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Some lovely watches on show guys, definitely gives me an idea for a vintage dress watch cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    beautiful watches op ,inspired me to take a[poor] photo of mine with dust on the crystal.its a 9ct gold version with the 601 movement.i puchased it from a jeweller friend for the price of the scrap gold.the dial was complete mush, so i had C&F refinish it in black..
    Apologies, only just seen this.

Having seen this and Japester's examples I am now getting the hankering for a black dialled Omega.

This site has a lot to answer for.....

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Apologies, only just seen this.

Having seen this and Japester's examples I am now getting the hankering for a black dialled Omega.

This site has a lot to answer for.....
    Yup, keep seeing nice things on this site that I can't afford!

Congratulations gents on each owing a beautiful and very classy dress watch.

Paul, I loo forward to seeing the photos of your's once it is finished.