closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Disney Mickey Mouse wind up watch, can anyone identify the manufacturer?

Vintage Disney Mickey Mouse wind up watch, can anyone identify the manufacturer?

Hi all,

Thanks for reading this post.

I recently picked this watch up, knowing nothing about it except what you can visually see, it’s Mickey Mouse. It’s wind up, and under testing with hairspring on my iPhone it shows +5s per day, I bought it for £20 purely as it’s the most accurate vintage wind up watch I’ve seen.

The dial says Walt Disney productions + Swiss Made, the case back says base metal, Swiss Made and then a serial/model number. The watch doesn’t have a definitive makers/manufacturer mark on it except Walt Disney productions who the last time I checked didn’t seem to be a Swiss watch brand.

Is anyone at all able to shed any light on this unusually accurate vintage Mickey Mouse watch? Please see attached photo’s.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Probably just a private label manufacturer

Vintage Disney Mickey Mouse wind up watch, can anyone identify the manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Probably just a private label manufacturer
    Thanks mate.

Zoomed in and this is the text in the dial:

Also, I wasn’t being nosey but I clicked your profile and saw your interests, check this one out. The bee’s rotate around as the second hand. My daughter loves that one!

Last edited by thehondaman; 21st October 2017 at 01:26.

Can you remove the back to look at the movement? Therein probably lies the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Can you remove the back to look at the movement? Therein probably lies the answer.
    Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I lack the tools and knowledge to take the case back off, I don’t really want to pay a watchmaker to do so either as it was bought just for the novelty value really. It’s paid for itself already with the laughs achieved when I’ve worn it and people have seen it. Maybe someone else will have a similar one who has previously taken the case back off. Thanks again

Last edited by thehondaman; 21st October 2017 at 01:32.

A large number of these were made by Ingersole, I am not sure if they would be Swiss made though as Ingersole was a US company with a factory in Clerkenwell London.

The watch was made by other companies/company FOR Diseny. Just as how, nowadays, someone would make branded umbrellas for Mercedes, for example.

As has been said, removing the case back might reveal more clues but not necessarily. We'd surely be able to tell the movement type but I don't think that it'll have the brand name of the company that made the watch possible so unless you find something on the internet about who made such watches we'll never know just from looking at the watch.

Very nice piece, btw.

The case back should be a simple snap off. You could try and look for an indentation (not all have them) between the case back and the case. After that, a simple knife with a thin but dull blade can get it opened, just be careful not to hurt yourself or damage the watch.

Master
    Disney used to be pretty strict about the use of their characters (less so now, they'll license to anyone!)

Through the 1980's and 1990's the Seiko group had the market sewn up, branding Lorus at the low end and Seiko at the high end for the Disney corporation.

Before that I know Timex and Ingersoll both had licensing agreements, as well as Bulova if I recall.

Anyway, if I was laying money I'd say this is one of the 1960's Timex models.

Indeed Bulova made such watches as well and they are pricey!!

Bradley made a lot of MM watches, and I think they were licensed as they had the Walt Disney Productions script on the dial.
    Last edited by hhhh; 21st October 2017 at 09:12.

As has already been stated, you don't need a special tool to remove the back, just slide a blade between the case and the back and prise it off - there may be a fine slot somewhere for the purpose, maybe not. Afterwards the back will just snap back on under a bit of pressure (with your thumb - no tool needed).
    Last edited by SimonK; 21st October 2017 at 09:47.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Bradley made a lot of MM watches, and I think they were licensed as they had the Walt Disney Productions script on the dial.
    I was just coming back to give the name Bradley - although I haven't found one with that dial design, that dial text and the case back text are found on Bradley MM watches

To all those who were interested and provided help, thanks so much. I finally got round to taking he back off and the manufacturer is ‘Trice’ , who I have never heard of.

Thank you all again, much appreciated.

Trice is a trademark of Agon according to Mikrolisk. Have a google for Agon Chromatic Watch Corp. They apparently made lots of watches for the US market including character watches.

Master
    Movement pictures?

Journeyman
    Always had a soft spot for those Mickey Mouse watches!