closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Migraine Aura

Master

Migraine Aura

A couple of months ago I experienced a weird thing where I had a bright shimmering light at the side of my vision, somewhat like a bright light had been shone in my eyes (it hadn't). Lasted 20-30 minutes then disappeared.

Fast forward to yesterday where there same thing happened three separate times, and to say I was now concerned is an understatement. I mentioned it to my wife (a doc) who said get yourself to the optician PDQ. I managed to get a very thorough check up done today including a fancy and very interesting retinal scan and thankfully all is good, however the optician said she thought what I experienced is migraine aura. Triggered by many things, often combining. Amongst those she mentioned: stress - check, tiredness, check, dehydration - probably (hour and a half spin class night before), spicy food check etc etc. Thankfully I don't have high blood pressure which can also be a trigger.

The effect in my vision was somewhat like this, and was flickering/shimmering

Anyway, at least I don't have the headaches as well as things stand, and keeping everything crossed it remains that way.

I'm wondering if any other members have migraine aura without the rest, and whether anyone has experienced this developing later in life (I'm 53)? Also, to those that do, any thoughts and what triggers theirs?

TIA.

Hello, I'm in my early 40's and this came upon me in my late 30's. My symptoms are 100% same as yours and I have by now identified the very clear triggers same as yours;

1 - Being tired.
    2 - Being slightly dehydrated.
    3 - Red Wine at night/late evening.
    4 - Rich food like cheese at night.

I could literally induce that rainbow/confusion thing at this point it has become quiet predictable. But when it sets in it is extremely disorientating.

Hope this helps.

(If I may add; I have seen a GP on this, I'm healthy enough, I cycle at least 100miles a week, 6ft, 13 stone, no high BP, avg cholesterol, no other health condition).
    (My GP commented that the triggers; tired/food/rich-stuff results in a different blood flow pattern in the brain/skull which upsets something or other).
    Last edited by TimeThoughts; 20th October 2017 at 21:35.

I've been suffering these for the past 2-3 years and for me stress is the trigger. Always starts as a bright light right in front of me, makes you a little worried and then gets worse. I pop 2 strong painkillers asap, drink a pint of water and sit down somewhere quite and cool. After about an hour it slowly subsides and the zig zags go from the centre to the outsides of my peripheral vision as it eases.
    After about an hour it goes but I'm left with a crippling headache across the very top of my head.
    It seems to me the quicker I can take the tabs and lie down the quicker it clears.
    The more you panic the worse it is.....it's not a particularly nice experience when it happens so I try to stay calm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Hello, I'm in my early 40's and this came upon me in my late 30's. My symptoms are 100% same as yours and I have by now identified the very clear triggers same as yours;

1 - Being tired.
    2 - Being slightly dehydrated.
    3 - Red Wine at night/late evening.
    4 - Rich food like cheese at night.

I could literally induce that rainbow/confusion thing at this point it has become quiet predictable. But when it sets in it is extremely disorientating.

Hope this helps.

(If I may add; I have seen a GP on this, I'm healthy enough, I cycle at least 100miles a week, 6ft, 13 stone, no high BP, avg cholesterol, no other health condition).
    (My GP commented that the triggers; tired/food/rich-stuff results in a different blood flow pattern in the brain/skull which upsets something or other).
    Thanks TT, useful, like you I'm pretty healthy (another cyclist!) so no issues on that front. I'll be bloody annoyed if it's the spicy food as I do like a curry...!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    I get the odd flashes, but was diagnosed as having Vitreous detachment, it's age related and nothing can be done about it. Also get 'floaters' with it. Just annoying. I'm surprised your optician

didn't refer you, mine did immediately.
    Thanks for this, however this is not flashes, it's constant for 20-30 minutes and she was very careful to make that distinction, also the scan was conclusive that there are no issues health-wise with my eyes thank goodness. My wife is a doctor and concurs with the outcome, but wanted me to be checked to be sure no issues with my eyes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I've been suffering these for the past 2-3 years and for me stress is the trigger. Always starts as a bright light right in front of me, makes you a little worried and then gets worse. I pop 2 strong painkillers asap, drink a pint of water and sit down somewhere quite and cool. After about an hour it slowly subsides and the zig zags go from the centre to the outsides of my peripheral vision as it eases.
    After about an hour it goes but I'm left with a crippling headache across the very top of my head.
    It seems to me the quicker I can take the tabs and lie down the quicker it clears.
    The more you panic the worse it is.....it's not a particularly nice experience when it happens so I try to stay calm.
    Thanks FFF, so far I'm not having the headache and hope it remains that way. Apparently it is not uncommon just to get the aurae - as has been mentioned these are disorientating but I hope I don't get the head pain too...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Thanks FFF, so far I'm not having the headache and hope it remains that way. Apparently it is not uncommon just to get the aurae - as has been mentioned these are disorientating but I hope I don't get the head pain too...
    The first time it happened it scared the crap out of me and the resulting headache was as bad as I've ever had, it does seem the headaches are getting better afterwards but the lights sometimes are getting worse.
    Another side effect is that it makes me very tired afterwards and can sleep for a few hours.
    Like you mine started around 40.

I've had similar for the last 30 years although maybe only once or twice a year. I take painkillers as soon as it happens and, later on, have a dull headache.

It really is nothing to worry about even though it's annoying.

They're called ocular migraines and I get them a few times a year - they're disturbing but harmless. I also get regular migraines which are far more debilitating. Sometimes the former triggers the latter and the challenge is deciding if/when to take the medication as taking it without migraine is almost as bad as having migraine.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 20th October 2017 at 22:20.

Also in my fifties, started with these two and a half years ago. Same symptoms as you. Typically starts with a bleached out area in the centre of vision which soon changes to the zig zag patterns which move to the edge of vision and out over a period of 20 to 30 minutes. Terrified at first and then it was just like "Oh sod it that's me doing nothing for another 20 minutes".

Once they started I had one on average every 10 days or so for about fourteen months, and then they stopped and I haven´t had one for about 16 months.

No idea what triggered them, why they started or why they stopped. Being a real man (idiot!) I didn't bother going to an optician or doctor and self-diagnosed online. What I was experiencing seemed like classic ocular migraine. Sometimes had a mild headache afterwards, sometimes nothing.

Edited to add that the episodes started soon after I started wearing reading glasses. I've no idea whether there's any causality there, but the fact that one change in something ocular occurred concurrently with another one is at least worth considering.
    Last edited by Jdh1; 20th October 2017 at 22:41. Reason: More Info

Another sufferer here. I've been having them since I was at school, and am now approaching 50. For me, the aura used to precede a full-on debilitating migraine. Nowadays, they're few and far between and usually result in nothing more than a dull headache. Orange juice and cocoa butter (!) seem to be triggers for me.

I'm posting as I know there are a few divers here. There is evidence that migraine with aura may be linked to PFO. PFOs are not uncommon, but may increase the chance of a diver getting bent. I've spoken with my GP and diving doctor about this. The NHS won't pay for a scan just so that I can go diving, so the diving doctor recommended that I dive far more conservatively. YMMV.

I’ve had this too and sometimes get horrendous migraines with it. When I get a migraine my head pounds and I feel dizzy and sick. Onlly lying down in a darkened room helps. Twice I have fainted from a migraine, once on a busy train in Paris where the other passengers carried me off and an ambulance crew were already waiting for me at the station. The other was in the street in London where people were equally as quick to come to my aid. In my case my blood pressure shoots up to very high levels (like 220/180) when a migraine hits me full force and this is what causes my vision issues and occasional fainting. Solution for me seems to be regular hard exercise (cycling) and drinking masses of water. I also have to avoid alcohol or be very careful if I do drink (many red wines trigger an instant migraine in me but organic reds usually don’t).

For those who both are just being diagnosed with Migraine or even if they have had a it a while, I would really recommend this book by probably the leading expert in the field Oliver Sacks, who died recently. I explains the many and various forms of migraines and treatments and is probably the seminal work on what can be a life altering condition. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Migraine-Ol...migraine+sacks

This has been discussed on here before. I've had them for a number of years and it was quite worrying at first but the optician said it was nothing to worry about unless the frequency increased. It happens maybe a couple of times a year, when I'm very tired or stressed.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...hlight=occular

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Another occasional sufferer here, aged 54. I believe it's called 'scintillating scotoma' if it has nothing to do with 1) a cause in the eye itself; or 2) a full-blown migraine headache.

I have had scintillating scotoma since my late 20's, and it is called Acephalic Migraine, migraine without the pain. Get it occasionally and I feel weak, and get the shakes and an urge to eat and drink when it occurs and have to take care not to overdo it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acephalgic_migraine

Master
    Thanks for this thread! I've been getting these for years but infrequently and without the headaches. Couldn't figure what this sparky patch in my vision was!

this is good timing I had something very similar this week - not coloured but more an arc of prisms and didn't last too long.

Just hope it never comes again.

If you thought that Migraine Aura was bad, just wait for Migraine Irma.

Yes, I know it's a cheap gag before anyone jumps on me for making light of two serious issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    If you thought that Migraine Aura was bad, just wait for Migraine Irma.

Yes, I know it's a cheap gag before anyone jumps on me for making light of two serious issues.

Or... "Tell Aura I Love Her"...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    A couple of months ago I experienced a weird thing where I had a bright shimmering light at the side of my vision, somewhat like a bright light had been shone in my eyes (it hadn't). Lasted 20-30 minutes then disappeared.

Fast forward to yesterday where there same thing happened three separate times, and to say I was now concerned is an understatement. I mentioned it to my wife (a doc) who said get yourself to the optician PDQ. I managed to get a very thorough check up done today including a fancy and very interesting retinal scan and thankfully all is good, however the optician said she thought what I experienced is migraine aura. Triggered by many things, often combining. Amongst those she mentioned: stress - check, tiredness, check, dehydration - probably (hour and a half spin class night before), spicy food check etc etc. Thankfully I don't have high blood pressure which can also be a trigger.

The effect in my vision was somewhat like this, and was flickering/shimmering

Anyway, at least I don't have the headaches as well as things stand, and keeping everything crossed it remains that way.

I'm wondering if any other members have migraine aura without the rest, and whether anyone has experienced this developing later in life (I'm 53)? Also, to those that do, any thoughts and what triggers theirs?

TIA.
    I’ve been getting these on and off for about five years. I can go long periods of time (months) without any and then get more than one in a week. The last one I had was while I was out having a meal on Saturday evening.

For me they always start as a pin prick in the centre of my vision and then grow into a half moon shape that moves across and the outside of my vision. It then disappears leaving me with a thick head.

I’ve never been able to connect a pattern to them but I have also read that certain foods or ingredients in some foods can trigger them. As can stress. We are currently looking to move house which is what I’m putting my resent spat of them down to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A visualisation of a scintillating scotoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    I get the odd flashes, but was diagnosed as having Vitreous detachment, it's age related and nothing can be done about it. Also get 'floaters' with it. Just annoying. I'm surprised your optician

didn't refer you, mine did immediately.
    It's a completely different condition, with a completely different onset/symptoms. Can usually diagnose from symptoms alone, but would be foolish not to to a dilated fundus exam to be sure.

An uncomplicated PVD doesn't always require referral.

Master
    Blog Entries
    OP I've had migraines with aura since my 20's. Fortunately not the really severe headaches and other symptoms that some get, but the headache could drag on for several days during which time I felt washed out. But nowadays my infrequent auras rarely lead to a migraine. I tend to rest for 45 mins with a couple of paracetamol and all is well (the scintillating scotoma, as I think it's called, gradually expands outwards until it disappears from my field of vision ).

Hope you're similarly untroubled (relatively speaking) in future

ATB

Jon

Another one here Si ;-)

Mine started in my early 40s and the first time I ended up sitting in a and e I was so worried.

I generally start with the flashes followed by what can only be described as a hole in my vision then my peripheral vision starts to close in. At this point my head starts to hurt as well as my hands ??

The only thing that works for me is two pink Migraleve as soon as the flashes start otherwise I have to lay down in a dark room and sleep.

Mine generally gets kicked off when changing from direct sun to office lighting or vise versa, stress and tired.
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

I'm 41 and I've had this over the past year and have found that it has been triggered when pushing myself too far physically, usually within an hour of rest afterwards and lasting up to half an hour. First was doing painting & decorating all day with very little rest over two weeks. It was pretty scary at first, to say the least. Although after further research it appears that it's not all that uncommon.

The other occasion I used to get it a lot was earlier this year when I decided to kick my fitness up several notches doing HIIT or strength training 5 days a week. When I first started the fitness sessions I'd get them regularly, usually a couple of times a week but as my fitness has improved they have reduced to about once or twice a month. I've also made more of an effort to eat something sensible an hour or two before working out and drink plenty of water as I've found if either of these areas is lacking that they can trigger the aura.

Wow, interesting thread. I did not know these were a thing but that explains a lot. I had a big one several years ago, not sure what the hell it was or what caused it. Luckily I have not had one as severe since as the initial one, but I still get them occasionally.

Learned something new.