closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 36mm or 39mm opinions please!

39mm . I see at work a lot of middle aged men, often overweight, with 36mm DJs and they really look too small on those wrists. But then again wear what you feel is the best for you and forget about the others.

I think a lot of perception is different from different ages. I recently purchased a 34mm airking and 36 datejust and both get more compliments from my peers than my matte dial 16800, whereas for people over a certain age the sub gets more.

Before I bought my datejust I did buy a small seiko automatic (I think it was an snk 355k) to see how it wore. That could be a good week experiment to stop buyers remorse later on?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've had both versions of the 214270 and currently have a 114270. For me the 36mm size works better which is partly down to the fact I have a 6.5" wrist and partly because I think there is too much dial on the 39mm versions. I wanted to prefer one of the newer versions and I didn't dislike them at all (they are really nice watches in their own right). I just knew when wearing them that the 114270 was the right one for me.

As to your pictures and which looks better from a case size point of view on you. I don't think either would look out of place as the 39mm certainly doesn't look overly big and the 36mm isn't small. In fact I would say the 36mm is a better size for you. Try the 39mm Explorer and the 36mm version at the same time and go with the your instinct.

For what is is worth I also favour the 36mm Oyster Perpetual over the 39mm and have one of those with the steel dial.

Craftsman
    For many years I thought my 7" wrist was small and skinny.... but after reading this thread and other similar ones I've come to realise that there are plenty of adult men with smaller wrists than mine. I find 44mm is the perfect diameter for me (Sinn U2 and Sinn U1000) I'm also wearing a 52mm Seiko as a beater at the moment. 36mm would feel like a woman's watch to me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    And another 39mm Explorer 1 - take a step back - close up phone pictures often look distorted. 6 3/4 “ wrist.
    This is a really crucial point. Judging on the basis of wide angle lens phone pics taken from 40cm away can be extremely misleading, making watches appear to overhang and have bad proportions when in reality they don’t. From the pictures provided the 36mm looks better, but that may not be the reality. My guess is that the OP is in the lucky position of being able to wear either. In a mirror from a few paces away both will look completely different. Having said that, with 6.5” wrists, I do find the 39mm slightly oversized and wish they had stopped at 38mm. What I look for is a watch that looks good on your own wrist when checking the time, that is also in proportion in a full length mirror from a few feet away. Based on the pics shown it’s hard to say which will pass both of these tests or provide the best compromise.

Master
    14270 for the vintage feel for me. Whilst the newer bracelet is 'better' there's something about the older one that is just really nice. Size wise, like most sub 38mm watches it can feel a little small when you first put it on but after an hour or so it doesn't and you begin to appreciate how just right the proportions are, especially for smart-casual and business wear.

Craftsman
    dont listen to them, 36mm all the way!!

Craftsman
    For the Explorer i'd go with the 36. For an OP go with what you think. :)

Apprentice
    Thanks for the input everyone! I’ve given my number to the AD to call me once they have the 39mm in stock so will post true comparison pictures when I can!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakkajai View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone! I’ve given my number to the AD to call me once they have the 39mm in stock so will post true comparison pictures when I can!

Is the 39mm Explorer really that hard to come by in London?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by nick1 View Post
    Is the 39mm Explorer really that hard to come by in London?
    Only been to Selfridges and Watches of Switzerland in Covent Garden so far both out of stock!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Haven't you made your mind up yet?????,

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Haha not yet!

Apprentice
    Finally managed to try on the 39mm Explorer. It looked gorgeous on display but some reason when I tried it on, I didn’t get that excited feeling and was left slightly underwhelmed! I think overall it looks a little too clunky for my liking for the understated look I’m going for.

I think it’s back to the drawing board for the time being! Thanks for the input everyone.

Craftsman
    I'd say 39mm for sure.

Master
    I would say the size is not an issue, once the thing is on the wrist it all looks the same.

The issue is bling, the 39mm is a shade more blingy whilst the the 36mm is more toned down. It's more a question of style rather than size.

Craftsman
    39 look good

Journeyman
    I have both the new 214270 w lumed numbers and the 114270 and love them both. I have a 6.75” wrist. I like the new for the bracelet, the lume, and the clasp. With the 114270 I prefer the lines with thinner lugs and I’m less afraid to wear it in less safe conditions. One doesn’t feel too small and the other not too big. For me the bracelet and lume are a big deal but I’d be hard pressed to say I like one over the other.

The 39 does seem more blingy, but not too much. For me, I like the feel of the 39 better, but I prefer looking at the 36.

Seriously, I cannot imagine being disappointed with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am finding this thread very useful, as I too am in the same position as the OP.

I have always admired the Explorer, as I imagine myself to be a great Explorer!!!! LOL...........Not

But have always stopped getting one, as it doesn't have the date.

However, to mark a special occasion next year, this is the piece that am thinking of getting.

I will then be a one watch person

I shall have it inscribed, so hopefully it will be passed down to my children and then their's etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I am finding this thread very useful, as I too am in the same position as the OP.

I have always admired the Explorer, as I imagine myself to be a great Explorer!!!! LOL...........Not

But have always stopped getting one, as it doesn't have the date.

However, to mark a special occasion next year, this is the piece that am thinking of getting.

I will then be a one watch person

I shall have it inscribed, so hopefully it will be passed down to my children and then their's etc.
    Don't worry about not having a date. If someone cannot remember todays date then they got a serious medical problem and the type of watch that they are wearing is the least of their problems.

Today is the 18th, is that really difficult to remember ?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I think the 36mm is a much better looking watch. The 39mm looks to me like a supersize me compromise to fashion and a bit ungainly. I also think that the history of the design lies with the 36mm case and to the function of the watch as a tool piece. Smaller watches are also easier to wear imo. Lighter, less likely to be knocked. When I try on the more modern versions of these watches the braclets feel too chunky too. And bigger watches have historically been 'small' size watch faces but with bezels or other complications necessitating larger cases. Except I suppose for pilots watches for good design reasons.

The OP appears to be trying watches on/below the ulnar styloid, which cannot be helping.

Grand Master
    36mm all the way for me. Unless you've got big wrists it's the better size, the design works better. Yes, it'll look smaller than a 42mm dive watch but why does that have to be a bad thing.

Why's everyone scared of wearing a smaller watch thesedays?

Paul

Craftsman
    Unless you’re a ‘vintage guy’ or have smaller wrists I think the more modern 39 is the way to go. I had the OP in this version and found it a great size.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    36mm all the way for me. Unless you've got big wrists it's the better size, the design works better. Yes, it'll look smaller than a 42mm dive watch but why does that have to be a bad thing.

Why's everyone scared of wearing a smaller watch thesedays?

Paul
    Most of my regular watches are around 40mm, but recently bought a couple of 36mm ones. I was apprehensive, but now think it's a cracking size. Based on that I decided to get a datejust 1601 and it is perfectly proportioned. Hopefully it doesn't out me off my other watches!

Craftsman

36 mm has been good enough for decades.

I think it suits a regular wrist perfectly.

Especialy the Explorer in 36 mm can be worn with everything from suit to leather jacket.

Although I have fa bigger watches, somehow I am leaning towards the smaller ones.

I received my 114270 yesterday and am blown away with it.

I have tracked down one of the new 39mm Explorers near to me, so hope to go and try it on next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I have tracked down one of the new 39mm Explorers near to me, so hope to go and try it on next week.
    There was one today in Fraser Hart in Westfield Stratford they also had the new Airking.

Quote Originally Posted by BMONSTER View Post
    36 mm has been good enough for decades.
    Aye but obesity has tripled since the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Don't worry about not having a date. If someone cannot remember todays date then they got a serious medical problem and the type of watch that they are wearing is the least of their problems.

Today is the 18th, is that really difficult to remember ?
    I think that it is more to do with my OCD

And yes there are times, when I don't know what the date is.

Does that mean that I have got a "Serious Medical Problem!

Can it be treated? ;-)

Switch to a date watch.

And 36mm is the deal. It is just so well balanced. Look at how the bracelet goes too.

ciao
    BUBI

Journeyman
    39mm I reckon.
    Though I'm sure 36mm will come back into being the norm again soon

My preference is for 39mm but go for what you are drawn to.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app