closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pinion Atom - And a bit of background story

Master
    What a fascinating story, thanks for the post. Congratulations for making it so far with the brand, they really are stunning watches (particularly the GMT design!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather enjoying mine...

Journeyman
    Piers, I saw the Atom on a blog post this morning and it looks great. One for my wish list I think!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I noticed Hodinkee have a 'week on the wrist' on the Atom. I must have missed this on here. The watches look great and fair play for going for it.

Hi All

I thought I would update this post as I originally mentioned the Titanium GMT I was working on ( There was a render on the original post ) this watch along with a new Axis II Bronze is now complete, phew!

The TT ( Two Time-zones ) is a Titanium cased GMT that I've made in two colour ways. The first ( pictured ) is a maroon dial with orange accents and central seconds hand. I've made this watch using the ETA2893-2 which is a popular movement, however for some it is not a 'purist' GMT but for the likes of small outfits like me, the only option at the moment. It's 42mm and about 25% lighter than one of the similar sized steel models I've made before. It's the first time I've really explored using different colours in a watch and enjoyed seeing the results. There's a fair amount of risk in doing something in this colour-way as it simply may not sell, but you have to try these things out I guess in order to learn what works and what doesn't.

One of the challenges I faced with this watch, was wanting to retain my applied numerals as I have used on previous models and wanting to make the GMT hand longer, rather than place a smaller 24H track around the middle of the dial ( which I feel would make the overall look a bit more cluttered).

So what I did is make a GMT hand that bends just before the numerals so this can then float over top. It's not something I've seen much of and I am pleased with how it came out. Whilst the GMT hand is a fairly recognised one, the bend in the hand makes it slightly more individual.

In addition to the Maroon dial, I've also made one with a more neutral looking anthracite dial that has violet rather than orange central seconds, but have not assembled one of these yet.

On the reverse, I've again done an exhibition back on this model and decorated the winding rotor in pale blue that is a close match to the GMT hand on the front ( it looks darker due to the lighting in this picture ).

Straps are not finalised and the anthracite model also needs building but good to finally see this project finished which has taken me over a year from start to finish. As with the Atom, the date wheels are typographically different from the standard ETA and coloured to match the dials. Very nice to see a maroon date disc. The 4:30 position will no doubt be a downer for some people, but you can't win em all!

Next up is a revision on my Axis II Bronze watch. I launched the brand back in 2013 with a bronze watch ( as detailed in the original post ) and around 2016 I made the decision to stop making bronze to focus on titanium for the GMT instead. However I had so many people contact me asking for bronze again, so I put a new batch into production in December last year and produced some design revisions. A downside to doing short runs on manufacture means the prices are a bit silly per unit, but the upside is it's quicker to change and evolve the designs, making each batch slightly different from the last ( Better I hope!).

First, is obviously the inclusion now of the Bronze crown. I originally made the bronze watches with steel crowns because I simply did not have the cash or time to manufacture at launch and the look just retained in the further editions I made. However I really feel the new crown completes the watch and along with it I used some new style gold hands to keep the overall look more uniform.

For this one, I reduced the overall diameter area of the dial design, meaning that rather than working the second markers up to the edge there is now a gap. Whilst the case still remains at 42mm, the smaller dial area makes the overall watch appear smaller when put side by side to an existing model. The small dial design area also resulted in using slight smaller hour and min hands - so the overall effect feels more vintage inspired in appearance - There's also a healthy bit of fauxtina for the minute markers to just get that vintage look which people will either love or hate along with the 4:30 date wheel :-)

As before, the bronze is raw so the patina will develop as a slow natural process.

After this lot, I have more on the roadmap. There is a short run Atom with no date and different design to the original ( the original atom run is now sold out ). I'm then going to decide whether to keep the Atom going or develop it further, so quite possibly a 39mm version but this time possibly using an ETA movement.

I then have a short run Valjoux 7734 as this movement will celebrate it's 50th anniversary next year.

I'm also looking at a 40mm chronograph 7750, but depending on what comes up this may wait as I am looking at using a non ETA Swiss movement supplier ( But not Sellita or Soprod ) that will provide many more options and accessibility than I currently get ( ETA is so difficult to get hold of now it's not sustainable for future development of thing as you never know where you stand).

I haven't even loaded this stuff onto the site yet, just placed here and on instagram but will get round to it in the next week or so.

Again continued thanks to Eddie for originally allowing me to make this post last year, I hope you enjoyed the update. Now time for a cold beer.

Blog Entries
    Nice work.

Will the the bronze crown be available as a retrofit for my Pure Pro?

z

Cant wait to see the first real world pics of the no daye atom !!

the bronze looks great - as does the gmt - really like the applied numbers on the dial to give it depth!

Keep up the good work ! - still my custom axis (along with the schofields and gshocks :) )

I think i have nicely found my niche !!

cheers

matt

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Nice work.

Will the the bronze crown be available as a retrofit for my Pure Pro?

z
    Not on the pure - they use a different crown fitting making them incompatible with the 2824-2 crowns. Sorry!

Love the new revision on the bronze Piers. Very nice work.

Steve

Bit of an update. I've just finished off the Atom range with this no date version.

Made to 30 pieces, this small edition has sold out in just over two weeks. I might have 1-2 going free in a week or so if people drop out.

I'm now working on the next Atom which will likely be 40mm, ETA2824-2 (This time date window at 3H!) and based closer to the original V1 but with some influence from this edition as well - with expected retail < 1k GBP in early 2019 or sooner if I can get my act together!

Great to see the real life pics - it turned out fantastic!

Master
    They look fantastic! Off to browse your site!

That looks very nice.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Looking good there Piers. :)

Fish

Looks like a similar dial finish to the new Omega Railmaster but overall a much better looking watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Great looking watch. Really liking the design of the hands as well particularly the second hand.

Journeyman
    Exactly what I was thinking. Hands do look different in a good way!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Great looking watch. Really liking the design of the hands as well particularly the second hand.
    Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Any news about some potential 38mm watches? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Any news about some potential 38mm watches? :)
    Currently working on a follow-up to the Atom:

40mm, Stainless steel, ETA2824-2, Date at 3H ;-) Price < £1,000.

Should hopefully have something before the end of 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK) View Post
    Currently working on a follow-up to the Atom:

40mm, Stainless steel, ETA2824-2, Date at 3H ;-) Price < £1,000.

Should hopefully have something before the end of 2018.
    Sounds good, looking forward to it!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK) View Post
    Hi guys thanks for the kind comments.

Re: 38mm - I have a smaller watch ( poss. 36-38mm ) planned, this will have a vintage ETA 2451 ( handwound with date display movement ) which will be an addition of approx. 100 pieces.

Regards, Piers
    This sounds great. A very interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

A little update on what I've been doing over the past few months.

I did a bit of online research with 250+ people ( some of you who will be reading this may have taken part ) and came up with the Atom 39 - In short a 39mm ( it's in the name ) but this time with ETA 2824-2 rather than the Miyota ( Which is excellent, but the majority wanted Swiss... ) and subtle stuff that often divides like the date at 3H ( Which takes longer to design so it works !) Anyway here's some pictures of the prototypes. Watches will be ready Feb 2019, and with introduction prices will be £1,050.

On this one, whilst the case is 39mm I designed the dial to be a similar size to the existing 42mm watches - hence little bezel. This means the watch looks bigger than 39mm but wears quite small.

- Note I did some experiments with the blasting of the case, the black dial version is finer - the white more corse. So final watches will be in the finer finish....

Hi Piers,

Are the numbers also lumed on the black dial ? I am guessing not but they do seem to match the lume plots.

Cheers

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Hi Piers,

Are the numbers also lumed on the black dial ? I am guessing not but they do seem to match the lume plots.

Cheers

Matt
    Hi Mat

The 12, 3(mark) 6 and 9 Are lumed the rest of the smaller numbers aren't.

P

Master
    Excellent stuff! All the best with it all

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

A very nice looking watch. It's too similar to my PRS-29B in looks for me to buy one but I really like the design of the date and three o'clock lume plot in the outline. That's very clever and such a practical application.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Thought I'd do an update to this original post to let you know what I've been up-to for few months.

Last year,
    I had did a load of work for Film & TV. Some of it worked, others didn't.

- Dean Norris (Breaking Bad) wore a Pure Steel for 'The Hustle' (Anne Hathaway film) - however he was in it for only one scene and wore a jacket all the way through!

- Hugh Grant wore an Axis II Bronze for 'The Gentlemen' they filmed this in Feb and March last year and yes wears a jacket, a few glimpses but no huge screen time! ( He did comment that he loved the watch though and coming from him, that was quite a compliment).

- I fitted two stars from BBCs the Split for the entire series - Six episodes and some quality screen presence! Good to see a female wearing a watch on screen as well.

- a big TV star is also set to wear a polished bronze Axis II for Doctor Who ( I assume this will be Christmas Special ).

- And finally, I got Jon Cena fitted up for a scene in Fast and Furious 9. Film was due May this year but got delayed until next year.I had to make an extra large strap for his 9" wrists! grab from the trailer...

This year,
    Firstly, I was all set to release a no-date follow-up to the Atom 39 early in the year. After I made the prototypes of the dial ( Below ) I then put the dials into manufacture - these were to use raised injection moulded Luminova. The order was placed early January and due by end Feb / Early March. I got the call in late Feb saying these would be delayed until April. Then Covid-19 happened during March and was told these should be ready end of June. Everything in the meantime was complete: straps, new hands, cases etc. all ready to go and about 80 customers all ready to take the first orders ( no deposits taken though ).

I was working as a design consultant in central London just prior to lockdown, and caught the virus myself - was very ill for about three weeks, but was glad to be remote working!

When the lockdown was relaxed in June, I spent a good couple of weeks trying to get a response from the dial maker, but nothing. They then got in touch at the start of July to state that there was a problem with the dials and they would need to be 'started again' - Whilst I'm used to delays, this wasn't good news. So I told them I was cancelling this and I would revert back to my other dial maker ( the one who did the Axis II dials ) to restart this. Because they cannot do the raised luminova, and I wasn't in a position to go trying to find another supplier, I had to re-jig the design and get it back into production.

During the remote working phase, I finally decided to get my automatic chronograph finally kicked off. I'd been meaning to do this for a good three years, but never got the time to start it ( This is what happens when you try to run a watch company whilst doing full-time design work at the same time!). The extra time and thinking space by being remote was perfect for this and the "Pinion Elapse" was born. This is 42mm Valjoux 7750 model and a layout that is probably one of the most challenging to look good, as you're subjected to placing the logo not under 12 - three registers and Day / Date. I felt that removing the date entirely would be the best way to create some balance and structure to the dial. The Elapse is being made in brushed anthracite, silver and salmon. Doing the design mockups with salmon is not the easiest and it's the kind of dial that will only really show it's true character 'in the metal'.

Both this and the Atom ND now due to be launched October, hopefully no more delays! I'm currently working on a fairly large-scale private commission project which will take a good year to finish if it gets that far.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the update Piers. I hope you’re fully recovered now?

The salmon dial chrono looks lovely. Hope to see that in the flesh soon.

Good luck with everything!

Good to hear from you Piers and the update. Happy to hear you've recovered from Covid and things are back on track with the brand! The Axis II seems to be a hit at least! Is Cena also wearing one? Shame the raised luminova didn't work out - look forward to seeing the final atom. good luck!

Master
    looks like your can order the pinion from the website now. I do like the green one, with the green leather strap. It is under consideration!

Enjoyed re-reading the thread, and I'm glad you've recovered from Covid.

I absolutely love the black/grey dialled Elapse and new Atom ND with new hand set and cleaner look dial, I'll be heading over to the website to learn more.

Anyone tried the newer no date atoms?

Really fancy the green dial but need a push

Master
    Have to say that I have had many high end watches and also just missed out on a Speedy here but the Atom that I have just purchased via eBay I am super impressed with.

Everything about the whole experience from taking the ribbon off the box to unrolling the watch roll and then the watch. Just a great watch shape, feel and looks, have not worn a non sports watch for ages and was starting to get bored of just the same Apple Watch on my wrist but this is just great!!

Well done Piers and reading this thread is just great to hear!! I think you have me now as a customer and would seriously consider purchasing again soon!!

It's been a while since I last did an update here. Still at it... Just launched these three yesterday. (Pinion Neutron)...

Much kudos going to TZ-UK member Gary (MrSmith) who did these brilliant shots for me!

They look great, especially the black. Off to visit your site!

Yet another stunner, I really like the hands

Master
    Lovely. Black would be my choice but the dusty pink looks great.

Really like the black one, something a bit different and a nice sensible size.

What an absolutely beautiful design

Lovely Piers, very elegant. Congratulations on the new models.

Thought I’d update this post with something I did last year - a special commission for RAF 617 “Dambusters” squadron. Rather than doing the ‘rebadge a retail model’ approach, I devised an exclusive dial design for the squadron, with abstracted badge being the central part, waves pressed into the dial ( referencing also their badge), but also developed a bespoke “lightning” central seconds hand. 80 pieces, exclusively for serving or retired RAF / Royal Navy personnel only. Powered by Sellita SW200 - retailed for around £900.

Whilst there’s a nod to their history on the back, this watch was intended to represent the squadron in. 2023/24 with their fifth gen. F35-B aircraft.

In addition to this, I used my new 42mm 2-part case ( bezel and middle are the same part ) upgraded now to screw-down crown which will be used on the Axis 3 which should be previewed in March sometime.

I’ll be at the British Watch Makers Day on March 9th in London, hope to see some of you there…

Craftsman
    An enjoyable read and an inspirational "get on and do it" story. I like the Atom very much.

Really liking the RAF model. Always loved the Axis
    It's just a matter of time...

The 617 squadron version is very smart. One of the nicest unit watches I have seen.

That's very cool. Bravo.

Craftsman
    Nicely done Piers. A good looking thing.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Well done Piers. A lovely update & gorgeous watch. Nice to see you left the branding for the back only. Let the quality speak for itself & the service of the owners tell their stories.