closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are sales on SC rather sluggish?

Master

Are sales on SC rather sluggish?

I haven't been around long enough to be confident about this; but I get the impression that Sales Corner is quite sluggish, especially for more expensive stuff . Even well-priced watches seem to be sticking. Isn't the Autumn traditionally a strong sales season?

Handbags are slow.

I sold my Sub in under 5mins a couple of weeks ago, priced right things will move

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Handbags are slow.
    I'm half wondering if Michael Kors himself has joined under a pseudonym and is trying to flog some stock for a bit of the old 'cash in hand, avoid the tax'?

Banned
    Must be seen as a risky place to post anything for sale with a posse raft and waiting to find fault, or research what you paid, befor subsequently ruining the post. Reluctance to list here keeps variety down and sales slow. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an interesting section of the forum, but there’s just too many busy bodies.

Where’s Jimp gone?

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Where’s Jimp gone?
    He's off on a tactical training course.

The fact than my bargain Pogue hasn't been snapped up makes me think that the Internet is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    He's off on a tactical training course.
    Is that on how to paint things black and call them tactical?

I have some tactical shoes...

They're black.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Master
    Im inclined to agree with the below, for the main part SC has been great Ive enjoyed buying and selling but of late the amount of people who jump on the bandwagon to have there input takes away from the thread and is detrimental to the poster and derails the whole process

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Must be seen as a risky place to post anything for sale with a posse raft and waiting to find fault, or research what you paid, befor subsequently ruining the post. Reluctance to list here keeps variety down and sales slow. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an interesting section of the forum, but there’s just too many busy bodies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Im inclined to agree with the below, for the main part SC has been great Ive enjoyed buying and selling but of late the amount of people who jump on the bandwagon to have there input takes away from the thread and is detrimental to the poster and derails the whole process

Couldn't disagree more.

The freedom of commenting on sales posts is what makes this place great and one of the safest places to buy something.
    The only people whom need to worry/get offended by someone else commenting on their sales thread are those with something to hide.
    If a watch is not as described, ridulously overpriced or the seller is profiteering at the expense of others on this forum then they 100% need calling out for it on the sales thread.
    If I'd made a mistake on my sales thread or had overpriced something and it was pointed out, I'd be man enough to admit it and amend the post/price accordingly, not throw all my toys out the pram as seems to be the norm.
    But everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion and is able to put it across on here, which again is what makes this self moderating forum one of the best.

Master
    I think my message has been misunderstood - regards your point I totally agree and also would say thats why H&V is in place - I was refering to comments regards a BLNR that I had offered over list recently despite me having that precise offer from Watchfinder but I chose to offer it on the basis it may be of interest to someone and took pelters as a consequence.

Needless to say if I was in the same position again I wouldnt even post id just deal with watchfinder in that instance

Quote Originally Posted by j4ckal View Post
    Couldn't disagree more.

The freedom of commenting on sales posts is what makes this place great and one of the safest places to buy something.
    The only people whom need to worry/get offended by someone else commenting on their sales thread are those with something to hide.
    If a watch is not as described, ridulously overpriced or the seller is profiteering at the expense of others on this forum then they 100% need calling out for it on the sales thread.
    If I'd made a mistake on my sales thread or had overpriced something and it was pointed out, I'd be man enough to admit it and amend the post/price accordingly, not throw all my toys out the pram as seems to be the norm.
    But everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion and is able to put it across on here, which again is what makes this self moderating forum one of the best.

Ive been thinking for some time now that SC is slow and lacks variety of watches, it seems a year ago there were a lot more watches for sale and moving.
    Dont think its just a price issue or the risk of being panned by some for various reasons, I think people are just not selling or are using other sales methods, which is probably a result of it being slow on SC

I think there is some truth to the point made that people are now more fearful of listing items only to get an avalanche of abuse or sarcasm which was never as common in the past (rose tinted specs of days gone by? possibly).

and this in turn potentially results in more vendors opting to off load to WF or similar just for an easy life meaning less listings.

that said there are some good value listings of nice watches that have not found a new home yet - so maybe it is just a bit quiet out there ?

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    I think there is some truth to the point made that people are now more fearful of listing items only to get an avalanche of abuse or sarcasm which was never as common in the past (rose tinted specs of days gone by? possibly).

and this in turn potentially results in more vendors opting to off load to WF or similar just for an easy life meaning less listings.

that said there are some good value listings of nice watches that have not found a new home yet - so maybe it is just a bit quiet out there ?
    I have been pulled up over price, for not charging enough.

It wasn't a watch though, I don't sell watches.
    Might swap if I like the watch offered though.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

Master
    The pleasure of selling through SC is that you meet fellow enthusiasts , and often have a good chat. Selling through traders is more anonymous, although sometimes easier. I like SC, but I feel buyers are a bit thin on the ground at the moment. Some lovely watches have gone unsold.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I sold my Sub in under 5mins a couple of weeks ago, priced right things will move
    Well priced Rolex will always move quickly on here, especially in the current market.

Other brands, not so much, and I doubt it's because they are all not priced "right".

The Zenith Chrono is a good example. Beautiful limited edition watch, great brand, a good price...and still there.
    Last edited by hhhh; 20th October 2017 at 13:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The pleasure of selling through SC is that you meet fellow enthusiasts , and often have a good chat. Selling through traders is more anonymous, although sometimes easier. I like SC, but I feel buyers are a bit thin on the ground at the moment. Some lovely watches have gone unsold.
    Totally agree with that point. I have met a couple of TZer s through buying off SC and great guys both of them. It is nice to just talk watches for a bit with a like minded enthusiast.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Agreed.

Stuff not selling is probably due to people paying too much in the first place and being unable to stomach the loss.

If only some people would swallow their pride they'd get the thing sold. Multiple thousand pound watches bumped with a fifty pound reduction is not a bargain.

Constant bumping looks desperate and puts people off IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    I think my message has been misunderstood - regards your point I totally agree and also would say thats why H&V is in place - I was refering to comments regards a BLNR that I had offered over list recently despite me having that precise offer from Watchfinder but I chose to offer it on the basis it may be of interest to someone and took pelters as a consequence.

Needless to say if I was in the same position again I wouldnt even post id just deal with watchfinder in that instance
    I don't recall your post getting pelters.
    I can only recall 1 person disagreeing with your right to post at the WF offer.

I had 3 watches on SC last Friday. All were realistically priced and I tried to be as honest as possible on the the threads. All sold by Sunday and no abuse received. There can be a lot of abuse/sarcasm on SC but I'd say the majority of it is directed at sales that deserve it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    There can be a lot of abuse/sarcasm on SC but I'd say the majority of it is directed at sales that deserve it.
    Yep I agree. As I said above, that's what makes this place great.
    Last edited by j4ckal; 20th October 2017 at 18:36.

Apprentice
    So true!

Blog Entries
    Must be Brexit. Oh hang on - should this topic be in the BP?

Banned
    Large sized second hand clothing seems to sell quickly. Maybe not many real watch enthusiasts within the membership?

Master
    That Zenith CP-2 is the absolute bargain of the year. I can't understand that sitting around!

A quick sale tells you it was a steal, a steady few days leading to a sale tells you it was priced well, a no sale bump fest tells you its overpriced.
    Ergo: If SC is slow its because items are overpriced.
    In days of yore, there were 3 basic markets. TZ members rates, general 'outsiders' SH and retail. Things did seem to sell more regularly then but maybe thats the rose tinted specs?
    For me, the PB gangsters haven't helped potential sale posts either.

17 items on SC first page not watches or watch related, thats quite a percentage, 34% of posts on that page.
    Maybe that is what is making it look slow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    A quick sale tells you it was a steal, a steady few days leading to a sale tells you it was priced well, a no sale bump fest tells you its overpriced.
    Ergo: If SC is slow its because items are overpriced.
    In days of yore, there were 3 basic markets. TZ members rates, general 'outsiders' SH and retail. Things did seem to sell more regularly then but maybe thats the rose tinted specs?
    For me, the PB gangsters haven't helped potential sale posts either.
    Yep, there's a lot of unpleasant people saying unpleasant things.

As there's no moderation anarchy is inevitable.

Tin hat on, gets under table.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I had 3 watches on SC last Friday. All were realistically priced and I tried to be as honest as possible on the the threads. All sold by Sunday and no abuse received. There can be a lot of abuse/sarcasm on SC but I'd say the majority of it is directed at sales that deserve it.
    My apologies, I had visitors over the weekend and checked the forum only sporadically. I promise to double-spoil your next sales thread.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    I think tz members are well capable of making their own decisions. I doubt that comments from others, good or bad, make any difference. It's price and condition in the end. It's possible that there is a general slowdown in the market, from which SC will not be immune. The economy is not good (!).

I think tz members are well capable of making their own decisions. I doubt that comments from others, good or bad, make any difference. It's price and condition in the end. It's possible that there is a general slowdown in the market, from which SC will not be immune. The economy is not good (!).
    As someone else said, I couldn't disagree more.

Propaganda is very powerful, put some doubt into people's minds and a sale becomes all but impossible.
    Last edited by luddite; 20th October 2017 at 19:48.

I haven't been around long enough to be confident about this; but I get the impression that Sales Corner is quite sluggish, especially for more expensive stuff . Even well-priced watches seem to be sticking. Isn't the Autumn traditionally a strong sales season?
    I don't see this at all.

There have been done very high end prices paid over the last few weeks, and deals completed very quickly.

Maybe you notice the odd well priced watch not selling, or a number of the same items being bumped again and again, but there isn't much change to otter months imo.

There have certainly been a lot of well priced watches to keep me buying at an unprecedented rate this year!

So I feel it's more a case of the viewer and their/your requirements might not be being met by the current items for sale, or expectation on price.

Also with noting, this time of year leading up to Christmas is slower than summer, but not a lot.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    That Navitimer may take a while now the previous seller has let everyone know it’s gone up £350 in the last 12 months.

The economy is not good (!).
    This. And maybe the time of year, too. Dare I mention the C word?

Depressed market and opinionated members doesn't always make for a positive sales post. Some posts deserve the criticism expressed which makes SC wonderfully transparent. Others get abused because of past demeanours which isn't always justified.

Forum darlings which generally fair well, but fringe manufacturers generally struggle in my experience.

Journeyman
    With rolex rumoured to pump up the prices by 10% come November , I wonder whether the SC prices will start reflecting that too. Any one know if there are any other Swiss brands that are going to pump up their prices too?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Are sales on SC rather sluggish?

Well, your Bulova Stars & Stripes sold pretty quickly, Peter

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know my comments won't win me some fans but oh well...

Never understood the fascination with sales corner myself, when I finally got access whenever ago that was, mostly just tat all over the place. As for the rest, can't say I've ever seen anything that pulled my attention and it has certainly never been a first port of call when in the market. TBH, don't think it has ever been a consideration.

Can't say I've ever found the atmosphere around that section of the forum too appealing either. As people have already said above, lots of incessant whingeing normally ensues for some reason or another, and who can be arsed with it?

But one thing that really winds me up are all these personal rules and viewpoints some people insist on imposing upon others in terms of price and commentary they feel entitled to make (usually owing to being armchair experts).

You think the price is too high?
    So?
    Let it stay unsold if it really is. Who is anyone to tell anyone anything when it comes to a person wanting to sell their own property?
    It's up to the seller to set a price, even if they are way off-base. The End.

Also, people on here seem to just want everything on the cheap or not at all. Is there anything more thinly veiled and self-serving as quoting "community spirit" as reason to pay less? Just because a microscopic portion of the watch buying public occupy this forum, does not make their pricing demands the real-world standard, or accurate reflection of what many people may actually be prepared to pay if advertised in different places.

Somehow a couple years back, out in the real world, I actually bumped into a member of this forum by chance and mentioned I might be selling a watch (Skyfall Aqua Terra). He asked what I would ask for it, and he proceeded to say that he wouldn't pay any more than £1800 on a watch that a dealer would sell pre-owned at the time for close to £3k, and I think £2.5k would have been fair middle ground privately.
    He scoffed at my price and said he'd be looking to "give it a try" which is why he would only pay his desired price, and that it's good to "pass pieces around the community", and this coming from a braggard over his supposed watch collection of far more expensive pieces. Not to to say anything of this particular Aqua Terra being rather popular (not least of all to Bond collectors), produced for a short period, and in genuinely (OCD suitable) immaculate condition.
    Maybe I let it wind me up too much, but I really found it an utterly stupid suggestion that I should sell something for less than it's actual worth to keep a bunch of strangers on the internet sweet, essentially offering up such a nice piece to become some battered forum whore of a watch. Erm, no.

I came to eventually post it on here last year, just to see what would happen, and yep, more people came out the woodwork to say: "I'm only looking to pay this". Think the best offer I had was £1900. Well go buy one for that money then if it's that easy.

That said, being an avid eBayer, I understand low-balling and you never know what great deals can be had if you don't chance a cheeky offer, but it gets real tiresome on here when people get irate when someone says they are looking to "get back what it owes me" or god forbid, actually make a profit. If the buyer and seller are both happy, who cares?

I gave up on the cheapskates on here and sold it privately for £2.6k. But hey, I guess the experts telling me I was pricing it too high knew best eh?

To answer the OP's question: essentially a very small pool of buyers, many of whom want champagne at lemonade prices.

S C is just like any community you have good and bad ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post

Nothing risky about the SC.A honest description with good pictures and a realistic price is all that is required. Its not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Handbags are slow.
    If the MK one is anything to go by, I agree.
    Last edited by -Ally-; 21st October 2017 at 21:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    I know my comments won't win me some fans but oh well...

Never understood the fascination with sales corner myself, when I finally got access whenever ago that was, mostly just tat all over the place. As for the rest, can't say I've ever seen anything that pulled my attention and it has certainly never been a first port of call when in the market. TBH, don't think it has ever been a consideration.

Can't say I've ever found the atmosphere around that section of the forum too appealing either. As people have already said above, lots of incessant whingeing normally ensues for some reason or another, and who can be arsed with it?

But one thing that really winds me up are all these personal rules and viewpoints some people insist on imposing upon others in terms of price and commentary they feel entitled to make (usually owing to being armchair experts).

So?
    Let it stay unsold if it really is. Who is anyone to tell anyone anything when it comes to a person wanting to sell their own property?

Also, people on here seem to just want everything on the cheap or not at all. Is there anything more thinly veiled and self-serving as quoting "community spirit" as reason to pay less? Just because a microscopic portion of the watch buying public occupy this forum, does not make their pricing demands the real-world standard, or accurate reflection of what many people may actually be prepared to pay if advertised in different places.

Somehow a couple years back, out in the real world, I actually bumped into a member of this forum by chance and mentioned I might be selling a watch (Skyfall Aqua Terra). He asked what I would ask for it, and he proceeded to say that he wouldn't pay any more than £1800 on a watch that a dealer would sell pre-owned at the time for close to £3k, and I think £2.5k would have been fair middle ground privately.
    He scoffed at my price and said he'd be looking to "give it a try" which is why he would only pay his desired price, and that it's good to "pass pieces around the community", and this coming from a braggard over his supposed watch collection of far more expensive pieces. Not to to say anything of this particular Aqua Terra being rather popular (not least of all to Bond collectors), produced for a short period, and in genuinely (OCD suitable) immaculate condition.
    Maybe I let it wind me up too much, but I really found it an utterly stupid suggestion that I should sell something for less than it's actual worth to keep a bunch of strangers on the internet sweet, essentially offering up such a nice piece to become some battered forum whore of a watch. Erm, no.

I came to eventually post it on here last year, just to see what would happen, and yep, more people came out the woodwork to say: "I'm only looking to pay this". Think the best offer I had was £1900. Well go buy one for that money then if it's that easy.

That said, being an avid eBayer, I understand low-balling and you never know what great deals can be had if you don't chance a cheeky offer, but it gets real tiresome on here when people get irate when someone says they are looking to "get back what it owes me" or god forbid, actually make a profit. If the buyer and seller are both happy, who cares?

I gave up on the cheapskates on here and sold it privately for £2.6k. But hey, I guess the experts telling me I was pricing it too high knew best eh?

To answer the OP's question: essentially a very small pool of buyers, many of whom want champagne at lemonade prices.
    Brave post, but a lot of truth in there.

Master

Depends!!

If I’m in the market a WTB at very least leads me in the direction of a possible lead, usually a WTB leads me to a direct purchase!
    SC is great for absolutely top notch pristine full package examples with FSH and blemish free but anything else carries much scrutiny and analysis, which means it takes ages to sell or it sells at a huge loss! Don’t get me wrong I love a perfect example of any watch but I don’t always like the price that comes with it and if all it takes is a service and a little polish to get it perfect again whilst I save a fortune so be it!!!

Not sure if SC is slow? I think SC is slow for anything non rare, not complete or not a bargain!!
    There are a lot more places to sell and buy than TZ SC though?!?!

Must admit if I’m looking for a simple specific watch then I ask about until it’s located rather than finding what I want on SC??
    Still think SC is another great place to swap, exchange and sell items in a slightly safer environment which is sometimes worth paying a little more for !!!

Chris

Master

FairPlay!!

[
    I can see where your coming from and I can also see why sometimes forums for anything can be a little blinkered when it’s magnified in such a way!
    Most people I know don’t lust over watches like I do so they look at the list price and work their way back from there?!?!
    I think you will find many watches have been sold elsewhere due to the possible scrutiny that the vendor feels they may receive in such an intense environment for that specific interest!! Whether that’s a watch on a watch forum or a car on a car forum it’s all relative!!

The problem I notice on all forums is everyone’s a specialist and remembers the good old days when things were cheap������

Chris

———————————————————————-

QUOTE=Dent99;4535684]I know my comments won't win me some fans but oh well...

So?

To answer the OP's question: essentially a very small pool of buyers, many of whom want champagne at lemonade prices.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by subchris; 21st October 2017 at 22:17.

Craftsman
    It's still a great place to buy and sell, especially for vintage where ebay can be a minefield (despite recent busybody activity).

I inadvertently listed a watch at the same price as new version that was available on discount - a kindly member sent me a PM letting me know and I adjusted the price. Sold the watch a day later. All that is required is a tiny bit of respect and the problems can be solved without trashing a sales thread.

Blog Entries
    Depends what you sell and the price I suppose. My Omega sold in about an hour today.

Generally speaking if the price is right it will sell quick.

One thing I would say is the lack of diversity over the last few years. A few years back I bought and sold lots of different brands from Blancpain, Zenith, Tudor, Breitling, Moser, Panerai, Bremont etc. Lately anything outside Rolex or Patek can be hard to shift and there’s less unusual pieces on offer. That could be externally driven with the Rolex sports market going bonkers lately for example.

We have to remember that in the scale of things it’s a small group of us.

Doesn't seem slow to me, all the watches I've an interest in have sold within the hour!