closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Cat D car?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if properly repaired

29 37.18%
  • No, you must be mad!

49 62.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question: Would you buy a Cat D car?

I'd have no problem buying a cat D.. I'd make a silly offer.

Just keep it and run it into the ground it's very very economical motoring even when buying high end cars.

Master

Arrow

It's interesting reading people say "no way, why risk family" for cat D.

It seems to carry a bad stigma to some but I think that may be just down to ignorance on the subject.

We're essentially talking about a system here that relates repair cost to vehicle value. Unless bought new people who would never risk a write off may well be driving around in a repaired car that would have been written off if it'd had a lower value to repair ratio.

Mr A might have a £40k Range Rover and be part of an accident. Ins company repair it at a cost of £8k after it breaks a lower wishbone, drop link, alloy and has a bumper scrape.

Mr B has a £15k Range Rover and has the same accident and the ins company put it cat D as its uneconomical to repair.

Both these vehicles get sold on and one buyer may never know of their vehicles past, the other knows what had happened. The new owner of the higher value range may well be saying "no way would I even go in that thing" to his mate who bought the cat D one, little does he know he's essentially doing the same thing.

I've been in the motor trade many years and been involved in buying and selling from and to the trade, seen many a nasty repair on HPI clear cars.

My advice would be to have it inspected. If you're ok with cat D and it's been repaired correctly there's no reason to discount it just because of the stigma associated.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    It's interesting reading people say "no way, why risk family" for cat D.

It seems to carry a bad stigma to some but I think that may be just down to ignorance on the subject.

We're essentially talking about a system here that relates repair cost to vehicle value. Unless bought new people who would never risk a write off may well be driving around in a repaired car that would have been written off if it'd had a lower value to repair ratio.

Mr A might have a £40k Range Rover and be part of an accident. Ins company repair it at a cost of £8k after it breaks a lower wishbone, drop link, alloy and has a bumper scrape.

Mr B has a £15k Range Rover and has the same accident and the ins company put it cat D as its uneconomical to repair.

Both these vehicles get sold on and one buyer may never know of their vehicles past, the other knows what had happened. The new owner of the higher value range may well be saying "no way would I even go in that thing" to his mate who bought the cat D one, little does he know he's essentially doing the same thing.

I've been in the motor trade many years and been involved in buying and selling from and to the trade, seen many a nasty repair on HPI clear cars.

My advice would be to have it inspected. If you're ok with cat D and it's been repaired correctly there's no reason to discount it just because of the stigma associated.
    A difference could be that Mr As car gets repaired by/for the insurers whereas Mr Bs car gets repaired on the cheap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    A difference could be that Mr As car gets repaired by/for the insurers whereas Mr Bs car gets repaired on the cheap.
    Indeed, I understand your point but you're relying on the end repairer doing the best job they should. Most 'insurance approved repairers' are just the places anyone uses for their repair work privately. It could be that joe bloggs may do a more careful repair on his driveway.

Still think the best thing to do is get an inspection carried out regardless of 'clean' or cat D.

Discounting a car because it's cat D may be as silly as buying a car just because it's HPI clear.

Master
    I had a car repaired by more than a few years ago after an accident and it looked like the pg tips chimps had done it
    then had a focus repaired by prudential and couldn't tell it had been done, so there is good and awfull in the insurance repair buisness as well as done up cat d cars

The couple of Cat cars I've had have all been fine 3+ years later.

I always like to try and get pictures/info on the accident for some peace of mind, if they seem hesitant or refuse ... dodge it!

Haven't had to use these folks https://www.autolign.co.uk for some time , but, they provide a useful service.