closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moonphase - affordability

Master

Moonphase - affordability

After a recent post from myself in respect of a jaeger lecoultre master ultra thin moon 39 it sparked a conversation with my son in respect of this style of watch and his desire to make a purchase.

So my question is what can you buy that is of a reasonable/good quality, on leather, SS with a moonphase (white or black face) for the maximum sum of £1000? Is it possible?

If so, would you lovely people let me have your thoughts and hopefully pictures.

Thanks
    Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    After a recent post from myself in respect of a jaeger lecoultre master ultra thin moon 39 it sparked a conversation with my son in respect of this style of watch and his desire to make a purchase.

So my question is what can you buy that is of a reasonable/good quality, on leather, SS with a moonphase (white or black face) for the maximum sum of £1000? Is it possible?

If so, would you lovely people let me have your thoughts and hopefully pictures.

Thanks
    Fred

I am not an expert on this type of watch but I believe at that price point that many are not true moonphases.

This new Orient is (Although why it has that open heart)

Craftsman

Moonphase - affordability

Frederique Constant have moonphases in that price range I believe.

http://www.watchnation.com/product/f...BoCmjAQAvD_BwE

Slightly over the £1000 limit but they’re usually even less if you buy pre-owned!

Master
    Christopher Ward do one I believe. Not sure on price, but probably comes in under budget when on sale??

Master
    I typed in Moonphase into Chrono 24 search engine and got 1900 of the beauties appear. Maurice Lacroix and Frederique Constant make up a fair proportion under a £1k.
    However here are two images of ones that caught my eye. An 80’s Tissot Manual and a 90’s Eberhard Auto - two proper makes if you know what I mean.

Blog Entries
    Check out Louis Erard. OEMed by Zeno, I think, and good quality. Their triple date moon phase models in the 1931 collection use the Dubois Dépraz 9000 module (on top of ETA 2892-A2). Baume & Mercier use the same module in their triple date moon phases. Works well and good looking watches in my opinion. Their RRPs are over £1000 now but you should be able to obtain one for less than that.

I cannot recommend any particular place to buy. They have some actual bricks and mortar ADs in the UK (check the website, link below) but you might well get a better deal by buying online.

Louis Erard's site is here, http://montres-louiserard.ch, and here is one of their triple date moon phase models: http://montres-louiserard.ch/en/watches/31218aa15

I note that they also have watches with the Valjoux 7751 (triple date, moon phase and chrono) in the Excellence collection. Look nice in my opinion. For example: http://montres-louiserard.ch/en/watches/80231aa01

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I like that Tissot.

Just when you think you've seen everything... You lay eyes on that crown. Wow...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Check out Louis Erard. OEMed by Zeno, I think, and good quality. Their triple date moon phase models in the 1931 collection use the Dubois Dépraz 9000 module (on top of ETA 2892-A2). Baume & Mercier use the same module in their triple date moon phases. Works well and good looking watches in my opinion. Their RRPs are over £1000 now but you should be able to obtain one for less than that.

I cannot recommend any particular place to buy. They have some actual bricks and mortar ADs in the UK (check the website, link below) but you might well get a better deal by buying online.

Louis Erard's site is here, http://montres-louiserard.ch, and here is one of their triple date moon phase models: http://montres-louiserard.ch/en/watches/31218aa15

I note that they also have watches with the Valjoux 7751 (triple date, moon phase and chrono) in the Excellence collection. Look nice in my opinion. For example: http://montres-louiserard.ch/en/watches/80231aa01
    Those are very nice. Don’t know much about them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    Frederique Constant have moonphases in that price range I believe.

http://www.watchnation.com/product/f...BoCmjAQAvD_BwE

Slightly over the £1000 limit but they’re usually even less if you buy pre-owned!

I think he likes it simple, markers not numbers and the moonphase. A great price on that piece though

Master
    I typed in Moonphase into Chrono 24 search engine and got 1900 of the beauties appear. Maurice Lacroix and Frederique Constant make up a fair proportion under a £1k.
    However here are two images of ones that caught my eye. An 80’s Tissot Manual and a 90’s Eberhard Auto - two proper makes if you know what I mean.

Yeah those are nice. I managed to get a friend off mine a lovely piece for half price in the sale.

£1500 slightly more but classy and simple. In my opinion worth the extra

Master
    Keep them coming please

Master
    My Ball moonphase was secondhand and under £1000, it's fabulous and has the most amazing line of any watch I've ever seen. To see the moon and stars illuminated is fantastic. Great watch too, will get some pics when I'm back home.

Master
    Look forward to them

Blog Entries
    Those are very nice. Don’t know much about them.
    They are not well known but are well made. Time Factors also used to use Zeno as an OEM.

If one of their ADs is near you then it might be worth going to see what they have (and to negotiate a whopping discount).

Craftsman
    Glyince have an automatic moonphase that was on Massdrop for $400 recently, and is still frequently available for that much from two eBay sellers (same person IIRC) when you make an offer I believe. Pretty handsome watch.

Grey version is quite tasty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Glyince have an automatic moonphase that was on Massdrop for $400 recently, and is still frequently available for that much from two eBay sellers (same person IIRC) when you make an offer I believe. Pretty handsome watch.

Grey version is quite tasty.

Thanks. Can you send me the link when you have a moment. Ta

Master
    Yeah those are nice. I managed to get a friend off mine a lovely piece for half price in the sale.

That's well worth saving up the extra for. Stunning

Craftsman
    Thanks. Can you send me the link when you have a moment. Ta

Massdrop (not currently active) link:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/glycine...utomatic-watch

eBay link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glycine-Me...-/332318851400

There are a few other colours available I believe. Make sure to make an offer rather than buy it now!

eBay link:

There are a few other colours available I believe. Make sure to make an offer rather than buy it now!

Well thank you very much, I've had a few drinks and ended up ordering one of these from ebay! They accepted an offer of $389.99, but with the annoying global shipping program the total ended up being $517.47 (or £393 thereabouts), but this includes prepaying the VAT etc, so no surprises upon delivery. Looking forward to it arriving though, my first moonphase :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychomech View Post
    Well thank you very much, I've had a few drinks and ended up ordering one of these from ebay! They accepted an offer of $389.99, but with the annoying global shipping program the total ended up being $517.47 (or £393 thereabouts), but this includes prepaying the VAT etc, so no surprises upon delivery. Looking forward to it arriving though, my first moonphase :)
    Great to hear! Make sure to post pics. I imagine you went with the grey one? I was thinking of getting one myself, but I already have a couple of Glycines and should not be spending any more :{

Master

Stunning!! If they have any more at that price please give me a shout

Great to hear! Make sure to post pics. I imagine you went with the grey one? I was thinking of getting one myself, but I already have a couple of Glycines and should not be spending any more :{
    Yep, grey it is, or anthracite as I now prefer :) The white was also tempting, but I have white, blue and black faced watches, so the gr...Anthracite! one ticks another box. It is also the best looking IMO.

Master
    Sorry I feel I take some responsibility here also seeing as I asked for it!!!

Master

eBay link:

Much appreciated

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    Stunning!! If they have any more at that price please give me a shout
    I couldn’t believe it myself. 50% off and as I say should have brought it for myself

I wanted a moonphase, but knew I wouldn't wear it often enough to keep an automatic running and would probably find resetting a moonphase frustrating.

So, I bought a Certina DS-8 .

High accuracy quartz (similar to that used in some Breitling quartz watches) and about £500-600 depending on colour.

It's always right, which is perfect for a Moonphase.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 23rd October 2017 at 09:45.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Sorry I feel I take some responsibility here also seeing as I asked for it!!!

So you should! You now owe me 400 quid ;) I was already considering a moonphase anyway, albeit a cheaper one. I was quite tempted by this seagull powered moonphase chronograph (as I was also in the mood for a column wheel chronograph) from ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182796334466 . But I prefer the styling of the Glycine, so no need to feel TOO bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Christopher Ward do one I believe. Not sure on price, but probably comes in under budget when on sale??
    This. The Christopher Ward one is stunning as it has a really large moon. I really regret not picking one up when it was in the sale.

erm.. so what exactly is a TRUE moonphase as opposed to a False (?) one then ?

Master
    That MontBlanc isn't dissimilar in looks to a JLC Master Moon. Now I don't want a MontBlanc watch at rrp but for 50% it's worth it since it would lose that the minute I buy it.

Master
    So you should! You now owe me 400 quid ;) I was already considering a moonphase anyway, albeit a cheaper one. I was quite tempted by this seagull powered moonphase chronograph (as I was also in the mood for a column wheel chronograph) from ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182796334466 . But I prefer the styling of the Glycine, so no need to feel TOO bad.
    I will consider myself forgiven

Bought about four years ago for £400, I think they're about £8-900 now.
    I don't usually like coin edge or cathedral hands but this just took my fancy.
    They are a pain to set up so I just wear it when the moon is right.

Sent using my finger and the TZ-UK app
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    This. The Christopher Ward one is stunning as it has a really large moon. I really regret not picking one up when it was in the sale.
    That is one gorgeous watch and may sneak in at £1000 or so if they have a black Friday sale again this year.

A better pic.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luddite View Post
    A better pic.

What’s the model number? On that one fella ?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    erm.. so what exactly is a TRUE moonphase as opposed to a False (?) one then ?

A full phase of the moon takes 29.5 days (specifically 29 days, 12 hours and 44 minutes, or 29.53 days) - thus a true moon phase watch will begin it's cycle again after 29.5 days - a 'false' moonphase will typically be linked to the 31 day calendar function and so will quickly become out of phase with the actual moon....

This is a bit different- my Eberhard Mareoscope, bought from SC a few weeks ago within budget, doesn't have a rotating moon disc but a hand that travels one revolution every 29.5 days, registering against fixed moon phase symbols.
    The disc that could I suppose have been used as a moonphase symbol is configured to give a state-of-tide indication. See right hand subdial.
    There is a quickset facility for the tide function, but unless anyone can tell me different to set the moonphase hand requires up to 29.5 days'worth of crown turning!

Apprentice
    At the cheaper end of the scale, I have an Ingersoll IN8400SL Pawnee (though I believe they are discontinued so may be harder to find):

Master
    That is nice thought. What does it run like

What’s the model number? On that one fella ?

Sorry for the delay, hope this helps...

And upside down with hopefully the model number...

Master
    I’ve recently found myself wanting a moon phase and almost bought a speedy but then I thought why what’s the point and, what is the point of one it’s just another “thing” to have I guess and I’d never wear it enough so would be always setting it yet, I still might end up with one I feel

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspode View Post
    A full phase of the moon takes 29.5 days (specifically 29 days, 12 hours and 44 minutes, or 29.53 days) - thus a true moon phase watch will begin it's cycle again after 29.5 days - a 'false' moonphase will typically be linked to the 31 day calendar function and so will quickly become out of phase with the actual moon....

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspode View Post
    Given that a watch is now just a piece of jewelry, not a scientific instrument, I can live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I’ve recently found myself wanting a moon phase and almost bought a speedy but then I thought why what’s the point and, what is the point of one it’s just another “thing” to have I guess and I’d never wear it enough so would be always setting it yet, I still might end up with one I feel
    I tend to agree.

The easiest way of judging the moon's phase is to look at the moon is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I tend to agree.

The easiest way of judging the moon's phase is to look at the moon is it not?
    Nope, check out the Met Office.

The moon phase for seven days right there, anywhere in the world.

Right there on your phone.

Master

Had one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    Just when you think you've seen everything... You lay eyes on that crown. Wow...

I had one of these Eberhard autos and the build quality was fantastic!! Even that crown is pretty nice in person!!

The only is with them is they have little screws that hold the caseback on and two of my had been snapped off which no one wanted to touch to repair?!?!?
    Other than the fragile miniature screws the rest held up well and cost me a fair bit from memory so if they can be had for £1000 I’d be al over it !!!!
    Also on the plus side I never ever saw anyone else with one??!!!

Chris

That oris is lovely. Really like the bezel design

Quote Originally Posted by luddite View Post
    Nope, check out the Met Office.

The moon phase for seven days right there, anywhere in the world.

Right there on your phone.
    Ah!
    What number do I dial?