closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hotel recommendations in Durham please!

Blog Entries

Hotel recommendations in Durham please!

As the title really, we'd be interested to hear any experiences of nice hotels in Durham. Price not as important, looking for good food, service and amenities in general.

Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County was mentioned by a friend but open to suggestions/views from personal experiences.

Thanks
    Ian

Master
    Another plus for Marriott,very handily situated.The breakfast was too expensive so we walked to a local coffee place in town.

Take a look at The Town House. Next door to the Dun Cow, 5 mins from the Cathedral ( not that Durham's big), Zen restaurant and Court Inn round the corner for two food options. http://www.townhousedurham.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItY6AjdD81gIVF-MbCh1VWAzDEAAYAiAAEgIVOvD_BwE

For lunch/afternoon tea Vennels is really top quality, also the Undercroft in the Cathedral gets good reports, but could be busy. There's a new hotel opening shortly on Old Elvet, Hotel Indigo, a £15m conversion of the Old Shire Hall, which will have a Marco Pierre White restaurant inside. Under 10 mins in a taxi the Rib Room at the Ramside Hall Hotel has a good reputation. There's also a Lebanese restaurant, numerous Italians for all budgets, and the Spice Lounge and the Capital are two very good Indians, again all a short walk away.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Ramside Hall (Golf&Spa) is nice if you don’t mind a short taxi ride into the city centre. If you want to be in the centre / on the river I’d recommend the Radisson Blu.

Master
    +1 for the Marriott ( but then that's my usual)

Don't go for the presidential suite but ask for an executive suite with view over the river.

Easy reach of most places in the town

B

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Ramside Hall (Golf&Spa) is nice if you don’t mind a short taxi ride into the city centre. If you want to be in the centre / on the river I’d recommend the Radisson Blu.
    Highly reccomend the Ramside hotel, my wife and I have been going there for the past 15 years.

The steak-house within the hotel is one of the best around.

Durham is a nice ''day out'' but I'd seriously consider basing yourselves in Newcastle, as that puts Durham and Alnwick in your playground so to speak, Durham is pretty I'll grant you, but as a base for a few days
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    City centre - Marriott.
    Short taxi ride in - Ramside hall, rooms are brilliant and the steak house is top notch, the chateaubriand is one of the best I have tried. Yet to have a bad meal there!

Out the two I would choose Ramside, its only 3 miles/10 mins from the centre and will no doubt be cheaper than the Marriott.

Master
    Another vote for Ramside, I’ve been there a few times on work related business but always enjoyed my time there.

We stayed in the Premier Inn, the new one located in the Walkergate area 10 minute walk from Train Station and close to city centre

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hot...ty-centre.html

I know not everyones cup of tea but it does what it says….. again not everyone's COT but close to the new Wetherspoons The Bishops Mill , which was ideal for a good value breakfast and next to the outside Champagne Bar !!

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/a...ps-mill-durham

http://ebonychampagnebar.co.uk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    We stayed in the Premier Inn, the new one located in the Walkergate area 10 minute walk from Train Station and close to city centre

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hot...ty-centre.html

I know not everyones cup of tea but it does what it says….. again not everyone's COT but close to the new Wetherspoons The Bishops Mill , which was ideal for a good value breakfast and next to the outside Champagne Bar !!

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/a...ps-mill-durham

http://ebonychampagnebar.co.uk
    Have used Premier Inns before and they are good value.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Take a look at The Town House. Next door to the Dun Cow, 5 mins from the Cathedral ( not that Durham's big), Zen restaurant and Court Inn round the corner for two food options. http://www.townhousedurham.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItY6AjdD81gIVF-MbCh1VWAzDEAAYAiAAEgIVOvD_BwE

For lunch/afternoon tea Vennels is really top quality, also the Undercroft in the Cathedral gets good reports, but could be busy. There's a new hotel opening shortly on Old Elvet, Hotel Indigo, a £15m conversion of the Old Shire Hall, which will have a Marco Pierre White restaurant inside. Under 10 mins in a taxi the Rib Room at the Ramside Hall Hotel has a good reputation. There's also a Lebanese restaurant, numerous Italians for all budgets, and the Spice Lounge and the Capital are two very good Indians, again all a short walk away.
    Looks like a really nice place, menus good as well. Might check it out while we're there. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Highly reccomend the Ramside hotel, my wife and I have been going there for the past 15 years.

The steak-house within the hotel is one of the best around.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    Another vote for Ramside, I’ve been there a few times on work related business but always enjoyed my time there.
    Did consider this one tbh. I think if we were taking the car it might be the one. However would be nice to walk back to the hotel after sampling some of the local beer and a tonic water for the missus ()

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.f View Post
    Another plus for Marriott,very handily situated.The breakfast was too expensive so we walked to a local coffee place in town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    +1 for the Marriott ( but then that's my usual)

Don't go for the presidential suite but ask for an executive suite with view over the river.

Easy reach of most places in the town

B
    Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    City centre - Marriott.
    Short taxi ride in - Ramside hall, rooms are brilliant and the steak house is top notch, the chateaubriand is one of the best I have tried. Yet to have a bad meal there!

Out the two I would choose Ramside, its only 3 miles/10 mins from the centre and will no doubt be cheaper than the Marriott.
    Reckon the Marriott is most likely for us. Glad to hear some good reports for it. It's a treat so will just have to go with the breakfast (just means the missus will have to settle for cornflakes!!)
    I think being in the centre will be an advantage for having a wander around and we can always venture further if we want to. Good advice about the river view, will check that out. Need to advance book the train tickets in about a month when they come online first though.

Thanks for all the advice people, if I haven't mentioned your post it was still appreciated and the information helpful.
    Ian

Sounds like you've made your choice but we had a weeks break at the Radisson Blu last year and couldn't fault it. Down on the river it's pretty centrally situated and it's very comfortable with a good restaurant as you'd expect. The only negative as such is it's a bit samey like all the big players tend to be but as we were out and about every day it didn't make any difference to our enjoyment. One good point was that it had a big enough car park that when we returned each evening we weren't searching for spaces, not that it would make any difference to your stay!

We stayed at the Premier Inn in the centre of Durham. Nice hotel and very nice all you can eat breakfast. The hotel is next to several restaurants (Ask Italian, Fat Budda and Chiquito), also there is the Champagne Bar :)
    You park in the multi-storie car park (Watergate) and get a special hotel rate of around £7 per 24hrs
    Last edited by odyseus10; 20th October 2017 at 18:34.

Blog Entries
    So hotel looks good.
    Just had couple of beers in the Half Moon Inn!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    So hotel looks good.
    How much did you pay for a pint then ??? My son say keeps saying it's it's a lot cheap than the £4.50 - £5.00 we have to pay way down here :( :(

So hotel looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    How much did you pay for a pint then ??? My son say keeps saying it's it's a lot cheap than the £4.50 - £5.00 we have to pay way down here :( :(

The Draught Bass is £2.80 in the Half Moon, walk across town to the Colpitts and the Sam Smith's Old Brewery Bitter is £2.00. That's pints mind . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The Draught Bass is £2.80 in the Half Moon, walk across town to the Colpitts and the Sam Smith's Old Brewery Bitter is £2.00. That's pints mind . . .
    Yep, that pretty much agrees with what my son says. Makes you wonder why there's such a price difference in the "South". But as I said earlier, I found people generally a lot more friendly when visiting in and around York and Durham, so good for them if their drink is cheap :) :)

Master
    I must have been drinking in the wrong pubs in Durham as I’ve not had a sub £3 pint for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    I must have been drinking in the wrong pubs in Durham as I’ve not had a sub £3 pint for years.
    Ye can drink for less than that in the Toon if ye naar wer tiv gan hinny.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Pubs were cheaper than the hotel. Large glass of wine £11!

Master
    Pubs were cheaper than the hotel. Large glass of wine £11!
    hotel owner must have seen you pull up in your new Jaguar Ian !.he would have thought"theres a man of means,he will be insulted if i dont stiff him" .
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 3rd May 2018 at 06:39. Reason: sspelin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hotel owner must have seen you pull up in your new Jaguar Ian !.he would have thought"theres a man of means,he will be insulted if i dont stiff him" .
    There goes my post office savings.
    Mr Fawlty seems a nice chap though.

BTW we really liked it in the Ebony Champagne Bar - Walkergate
    They have an extension bar, a bit like a greenhouse ??? (The missus really liked it, but then she was on the Champagne, as I hate the stuff).