closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: VINDICATION

VINDICATION

I am extremely happy to say that I have at last been proved right concerning the black finish on Depollier "Waterproof and Dustproof" watches from the end of WW1.
    In several threads across three or four sites (where I was banned because of my arguing, and lobbying by certain members. Yes, mean YOU Stan and Adam!) it had been argued that the original finish was painted black, and not "oxydized" as stated in adverts and military specs from the time.
    I had always maintained the the finish was oxidised, and even gave proof with books and booklets/magazines from the 1900's up to the 1920's that showed how it was done.

My vindication comes in the form of a collector who bought a lot of watches and cases from an ex-military watch repair man 25 years ago.
    A link to the thread and a quote of part of it. You can also see the pictures of the almost untouched cases and the finishAs can be seen from the photos of the untouched watches, they are all with their original OXIDISED finish.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...-Proof-Watches

My Depollier quest began when my prized watchmaker bought an antique military watch repair kit in its original military box about 25 years ago. The box was purchased from the estate of a watch repairman, who was at one time repairing watches in the US military. Inside the organized box were numerous Depollier Waterproof cases with their patented crowns intact. There were also spare Elgin and Waltham movements, enamel dials, hands, as well as a few watch straps and buckles.
    It has taken years to restore all four watches I own. What made my project possible was the help of Stan's exacting research.
    In the link below I was accused of lying about when I found a certain advert, for which I give proof at the bottom of the post.
    I was told by Stan that my challenge about the black cased Depollier was "baseless".

VWF: http://vintagewatchforums.com/viewto...p=55393#p55393

In the WUS link there are many different articles and links that prove me right.

WUS: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/elg...l#post15122170

WTF: http://www.watchtalkforums.info/foru...ml#post1002121

In the NAWCC link below, a SINGLE watch case was sent to experts for spectro testing, and because it was painted black (something I believe and have said many times was done at a later date) it was believed they were ALL painted! :roll:

NAWCC: https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/depolli...esults.125115/

A 1921 booklet that proves the military used a "Black Nickel" oxidised finish in WW1 on military hardware: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...view=1up;seq=1

So a big thanks to Seth at MWR and to my supporters in the other threads, and a big raspberry to my denigrators.

Thanks.

A reply that proves the date I found this advert, after accusations of lying about it.

Last edited by bobbee; 21st August 2018 at 19:53. Reason: added picture

Master
    Out of the 5 links in your post, only the Watchtalk one works.

Master
    I think those were painted mate.

Wow.. time to move on i think..

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Out of the 5 links in your post, only the Watchtalk one works.

Sorry, now sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    Wow.. time to move on i think..

That's okay, you won't be missed!

Er, well done, I think.
    "A man of little significance"

Nobody can fault you for lack of passion . I agree that the MWR piece was a very good read (and you should fix the link to it).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I enjoyed the MWR post as well this morning. I've read about the Depollier cases before and thought that was quite a find. I'm glad it had so much personal benefit to you OP.

I'm sure I read somewhere they were painted

You would argue about the colour of poop.

Well done (I think) was it really worth all the effort etc?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    You would argue about the colour of poop.
    You shouldn't be here Captain Howdy, you have been banned several times under more than one name. Go troll someone else.
    Last edited by bobbee; 20th October 2017 at 11:33. Reason: additional/tidying up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Well done (I think) was it really worth all the effort etc?

A lot of the posts were deleted by mods, and if you had been accused of lying and called so many names by supposed experts, what would you have done?
    I stuck to my guns because I believed I was right about something, even after being threatened by one, and denigrated by others, and eventually banned in some cases, I was eventually proved right.

I think it was worth it in the end.