closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where to buy pre-owned watches in Ireland

Journeyman

Where to buy pre-owned watches in Ireland

Hi,

Looking for advice here - I am based in Ireland and am looking to buy a pre-owned Rolex. I cannot buy new as the model I am looking at is discontinued.

I have visited a few different jewellers but there are not many (hardly any) reviews out there and I would not feel comfortable committing to a large purchase without doing my homework, which is why I am posting this.

Does anyone have experience of buying a pre-owned luxury watch in Ireland?

Thanks in advance

If worried, stick with used from a reputable (A)D. Weirs, Lunns, Keanes, etc.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nick1 View Post
    Hi,

Looking for advice here - I am based in Ireland and am looking to buy a pre-owned Rolex. I cannot buy new as the model I am looking at is discontinued.

I have visited a few different jewellers but there are not many (hardly any) reviews out there and I would not feel comfortable committing to a large purchase without doing my homework, which is why I am posting this.

Does anyone have experience of buying a pre-owned luxury watch in Ireland?

Thanks in advance

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    If worried, stick with used from a reputable (A)D. Weirs, Lunns, Keanes, etc.

Good luck!
    Thank you for the advice.

It's not so much that I am worried, I just want to learn a little more about the market I suppose :)

Dawson Jewellers has a nice selection of watches, and Breretons on Grafton St have a small selection. Can check their sites. Never purchased from them myself.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Adverts.ie. fakes generally flushed out pretty quickly.

A few trusted sellers.

What watch are you after?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    Adverts.ie. fakes generally flushed out pretty quickly.

A few trusted sellers.

What watch are you after?
    Wouldn't have thought adverts.ie was good for buying luxury watches! Will check it out, thanks.

I am after a 14060 or 14060m Submariner

Craftsman
    The Powerscourt Centre has a few that are good for vintage (Kish jewellers also has something a bit different), but if you're seriously considering a pre-owned Rolex I'd take a day trip to London. You'll have much better selection, and even with the cost of a flight it will probably be less expensive then any that I've seen in Dublin.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    The Powerscourt Centre has a few that are good for vintage (Kish jewellers also has something a bit different), but if you're seriously considering a pre-owned Rolex I'd take a day trip to London. You'll have much better selection, and even with the cost of a flight it will probably be less expensive then any that I've seen in Dublin.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    This is something I have thought about too. Where would you go in London? Watchfinder?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nick1 View Post
    This is something I have thought about too. Where would you go in London? Watchfinder?
    Watchfinder, WatchCentre, WatchClub are all reputable dealers who have a consistent inventory of most models. Around Hatton Garden you'll see windows filled with new and vintage, and of course there are lots of trusted dealers who contribute to the forum.

Master
    Jump on the train and head north. McNeillys in Lombard Street in Belfast usually has a good selection of pre owned stuff. The watch guy seems knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Will take a look at all dealers mentioned here!

I'm pretty sure Deep Thought on this forum is Dublin based, so he might have some ideas.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1175

For sale thread in this forum also.

Most of the members on that forum would also be members here.

Journeyman
    Thanks again for the advice!

Craftsman
    To be honest, you are wasting your time for decent second hand Rolex in Dublin.

There are some dealers in Dublin like Dawson Jewellers, but from what I have seen value and condition wise they are not good. Most of watches have been over polished with a lot of the finer edge detail dulled. Also the dealers are a bit cagey about the watches age, I asked one jeweller what serial number was it and they did not answer and fobbed me off with a bs answer.

The price differential that I saw at the time for a unknown serial second hand polished no-date sub was about €600(from memory, about 7 years ago). I would have been better off going to Weirs and purchasing one.

As mentioned before check out boards.ie or keep an eye here.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiloman View Post
    To be honest, you are wasting your time for decent second hand Rolex in Dublin.

There are some dealers in Dublin like Dawson Jewellers, but from what I have seen value and condition wise they are not good. Most of watches have been over polished with a lot of the finer edge detail dulled. Also the dealers are a bit cagey about the watches age, I asked one jeweller what serial number was it and they did not answer and fobbed me off with a bs answer.

The price differential that I saw at the time for a unknown serial second hand polished no-date sub was about €600(from memory, about 7 years ago). I would have been better off going to Weirs and purchasing one.

As mentioned before check out boards.ie or keep an eye here.
    Dawson's is one of the jewellers I visited. Thanks for the feedback. Obviously with my post count I cannot access the sales corner yet, but I'm getting there. Another option I am considering is a weekend trip to London as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I would've bought brand new but cannot as the watch I want have been discontinued :(