closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Need a watch for £183.94!

Need a watch for £183.94!

Evening everyone, I've been a lurker for a few months now but as I have very a specific question, I should probably introduce myself first...
    I'm 42 years old and married and it was my beautiful wife who actually got me in to watch collecting when she purchased me a n automatic Rotary. At the time, I thought it was the bees knees but it wasn't long before my eyes starting wondering! Over the last couple of years I've had a few watches and have finally 'stabilised' on a collection of 12, including 3 Rolex, a couple of Breitlings, Speedmaster Pro, a vintage Tudor Prince Oysterdate, a seiko SKX007, and a few others. As I will become a father for the first time next February, my wife has strongly 'suggested' that money would be more wisely spent on stuff for the baby rather than any more watches!! This, however, leads me to my question...

...In the attempt to be sensible, I have paid off some outstanding balance on a credit card but somehow I've ended up in credit of £183.94. It would appear, however, that the CC company won't transfer the balance back to my bank (some rubbish about money laundering). I've basically been informed my only option is spending it! Now, I could be sensible and buy baby clothes or what not, but one last watch fling seems the way to go!

As such, if you had £183.94 to burn, what watch would you buy and why? I'm open to anything; new, second hand, vintage, quartz, mechanical, or automatic.

Cheers in advance for any suggestions.

Oh... and some pictures of the current collection...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    nice collection!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Love the grape dial.

I'd go with baby cloths for the brownie points.

Craftsman
    As far as I can tell, you don't seem to have a radio controlled watch in your collection? Maybe a Casio GW-M5610-1ER would be nice...it's solar powered too. They're about £100.

Lovely collection you have, and like the poster above, I love the Grape dial.

Mrs P wears one daily (obviously the ladies version), and I've swithered over buying one for myself many a time.

Regarding your budget, I've no definitive answer, but the fun is in the hunting for something anyway, so have fun.

I'll second the 5610 GShock. You can use it to set your other watches. I'd also HIGHLY recommend a CWC G10 quartz. I just took delivery of one and it's a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by A440 View Post
    As far as I can tell, you don't seem to have a radio controlled watch in your collection? Maybe a Casio GW-M5610-1ER would be nice...it's solar powered too. They're about £100.
    I’ve been eyeing up another G-shock but I find the size of most just don’t suit and 42mm is my max. What’s the size of the M5610?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every collection needs a Vostok Amphibia. Get yourself over to Meranom, spend £50 on a watch and the rest on your wife and kid. Winner.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    I’ve been eyeing up another G-shock but I find the size of most just don’t suit and 42mm is my max. What’s the size of the M5610?

H = 46,7mm x W = 43,2mm x D = 12,7mm

I'm VERY sensitive to case sizes and I much prefer smaller watches and I wouldn't go near any of the non-square GShocks but the 5610 wears fine.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    H = 46,7mm x W = 43,2mm x D = 12,7mm

I'm VERY sensitive to case sizes and I much prefer smaller watches and I wouldn't go near any of the non-square GShocks but the 5610 wears fine.
    Just googled some wrist shots and this does actually look quite wearable. Definitely one for the shortlist.

Craftsman
    Really nice collection. You've got most boxes ticked there but how about a quartz of some sort? CWC g10 would tick the military and quartz boxes. Or how about a Citizen eco drive of some sort?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Think you have plenty of horological fancies already and most bases covered - it’s probably not what you want to hear but I’d spend it on the incoming little one . Or maybe some of those audible drown out muffs for those long nights .

Congratulations anyway !

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    Really nice collection. You've got most boxes ticked there but how about a quartz of some sort? CWC g10 would tick the military and quartz boxes. Or how about a Citizen eco drive of some sort?

The CWC g10 looks good. These weren't even on my radar but military style would be a nice change

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Think you have plenty of horological fancies already and most bases covered - it’s probably not what you want to hear but I’d spend it on the incoming little one . Or maybe some of those audible drown out muffs for those long nights .

Congratulations anyway !

Maybe a good pair of notice cancelling headphones!!

Maybe a good pair of notice cancelling headphones!!

Are they for when you get a parking fine?
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by A440 View Post
    £75 at Argos today! Bargain.

You have a nicely judged collection already, so for your budget I would suggest going for something a bit different. Casio M5610 is a good shout or something vintage and gold (filled) cased. Or buy your wife a watch.

Journeyman
    Holiday beach watch
    http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/...tch/?cmCat=OVM

Bargain as I saw this at £225 last week and it was further reduced

Master
    Blog Entries
    +1 for the CWC G10. Trouble is then you want the Smiths W10 next.

Craftsman
    The CWC g10 looks good. These weren't even on my radar but military style would be a nice change

Glad I could be of some help.

Master
    I'm interested in the fact the CC company won't pay your back your money, was it a cash payment then?

You'd think there'd be auto triggers for money laundering, like £5k plus or something. Seems crazy they're saying that over £180

Sorry to be boring, but I think you might be better off spending the money on a cot, car seat, changing mat, nappies, changing bag, baby grows, etc.

When my son was born it was strongly suggested that a "one in one out" policy be adopted by SWIMO.

You have some nice watches, so plently of scope to focus on Trading and PX rather than acquiring .

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    This Dan Henry is quite a looker and within your budget: https://danhenrywatches.com/products...ot-chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I'm interested in the fact the CC company won't pay your back your money, was it a cash payment then?

You'd think there'd be auto triggers for money laundering, like £5k plus or something. Seems crazy they're saying that over £180
    Not exactly Pablo Escobar! I was given 3 options: 1. Cash transfer to bank but would incur a transfer fee, 2. Close account and then they would send a cheque, 3. Spend it.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure that if I escalated it past the guy going through his script, they'd sort it. Wasn't too bothered as it will get spent one-way or another!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Sorry to be boring, but I think you might be better off spending the money on a cot, car seat, changing mat, nappies, changing bag, baby grows, etc.

When my son was born it was strongly suggested that a "one in one out" policy be adopted by SWIMO.

You have some nice watches, so plently of scope to focus on Trading and PX rather than acquiring .
    Probably the sensible option

A Seiko in the sales would be a nice lump. To add to the lovely collection maybe a bit left for the baby. You can always tell the Mrs that the baby can have a watch for their 21st birthday

Orient Bambino could be a good call. You could probably pick up anything prior to v4 at that price point

A gorgeous collection as is. New straps?

Journeyman
    that dan henry pilot has just gone on my list... stunning watch for the money

Journeyman
    dan henry also leaves £10 for a novelty baby grow to keep the mrs happy

Quote Originally Posted by Marcusu View Post
    This Dan Henry is quite a looker and within your budget: https://danhenrywatches.com/products...ot-chronograph
    That is a fine looking watch!!!

Seiko fifty five fathoms would be my suggestion, although more difficult to do on the CC.

Great collection!

I just got one of theese (the new 40mm version) and think it’s brilliant.

£191 delivered from Germany (so no taxes - yet!)

https://danhenrywatches.com/products...ic-diver-watch

so...Given you have such great collection, I don't think you need anymore, so just give it to me...