closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Digital papers.

Apprentice

Digital papers.

Why is it that when you spend a large sum on a watch you still get a set of papers?

If I lose these papers the watch reduces in value. Don't worry I won't but plenty do.

Isn't it time papers went digital?

If I buy a new washing machine I register my warranty on line and that's it.

Also, if all papers were digital that would have to help against the trade in stolen watches as a private version with now owner data could be viewed on line when buying used.

That would be a good idea, would reduce ownership issues if it was kept up to date, but I guess it would be a logistical nightmare.
    I believe with Omega you can purchase a fresh set of papers if they are lost, is it as simple as that??

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    That would be a good idea, would reduce ownership issues if it was kept up to date, but I guess it would be a logistical nightmare.
    I don't see why already established tech for electronics and many other items.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Does seem a backwards issuing papers these days.

Master
    Very simple reason for this not having happened already – data handling & protection compliance.
    There are very strict guidelines about who can access what information, and it’ll certainly never be another member of the public to verify the name and serial number matches with one being sold.
    It’s for this very purpose that paperwork is provided, and should be retained, to confirm authenticity.
    Patek operates an owner registration facility, but that’s more for obtaining the Patek magazine and invites to select events, etc.
    The CoO is still expected to be kept safe, for use when applying for warranty repairs and re-selling.

Blog Entries
    * Breitling already has the e-warranty - you get an electronic chip type warranty with LCD display.

https://ewarranty.breitling.com/docs...er%20guide.pdf

* Almost certainly Rolex have a card swiping system to register warranties at point of sale - I took my SD4K to be regulated into St. James without the warranty card and they checked the serial number (on the rehaut) on their system to check it was still in warranty - just asked for my details so they could update their records. Work was done under warranty. Don’t forget it’s the Watch that has warranty - it is not a system for proof of ownership.

Probably others too. Omega now issues 2 year service warranties as part of their receipts not a separate card and you can get the METAS results online for any certified new watch.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 18th October 2017 at 21:27.

Master
    Blog Entries
    How long before we have QR codes stamped on the watch rather than serial numbers?

They must be thinking of that.

Master
    Bit dull though, isn't it?

Why not both?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Bit dull though, isn't it?

Why not both?
    Dull ? In what way?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1680 View Post
    Dull ? In what way?
    Not answering for Steve but I also find the idea dull.
    Everything is switching from physical to the ether of the internet these days and it's boring.
    I'd rather be able to physically see a card or papers stamped named hologrammed as part of a box set etc than check an email.

Besides, I think dealers do have a log on their systems of whats been bought when as I've updated a couple of valuation certificates and they seem to be able to print them off quickly without needing to check the cards/watch.

Master
    Pretty much what verv said.

It's a bit like vinyl and CDs, it's a physical part of the set. As the amount of threads and debates related to box and papers shows, it's quite important to a lot of people.

The modern electronic version is fine but if I was to get myself a Rolex I would probably like a nice bit of paperwork with it

I thought most brands do record your and the watches details electronically.
    When in Omega last week the sales assistant took my name address and email and entered it in the database alongside the watch serial number to record the warrantee start date.
    Only when she had done this did she stamp the actual card.