closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tax refund when buying watch from USA/Mexico

Craftsman

Tax refund when buying watch from USA/Mexico

Apologies if this has been covered before but I can not find anything via the search function.

I am off to Cancun in two weeks and noticed there is a Rolex dealer near my hotel, having had a quick chat with them via email they have a few models in stock and I might purchase a 'hulk' whilst over there.
    They mentioned that I can claim back 8.9% tax as they will supply me with a tax free invoice?

Has anyone done this and can actually clarify what happens/how you did it?

I know the import fees when bringing the watch home, thats not my question/concern. If I can get a fair price on the watch and then claim so much back it might work out similar to UK RRP but without me waiting months for one.

Thanks in advance.

Your best bet is to order from someone out of state who will deliver to your hotel that way you won’t be charged Sales tax. Bernard Watch was pretty good when I bought from them but that was 10 years ago now.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quite a few years ago I bought my partner a watch in Cozumel (around $1,800 from memory) and in the shop they mentioned a tax rebate that the Mexican government offered to all foreign visitors - can’t remember how much but sure it was over 5% and no more than 10%. I had to go to a shopping mall down the road and go to a small kiosk there with my invoice. All seemed a bit suspect but it was a Tag and Hublot AD so I figured it was genuine. Anyway I filled out the forms and gave my bank details.

Heard nothing more.

Forgot about it.

About 8 or 9 months later it arrived in my bank account! So was genuine after all.

Craftsman
    Thanks guys. So the price they have quoted is not the final price, correct?
    Will it be the price they have quoted + sales tax which I then later claim back anyway?

Don’t think you can get refund buying from US. As someone suggested, buy from a state w/o sales tax.

Craftsman
    Work takes me to Mexico regularly (I've just returned today from latest trip) and I've been round most of the major ADs in Guadalajara, Mexico's 2nd city. The bad news is that watches are a lot more expensive in Mexico than they are here, so even after a discount and a tax rebate it's not worth buying there. I was looking at a Tudor Pelagos, about £3k here and over £4K in Mexico.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I got my ~8% sales tax back (minus a fee) when I bought a pre-owned Aquaracer in a branch Tourneau in the Galleria Houston about 8 or so years ago.

IIRC there was s tax refund place on the top floor of the Galleria Mall, and I took my receipt there to get a refund (minus their commission).

I don’t know if anything has changed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Work takes me to Mexico regularly (I've just returned today from latest trip) and I've been round most of the major ADs in Guadalajara, Mexico's 2nd city. The bad news is that watches are a lot more expensive in Mexico than they are here, so even after a discount and a tax rebate it's not worth buying there. I was looking at a Tudor Pelagos, about £3k here and over £4K in Mexico.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes this would be true now. I'm fairly sure from memory that I paid based on the USD (even though it was Mexico) and the £ was quite strong back then. When I was in Vegas a few weeks a go all the watches were really expensive because of the exchange rate.

Craftsman
    Ah well looks like it's probably a no go then.

They have just emailed and offered me a 126600 at 12,250USD which is approx £9300 at todays rate but I did not realise there will be a sales tax on that.
    Is there any second hand watch shops around Cancun who regularly have Rolex do you know?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don’t think you can get refund buying from US. As someone suggested, buy from a state w/o sales tax.
    You can in Louisiana. Got a fair bit back over the years, as said its usually a small office in a major mall. Take receipts, sales tax voucher and passport, claim it back in cash/cheque, job done.