closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speedy Tuesday disappointment?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Why not buy the original 3570.50 model. It is a classic and you can buy either used or brand new or am I missing something ?
    I agree, the only reason to buy one would be to chop it in and buy a 3750.50 for (nearly) free.

I`d have one over the ST all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I strongly disagree.
    You put your name on the waiting list for watch in good faith
    You want the watch
    However, when the call comes to say it has arrived, you realise that without touching it you can go home £2k richer.
    You take the £2k, simply because if you don't, someone else will.
    This is not profiteering (which is used here as an intentionally perjorative word).
    Especially, as has happened here a few times, you accept less (say, £1.5k) to sell in the forum than you could in the open market. Then 2 people benefit.
    All you are doing is acknowledging that the market has handed you an opportunity.

I absolutely seee nothing wrong with this. Personally, I think that suggesting that you leave it at the AD for some other person to profit by (as you seem to) is unusually naive.

Dave

Well written.

Al

Master
    Blog Entries
    Without profit there are no watches.

Master
    There is one aspect which has not been mentioned, as far as I can tell. Legibility. The white Sub- dials obscure legibility in poor light. The Speedy Tuesday is simply harder to read in such circumstances, light hands over a white backround.
    In that sense, the standard model is a better design. But the ST does look better. Take your choice. I don't think anyone need fret if they haven't got one. Unless a collector.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I agree, the only reason to buy one would be to chop it in and buy a 3750.50 for (nearly) free.

I`d have one over the ST all day long.
    I much prefer the ST. Panda 🐼 dial just looks nicer to me
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Unfortunately the world is divided between the haves ( have a Speedy Tuesday ) and the have nots ( have not got a Speedy Tuesday ) the elite dangle their trinket at us whilst luxuriating in their Salons and clubs. We The angry mob gather, demanding punishment for their profiteering.... Or at least that’s how it appears whenever one appears on Sales Corner.
    Mark

One simple lesson in life is that the haves regards the have nots as a bit backward and hence have no empathy with them. The SC is therefore full of haves and have nots and hence all the vitriolic arguing with each other.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Mark

One simple lesson in life is that the haves regards the have nots as a bit backward and hence have no empathy with them. The SC is therefore full of haves and have nots and hence all the vitriolic arguing with each other.
    If the have nots choose not to buy, as they're not happy with the price; does that then mean that the haves need to lower their expectations of price. Therefore the problem goes away? Too simplistic perhaps? :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    If the have nots choose not to buy, as they're not happy with the price; does that then mean that the haves need to lower their expectations of price. Therefore the problem goes away? Too simplistic perhaps? :)
    It can also go the other way, the world is full of have nots who cannot afford a PP or a Daytona etc. To be ultra simplistic - it's all about the market.

Master
    Bit nerdy, but I have been trying a Speedy Tuesday in a variety of poor lighting conditions. It's quite poor. The white sub-dials add confusion against the thin, light coloured hands. Certainly inferior to the standard , black Sub-dial model. The lume is initially impressive but wears off over a few hours.
    All in all, for my taste, the Speedy Tuesday is only justifiable if you want that 'look.' And it does look good. Handsome watch. But, otherwise, it doesn't seem to justify all the fuss. I now prefer the standard model, based on brief use.
    Last edited by paskinner; 23rd October 2017 at 12:05.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Bit nerdy, but I have been trying a Speedy Tuesday in a variety of poor lighting conditions. It's quite poor. The white sub-dials add confusion against the thin, light coloured hands. Certainly inferior to the standard , black Sub-dial model. The lume is initially impressive but wears off over a few hours.
    All in all, for my taste, the Speedy Tuesday is only justifiable if you want that 'look.' And it does look good. Handsome watch. But, otherwise, it doesn't seem to justify all the fuss. I now prefer the standard model, based on brief use.
    I agree, almost to the extent I’m not sure I will be keeping mine. Sad as it is a fine looking watch, but the silver sub dials do mean the silver hands are difficult to read - especially the hour hand which fits totally inside the sub dial. Having said that, maybe I will get used to it, or I’ll have to get the regular version too.

Martyn.

Journeyman
    It takes some getting used to I must admit, but after a few days the dial legibility was not too much of an issue for me, probably since my brain and visual pathways had rewired to it 😀

Sent from my Pixel XL using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It has two key attributes, to me anyway. It is a very good-looking watch, and it is likely to retain high value. The poor legibility is the down side. You end-up having to make a choice, as with many watches .

Still waiting for mine - to say the process has been a bit of balls up would be fair. Not been a great brand experience.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've never seen a watch flipped as much. Around 16 listed on SC, loads more listed on ebay, a few sold straight to dealers and lots still to be distributed to buyers.

I think by the time the last flipper gets his he will be selling around list.

People might think that's a bargain but I don't think at £4100 It represents good value. The standard Speedy Pro can be picked up new for less than £2600. Does the ST warrant a £1500+ premium over the Speedy Pro? Not for me. The £4400 premium was crazy.
    Last edited by JPCain86; 6th November 2017 at 21:04.

There were about 25 of them on Chrono24 the other week, but equally I remember there being 22 white Snoopy's listed at the same time and they have now disappeared off the radar, the odd one pops up every now and again.

Once all the ones being flipped end up in the hands of people who really want them and will keep them and dealers start to run out of stock the price will rise a little. The market is currently depressed due to complete saturation.

Master
    I, personally, think it is one of the ugliest Speedmasters ever made. And Omega have done absolutely nothing to add to the Speedy experience. It comes in a cheap watch roll, on a cheap leather strap, with a cheap piece of nylon, no steel bracelet, the quality control has been below par and communication for some has been awful. The most worrying part of the entire ST adventure is that the watch has been mostly bought by people speculating that the price would go up. Thus, giving the people who really love it a slimmer chance of owning one. The prices asked are ridiculous and I hope it will get back to list, so that the ones that missed out, can buy one for a normal price.

Craftsman
    Lovely watch, really cool but not worth the ticket price IMO. But like the Seiko 62 MAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I think there are two reasons for the flipping, both perfectly reasonable. The first is that people had to wait nine months, during which time all sorts of plans can change. The second is that the whole series was delivered over a short period, bunching a process that normally takes far longer.
    Give it a few months to settle and we'l see the true placing of this version of the Speedie. I'm no longer much of a fan, but I think it will be sought-after in the coming years. And probably traded much like any other special edition.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
    I, personally, think it is one of the ugliest Speedmasters ever made. And Omega have done absolutely nothing to add to the Speedy experience. It comes in a cheap watch roll, on a cheap leather strap, with a cheap piece of nylon, no steel bracelet, the quality control has been below par and communication for some has been awful. The most worrying part of the entire ST adventure is that the watch has been mostly bought by people speculating that the price would go up. Thus, giving the people who really love it a slimmer chance of owning one. The prices asked are ridiculous and I hope it will get back to list, so that the ones that missed out, can buy one for a normal price.
    Yep all true. And yet the price has gone up. Try a Wtb at list and see how that works out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Yep all true. And yet the price has gone up. Try a Wtb at list and see how that works out.
    Also true. I wouldn't want one for a grand under list ;)

Master
    I didn't get one and was, initially, very disappointed. I'm really not sure why, as I was never very keen on any of the LE, but I must have thought this one was special. Now I don't mind that I missed out and I know that if I got a notification that one was ready for collection I wouldn't be keeping it. I would either pass or flip it.
    I suppose the lightbulb moment for me was realising that they were being sold for prices in excess of a really nice '68 Transitional - would I swap my Tranny for one of these? Not a chance.