closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speedy Tuesday disappointment?

Hybrid View

Apprentice

Speedy Tuesday disappointment?

Everyone who has maybe bought,flipped or had an interest in the Tuesday.

Has anyone been disappointed in the whole process of this watch, maybe in the watch itself or that it seems at times to have turned into nothing more than an opportunity for profit making on the secondary market. Will the Tuesday become a classic speedy? or just another LE speedy to join the long list

For Omega it has been a success but from the potential buyers point of view has it.

D.

Master
    Success? They have effed it up royally and done a bit of damage to their brand from all accounts (i.e lack of clear communication, delayed deliveries, poor QC, annoying almost the entire US market etc)

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Success? They have effed it up royally and done a bit of damage to their brand from all accounts (i.e lack of clear communication, delayed deliveries, poor QC, annoying almost the entire US market etc)
    Essentially a collaboration with Fratello Watches who are American and then omega pretty much made sure America couldn’t order the watch. What an error.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Essentially a collaboration with Fratello Watches who are American and then omega pretty much made sure America couldn’t order the watch. What an error.
    Robert Jan Broer is Dutch. He owns Fratello Watches. So not exactly an error

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    They are Dutch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    It is imho one of the nicest Speedies to be released, and was good value at £4.1k list.

But when values hit £7k, there are nicer watches to be had for £7k.

So perhaps, in the end, this is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidalexander1968 View Post
    or just another LE speedy to join the long list

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    It is imho one of the nicest Speedies to be released, and was good value at £4.1k list.

Same thoughts really, although I still haven’t heard a dickie bird about mine actually being delivered.

If someone was stupid enough to offer me £7k for it, I’d be stupid enough to sell it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post

I thought it was very expensive at the US MSRP of $6,200 and I think it's insane at whatever they're selling for now. I'm a speedy lover too, and had the opportunity to buy but didn't.

The buyers who bought early for £7k + will be the most disappointed, i would think..

Craftsman
    I bought the FOIS about 6 months before the Speedy Tuesday came out and initially I was a bit gutted that I’d just bought my FOIS. I thought about flipping for it but I’m very glad I didn’t now! For me, the secondary market flipping has slightly tainted it for me.

It will be interesting to see how these LE watches are viewed in years to come. I’m sure the speedy tuesday will be desired at some point in the future. Most truly limited models are eventually aren’t they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    For those who are selling it, it’s a roaring success. Still can’t quite figure out he anger that suddenly emerges when someone tries to sell them above price. Do it on a hulk and it’s ok?
    Anyway it’s a nice looking thing, I’m gutted I missed out as I have the TinTin and think the two together would have been cool.
    The issue over buying it at 7k is I suppose down to the purchaser . If you bought a Nina Rhindt for 15k would anyone complain. A few years back I suspect they were a lot cheaper.
    Generally I try and buy vintage at a low cost as possible. This has caused pain the past but has had some right results as well. I do this to try and minimise possible pricing bubbles that might be happening with the Tuesday. Saying that I’m no genius so will probably lose my shirt on another down the line.

I was disappointed that I missed the boat first time around. I’ve just paid a bit above list but mine is a keeper.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th October 2017 at 18:16.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I was disappointed that I missed the boat first time around. I’ve just paid substantially aboveboard list but mine is a keeper.
    And I was going to pass you mine for a RRP

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it looks great but I'd never pay the premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    And I was going to pass you mine for a RRP
    See edit

Ignore.

I don’t think there has ever been a WTB for one

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I was disappointed that I missed the boat first time around. I’ve just paid a bit above list but mine is a keeper.
    I just thought, I wonder what would happen if I did a search for all the times you mentioned 'keeper' and funnily enough

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2723894

Note the date...
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I just thought, I wonder what would happen if I did a search for all the times you mentioned 'keeper' and funnily enough

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2723894

Note the date...
    Shut up, Simon, you trouble-maker!!!

Oh and in answering the OP, I wouldn't pay £4.1k for one but maybe if I had a spare £2k and wanted a new Speedy I could wear as a daily beater then maybe. I just don't really get any Speedies from after July 20th 1969. As I understand it Omega were in the process of replacing the Pro with the Mk2 (how successful that would have been I've no idea, see Porsche 911/928) and the publicity from all the moon stuff stayed Omega's hand and gave the Pro a new lease of life. That's not to say I don't like the 1970s and 1980s Speedies, I just like the pre-moon ones. I'm lucky enough to have one of the very last 145.012 321s, which makes it a hell of a lot easier to be indifferent about modern Speedies.

Just to quantify all of that, I really want a blue Pelagos. I should never have sold my Tudor Snowflake (or, for that matter the '68 Sub or Big Block) and probably can't afford a good one now, so the Pelagos will have to do. Blue Pelagos or Speedy Tuesday? The Tudor of course.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    We could have the 'Sad Speedy' limited edition..for all those not on the Speedy Tuesday list.

Grand Master
    I always find it hard to understand how people can commit to owning a watch they've never seen in the flesh; no matter how many pictures you look at the only way to evaluate a watch is to see it on your own wrist. With the Speedy Tuesday the 'quick buck' factor has obviously had a major influence on buyers' decisions to buy......how many have bought the watch and actually like it enough to keep? When there's a quick £1500 profit to make it's bound to influence one's thinking.

What amuses me is the silly excuses folks make when putting them up for sale, in the majority of cases they've known they would probably sell the watch immediately.

Personally I think the whole limited edition thing is tacky marketing at it's worst.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Most of the disappointment seems to be coming from flippers who didn't receive their watch early enough to cash in on the big money .
    People who are keeping them seem to like them enough.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    Most of the disappointment seems to be coming from flippers who didn't receive their watch early enough to cash in on the big money .
    Well if that's what you sign up for that's the rub of the green.

Apprentice

profit.

Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    With some of the speculative purchasing of the snoopy silver, the ck2998 and Tuesday to make a fast ££, is this now the common theme for all hyped new releases and has it become the norm in todays market to pay over RRP.

Seems that every new LE from Omega is getting this ££profiteering treatment but maybe is just indicative of the current market either on Omegas or Rolex sports that there is easy money to be made early and the buyers who miss out initially will pick up the inflated bill.

D.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I always find it hard to understand how people can commit to owning a watch they've never seen in the flesh; no matter how many pictures you look at the only way to evaluate a watch is to see it on your own wrist. With the Speedy Tuesday the 'quick buck' factor has obviously had a major influence on buyers' decisions to buy......how many have bought the watch and actually like it enough to keep? When there's a quick £1500 profit to make it's bound to influence one's thinking.

What amuses me is the silly excuses folks make when putting them up for sale, in the majority of cases they've known they would probably sell the watch immediately.

Personally I think the whole limited edition thing is tacky marketing at it's worst.

Paul
    I find it very easy to look at photos or videos and then visualise it on my wrist. Seems to work just fine. Out of all my watches, only one has ever been seen prior to ourchase.

I always find it hard to understand how people can commit to owning a watch they've never seen in the flesh; no matter how many pictures you look at the only way to evaluate a watch is to see it on your own wrist.

Paul
    That is a slightly odd remark considering we are on a web watch forum, especially one run by a web-only watch manufacturer/seller.

Clearly, the only way to truly evaluate a watch is on your wrist, but making intelligent enough choices based on research, without having to put it on, is simple enough.
    I think of many of my favourite watches in my collection, almost none of them would I have had a chance to try on before buying. And vintage? Uness it is amazingly common (like a speedie) no chance at all.
    My vintage Lemanias and Tudors, Sinn, Tutima, Lorenz, Armida ec etc. I have no chance of finding any of these to try before buying.
    I also think you need a bit more than pictures though, some dimensions at the very least.

Sure, there is the odd mistake (I can think of one for me, a Damasko), but I strongly believe most of us can make very good decisions without trying on.

Dave

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    That is a slightly odd remark considering we are on a web watch forum, especially one run by a web-only watch manufacturer/seller.

Clearly, the only way to truly evaluate a watch is on your wrist, but making intelligent enough choices based on research, without having to put it on, is simple enough.
    I think of many of my favourite watches in my collection, almost none of them would I have had a chance to try on before buying. And vintage? Uness it is amazingly common (like a speedie) no chance at all.
    My vintage Lemanias and Tudors, Sinn, Tutima, Lorenz, Armida ec etc. I have no chance of finding any of these to try before buying.
    I also think you need a bit more than pictures though, some dimensions at the very least.

Sure, there is the odd mistake (I can think of one for me, a Damasko), but I strongly believe most of us can make very good decisions without trying on.

Dave
    I disagree. I`ve often seen watches that I like in pictures but when I handle the thing it really disappoints. Usually it's the size, I'm not happy with watches that look too big or (more importantly) don`t sit well on my wrists. TAG Monaco is a good example, the size is OK for me but when I tried the watch it looked alike a brick tied on my hand.

Doing repairs gives me a chance to get close up to watches I`d never want to own, but sometimes I get a pleasant surprise and a watch I didn`t like the look of really 'grows ' on me when I stick it on the wrist to check the timing. I worked on a fairly plain Omega Geneve recently, nothing exciting until I popped it on a strap and wore it, then the watch just came to life in a way I didn`t expect. I was sorry to have to give it back to the owner!

I'm a great believer in trying a watch and inspecting it before buying, even if it means travelling a fair distance. Consequently I`ve never made a mistake buying a watch, I`ve never bought something and disliked it or been disappointed, but I`ve walked away from a few.

If I`d been aware of the Speedy Tuesday thing I could easily have joined in, but the only reason for doing so would've been to make some money by selling. What I dislike is the way Omega didn`t add it to the range and put it on a proper bracelet, they deliberately create this pseudo-collectors market for their limited editions and it devalues the brand further in my eyes.

Paul

I always find it hard to understand how people can commit to owning a watch they've never seen in the flesh; no matter how many pictures you look at.
    To be fair Paul, every man and his dog has owned, or tried a Speedmaster Pro here. It's not a far stretch to imagine one with silver subdials.

The 'problem' for me is that it's only that, a Speedy with different colour sub dials. And I like it too, just as much as a regular Speedy, so I'd only pay a regular Speedy price for one.

It's a stunning watch and I'm delighted to have got one at RRP. The only disappointment, in my opinion, was the included straps which were not great. Easily solved though

Craftsman
    I think it's a nice watch but agree the process from omega was poor

Craftsman
    doesnt stand out from the long list of LE's for me. Sure it was very successful in terms of profit but seems a bit short sighted, really damages their brand in the long term IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    doesnt stand out from the long list of LE's for me. Sure it was very successful in terms of profit but seems a bit short sighted, really damages their brand in the long term IMO.
    I disagree. I think the publicity generated and the potential new customers it has brought to Omega due to the direct marketing via social media etc. will have done their brand a lot of good. They pre-sold 2000+ in less than 4 hours. If that's a bad day in the office then wow

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Some idiot paid Watchfinder £10k for their first one, now they are asking £6.5k and that's in the space of 3 months.

Mine is somewhere, Omega sent it out on 6th Oct but omitted to tell me where they sent it. That's about as much as I know.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some idiot paid Watchfinder £10k for their first one, now they are asking £6.5k and that's in the space of 3 months.

Mine is somewhere, Omega sent it out on 6th Oct but omitted to tell me where they sent it. That's about as much as I know.
    That's worrying ...

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    That's worrying ...
    I was told by an informed source today that someone walked into the Trafford Centre Omega Boutique and bought a ST and a 60th anniversary and they were not on any lists. Apparently they asked about them and the watches were produced and sold there and then.

That was probably my watch.

Be interesting if it was, how would Omega handle that especially as I have e-mails from the CEO congratulating me on ordering the Watch and confirming which Watch Number had been allocated to me.

I suspect they wouldn't give a monkey's chuff.

Master
    I was told by an informed source today that someone walked into the Trafford Centre Omega Boutique and bought a ST and a 60th anniversary and they were not on any lists. Apparently they asked about them and the watches were produced and sold there and then.

That was probably my watch.

Be interesting if it was, how would Omega handle that especially as I have e-mails from the CEO congratulating me on ordering the Watch and confirming which Watch Number had been allocated to me.

I suspect they wouldn't give a monkey's chuff.
    Sorry, don't believe it. ST was an allocated watch with a clearly defined process. Most OB I believe haven't got enough 60th Anniversary models to meet the demand, let alone sell one to a walk in customer.

I have the contact details for the Omega Sales Manager. PM me with the ST number you ordered and I'll happily call him to see where it is, or where it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post

I have the contact details for the Omega Sales Manager. PM me with the ST number you ordered and I'll happily call him to see where it is, or where it's gone.
    Thanks and maybe an unbelievable coincedience, but just had an e-mail at 23:22 (happy to copy and paste if you don't believe me) saying that my watch is now in the UK and where would I like it delivered. I have already agreed with them home delivery, but gave them the details of the two Omega outlets in Liverpool if push came to shove.

Maybe the watch exists after all.

Quote Originally Posted by davidalexander1968 View Post
    Everyone who has maybe bought,flipped or had an interest in the Tuesday.

Has anyone been disappointed in the whole process of this watch, maybe in the watch itself or that it seems at times to have turned into nothing more than an opportunity for profit making on the secondary market. Will the Tuesday become a classic speedy? or just another LE speedy to join the long list

For Omega it has been a success but from the potential buyers point of view has it.

D.
    Worked out fine from my point of view. I have a new watch that I like. Prefer it to my other Speedmasters.

Master
    For the same price as this hashtag watch you can buy a proper vintage moon with history. Hummmm

Sent from my Moto C Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    For the same price as this hashtag watch you can buy a proper vintage moon with history. Hummmm

Sent from my Moto C Plus using Tapatalk
    That may be true. It’s not particularly pertinent to those who don’t want vintage, though (which is just as valid a purchasing decision).

Master
    Bit nerdy, but I have been trying a Speedy Tuesday in a variety of poor lighting conditions. It's quite poor. The white sub-dials add confusion against the thin, light coloured hands. Certainly inferior to the standard , black Sub-dial model. The lume is initially impressive but wears off over a few hours.
    All in all, for my taste, the Speedy Tuesday is only justifiable if you want that 'look.' And it does look good. Handsome watch. But, otherwise, it doesn't seem to justify all the fuss. I now prefer the standard model, based on brief use.
    Last edited by paskinner; 23rd October 2017 at 12:05.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Bit nerdy, but I have been trying a Speedy Tuesday in a variety of poor lighting conditions. It's quite poor. The white sub-dials add confusion against the thin, light coloured hands. Certainly inferior to the standard , black Sub-dial model. The lume is initially impressive but wears off over a few hours.
    All in all, for my taste, the Speedy Tuesday is only justifiable if you want that 'look.' And it does look good. Handsome watch. But, otherwise, it doesn't seem to justify all the fuss. I now prefer the standard model, based on brief use.
    I agree, almost to the extent I’m not sure I will be keeping mine. Sad as it is a fine looking watch, but the silver sub dials do mean the silver hands are difficult to read - especially the hour hand which fits totally inside the sub dial. Having said that, maybe I will get used to it, or I’ll have to get the regular version too.

Martyn.

Banned
    What exactly is a speedmaster Tuesday , I’ve heard this expression before and don’t get the association between a speedmaster and tuesdays 🤷🏽*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    What exactly is a speedmaster Tuesday , I’ve heard this expression before and don’t get the association between a speedmaster and tuesdays 🤷🏽*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Google might bring something up?

Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    What exactly is a speedmaster Tuesday , I’ve heard this expression before and don’t get the association between a speedmaster and tuesdays
    Some forum nerds decided that they'd start wearing Speedmasters on Tuesdays sometimes, so Omega made yet another limited edition in tribute to the niche online trend.

I'm not even joking — that's the entire basis for this thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Some forum nerds decided that they'd start wearing Speedmasters on Tuesdays sometimes, so Omega made yet another limited edition in tribute to the niche online trend.

I'm not even joking — that's the entire basis for this thing.
    You are not joking but nor are you particularly complete in your answer. The watch 'celebrates' 5 years of a blog devoted to variants of the Speedmaster.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/cate...peedy-tuesday/

Whoopee.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Whoopee.
    It is quite a good blog if you like these kind of things.

Which being on here, would more than likely be the case.......

Journeyman
    Disappointed on Omega's failed promises to deliver that keeps getting rolled.
    The watch itself is a stunner. Original price seems reasonable. Secondary market one will be rationalised over time but will remain above the original in my view

Sent from my G8441 using TZ-UK mobile app