closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speedy Tuesday disappointment?

Apprentice

Speedy Tuesday disappointment?

Everyone who has maybe bought,flipped or had an interest in the Tuesday.

Has anyone been disappointed in the whole process of this watch, maybe in the watch itself or that it seems at times to have turned into nothing more than an opportunity for profit making on the secondary market. Will the Tuesday become a classic speedy? or just another LE speedy to join the long list

For Omega it has been a success but from the potential buyers point of view has it.

D.

Master
    Success? They have effed it up royally and done a bit of damage to their brand from all accounts (i.e lack of clear communication, delayed deliveries, poor QC, annoying almost the entire US market etc)

Master
    It is imho one of the nicest Speedies to be released, and was good value at £4.1k list.

But when values hit £7k, there are nicer watches to be had for £7k.

So perhaps, in the end, this is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidalexander1968 View Post
    or just another LE speedy to join the long list

Craftsman
    I bought the FOIS about 6 months before the Speedy Tuesday came out and initially I was a bit gutted that I’d just bought my FOIS. I thought about flipping for it but I’m very glad I didn’t now! For me, the secondary market flipping has slightly tainted it for me.

It will be interesting to see how these LE watches are viewed in years to come. I’m sure the speedy tuesday will be desired at some point in the future. Most truly limited models are eventually aren’t they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    For those who are selling it, it’s a roaring success. Still can’t quite figure out he anger that suddenly emerges when someone tries to sell them above price. Do it on a hulk and it’s ok?
    Anyway it’s a nice looking thing, I’m gutted I missed out as I have the TinTin and think the two together would have been cool.
    The issue over buying it at 7k is I suppose down to the purchaser . If you bought a Nina Rhindt for 15k would anyone complain. A few years back I suspect they were a lot cheaper.
    Generally I try and buy vintage at a low cost as possible. This has caused pain the past but has had some right results as well. I do this to try and minimise possible pricing bubbles that might be happening with the Tuesday. Saying that I’m no genius so will probably lose my shirt on another down the line.

I was disappointed that I missed the boat first time around. I’ve just paid a bit above list but mine is a keeper.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th October 2017 at 18:16.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I was disappointed that I missed the boat first time around. I’ve just paid substantially aboveboard list but mine is a keeper.
    And I was going to pass you mine for a RRP

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it looks great but I'd never pay the premium.

Grand Master
    I always find it hard to understand how people can commit to owning a watch they've never seen in the flesh; no matter how many pictures you look at the only way to evaluate a watch is to see it on your own wrist. With the Speedy Tuesday the 'quick buck' factor has obviously had a major influence on buyers' decisions to buy......how many have bought the watch and actually like it enough to keep? When there's a quick £1500 profit to make it's bound to influence one's thinking.

What amuses me is the silly excuses folks make when putting them up for sale, in the majority of cases they've known they would probably sell the watch immediately.

Personally I think the whole limited edition thing is tacky marketing at it's worst.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Most of the disappointment seems to be coming from flippers who didn't receive their watch early enough to cash in on the big money .
    People who are keeping them seem to like them enough.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    Most of the disappointment seems to be coming from flippers who didn't receive their watch early enough to cash in on the big money .
    Well if that's what you sign up for that's the rub of the green.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    And I was going to pass you mine for a RRP
    See edit

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I always find it hard to understand how people can commit to owning a watch they've never seen in the flesh; no matter how many pictures you look at the only way to evaluate a watch is to see it on your own wrist. With the Speedy Tuesday the 'quick buck' factor has obviously had a major influence on buyers' decisions to buy......how many have bought the watch and actually like it enough to keep? When there's a quick £1500 profit to make it's bound to influence one's thinking.

What amuses me is the silly excuses folks make when putting them up for sale, in the majority of cases they've known they would probably sell the watch immediately.

Personally I think the whole limited edition thing is tacky marketing at it's worst.

Paul
    I find it very easy to look at photos or videos and then visualise it on my wrist. Seems to work just fine. Out of all my watches, only one has ever been seen prior to ourchase.

I always find it hard to understand how people can commit to owning a watch they've never seen in the flesh; no matter how many pictures you look at the only way to evaluate a watch is to see it on your own wrist.

Paul
    That is a slightly odd remark considering we are on a web watch forum, especially one run by a web-only watch manufacturer/seller.

Clearly, the only way to truly evaluate a watch is on your wrist, but making intelligent enough choices based on research, without having to put it on, is simple enough.
    I think of many of my favourite watches in my collection, almost none of them would I have had a chance to try on before buying. And vintage? Uness it is amazingly common (like a speedie) no chance at all.
    My vintage Lemanias and Tudors, Sinn, Tutima, Lorenz, Armida ec etc. I have no chance of finding any of these to try before buying.
    I also think you need a bit more than pictures though, some dimensions at the very least.

Sure, there is the odd mistake (I can think of one for me, a Damasko), but I strongly believe most of us can make very good decisions without trying on.

Dave

It's a stunning watch and I'm delighted to have got one at RRP. The only disappointment, in my opinion, was the included straps which were not great. Easily solved though

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    That is a slightly odd remark considering we are on a web watch forum, especially one run by a web-only watch manufacturer/seller.

Clearly, the only way to truly evaluate a watch is on your wrist, but making intelligent enough choices based on research, without having to put it on, is simple enough.
    I think of many of my favourite watches in my collection, almost none of them would I have had a chance to try on before buying. And vintage? Uness it is amazingly common (like a speedie) no chance at all.
    My vintage Lemanias and Tudors, Sinn, Tutima, Lorenz, Armida ec etc. I have no chance of finding any of these to try before buying.
    I also think you need a bit more than pictures though, some dimensions at the very least.

Sure, there is the odd mistake (I can think of one for me, a Damasko), but I strongly believe most of us can make very good decisions without trying on.

Dave
    I disagree. I`ve often seen watches that I like in pictures but when I handle the thing it really disappoints. Usually it's the size, I'm not happy with watches that look too big or (more importantly) don`t sit well on my wrists. TAG Monaco is a good example, the size is OK for me but when I tried the watch it looked alike a brick tied on my hand.

Doing repairs gives me a chance to get close up to watches I`d never want to own, but sometimes I get a pleasant surprise and a watch I didn`t like the look of really 'grows ' on me when I stick it on the wrist to check the timing. I worked on a fairly plain Omega Geneve recently, nothing exciting until I popped it on a strap and wore it, then the watch just came to life in a way I didn`t expect. I was sorry to have to give it back to the owner!

I'm a great believer in trying a watch and inspecting it before buying, even if it means travelling a fair distance. Consequently I`ve never made a mistake buying a watch, I`ve never bought something and disliked it or been disappointed, but I`ve walked away from a few.

If I`d been aware of the Speedy Tuesday thing I could easily have joined in, but the only reason for doing so would've been to make some money by selling. What I dislike is the way Omega didn`t add it to the range and put it on a proper bracelet, they deliberately create this pseudo-collectors market for their limited editions and it devalues the brand further in my eyes.

Paul

Craftsman
    I think it's a nice watch but agree the process from omega was poor

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    It is imho one of the nicest Speedies to be released, and was good value at £4.1k list.

Same thoughts really, although I still haven’t heard a dickie bird about mine actually being delivered.

If someone was stupid enough to offer me £7k for it, I’d be stupid enough to sell it.

Apprentice

profit.

Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    With some of the speculative purchasing of the snoopy silver, the ck2998 and Tuesday to make a fast ££, is this now the common theme for all hyped new releases and has it become the norm in todays market to pay over RRP.

Seems that every new LE from Omega is getting this ££profiteering treatment but maybe is just indicative of the current market either on Omegas or Rolex sports that there is easy money to be made early and the buyers who miss out initially will pick up the inflated bill.

D.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post

I thought it was very expensive at the US MSRP of $6,200 and I think it's insane at whatever they're selling for now. I'm a speedy lover too, and had the opportunity to buy but didn't.

I always find it hard to understand how people can commit to owning a watch they've never seen in the flesh; no matter how many pictures you look at.
    To be fair Paul, every man and his dog has owned, or tried a Speedmaster Pro here. It's not a far stretch to imagine one with silver subdials.

The 'problem' for me is that it's only that, a Speedy with different colour sub dials. And I like it too, just as much as a regular Speedy, so I'd only pay a regular Speedy price for one.

The buyers who bought early for £7k + will be the most disappointed, i would think..

Craftsman
    doesnt stand out from the long list of LE's for me. Sure it was very successful in terms of profit but seems a bit short sighted, really damages their brand in the long term IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    doesnt stand out from the long list of LE's for me. Sure it was very successful in terms of profit but seems a bit short sighted, really damages their brand in the long term IMO.
    I disagree. I think the publicity generated and the potential new customers it has brought to Omega due to the direct marketing via social media etc. will have done their brand a lot of good. They pre-sold 2000+ in less than 4 hours. If that's a bad day in the office then wow

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Some idiot paid Watchfinder £10k for their first one, now they are asking £6.5k and that's in the space of 3 months.

Mine is somewhere, Omega sent it out on 6th Oct but omitted to tell me where they sent it. That's about as much as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I was disappointed that I missed the boat first time around. I’ve just paid a bit above list but mine is a keeper.
    I just thought, I wonder what would happen if I did a search for all the times you mentioned 'keeper' and funnily enough

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2723894

Note the date...
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I just thought, I wonder what would happen if I did a search for all the times you mentioned 'keeper' and funnily enough

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post2723894

Note the date...
    Shut up, Simon, you trouble-maker!!!

Oh and in answering the OP, I wouldn't pay £4.1k for one but maybe if I had a spare £2k and wanted a new Speedy I could wear as a daily beater then maybe. I just don't really get any Speedies from after July 20th 1969. As I understand it Omega were in the process of replacing the Pro with the Mk2 (how successful that would have been I've no idea, see Porsche 911/928) and the publicity from all the moon stuff stayed Omega's hand and gave the Pro a new lease of life. That's not to say I don't like the 1970s and 1980s Speedies, I just like the pre-moon ones. I'm lucky enough to have one of the very last 145.012 321s, which makes it a hell of a lot easier to be indifferent about modern Speedies.

Just to quantify all of that, I really want a blue Pelagos. I should never have sold my Tudor Snowflake (or, for that matter the '68 Sub or Big Block) and probably can't afford a good one now, so the Pelagos will have to do. Blue Pelagos or Speedy Tuesday? The Tudor of course.

Ignore.

I don’t think there has ever been a WTB for one

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some idiot paid Watchfinder £10k for their first one, now they are asking £6.5k and that's in the space of 3 months.

Mine is somewhere, Omega sent it out on 6th Oct but omitted to tell me where they sent it. That's about as much as I know.
    That's worrying ...

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    To be fair the TZ community has never liked paying over the odds for watches.

And then at the rate they've appeared on SC a WTB would have been a little redundant.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    That's worrying ...
    I was told by an informed source today that someone walked into the Trafford Centre Omega Boutique and bought a ST and a 60th anniversary and they were not on any lists. Apparently they asked about them and the watches were produced and sold there and then.

That was probably my watch.

Be interesting if it was, how would Omega handle that especially as I have e-mails from the CEO congratulating me on ordering the Watch and confirming which Watch Number had been allocated to me.

I suspect they wouldn't give a monkey's chuff.

WTS: wanting to sell

Blog Entries
    I found the whole experience of seeing them for sale to other members at such a huge profit a dirty one.

I don't care if the RRP was £4.1k, and that they were possibly going for £10k on watchpounder or wherever... buying something for £4.1 (when genuine Speedie lovers may not have been able to get hold of one) and flipping them off at £7k was to me a disgrace. Repeat: I don't care if they were going for MORE elsewhere.

That is somewhere else... THIS is here.

I don't buy into the whole: "it's my / his watch so they should be able to do what they want with it / if you don't like it... ignore" argument.

People WANTED that watch, couldn't get one, and saw people buy to sell for profit. The end.

I hope that the fundraiser did very well out of this anyway. Just when DOES profiteering become 'dealing?'

The watch collecting fraternity should be a brotherhood or sisterhood. Not a place to cream somebody for £3k and STILL sleep well at night.

Call me old school... but this is just wrong. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    I found the whole experience of seeing them for sale to other members at such a huge profit a dirty one.

I don't care if the RRP was £4.1k, and that they were possibly going for £10k on watchpounder or wherever... buying something for £4.1 (when genuine Speedie lovers may not have been able to get hold of one) and flipping them off at £7k was to me a disgrace. Repeat: I don't care if they were going for MORE elsewhere.

I don't buy into the whole: "it's my / his watch so they should be able to do what they want with it / if you don't like it... ignore" argument.

People WANTED that watch, couldn't get one, and saw people buy to sell for profit. The end.

I hope that the fundraiser did very well out of this anyway. Just when DOES profiteering become 'dealing?'

The watch collecting fraternity should be a brotherhood or sisterhood. Not a place to cream somebody for £3k and STILL sleep well at night.

I take it your moral high ground stance applies to the many Rolex 'profiteering' sales threads we regularly see here and not just this one?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

I think a lot of people feel that way too but as vintage watch prices increase and drag new watch prices with them the forum as a whole - like it or not - seems to have shifted away from the enthusiast side of things towards seeing watches as investments. I'm not suggesting everyone feels that way but no one's selling vintage Speedies, Rolexes, Tudors, Heuers or anything else anymore that's been increasing in value. That's not because they're not out there, more because they're all increasing so much in value no one wants to sell when prices are climbing so dramatically. Not so long ago you'd have been crucified for admitting in public that you'd bought two of the same new and very difficult to come by watch specifically to keep one and sell the other for a nice profit. And yet here we are with Speedy Tuesdays, 43mm Seadwellers and whatever else is new and rare going for nice profits.

Master

I happen to agree with this sentiment but that Genie is out the bottle.
    First blatant profiteering I saw(in my short time on here) was a Nautilus getting sold for a couple of grand profit last year and not much was said.
    I suppose the flip side is LTF got one on here(I'm assuming)for a lot less than he'd have paid elsewhere and it does mean sought after watches get to stay on the forum without dealer mark ups.
    Personally I don't see much wrong offering them for the same as they would get off a trader(e.g. Watchfinder)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I think a lot of people feel that way too but as vintage watch prices increase and drag new watch prices with them the forum as a whole - like it or not - seems to have shifted away from the enthusiast side of things towards seeing watches as investments. I'm not suggesting everyone feels that way but no one's selling vintage Speedies, Rolexes, Tudors, Heuers or anything else anymore that's been increasing in value. That's not because they're not out there, more because they're all increasing so much in value no one wants to sell when prices are climbing so dramatically. Not so long ago you'd have been crucified for admitting in public that you'd bought two of the same new and very difficult to come by watch specifically to keep one and sell the other for a nice profit. And yet here we are with Speedy Tuesdays, 43mm Seadwellers and whatever else is new and rare going for nice profits.
    Well mate... I agree that if you spend a whole LOT of money on a piece... and with the word 'investment' in the back of mind... then that is fair enough.

Buying something, taking ownership of it, actually 'wearing it / enjoying it' for a good while... then asking the going rate for that day if you sell down the line is fair enough. I bought a Submariner a few years ago for £2.4k, and over TIME it has gained in value. That I accept.

It takes a LARGE outlay of hard earned cash to purchase a luxury item. So they are deserved 'investments.' In the long run.

It's the "I'll order this to sell immediately WITHOUT even putting it on my own wrist" mentality that this particular watch saw happen that really got me narked. An investment is an investment... granted... but buying TO SELL... without even wearing... that is just one beyond the acceptable.

Master

Not a disappointment

I don't get all of the angst against the Speedy Tuesday, I really don't.

I was waiting to collect my nephew at Manchester Airport when I received the original email in January. It said reserve one now with no cash required, delivery in the summer of 2017. I received teaser emails in the time between January and July.

I then received a phone call and emails from the Omega Sales Manager confirming that I was happy to collect it from the OB in Leeds. Omega confirmed shipment in July and delivery in early August.

I collected from Berrys OB in Leeds in August. The experience was very good. I got given, without asking, a couple of gifts that you can't buy, and a copy of the Speedy Tuesday magazine. When I got home here was another copy of the magazine direct from Omega.

The watch was supplied with all the stickers in place in the coffin and all of the paraphernalia that comes with it. I haven't felt the need to inspect with a loupe but everything seems in order quality wise and time keeping is good when I've wound it up and recorded the numbers.

Sure I asked WF what they would offer, it was between £6k - £6.25k at the time, but I have kept hold of it.

I have this and a Silver Snoopy, both unworn with all stickers in place. I've no interest in selling them now and I'm not going to wear either of them. They're a gamble, a potential bonus to my retirement fund. If Omega offer up another LE and I have the funds at the time I'll probably add that too.

I don't try to understand why my ST, which is not a special number (between 0490 - 0500) came before some lower numbers and frankly I'm not that interested, but it did and the experience was fine.

Did Omega "royally f**k up"? I don't think so. Personally I'm probably more into the brand than previously. Did they meet my expectations? Yes they did. Do I really care that a manufacturer, based in Europe, chose to release this offering at a time that suits Europeans and not the US? Nope, not my problem. Do I feel guilty of owning a watch that seems to have a lot of people wanting one to wear everyday whilst mine sits in a box? Not at all. It's my £4.1k that was spent, so up to me how I treat the watch.

Lastly, do I feel guilty that I was able to buy it? No. I guess I was lucky enough to be on Omega's database. Possibly as I've spent around £10k with them in the past five years, or because I've signed up to receive offers and promotions from them. I don't know but I am grateful for the opportunity and I am happy to say that I own a Speedy Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Success? They have effed it up royally and done a bit of damage to their brand from all accounts (i.e lack of clear communication, delayed deliveries, poor QC, annoying almost the entire US market etc)
    Essentially a collaboration with Fratello Watches who are American and then omega pretty much made sure America couldn’t order the watch. What an error.

Master
    I was told by an informed source today that someone walked into the Trafford Centre Omega Boutique and bought a ST and a 60th anniversary and they were not on any lists. Apparently they asked about them and the watches were produced and sold there and then.

That was probably my watch.

Be interesting if it was, how would Omega handle that especially as I have e-mails from the CEO congratulating me on ordering the Watch and confirming which Watch Number had been allocated to me.

I suspect they wouldn't give a monkey's chuff.
    Sorry, don't believe it. ST was an allocated watch with a clearly defined process. Most OB I believe haven't got enough 60th Anniversary models to meet the demand, let alone sell one to a walk in customer.

I have the contact details for the Omega Sales Manager. PM me with the ST number you ordered and I'll happily call him to see where it is, or where it's gone.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Essentially a collaboration with Fratello Watches who are American and then omega pretty much made sure America couldn’t order the watch. What an error.
    Robert Jan Broer is Dutch. He owns Fratello Watches. So not exactly an error

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    I take it your moral high ground stance applies to the many Rolex 'profiteering' sales threads we regularly see here and not just this one?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

You use the words 'moral high ground stance?'

Really? The words 'moral high ground' seem derogatory? I personally think that my stance is decent and true to this hobby. I stand by it.

I just see it as a 'fair minded stance.'

I don't really know about the Rolex profiteering sales threads if I am to be honest. I have noticed the recent Speedmaster Tuesday ones specifically as I do love my Speedmasters. I don't really pore over Sales Corner to see who is doing what. My time on here is limited.

It's the "I'll buy this without ANY intention of wearing it to make a fast £3k from a fellow watch lover" that I didn't like.

If people are 'purposefully buying Rolex watches to profit to a massive extent while never wearing them' then YES... I totally apply my 'moral high ground stance' to those.

I don't know who sold and sells what on here too. I have just seen the threads and didn't appreciate the way things were. Is all. :)

I hope that explains. :)

Quote Originally Posted by davidalexander1968 View Post
    Everyone who has maybe bought,flipped or had an interest in the Tuesday.

Has anyone been disappointed in the whole process of this watch, maybe in the watch itself or that it seems at times to have turned into nothing more than an opportunity for profit making on the secondary market. Will the Tuesday become a classic speedy? or just another LE speedy to join the long list

For Omega it has been a success but from the potential buyers point of view has it.

D.
    Worked out fine from my point of view. I have a new watch that I like. Prefer it to my other Speedmasters.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post

I have the contact details for the Omega Sales Manager. PM me with the ST number you ordered and I'll happily call him to see where it is, or where it's gone.
    Thanks and maybe an unbelievable coincedience, but just had an e-mail at 23:22 (happy to copy and paste if you don't believe me) saying that my watch is now in the UK and where would I like it delivered. I have already agreed with them home delivery, but gave them the details of the two Omega outlets in Liverpool if push came to shove.

Maybe the watch exists after all.

Master
    Thanks and maybe an unbelievable coincedience, but just had an e-mail at 23:22 (happy to copy and paste if you don't believe me) saying that my watch is now in the UK and where would I like it delivered. I have already agreed with them home delivery, but gave them the details of the two Omega outlets in Liverpool if push came to shove.

Maybe the watch exists after all.
    That sounds like good news then. Go for the OB experience. Maybe they'll throw in some sweeteners for you. I'd ask for a couple of NATOs especially as we're now in Autumn and not Summer....

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like some of the specials to look at, like the Alaska project and Apollo 11 45th, but for me the only 'classic' is the original heselite version.

I wouldn't pay the list for the Tuesday let alone the speculative prices, but I can see why some would it's a great looking watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I really like some of the specials to look at, like the Alaska project and Apollo 11 45th, but for me the only 'classic' is the original heselite version.

I wouldn't pay the list for the Tuesday let alone the speculative prices, but I can see why some would it's a great looking watch.
    The Alaska Project went from being unsellable to super desirable over a couple years. This is a funny hobby.

This

This

And this

are the three most desirable speemasters to me. One of these days I'll get the latter two to create my ultimate triple.