closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: thoughts please? omega 2254 vs tudor black bay

Grand Master

thoughts please? omega 2254 vs tudor black bay

anyone own both? i'm tempted by a black bay but i'd need to move out my 2254 to do it - and i can't decide whether i should!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I've owned a 2254 and regret flipping it for a Rolex Submariner so I'd hold on to the 2254.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    I've owned a 2254 and regret flipping it for a Rolex Submariner so I'd hold on to the 2254.

swap you!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

If I'd got the Black Bay you're on! The 2254 was always comfortable to wear, easy to see with lume and great service from Omega.

Grand Master
    Jon, I really wouldn`t consider doing this, I really wouldn`t.

I think you'd regret letting the 2254 go, plenty of people have sold these watches and wished they hadn`t.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    If I'd got the Black Bay you're on! The 2254 was always comfortable to wear, easy to see with lume and great service from Omega.

2254s don`t need to go to Omega for service.....another point in favour!

Paul

I wouldn't if I was in your shoes .... the Omega is an absolute classic, I'd rather get a savings plan together and be patient

Then have both :)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    2254s don`t need to go to Omega for service

Paul
    Do any Omegas need to Paul?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cf31bloobird View Post
    I wouldn't if I was in your shoes .... the Omega is an absolute classic, I'd rather get a savings plan together and be patient

Then have both :)

i'm trying to stick to a one in one out policy!

- - - Updated - - -

Do any Omegas need to Paul?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

The 2254 is my biggest selling regret as I'd owned it from new. I now have a Black Bay black but if I could only own one it would be the Omega.

Journeyman
    Tudor Black bay bronze

Grand Master
    ok looks like opinion is against me! the problem is i don't wear the 2254 enough, on the occasions where i would wear it i tend to pick out my exp ii instead. it just sits in the box most of the time.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Well nobody can tell you to like a watch. If you don’t like it move it on and do not regret. It’s definitely a big favourite amongst us lot but probably doesn’t reallly register amongst the general public.
    I’m interested in the fact you hardly ever wear it. For me it’s my most worn watch. Slim under a cuff. Tough, great Lume but also not too toolish it can go with anything.
    The 2254 picks up the vibe of the big triangle SM300. Your potential Black Bay picks up the vibe of the Tudor Sub. So perhaps you like that look overall.
    I might be tempted to save away and have both

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Well nobody can tell you to like a watch. If you don’t like it move it on and do not regret. It’s definitely a big favourite amongst us lot but probably doesn’t reallly register amongst the general public.
    I’m interested in the fact you hardly ever wear it. For me it’s my most worn watch. Slim under a cuff. Tough, great Lume but also not too toolish it can go with anything.
    The 2254 picks up the vibe of the big triangle SM300. Your potential Black Bay picks up the vibe of the Tudor Sub. So perhaps you like that look overall.
    Don't get me wrong, i do like it, it's a beautiful looking thing, but for some reason i rarely wear it. I'm suffering that well known wis problem. i want to change things up in the watchbox but i don't want to let any go or commit more cash than i already have tied up!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Don't get me wrong, i do like it, it's a beautiful looking thing, but for some reason i rarely wear it. I'm suffering that well known wis problem. i want to change things up in the watchbox but i don't want to let any go or commit more cash than i already have tied up!
    I'm having a similar problem but over the blue Pelagos. I really want to add it. to my collection but don't want to let go of any of the existing line up; saving it is!

Ryan

I own a 2254 and used to have a Tudor Black Bay.
    The 2254 wears much better in my opinion. The Black Bay was a nice watch but I wasn't too keen on the way it sat on my wrist, the 2254 is nice and slim, the side of the Tudor was like a slab in comparison.

I used to own the Omega and I currently have a Black Bay (ETA) - the latter does wear much bigger (and heavier) but I would say they were comparable in quality and style terms.

Keep the 2254, but add a non-ac dial :-)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Both very nice watches,as I said when we spoke earlier today Jon,I have the 2264 & Tudor BB(Smiley face model),and the Tudor Sub too........Mine aren't going anywhere soon,maybe when I'm 60 in 2 years I'll be letting most of mine go to add to the retirement stash,only thing is the collection keeps growing!,my Rolex EXII maybe coming back to me tomorrow in a trade.

Keep the 2254 Jon and buy the BB too.

I'm trying to stick to a one in one out policy!
    I see ..... but sometimes it's just a foolish idea that needs to be put aside! :)

I spotted a Omega 2254.50 in the window of a local dealers, who are in my opinion on the high side with the prices of there watches usually over polished Rolex submariners.

I popped in to enquire the price, and it was £2250, with a tatty box and no cards. Not great condition but alright.

This is a very sought after watch I was told and a very good price.

I bought mine new in 2008 for £1100, wore it loads, still was still super accurate.

Wanted a pelegos, waited for one to come up new ( ETA 1 version ) in a clearance sale due to in house movement new model. Kept the 2254.50 as well.

Did think about selling it to get a non date sub (pre ceramic) when they were new, but tried both together, then added the test of my son to which I said pick one, he chose the Omega as it looks better in his opinion and felt nicer. I had to agree with him.

The 2254 is a great watch and if I let my go, I do not think I would be able to buy one again in the same complete condition, so it is a keeper and it will pass on to the children when I no longer need to wear a watch. ;)
    Last edited by pastrana72; 18th October 2017 at 19:23.

Hi,

I have both and if I had to choose then the Omega would win (quite easily)...

Adam

Craftsman
    For the Tudor

Not quite the same but I had a 2234, bought a Black Bay (original red model), sold the Black Bay and still have the 2234. This is more a comment about how much I like the Omega than a reflection on the Tudor. I liked the Tudor a lot and may have another one one day but I can't see me ever letting go of the SMP.

Grand Master
    2254.50 is one of my all-time Omega favourites from the recent era, even though I don`t own one.

I`ve worked on several, ranging from nice original examples to basket cases, and each time I start getting the urge to own one again. Truth is, I prefer smaller watches and dive watches aren't my favourites even though I own a couple. I couldn`t justify adding a 2254 to the collection, especially at the price necessary to get a good one. Before Omega stopped supplying parts it was easy to get a scruffy example, refinish the case and fit a new bezel (£200) to produce a very nice watch........I did this several times for people but nowadays I rarely get involved with them owing to the parts situation.

I have a pre-ceramic 'Black Bond ' SMP which is nice in it's own right; I have a near-mint bezel for a 2254 plus a dial and handset in my parts stash and I`ve considered fitting these to create a 2254 'replica' with the co-axial movement and Bond bracelet (which I much prefer). Might just try this over the winter if I get bored.

2254.50's the best diver Omega have produced, far nicer than the faux vintage looking Seamaster 300 or the Planet Ocean, and a far better watch than the original 1960s Seamaster 300. It's a classic, it's easy to service, only problem thesedays is the prices!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by adamch66 View Post
    Hi,

I have both and if I had to choose then the Omega would win (quite easily)...

Adam
    This behaviour for me as well.

The Tudor is a class act but the Omega still a class above

Master
    There’s quite a bit of comparison on this thread between the 2254 and a Sub. Always has been as well. I reckon that it’s the one modern Seamaster that really competes with a Sub. Don’t get me wrong Seamasters 300m’s are very nice watches but I think in general they have a different market.
    Basically a Seamaster is a sporty, dressy ‘good’ watch for a chap who would think 6k on a Watch is ostentatious. When the 2254 was produced the build quality was basically the same as the Sub of that time and the looks gave it a less dress diver look than other Seamasters. In fact the less glossy but vintage look was somewhat ahead of the market at the time.
    It is a classic.

2254.50 is one of my all-time Omega favourites from the recent era, even though I don`t own one.

I`ve worked on several, ranging from nice original examples to basket cases, and each time I start getting the urge to own one again. Truth is, I prefer smaller watches and dive watches aren't my favourites even though I own a couple. I couldn`t justify adding a 2254 to the collection, especially at the price necessary to get a good one. Before Omega stopped supplying parts it was easy to get a scruffy example, refinish the case and fit a new bezel (£200) to produce a very nice watch........I did this several times for people but nowadays I rarely get involved with them owing to the parts situation.

I have a pre-ceramic 'Black Bond ' SMP which is nice in it's own right; I have a near-mint bezel for a 2254 plus a dial and handset in my parts stash and I`ve considered fitting these to create a 2254 'replica' with the co-axial movement and Bond bracelet (which I much prefer). Might just try this over the winter if I get bored.

2254.50's the best diver Omega have produced, far nicer than the faux vintage looking Seamaster 300 or the Planet Ocean, and a far better watch than the original 1960s Seamaster 300. It's a classic, it's easy to service, only problem thesedays is the prices!

Paul
    Hi Paul,

I presume I fall into the 'basket case' category, than

With my aftermarket display case back, non AC dial and PO second hand?

I still have the original parts too, just in case

Grand Master
    i'm going to wear it tomorrow and see how i feel about it. i think it's the fact that these are becoming rarer in good nick that stops me wearing it!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

The Omega, classic already and getting more pricey, the Black Bay who knows what it will do and they are not hard to get hold of, and practically it doesn't wear as well.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    Hi Paul,

I presume I fall into the 'basket case' category, than

With my aftermarket display case back, non AC dial and PO second hand?

I still have the original parts too, just in case
    Hi Dan,
    I`ve had worse than yours to sort out!

I`m not normally a fan of modifications but this one certainly hit the spot. You'd really struggle to buy the parts thesedays.

Paul

Grand Master
    i'm going to wear it tomorrow and see how i feel about it. i think it's the fact that these are becoming rarer in good nick that stops me wearing it!
    Provided you don`t put any serious dings in it the case can always be refinished, bezels can be replaced (at a cost), bracelets can be refinished, movement parts are available. You shouldn`t worry too much about using it provided you're sensible.

Paul

Grand Master
    Provided you don`t put any serious dings in it the case can always be refinished, bezels can be replaced (at a cost), bracelets can be refinished, movement parts are available. You shouldn`t worry too much about using it provided you're sensible.

Paul
    i tend not to use the bracelet, being left handed i'm very hard on them!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

The BB would get less wear than the EXPII as well. That’s because it’s a classier watch. I wouldn’t sell my 2254 or BB.

I still think the SMP300m models are amazing value for money.
    It's just a matter of time...

Just to add to the 2254 love. If I had one, I wouldn't sell it. I don't like the slab-sidedness of the BB, but the 2254 is a classic, and will be increasingly hard to buy back in the right condition, and at the right money.

Dave

Grand Master
    so i'm wearing it today....might stay on wrist for a while too. it's staying for now!

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I have both and enjoy them both.

However, the 2254 would be the one that stays if it came to it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

I paid £850 for my 2254 in 2009, had it for 3 years before trading it for a Dreadnought. Do I miss it? No not really as I have a 2542 which I prefer. Money wise the 2254 will only increase as its a WIS favourite, the Black Bay is not in the same class as to collecting, but a nice watch. Keep the 2254

My 2254 is my first 'good watch'. Will never sell it, even when anything else might need to go. Enough said :)

Master
    I have the SMP 2264 (quartz) and a Rolex GMT II, and love them both. Both are really good for travel due to the jumping hour hand, but the SMP's hands are more appealing due to the way the light reflects off the polished bevels, and the excellent lume they offer. The GMT (same size and similar dial, hands, etc to the Rolex Sub) is a bit smaller, but both are classics, and I'd not want to let either of them go in favour of a Tudor BB...
    Last edited by HappyJack; 22nd October 2017 at 02:40.

I've had and sold a 2254, 2264 and a black bay.

I dont regret letting the Omegas go... but that's only because I picked up a 2255 instead. The Black Bay was a lovely watch but the chance to get a GS SBGA029 meant it left only four days after it arrived. Having tried the BB a few times since it's still on my radar but probably on the leather strap, something is just wrong with the scale of the bracelet on the ETA version especially (the middle section is too wide).

So I would let the 2254 go... but only if I was replacing it with another member of the SMP family ( I always wanted the GMT version but love my blue 2255 now). They are great watches, though it might take letting one go to fully appreciate that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    My 2254 is my first 'good watch'. Will never sell it, even when anything else might need to go. Enough said :)

Same for me.

2254.50 was my first proper decent Swiss Watch. Have owned for 9 years and from new.

Another vote for the 2254; a real classic.
    I had a BB red, but lovely watch that it is, and probably also meriting the "classic" label, I didn't find it as all-round wearable or satisfying as the 2254.

I had the chance to buy a 2254 and didn't take it due to financial restraints at the time (the wife). I still hanker after one now so that would be my choice.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk