closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Air-King

Air-King

Hi all.

Been a while since I posted on TZ. Took a break from watches in general but of course that never lasts. :-)

Thought I’d post something about my Air-King. I know many feel this model is too small but this one holds a special significance for me. My wife gifted it to me on our wedding night. The case back was engraved with both of our names and wedding date by Rolex.

I didn’t know too much about Rolexes at the time, except for Subs and GMTs, so once I received it I started researching the history of the Air-King model. I genuinely love it now and I really like the feel of it on the wrist. I’ve had so many watches over the years and modern watches all have a heft to them while this does the opposite and feels light as a feather on the wrist which is a nice change.

I don’t think it’s too small on my 6.75inch wrist either. Would say it’s pretty much spot on. It’s the 34mm model. The sunburst dial is great too.

Here are some (rubbish) pics. Would be great to see some other smaller Air-King variants owned by forum members too. I wasn’t too pleased with the new dial and size of the most recent model, while inline with modern trends seems to have lost everything that it stood for IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I bought almost the same watch (but with stainless steel engine turned bezel) for my wife as an anniversary gift a couple of years back...I wore it for a while before having it resized and I must say it did feel very nice on the wrist - ultimately too small for my 7.25 wrists, but there was a real classy and elegant feel to it...

unfortunately my wife isn't a very big watch wearer, so I get to see it in my watch box frequently

Craftsman
    Actually, looking again, the OPs must be the modern equivalent to my 5 digit model (as his his wider lugs, which I'm sure would make it look a bit bigger)

Thanks for posting, it's a lovely watch and it looks a good size on your wrist.

Banned
    It's a beauty , I'm actually a fan of the larger new air king which is now 40mm . I love the colours on the dial , green and yellow writing which adds something to the watch .

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    I bought almost the same watch (but with stainless steel engine turned bezel) for my wife as an anniversary gift a couple of years back...I wore it for a while before having it resized and I must say it did feel very nice on the wrist - ultimately too small for my 7.25 wrists, but there was a real classy and elegant feel to it...

unfortunately my wife isn't a very big watch wearer, so I get to see it in my watch box frequently
    That’s a great looking watch! I like the longer lugs on the older models.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I tend to mostly wear this watch on special occasions when wearing a suit. It’s smaller size is perfect for slipping under a shirt cuff.

That is a very nice Air King, that model is very similar in looks to the modern Explorer 1. Same appearance and movement (??) for less money, I could go for that.

Master
    I like this smaller version more than the current version. However, it suffers the same (in my view) problem as the current version, that is the shiny numbers. Shame as that point aside, it's a watch I'd love to own.

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    Hi all.

Been a while since I posted on TZ. Took a break from watches in general but of course that never lasts. :-)

Thought I’d post something about my Air-King. I know many feel this model is too small but this one holds a special significance for me. My wife gifted it to me on our wedding night. The case back was engraved with both of our names and wedding date by Rolex.

I didn’t know too much about Rolexes at the time, except for Subs and GMTs, so once I received it I started researching the history of the Air-King model. I genuinely love it now and I really like the feel of it on the wrist. I’ve had so many watches over the years and modern watches all have a heft to them while this does the opposite and feels light as a feather on the wrist which is a nice change.

I don’t think it’s too small on my 6.75inch wrist either. Would say it’s pretty much spot on. It’s the 34mm model. The sunburst dial is great too.

Here are some (rubbish) pics. Would be great to see some other smaller Air-King variants owned by forum members too. I wasn’t too pleased with the new dial and size of the most recent model, while inline with modern trends seems to have lost everything that it stood for IMO.

The 5500 I foolishly sold to finance an Explorer 1.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    Hi all.

You have great taste sir. Impeccable and, as a fellow stalk-wristed 6.75, I'm envious.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    The 5500 I foolishly sold to finance an Explorer 1.

That’s a beauty! If it helps at all we’ve all made mistakes selling the wrong one.

Master
    What is the air kings purpose/target market?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Clearly those who have replied to this thread...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Clearly those who have replied to this thread...
    Clearly didn’t understand the question

Diver?
    Pilot?
    Racing?

Blog Entries
    Time to go vintage on this one. Hope my little review is fun to read and gives some history that I’ve been able to gleen.

REVIEW: Rolex Air-King Date (vintage)

This is mine from 1978 (Not a typo)

Craftsman

Diver?
    Pilot?
    Racing?
    It's definitely not a diver or racing and doesn't have a particular aviation/pilot function/style...I'd class it as an everyday elegant or dress watch - I reckon that is purpose and market enough

Craftsman
    The air king is a nice looking watch

My guess is people with arms and a desire to know the time on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by el marinero View Post
    That is a very nice Air King, that model is very similar in looks to the modern Explorer 1. Same appearance and movement (??) for less money, I could go for that.
    It's quite a bit thicker and therefore heavier than the Explorer being based on the Milgauss case (including the iron cage).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    My guess is people with arms and a desire to know the time on a regular basis.
    Official tag line straight from the Rolex catalogue

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Time to go vintage on this one. Hope my little review is fun to read and gives some history that I’ve been able to gleen.

Thanks for the post and the link to that review. That’s a true stunner and real sentimental value too.

Master

Diver?
    Pilot?
    Racing?
    Ruling the air.

It's a watch. It doesn't need to be anything more.

Craftsman
    not too small at all! fits you well, these smaller models don't get enough love!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

My dad has the same, a real beauty.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Used Air Kings offer perhaps the best value Rolex going ...