closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AD discomfort.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    30 years of practice at walking into a shop and exiting with a purchase appears to have made you an expert on other people's customer service expectations.
    Certainly expert enough to wheel out the wtf's and assertions about girlfriends motivations.
    You must be the pinnacle of big time that nobody else has reached. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by davidalexander1968 View Post
    "
    WTF is this need to feel or be treated "Special" when spending some cash. The need to have the "Experience". D
    I dont get this, ALL shopping should be a pleasant experience.
    I expect to be treated courteously and professionally in ALL shops, its a shame that customer service is so lacking in this country.
    As to the AD experience, its a bit of a Pretty Woman scenario, spending a substantial amount, why would you not wanted to be treated like royalty.

Master
    I'm reminded of the reservoir dogs debate about tipping and what was expected of the waitress to deserve a decent tip.

There's a balance to be struck between polite/professional and effusive fawning.

The former is reasonable to expect anywhere but most certainly in a luxury product environment; the latter is viewed by most as transparent and vulgar.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I have been to Watches of Switzerland in Manchester a couple of times. The salesman was the same on both occasions and was very friendly and enthusiastic.

I asked to see one model but he was happy to bring out all the Panerai and IWC watches they had for me to try on, despite me saying I was just looking. The offer of interest free was very tempting and if I was in a suitable financial position, I wouldn't hesitate going back to buy from him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice

Perception

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I'm reminded of the reservoir dogs debate about tipping and what was expected of the waitress to deserve a decent tip.

There's a balance to be struck between polite/professional and effusive fawning.

The former is reasonable to expect anywhere but most certainly in a luxury product environment; the latter is viewed by most as transparent and vulgar.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Yes, that very famous scene pretty much captures the devil in the detail. Most of us when we walk in to a luxury goods store will get a hello or a nod either from the door staff or salesperson, i think that would be courteous and set the tone, i would not be expecting anything else but after that it is down to our own perceptions of expectation and how important that is to you.

D.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidalexander1968 View Post
    As a fellow 50 year old this is just my take on the "Experience" that some buyers feel they should be receiving.

Been buying watches from AD etc for over 30 years and never expected red carpet treatment or exclusive use of the vip suite with a glass of champagne to soften the blow of paying out £££.

Just simply wanted to get the item, walk out and enjoy. Paying out ££££ on a watch is frivolous enough in the world we live in without having to expect some frivolous experience.

just my take on this.

D.
    Not 50 yet judging by your username-old enough without wishing another year added on!
    And I'm 1969 birth year incase you think I'm being ageist.

Apprentice

50yrs

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Not 50 yet judging by your username-old enough without wishing another year added on!
    And I'm 1969 birth year incase you think I'm being ageist.

Fast approaching should have been my wording but certainly getting up in the morning feels like 50++.

D

You are fast approaching 50 posts too. Hallelujah.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I've been in Michael Spiers in Exeter numerous times now and always welcomed, a pleasure really weather buying or browsing.
    Totally agree, they are excellent and very welcoming.I bought my wife a ring in their first, she was given the whole champagne treatment.

I bought a nice watch from them last year, they made me a builders tea at my request, fantastic service. I was in my work gear too (usually I am. Lol ).

Another AD, I bought a watch from, were rude, patronising and unfriendly, had better service at the self service till in Sainsbury's. Not that bothered as I liked the watch at the time but good service cost nothing. I would not buy then again to be fair, unless they really had something I wanted.

Craftsman
    I have had mixed experience's

Long story short.

Went into one - with intention of buying 5 (work related) Rolex watches - and got told "yeah that's good" but we have a loyal base & not that keen really on helping you (well that's impression I left with)

Went into another - that sounds great - let me get the manager and see how we can help (by the way see you have your family with you, can I buy you breakfast?)

Bottom line is ended up buying 10 from said AD for work - but just goes to show the difference

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    I have been to Watches of Switzerland in Manchester a couple of times. The salesman was the same on both occasions and was very friendly and enthusiastic.

I asked to see one model but he was happy to bring out all the Panerai and IWC watches they had for me to try on, despite me saying I was just looking. The offer of interest free was very tempting and if I was in a suitable financial position, I wouldn't hesitate going back to buy from him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    +1
    very friendly here. were very happy to show me some ridiculous patek's just for interest. Even invited me to come to a patek evening event after I said I'm more into Lange!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    That was my experience at the old bond street rolex AD. They made it quite clear that they wanted to see the back of me due the the Arab couple sat waiting for me to finish, even went as far as to be rather derogative about my speedmaster and how much superior their rolex were. Doesn't make me want to bother visiting an AD again.
    Well, I recently bought a SS Sub Date from the Rolex Boutique on Old Bond Street.

When I first popped in several months ago it was just to enquire about availability and despite the fact that I was dressed like a tramp (albeit a tramp wearing a Damasko DC56Si), and that they were serving what appeared to be a wealthy Japanese couple spending a great deal of money at the next desk, I felt I was treated very courteously. They explained that I could be put on their list and that I might have to wait about six months or so. They allowed me to try on various Rolexes they did have in stock, even though it was very clear that I would not be buying them.

I only had to wait about three months before getting the call from them to advise that my watch had come in.

The collection experience was superb. Again, I was dressed in a tee-shirt, scruffy jeans and trainers but they didn't act in any sort of patronising manner. I was seated, offered a very good cup of filter coffee and the watch was presented to me and sized etc. I had no issues with hang-tags or stickers etc. They simply asked whether I wanted all the stickers left on or removed. As I bought the watch to wear and not to flip I asked them to remove all the stickers. They even gave me a Rolex-branded pouch to put my Damasko in for the trip home as I wanted to wear the Rolex. I had a nice chat with the manager about my watch collection and he was obviously enthusiastic about his own collection (which did include other makes).

The handover was not rushed at all and personally I appreciated the experience (I would say enjoyed but perhaps that sounds a bit weird!).

When I got home I noticed that one of the bracelet screw heads had been very slightly damaged when the bracelet was sized. In truth it was very minor and barely visible but I went back in and they inserted a new screw without any issue at all.

If I were in the market for another Rolex I would definitely go back there.

I think that when one is buying a luxury product that is not one of life's necessities that the buying experience should be a cut above buying a pint of milk or a newspaper.

Jack

Great post Jack, thankyou

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    It happens in most places and i have found it worst in car dealer showrooms even in the 21st century.

To name and shame my local Audi dealer in Preston just think you are a time waster even when you are serious about spending £20 to £30 on a car.

As a result i would never walk in to an Audi showroom ever again.
    Well, if you're expecting to buy an Audi for £20 to £30 I would think you are a time waster too!

Did you offer them two £20 notes and ask for a tenner in change....?

(Apologies - just couldn't help myself)

Master
    Blog Entries
    If I'm window shopping I tend to be dressed down because I don't work in a town centre so it's a weekend thing, and I've had more good experiences than bad.

WOS in Cardiff didn't want to know when I asked to see a reverse, they asked if I had made an appointment etc (the store was empty). I folded my arms while chatting to the chap and he clocked the AP sticking out from under my cuff and suddenly it was all change.

Sad fact of life...

Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    Well, if you're expecting to buy an Audi for £20 to £30 I would think you are a time waster too!

Did you offer them two £20 notes and ask for a tenner in change....?

(Apologies - just couldn't help myself)
    Audi are particularly bad. We bought our last brand new BMW and Mercedes before that after actually trying to buy an Audi and they wouldn’t give us the time of day.

Now my friend is the Franchise director for Audi and my other friend is a sales manager, they worked hard for me and we just bought a brand new S3, and a superb deal.

Such a shame, but seems often it’s “who you know”

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    It happens in most places and i have found it worst in car dealer showrooms even in the 21st century.

To name and shame my local Audi dealer in Preston just think you are a time waster even when you are serious about spending £20 to £30 on a car.

As a result i would never walk in to an Audi showroom ever again.
    I presume this was a model car, of some sort?

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I presume this was a model car, of some sort?
    It's been a while since you bought a model car in a dealership, clearly!

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    It's been a while since you bought a model car in a dealership, clearly!

M
    I don't think I've ever bought one. Been given a few free when buying a car...

Master
    Bad retail experiences exist in almost every sector whether it's Watches, cars, motorbikes. There's often a level of expectation that the dealer fails to meet for a variety of reasons.

Many are because of a lack of basic training of staff.

One that sticks out for me was a young, pretty sales assistant at Ernest Jones in Derby. I enquired if they had the new SM300 that I could have a look at. She said "yes, there's one in the window". I didn't bother.

They’re shops. Simple as that. They Manager usually doesn’t own the company, so I doubt they get any more excited than the girl on the checkouts does when you buy a crate of lager. I don’t know why anyone thinks they are any differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    They’re shops. Simple as that. They Manager usually doesn’t own the company, so I doubt they get any more excited than the girl on the checkouts does when you buy a crate of lager. I don’t know why anyone thinks they are any differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not all the shops are the same, not all shop managers are the same, not all shop assistants are the same.

I worked retail for a decade, and every customer I tried to give as much attention or space as they wanted, and as much enthusiasm for their purchase as seemed appropriate, no matter if they were spending a fiver or a grand, always with as much good humour and friendliness as was possible. I loved that job, I loved the product, and I loved my customers, and the majority of my colleagues were the same.

There are plenty of people looking for retail jobs; if managers hire goodlooking but bored staff, that's their choice, not an inevitability.

Given how much sitting around is involved in retail, staff can be educated in the product pretty quickly if management can be bothered to make it happen. An enthusiastic manager will enthuse their staff. A manager promoted beyond their abilities or disillusioned by time, probably not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Not all the shops are the same, not all shop managers are the same, not all shop assistants are the same.

I worked retail for a decade, and every customer I tried to give as much attention or space as they wanted, and as much enthusiasm for their purchase as seemed appropriate, no matter if they were spending a fiver or a grand, always with as much good humour and friendliness as was possible. I loved that job, I loved the product, and I loved my customers, and the majority of my colleagues were the same.

There are plenty of people looking for retail jobs; if managers hire goodlooking but bored staff, that's their choice, not an inevitability.

Given how much sitting around is involved in retail, staff can be educated in the product pretty quickly if management can be bothered to make it happen. An enthusiastic manager will enthuse their staff. A manager promoted beyond their abilities or disillusioned by time, probably not.
    I agree with nearly everything you say but there is something unethical and unfair when someone who is anonymous makes an accusation against a business which can affect their lively hoods. They won't see this and won't reply so we have only one side of the story. The complainant should take it up with the manager before slagging them off here and naming them.

I went into Ann Summers and asked for pre owned toys and was met with a snooty attitude and only offered new ones. I wasn't even offered a glass of Lambrini!

Shoddy service from the Oxford branch. Avoid at all costs.