timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AD discomfort.

Master
    Blog Entries

AD discomfort.

Went into an AD.

The atmosphere was very stiff. Couldn't get out the door fast enough.

I don't know what kind of atmosphere they seek to create but I didn't find it comfortable.

A high end shop which I guess look to make an exclusive atmosphere. I guess I wasn't their target.
    Last edited by Montello; 18th October 2017 at 00:21.

Did they offer you a drink ?

I spent 15mins in my local AD on Saturday and they did their best to make me and my girlfriend feel very unwelcome,we got the impression that they felt we were wasting their time

I suppose someone coming in and buying a watch/spending thousands is a bit annoying when it involves actually speaking to someone and filling out paperwork etc

The famous AD experience :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Went into AD

I don't know what kind of atmosphere they seek to create but I didn't find it comfortable.
    That was my experience at the old bond street rolex AD. They made it quite clear that they wanted to see the back of me due the the Arab couple sat waiting for me to finish, even went as far as to be rather derogative about my speedmaster and how much superior their rolex were. Doesn't make me want to bother visiting an AD again.
    Last edited by hafle; 18th October 2017 at 07:49.

I've been in Michael Spiers in Exeter numerous times now and always welcomed, a pleasure really weather buying or browsing.

Master
    If you don't like a dealer, don't use them. Simple as that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Quite so, although imo sharing both positive and negative experiences is valuable to the community.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Did they offer you a drink ?
    Nope, I didn't stay long.

Security guard was very polite.
    Last edited by Montello; 18th October 2017 at 00:19.

Nope. Four of them standing chatting looking down their noses ....

letterbox treatment?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Never rated ADs - use greys and second hand dealers, usually people who care about their business and are not Alan Sugar rejects trying to eek out a living selling watches to people they regard as scumbags.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    letterbox treatment?
    What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    What does that mean?
    Post your address on the forum and you’ll find out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    What does that mean?
    Special delivery of faecal nature.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Special delivery of faecal nature.
    My favourite kind of special delivery, followed by a new watch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Quite so, although imo sharing both positive and negative experiences is valuable to the community.
    Trouble being we are only hearing one side of the story. Working in an AD's shop does not necessarily make you a bad and insensitive person.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I'm a big fan of "name and shame". However, "I went into an AD and I was uncomfortable" isn't very valuable to anyone. I've been into very many ADs that were great, and a small few ADs that were less than great. The latter weren't worth a second thought and definitely didn't make me feel anything.

Apprentice

End result.

Never quite understood why some people make such a big thing of the AD experience and looking for the bells and whistles because you are dropping £££ in the till, who cares, the staff dont. You are just another sales target and they want your cash.

Quite simply get in, drop your cash and walk out with your watch to enjoy. A cheap glass of prosecco and some small talk does not make the watch work or look any better.

End result, you get the watch.

D.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davidalexander1968 View Post
    Never quite understood why some people make such a big thing of the AD experience and looking for the bells and whistles because you are dropping £££ in the till, who cares, the staff dont. You are just another sales target and they want your cash.

Quite simply get in, drop your cash and walk out with your watch to enjoy. A cheap glass of prosecco and some small talk does not make the watch work or look any better.

End result, you get the watch.

D.
    Simply put. Nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    That was my experience at the old bond street rolex AD. They made it quite clear that they wanted to see the back of me due the the Arab couple sat waiting for me to finish, even went as far as to be rather derogative about my speedmaster and how much superior their rolex were. Doesn't make me want to bother visiting an AD again.
    Next time that I went I would have worn a Timex and asked about part ex.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

As a non local, I visited Fraser Hart In York yesterday.

They had Exp1, EXP2, Deepsea black plus all the Datejusts in the world.

I went in to try the EXP on and they were friendly, welcoming and made me feel appreciated. I was offered a seat and a drink as they showed me the explorer. They told me some history on the explorer and despite finding the Watch itself slightly underwhelming, their service was everything I’d expect. They then brought out an EXP2 to let me see in comparison. Very helpful!

I’d definitely return.

Definitely not like that in Mallorys in Bath.

Been in there numerous times and each time they were very friendly and very knowledgeable.

Even went in there once when they were extremely busy and ended up trying on virtually all of their Panerai range and made it clear from the start that I wouldn't be buying today. Nothing was too much trouble. Even offered me a glass of bubbly.

Mark

Went into an AD.

A high end shop which I guess look to make an exclusive atmosphere. I guess I wasn't their target.

It's part of the reason JCB is keen to grow online - for a lot of young customers he feels that ADs are fussy and stiff and just not the sort of experience that will make them spend money.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My post wasn't a criticism of the AD more of an observation that I didn't "fit" with the retail experience they have created.

They are clearly a very successful business so what they are doing obviously works.

I often feel similar discomfort when buying designer clothes and when I first arrive at an expensive hotel.

Personally I prefer it when shop assistants don't jump on you the minute you walk through the door. I've feel that shop assistants have become more relaxed in recent years, and are happy to give people their space. Even car salesmen! If I want assistance, I will speak to them, and only if they are then unhelpful will I feel like I've had 'bad service'.

This isn't going to be very helpful because I can't remember who has the shop I was in but...
    I only really go into ADs when I'm in Manchester waiting for my wife's car to be serviced. I have a mooch around the watch shops (new and used) around King St, Royal Exchange etc and mostly have an unpleasant experience in the "ADs". To be fair to them I'm killing time and don't pretend to be really interested in buying anything. One of the second hand shops in the Royal Exchange is better and they're normally OK having a chat and letting me look at a couple of watches I have no interest in buying.

The one exception to the ADs is the one that's one big shop split into about four sub-shops. From memory it's Breitling on the left as you look at them from the street, them something else, then Omega and Rolex on the end. I went in there a while ago asking about a strap for a JeanRichard I had and they were helpful. Then I just happened to mention that I had an Omega as well at which point they brought over the manager of the Omega section who was thoroughly pleasant and spent some time telling me all about the rather nice De Ville Tourbillon they had in.

Craftsman
    I have found the manager (i think) at the mappin and webb in manchester to be quite rude, apparently you need to spend ££££ on diamonds to be allowed to shop there. Other staff have been nice but not very knowledgeable, I was surprised they couldn't get a manual wind reverso of any kind in.

The whole 'waiting list' thing means that by the time you turn up to buy your watch the deal is done, it is just a quick collection/resize and you are on your way

I know many will think I am naive but I hoped it would be a nice part of my birthday experience, a nice relaxed atmosphere, a chat about the brand, maybe a glass of something (who knows a little present? Rolex cheesegrater? etc) I was hoping to see/try on a few other watches, I even thought about treating my girlfriend if something came up

We were in-out in what felt like fifteen minutes, we were sat down at the Omega desk (my girlfriend requested we go to the Rolex area to look at the watches/take photos but was ignored) the coffin was bought out and we were not shown the watch until I had paid, the paperwork was then filled out and the saleswoman spelt my name/address incorrectly, it was quite obvious it was all a big hurry, my girlfriend mentioned the spelling and so the mistakes were scrubbed out and written again, my warranty card was now illegible :)

When the watch was removed from the coffin and handed over it had been stripped of all stickers and time set in advance of my arrival, I suspect it had been on display in the window, I asked if I could keep the coffin and was flat refused and this was taken away

At no point were we offered a drink etc, I am quite tight and was hoping to get away with not buying a Costa afterwards! ;)

As the box etc was being packed into a bag I was told about the length of warranty which I questioned and she confirmed that she had made a mistake and it was 5 years, also I was told several times that the service would not be required for ten years (I just nodded along at this point)

As the saleswoman appeared to be wrapping things up before moving on to the next customer I asked if there was any chance the bracelet could be resized?? i gave detailed instructions on what I wanted (explained with photographs on my phone of my other Submariner bracelet)

With the watch gone we felt a little uncomfortable and so we walked over to the Rolex area and we were met with a look up/down by the salesman and then ignored, I showed my girlfriend a few watches in the display case but I was informed thstbshe wouldnt buy a watch here if it was the last place on earth.

The watch was very quickly returned to me and they had ignored my instructions and all links removed from one side of the clasp, when I explained I got the impression their patience was now wearing thin, by now we were sat in silence waiting for the watch to return so I could be shown the door

As soon as the watch was back and on the wrist it felt as though the security guard was already holding the door open

I was very pleased with the watch and that was the main thing for me but my girlfriend was quite upset, i explained that 6.5k was a lot for us to spend on a watch but to the staff in that dealer it was small change, they are in the lucky position where the watches sell themselves, I was probably taking a desirable watch from a better customer/friend of theirs

We later visited an art gallery just around the corner and were given the full 'experience' buying a £800 print including a personal tour through the gallery, champagne etc

Looking back I cant really fault the service too much, they supplied the watch and did nothing wrong and for that I am grateful, I now know my expectations were unrealistic perhaps from reading various threads on this forum for years

Master
    It happens in most places and i have found it worst in car dealer showrooms even in the 21st century.

To name and shame my local Audi dealer in Preston just think you are a time waster even when you are serious about spending £20 to £30 on a car.

As a result i would never walk in to an Audi showroom ever again.

Master
    You missed out 'shame them online' before 'Simple'.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    Definitely not like that in Mallorys in Bath.

Been in there numerous times and each time they were very friendly and very knowledgeable.

Even went in there once when they were extremely busy and ended up trying on virtually all of their Panerai range and made it clear from the start that I wouldn't be buying today. Nothing was too much trouble. Even offered me a glass of bubbly.

Mark
    Yes, they're really good. I can recommend them

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    The whole 'waiting list' thing means that by the time you turn up to buy your watch the deal is done, it is just a quick collection/resize and you are on your way

[...]

We later visited an art gallery just around the corner and were given the full 'experience' buying a £800 print including a personal tour through the gallery, champagne etc

Looking back I cant really fault the service too much, they supplied the watch and did nothing wrong and for that I am grateful, I now know my expectations were unrealistic perhaps from reading various threads on this forum for years
    Lovely -- not.

Which AD was this may I ask?

Grand Master
    Nope, I didn't stay long.

I used to find that when I visited Berrys in Leeds back in the days when they had the Rolex dealership. Very stuffy, but the big guy on the door was friendly!.

Paul

Master
    sorry OP your experience with your AD wasnt all it should have been,i too would have been miffed..i have been to my local rolex AD Baker Bros in Bedford a couple of times and have to say they are very pleasant and competant and very easy on the eye[the girls that is].my wife came with me when i bought my sub .bubbly was offered but declined in favour of tea[lightweights].missus not easily impressed but we found it was a really good experience for both of us.they really made the purchase very pleasant.the doorman there is huge.i am 6ft and 16 stone but i felt like an undernourished dwarf next to him.he gave me a hard stare when we walked in but i dont blame him for that as i look like trouble
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 18th October 2017 at 12:45.

I know many will think I am naive but I hoped it would be a nice part of my birthday experience, a nice relaxed atmosphere, a chat about the brand, maybe a glass of something (who knows a little present? Rolex cheesegrater? etc) I was hoping to see/try on a few other watches, I even thought about treating my girlfriend if something came up

We were in-out in what felt like fifteen minutes, we were sat down at the Omega desk (my girlfriend requested we go to the Rolex area to look at the watches/take photos but was ignored) the coffin was bought out and we were not shown the watch until I had paid, the paperwork was then filled out and the saleswoman spelt my name/address incorrectly, it was quite obvious it was all a big hurry, my girlfriend mentioned the spelling and so the mistakes were scrubbed out and written again, my warranty card was now illegible :)

When the watch was removed from the coffin and handed over it had been stripped of all stickers and time set in advance of my arrival, I suspect it had been on display in the window, I asked if I could keep the coffin and was flat refused and this was taken away

At no point were we offered a drink etc, I am quite tight and was hoping to get away with not buying a Costa afterwards! ;)

As the box etc was being packed into a bag I was told about the length of warranty which I questioned and she confirmed that she had made a mistake and it was 5 years, also I was told several times that the service would not be required for ten years (I just nodded along at this point)

As the saleswoman appeared to be wrapping things up before moving on to the next customer I asked if there was any chance the bracelet could be resized?? i gave detailed instructions on what I wanted (explained with photographs on my phone of my other Submariner bracelet)

With the watch gone we felt a little uncomfortable and so we walked over to the Rolex area and we were met with a look up/down by the salesman and then ignored, I showed my girlfriend a few watches in the display case but I was informed thstbshe wouldnt buy a watch here if it was the last place on earth.

The watch was very quickly returned to me and they had ignored my instructions and all links removed from one side of the clasp, when I explained I got the impression their patience was now wearing thin, by now we were sat in silence waiting for the watch to return so I could be shown the door

As soon as the watch was back and on the wrist it felt as though the security guard was already holding the door open

I was very pleased with the watch and that was the main thing for me but my girlfriend was quite upset, i explained that 6.5k was a lot for us to spend on a watch but to the staff in that dealer it was small change, they are in the lucky position where the watches sell themselves, I was probably taking a desirable watch from a better customer/friend of theirs

I can't work out if this is a joke or not? 🤔

Being pretty scruffy, I feel out of place in any building that is making an effort to look good, like a tourist wandering around a stately home. One time, after an eternity gazing at the window displays, I popped into Wempe on Bond St to enquire about something which would have been right at the very bottom end of their range (a Nomos Orion) Nonetheless, I was treated very courteously - no, they didn't have it in stock now, but if I were to return on such and such a date etc etc - and here, years later, I still can feel the gratitude for not being given the sniffy behaviour I was expecting and fearing.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    I can't work out if this is a joke or not? 🤔
    As long as you enjoyed reading it does it matter? :)

As long as you enjoyed reading it does it matter? :)

I did enjoy reading it actually! I'm guessing it's partially true and partially tongue in cheek ;)

Master
    I called into the originally named AD some years ago whilst on holiday and was treated politely and respectfully at all times. Tried on a few PAMs and had a nice coffee.
    Maybe you got them on a bad day 😣😣

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    A mixed bag for me.

One AD where I went in to enquire about a couple of patek's was rather dismissive. I was told there are no waiting lists as each watch is allocated to a customer.

The other AD I dealt with was initially to get onto their BLNR waiting list. Very pleasant, and added me on to their list. A small error on their part (added me to the list without being specific to the blnr) led to them offering me a 116710ln and ensuring I got on to the blnr list. Upon collecting the watch they were all to happy to chat, offered me drinks etc and could not apologise enough about the small mistake. I couldn't care less as I was able to pick up another lovely Rolex.

I guess in most cases with AD's it's "if the face fits"

A few year ago in Pragnells, whilst me and my brother were seated and in the process of being dealt by a salesman (who was very professional), a sales 'lady' walking past gave the up/down look, almost noting how we looked in case we legged it with a posh watch. Upon her return, I had taken my jacket off and she looked at my wrist seeing my Submariner and gave a pleasant (but slightly awkward) smile as she was walking back. She probably thought it was either stolen or fake.

The buying experience was first class otherwise and we were given a GMT Ice to try on which was approx. £250,000. Slightly more than the GMT Coke my brother was buying.

I have made three purchases from WoS and the salesman I dealt with the first time round, I asked to see the second time round. He was very professional, mature and without any sales drivel. By the third purchase he had left and I dealt with a saleswoman who although polite and professional, seemed almost to rush the buying process. She is yet to call me regarding the new Seadweller since May!

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I'm a big fan of "name and shame". However, "I went into an AD and I was uncomfortable" isn't very valuable to anyone. I've been into very many ADs that were great, and a small few ADs that were less than great. The latter weren't worth a second thought and definitely didn't make me feel anything.
    They are going to be subtle, it’s more what they don’t do or say, that gives that uncomfortable feeling.

Apprentice

full experience

"I was very pleased with the watch and that was the main thing for me but my girlfriend was quite upset, i explained that 6.5k was a lot for us to spend on a watch but to the staff in that dealer it was small change, they are in the lucky position where the watches sell themselves, I was probably taking a desirable watch from a better customer/friend of theirs" from Montybaber earlier.

Maybe your girlfriend was upset because you were spending £££ on a watch and not on her.

"We later visited an art gallery just around the corner and were given the full 'experience' buying a £800 print including a personal tour through the gallery, champagne etc" from Montybaber earlier.

WTF is this need to feel or be treated "Special" when spending some cash. The need to have the "Experience".

When we go into the AD we all know what we are after, we know the watch spec and have probably looked at more images of the watch online than of the usual porn late at night. We know what we are getting, so i do not need some history chat on the watch from the sales person or to sit taking pictures of it on my wrist. Dropping £££ on a watch or a piece of art etc does not make you Big time.

AD's are no different to Tesco or Aldi, they have the goods you want, you go in, spend, come home....done

D

Blog Entries
    "I was very pleased with the watch and that was the main thing for me but my girlfriend was quite upset, i explained that 6.5k was a lot for us to spend on a watch but to the staff in that dealer it was small change, they are in the lucky position where the watches sell themselves, I was probably taking a desirable watch from a better customer/friend of theirs" from Montybaber earlier.

Maybe your girlfriend was upset because you were spending £££ on a watch and not on her.

"We later visited an art gallery just around the corner and were given the full 'experience' buying a £800 print including a personal tour through the gallery, champagne etc" from Montybaber earlier.

WTF is this need to feel or be treated "Special" when spending some cash. The need to have the "Experience".

When we go into the AD we all know what we are after, we know the watch spec and have probably looked at more images of the watch online than of the usual porn late at night. We know what we are getting, so i do not need some history chat on the watch from the sales person or to sit taking pictures of it on my wrist. Dropping £££ on a watch or a piece of art etc does not make you Big time.

AD's are no different to Tesco or Aldi, they have the goods you want, you go in, spend, come home....done

D
    Yes, they are.

I've only bought one new watch from an official dealer, when I was quite a bit younger and saved hard to get my first Rolex, a 14060M. A good seller should recognize the different customers and act accordingly. For me this was quite different than buying some groceries at Tesco's, Aldi or what have you.

Never again for me, I'm quite content with the treatment from other sellers and the polite people from this forum over the years :)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Apprentice

Saving hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Yes, they are.

I've only bought one new watch from an official dealer, when I was quite a bit younger and saved hard to get my first Rolex, a 14060M. A good seller should recognize the different customers and act accordingly. For me this was quite different than buying some groceries at Tesco's, Aldi or what have you.

Never again for me, I'm quite content with the treatment from other sellers and the polite people from this forum over the years :)
    People save hard every day just to put food on the table or pay the bills because we are buying some luxury toy does not mean i should expect anything.

I will say again, go in, drop your cash, walk out with the goods, enjoy and yes just like Tesco etc.

D.

I was in WF in the Royal Exchange two months back to see a Mk XV and despite being smartly dressed was completely ignored for 10 minutes by the 4 staff there, two of whom were serving one customer. No excuse whatsoever.

I was in there again a week or so ago and this time was served, and the assistant commented on my IWC. I told him about my previous visit, and as a result had gone elsewhere to buy one.

Sweeping statement warning - generally those working in such shops are not on salaries which would stretch to owning many of the pieces they sell, so to take any superior attitude with customers is utterly misplaced. Some of the wealthiest people I know are the scruffiest!

Craftsman
    I have to agree with a few others in that, except for watches only available at ADs due to shortages, I simply don't value the AD experience as much as the often hefty discounts you can get online from grey market dealers or other retailers.

Apprentice

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I was in WF in the Royal Exchange two months back to see a Mk XV and despite being smartly dressed was completely ignored for 10 minutes by the 4 staff there, two of whom were serving one customer. No excuse whatsoever.

I was in there again a week or so ago and this time was served, and the assistant commented on my IWC. I told him about my previous visit, and as a result had gone elsewhere to buy one.

Sweeping statement warning - generally those working in such shops are not on salaries which would stretch to owning many of the pieces they sell, so to take any superior attitude with customers is utterly misplaced. Some of the wealthiest people I know are the scruffiest!
    Nowadays makes no difference how you are dressed. We maybe sometimes feel that if we are dressed a certain way(suited up etc) that we will receive a better service or maybe an upgrade on a flight etc but as the world has become more casual so has attitudes to service.

If you know what you are after when you get to the AD or WF etc, quite simply straight up to the sales person when you get in and get the job done.

Bought a Migauss GV couple of weeks ago, came straight from the gym into the AD, knew what i was after before i arrived, straight in to the sales person, no hanging around expecting someone to come to me , five minutes i was back out, watch in hand and no i was not getting chased by the police

D

Nowadays makes no difference how you are dressed. We maybe sometimes feel that if we are dressed a certain way(suited up etc) that we will receive a better service or maybe an upgrade on a flight etc but as the world has become more casual so has attitudes to service.

If you know what you are after when you get to the AD or WF etc, quite simply straight up to the sales person when you get in and get the job done.

Bought a Migauss GV couple of weeks ago, came straight from the gym into the AD, knew what i was after before i arrived, straight in to the sales person, no hanging around expecting someone to come to me , five minutes i was back out, watch in hand and no i was not getting chased by the police

D
    Drop me a line to remind me to buy your book when you've published it. It seems like I've got to 50 yrs old and possibly gone about it all the wrong way.

People save hard every day just to put food on the table or pay the bills because we are buying some luxury toy does not mean i should expect anything.

I will say again, go in, drop your cash, walk out with the goods, enjoy and yes just like Tesco etc.

D.
    Do you accept the possibility that other people may have different feelings and thoughts to you, that may mean they have different priorities in terms of the experience of buying a watch?

Apprentice

Too old.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Drop me a line to remind me to buy your book when you've published it. It seems like I've got to 50 yrs old and possibly gone about it all the wrong way.
    As a fellow 50 year old this is just my take on the "Experience" that some buyers feel they should be receiving.

Been buying watches from AD etc for over 30 years and never expected red carpet treatment or exclusive use of the vip suite with a glass of champagne to soften the blow of paying out £££.

Just simply wanted to get the item, walk out and enjoy. Paying out ££££ on a watch is frivolous enough in the world we live in without having to expect some frivolous experience.

just my take on this.

D.