closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you report this to the police?

Would you report this to the police?

Doing 50 in a 50 limit, (accurate) on a dual carriageway. Car overtakes me doing, (I'm guessing), around 55. Just as he gets in front to me a guy in a blue estate overtakes me, dives into the inside lane narrowly missing my car, undertakes the first car, then immediately back into the outside lane, (there's nothing in the inside lane in front of him). This at seriously stupid speed.

Doesn't brake, (well, no brake lights), at the roundabout a hundred yards ahead where he completely looses control. Skids onto the nearside pavement, spins round twice back across the dual carriageway and ends up with his rear end across the central reservation just yards before a pedestrian crossing and forcing cars travelling in the opposite side of the carriageway to break to avoid him. He doesn't get out of his car to check anything, simply drives off the central reservation, carries on up the outside lane of the dual carriageway and does a U turn at traffic lights where there is a clear 'No U Turn' sign, without stopping to check for traffic!

Had anyone been on the pavement at the time they'd have been seriously injured.

All this caught on my dash cam in high definition.

So, if you were in my position, would you report this to the Police?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

No.

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    No.

M
    Ha, ha, WTF? Really? Justify your answer, please.

Yes, and I'd download footage to a spare USB stick to handover as well.

I would, although what the police would actually do I dont know. Sounds like whoever it is needs to be off the roads, presume you have Reg No. and Make/Model although
    wouldnt be surprised if it was stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Ha, ha, WTF? Really? Justify your answer, please.
    WTF? Why?

M

I'd phone 101 and see what they say.

Craftsman
    Sounds like it was probably stolen and he was desperate to get away, idiot!

Certainly dangerous driving in my book. If he's not looked after his vehicle (no brakelights) chances are he's not insured either. I would see if you can upload the clip to the Police (they are increasingly asking for dashcam clips of dangerous drivers) You might take an uninsured, (banned)? driver off our streets.

No brake lights = probably uninsured?

WTF? Why?

M
    There's a difference between putting yourself at risk, and risking the lives of others. Are you so lacking in empathy that you can't see the dangers, the lives that could be changed, by that kind of behaviour?

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I'd phone 101 and see what they say.
    Have you ever tried getting through on 101? When I called I gave up with all the messages and phoned 999. I was following a car at the time (with footage on the dashcam) where I suspect that the driver was either drunk or on drugs - he'd almost collided with 4 oncoming cars during crazy overtakes forcing a couple of them off the road. He'd also been onto the verge 7 times in about 6 miles. Interest from the police = zero!

No. They're too busy searching for hate crimes on the net or practising their YMCA routines for the next Pride carnival. And no, I'm not knocking the police, I'm knocking what our political leaders are doing to them.

If it was my dashcam then yes I would. I despise reckless drivers and would like to see them banned for far longer than the law currently allows.

Even if no one got hurt this time, what about the next time? I don't want pricks like that driving near me and my kids.

In a similar vein:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...to-avoid-queue

Caught after dashcam footage was handed in.

I would.

Quote Originally Posted by farquare View Post
    No brake lights = probably uninsured?
    As an ex-police driver (call them intercepters now on TV) we stopped cars for minor issues like that to give them advice on getting bulbs replaced asap. As a routine we issued an HORT1 to them to produce their documents at a Police station.. surprising how many were uninsured. We didn't have ANPR then.

Yes. Dangerous nutter.

Apprentice
    I mean you could report it if you want to but are the cops actually going to do anything about it??

Could just be a waste of time on your end imo. You should report him but i don't think he will have any real consequences since they didnt see it with their own eyes and a wreck technically didnt occur.

Hello

It’s always worth reporting it in case this clown is encountered again. A quiet word could save him/her injuring themselves or others further down the line.

Master
    stick the video on youtube and tweet the link to the police. Seems to be how it is done a lot of the time these days (not that I agree with the use of twitter for such things, but that is life it seems)

Craftsman
    No, you will just cause yourself a lot of frustration, the Police will not care or be interested.
    They will be focused on investigating somebody who pulled a funny face at a lesbian or whether asking for a black coffee is racist or practicing for the nightshift dominoes league.
    Last edited by BadgerUK; 17th October 2017 at 18:36.

Not before I had posted the video on YouTube and linked it on my favourite watch forum.

But yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Have you ever tried getting through on 101? When I called I gave up with all the messages and phoned 999. I was following a car at the time (with footage on the dashcam) where I suspect that the driver was either drunk or on drugs - he'd almost collided with 4 oncoming cars during crazy overtakes forcing a couple of them off the road. He'd also been onto the verge 7 times in about 6 miles. Interest from the police = zero!
    Several times and I had to speak to three different forces to get some action.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Assuming he's damaged parts of the infastructure, I'd contact the local council as they may wish to recover damages from the driver / vehicle owner.
    They may then contact the police if they see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    stick the video on youtube and tweet the link to the police. Seems to be how it is done a lot of the time these days (not that I agree with the use of twitter for such things, but that is life it seems)

This ^^^^^

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I wouldn't report someone for throwing garbage on the ground but this is a completely different level. Uploading it on Youtube and sharing it around sounds good indeed. (am I a snitch?)

I would, if inclined, they can put a note against the reg number even if they don’t do anything specifically about this incident.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Sell it to one of those 'Worlds Most Dangerous / Village Idiot / Moron Driver' programmes they should pay a tidy fee..Maybe..

Would you report this to the police?

For me. It depends whether or not you’re willing to go to court. Not tomorrow. But in four or five months down the line...

The “if there’d have been any pedestrians etc...” doesn’t make any difference... but I know what you mean.

At the most it’s dangerous driving. Possibly more due care... but in any case, it’s all about whether you’re willing to take on the crusade and sit across the corridor from him outside the court

I would consider sending an anonymous crime stoppers online report in. Just in case the car is linked to something more serious. At least it would put the car in that location at that time. Which may help intelligence gathering.
    Last edited by Falcata; 17th October 2017 at 19:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    There's a difference between putting yourself at risk, and risking the lives of others. Are you so lacking in empathy that you can't see the dangers, the lives that could be changed, by that kind of behaviour?
    The OP asked if, in his position, I would report it to the Police.

Plenty of others have explained why I wouldn't.

Get off your high horse, you know nothing of me.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a stolen car or drunk driver.

The OP asked if, in his position, I would report it to the Police.

Plenty of others have explained why I wouldn't.

Get off your high horse, you know nothing of me.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Forget the high horse. When the OP asked the question you know perfectly well he was not polling you but wanted opinions. The only valid ‘no’ ( that is, the only post that came up with a possible reason not to),is above your post, at least if the video is made public.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    I’d just hand it over to Karl and his Magnificent Brick of Justice...
    Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    I’d just hand it over to Karl and his Magnificent Brick of Justice...
    Belter

Op snap uploads cam footage here. Maybe one in your region?

https://www.north-wales.police.uk/co...orting/op-snap

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

No, unless you have several completely independent witnesses including the queen, the Pope and your great great grandparents the Police won't be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    No, unless you have several completely independent witnesses including the queen, the Pope and your great great grandparents the Police won't be interested.
    There have been a few others that share your opinion however there's only one way of guaranteeing that the Police won't do anything and that's to not report it. Even if there's just a 10% chance of it being acted upon along with a subsequent conviction it's got to be worth the relatively minimal effort, in fact I'd go so far as to say that any witnesses should feel morally obliged to report it on the grounds that it may prevent a similar accident, with far worse an outcome, from happening again. Even without anyone being harmed in this particular incident it very much sounds like some street furniture was damaged, that's tax payers money being spent right there to repair it and the previous point about the council being interested is a very fair one.

Only if the footage proves speed of travel otherwise the police will definitely not bother investigating. They’ve even stopped looking into domestic burglaries these days!

Thanks all for the interesting comments. Before posting I'd already made an appointment with the local constabulary where I'll be handing over the video recording. I was interested to see what others would do in the circumstances.

To pick up on a few points. My dash cam records and displays in the video the date, time, longitude and latitude; and, critically, my speed of travel. So relatively easy for the police to reasonably estimate the guys speed. There were indeed other witness, the drivers and passengers of the vehicles travelling in both directions and who's number plates are very clearly visible in the video. The only damage to council property would seem to be tyre ruts on the grass of the central reservation and skid marks on the pavement and road so I don't think involving them will add any value in this case.

Whether the police will take any action remains to be seen. I'll let you know after I've spoken to them in the morning.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Well done sir, interested to hear what the police do.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Can you post up the video for us?

Definitely stick it on Youtube (We want to see it), then perhaps the papers might pick it up and if they do then the police are far more likely to have a look.

Blog Entries
    I would report it and that is my link in the chain done, if the police choose to do nothing about it, that is up to them. Tossers who drive like this are likely to drive this way regularly, they are a menace and there is a high statistical likelihood of them causing a serious or fatal accident and it is usually innocent people who suffer. If a cretin like this runs your mother, brother or sister over, how much do you think he would be ‘bovvered’? (I do not mean his brief expressing the scrote’s ‘sorrow’ in court!)
    Last edited by KavKav; 18th October 2017 at 07:21.

Yes. Absolutely

I wouldn't have handed it in.

I once witnessed a burglary and was threatened with prosecution if I didn't turn up to court on the most inconvenient day possible (I was reopening my shop the following day after a comprehensive refurbishment).

There's a reason for the saying "no good deed goes unpunished!"

I would report it.
    This person will likely end up killing or injuring someone sooner or later.
    I understand the reasons for people saying they would not go to the police, but should I ever be the victim of crime, I would like to think a kind sole would stop to help / report it helping catch the toe-rag.
    I think that the wider society has a role in helping fight crime. If more people stand up to crime it becomes harder for the criminals to succeed.

'sound of me getting down off my soap box'

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Forget the high horse. When the OP asked the question you know perfectly well he was not polling you but wanted opinions. The only valid ‘no’ ( that is, the only post that came up with a possible reason not to),is above your post, at least if the video is made public.
    "No" is perfectly valid, since he didn't offer a dilemma in his mind to discuss, as far as I could see, simply asked whether we'd report it to the Police in his position. I could have explained why I wouldn't, but I didn't think it worthwhile, to be honest, and others have followed up with the same basic reasoning I had, so it seems irrelevant to go back and explain it now.

The OP has, like everyone, made his own decision and that's fine. I can see both arguments, but my experience is that it'll be an utter waste of effort. If (and it's a big if, actually) he goes onto kill someone later, how is feeling that you told the Police any kind of consolation?

I'll be interested to hear what the Police do (or indeed could do).

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 18th October 2017 at 09:12.

"No" is perfectly valid, since he didn't offer a dilemma in his mind to discuss, as far as I could see, simply asked whether we'd report it to the Police in his position. I could have explained why I wouldn't, but I didn't think it worthwhile, to be honest, and others have followed up with the same basic reasoning I had, so it seems irrelevant to go back and explain it now.

The OP has, like everyone, made his own decision and that's fine. I can see both arguments, but my experience is that it'll be an utter waste of effort. If (and it's a big if, actually) he goes onto kill someone later, how is feeling that you told the Police any kind of consolation?

I'll be interested to hear what the Police do (or indeed could do).

M.
    I agree with most of your argument and also a previous statement that the police are more interested in pursuing victimless hate crime.
    Having recently been a victim and having spent a lot of my life in and around criminal justice establishments I am admittedly super cynical.