closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: iPad advice - the big one.

iPad advice - the big one.

Christmas is not too far off and Mrs JiaB is hinting that a new iPad would be welcome. Does a lot of art work using her current version 3 pad and I think she'll find the 12.9 version useful especially with Apples pencil.

Having checked Apples site it'll be close to £1k for a non cellular 12.9" 2017 version with a good chunk of memory. Having checked Apples refurb store I can get the 2015 version, again with whole lot of memory, for around £630 - big saving.

Can anyone who's had any experience with the larger pads advise what the real world difference is between the 2015 and 2017 versions? I've seen plenty of charts saying the newer version is faster but I'm not sure how that translates into day to day use. The camera is also bigger and better - she use's the camera a lot on her current pad and I'm guessing the larger 2015 pads camera will be be better than her v3 camera anyway...won't be used for outside pictures - look a bit silly with a giant tablet taking photo's!

Watching videos and films is a rare thing on iPads. So, guessing again, speed is not so important but maybe desirable for the arty processing stuff she'll do.

Thoughts appreciated :)

David

Master
    I might be wrong, but I think that the accuracy/lag/responsiveness of the pencil has been improved on the newer one.

The Apple Pencil does indeed work better with the new generation iPad Pro. Also, don't forget the 10.5-inch version - I use that one for work and it's excellent. Lighter and more portable than the 12.9 and the bezel is smaller than the old "smaller" iPad Pro so the screen is correspondingly bigger. I can't detect any lag at all with the Pencil although I admittedly use it for manuscript notes and simple diagrams rather than "art"!

Mrs Cain has the larger version from the previous generation and I strongly prefer my 10.5, it's a lot less unwieldy.

Master
    Another plug for the 10.5 version which I have. Also uses the new ios upgrade which is a bonus. Not sure the older models can fully use the facilities. Good camera and screen too.

Master
    There's a couple on SC - so snap one up if you can.

Not sure of the spec difference, etc but I had an iPad Air off Apple refurb and wouldn't hesitate in recommending it ... great service and as you said a fairly substantial saving

Master
    I have the new 10.5 and it does seem faster compared to a friends original 12.9 version.

Thanks for your thoughts folks.

I'm going to see what my Apple store has and see if the smaller 10.5" version might suit, but I suspect that it'll be the bigger one that'll fit her needs better.

I'd also picked up that this pencil affair worked better with the 2017 version than the earlier model - I don't suppose I'll be able to try the two larger pads side by side in the Apple shop either.

Bit more homework needed I think!

Finally, it seems John Lewis is offering a free 3 year warranty with the larger pad (maybe others too) that's a nice saving over Apples extended warranty and a comforting little blanket of security on what seem's a rather costly bit of kit.

Any other thoughts will be very welcome :)

David

I have the new 12” IPP, my wife inherited my old 12”IPP, the new one is faster, brighter & generally better, but the old one is pretty good. Can she not take 30 minutes in an Apple Store and test what she wants to do first?

Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
    Samuel Johnson

^^ She could Rob and she could then buy it herself...she's hinted she'd like an ipad and I've hinted she'll not get one, need some sort of surprise for Christmas!

Your comments pretty much confirm what I've read elsewhere when comparing the two versions though.

Master
    Literally got an iPad Pro 10.5 yesterday to replace my Air. Very snappy in use compared to the Air. I haven't bothered with the pencil or KB yet. The extra space you get from 10.5 over the 9.7 is noticeable and handy. I've tried the 12" in store and it is just too large for me for "normal portable" use hand held. I think you are using it more as a laptop replacement.