closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jaeger Reverso Grande GMT - Owner Experiences?

Jaeger Reverso Grande GMT - Owner Experiences?

Been giving some thought to acquiring a serious watch for day to day use and in my ever advancing years was seriously contemplating a JLC Reverso in a Grande sized case.

In particular I'm drawn to the GMT complication and the incredible detail as well as the 8 day movement. But it does look like a chunky case on some of the on-line photos and I wonder whether a regular Reverso would be better.

My other watches include a 44mm Panerai which gets little wrist time but also a 40mm sub, 36mm DJ and 40mm Carrera.

Obviously I'll need to view it and try it on but interested in the forum's views on this watch in terms of how it wears, how robust they are and just has it worked as an everyday watch.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Smokey

I have a friend who is a life long Jeweller and he has told me on countless occasions that JLC's are "delicate" compared to most other brands. I have nothing to back up what he says but he does know his stuff.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    That's a great choice, I've had the exact same watch 3 times . For me size was just a little on the small side but I do own a few large watches and rarely wore the Reverso so sold it here recently . My wrist is 7.25 inches - 18.5 cms in new money and I'd say most of my watches are 42mm , and in my opinion the JLC Grande Date GMT wears like a 40mm Rolex Sub size wise , lug to lug and thickness . In my opinion, this model is one of the last great Reverso made, quality somehow seems better than the newer models, just wind this model then a newer one and you'll see what I mean. Dial detail is fabulous on this model too , and the eight day movement .......Jesus I might have to buy another now .........oh and if you can get the bracelet version, which has one of the most comfortable bracelets out there and has on the go micro adjustment, cracking watch. But don't forget service costs, these aren't the cheapest to get serviced, but the movement is pretty robust for such a complicated watch .

I have the 'plain' old 8day power reserve (the one with the little porthole on the back of the case which displays a count down in days until you need to wind it again).
    Have no fear about size or wrist presence these grand Reverso are more than big enough (my wrist is anywhere between 8&1/8" and 8&1/4" and the watch never looks small) and while I can't talk about the complicated models mine certainly gives me the impression of robustness -albeit in a beautifully designed way-😎👍
    If you can find one on the bracelet then so much the better!
    Good hunting.
    Joe

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks for replies so far. I do love the look and feel of those bracelets on their own .....but I prefer the overall look of the watch on the classic brown croc strap.

Although I did read one of the reviews on line which did say that the watch wore better with the bracelet so shouldn't rule it out.

Of course if one comes up then I might be tempted but as I suspect they are around £1500 then I'll not be adding one!

Craftsman
    I have a Grand Reverso Ultra Thin Duo Face. It wears beautifully- l'm not sue how much deeper the GMT version is, but I think the proportions aren't all that different.
    Personally I'd go with the croc strap.
    I suspect that they probably are more delicate than some others; despite the watch being originally designed for polo players I don't think anyone these days would think it a sports watch - let alone for brick laying etc.

Craftsman
    its a big case, saying it wears like x,y,z doesn't mean much because it shouldn't be worn as a big watch. IMO these larger reverso models don't work unless you have a massive wrist. It should be a small refined watch, if you don't like small watches don't try and force it into a bigger size, it ruins the aesthetic (similar to the new XL cartier models). Definitely one to try on, the 42mm reverso case is the sweet spot on my 7" wrist.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    its a big case, saying it wears like x,y,z doesn't mean much because it shouldn't be worn as a big watch. IMO these larger reverso models don't work unless you have a massive wrist. It should be a small refined watch, if you don't like small watches don't try and force it into a bigger size, it ruins the aesthetic (similar to the new XL cartier models). Definitely one to try on, the 42mm reverso case is the sweet spot on my 7" wrist.
    Here is a comparison shot, all the other watches are at least 42mm, the Cartier is nearest in shape configuration, but wears like a 42mm watch . Obviously the big pilot at 46mm and the BPFF at 45mm are bigger but does the Reverso look tiny next to it ? I think it wears like I said like a 40mm sub. This case size for the Reverso is good for getting away from the "too small " Reverso perception. There are bigger cases for the Reverso, and thinner ones, but this model is a particularly good choice because it , isn't too small and isn't too big . Just my opinion of course, but I've have a 7,25 inch wrist and it wears fine on that . If you want it to wear smaller, go with the strap option, slightly bigger then it's the bracelet .

photo sharing sites no sign up

Journeyman
    Hi,

I purchased a Grade Reverso Duo Date a couple of months ago. I was looking at several models but sided with the GRDD mainly because I find the side-pushers on certain models a little distracting from the beauty of the Reverso range. I find the pushers take away some of the sleek and uncluttered look of the GRDD.

The GRDD as you well know has the GMT and date function without the side-pushers. I find it very wearable in a lot of situations (cool with casual/jeans) etc....

As mentioned elsewhere, it does not wear as a particularly large watch - probably because of its slim width. However, it is all personal choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Guycord; 18th October 2017 at 16:27.

Thanks for that. I'd not previously taken much notice of the Duo Date model and it a good point you make about the pushers. Maybe I'll keep my eyes open and have a closer look.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I bought one with the intention of wearing it regularly. After two years, I'd only had it on about a dozen times.

It's a nice enough watch, but it wasn't really my style, and the polished finish is so prone to marking that it seemed that mere exposure to photons was enough to leave hairlines. That and the unappealing prospect of dealing with Richemont service was enough to move it on without yet experiencing any regrets.

Here's a comparison photo with some familiar size references:

If I were to get another Reverso, I'd probably go with one of the simpler and slimmer models.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I bought one with the intention of wearing it regularly. After two years, I'd only had it on about a dozen times.

It's a nice enough watch, but it wasn't really my style, and the polished finish is so prone to marking that it seemed that mere exposure to photons was enough to leave hairlines. That and the unappealing prospect of dealing with Richemont service was enough to move it on without yet experiencing any regrets.

If I were to get another Reverso, I'd probably go with one of the simpler and slimmer models.
    Can I ask why you had the strap on upside down?

Because deployant — duh. :P

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Because deployant — duh. :P
    Sure doesn’t look like a deployant in your group shot?

Apologies, wonders if there were comfort issues.