closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nomos launch new 'At Work' line of watches

Craftsman

Nomos launch new 'At Work' line of watches

They look fantastic but I'd prefer them in the 35/36/37mm case sizes. 39mm is too big for a slim bezel 'all dial' design IMO.

Craftsman
    Looks like this was announced a couple of months ago, but they've only become available this week. They aren't particularly different than their main offerings though are they? Just 39mm.

I worked for 50-odd years and certainly had a few laughs but I don't remember any 'beautiful times' during a working day, so not for me. Too large and don't like the lugs either.

Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Looks like this was announced a couple of months ago, but they've only become available this week. They aren't particularly different than their main offerings though are they? Just 39mm.
    I think there's a lot more to it than that. For example, the Orion had the old 7001-derived manual Alpha movement and a stamped dial. This version has applied indices and their new DUW3001 automatic movement, which is just 3.2mm thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Too large and don't like the lugs either.
    I've had a few birds like that
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    I worked for 50-odd years and certainly had a few laughs but I don't remember any 'beautiful times' during a working day, so not for me. Too large and don't like the lugs either.
    Surely you'd remember the days of liquid lunches and clocking out by 3?

Those sound like beautiful times to me.

Also assuming you've never had lookers in your offices?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I think there's a lot more to it than that. For example, the Orion had the old 7001-derived manual Alpha movement and a stamped dial. This version has applied indices and their new DUW3001 automatic movement, which is just 3.2mm thick.
    Great points, guess I hadn't done my homework and was just comparing aesthetics holistically. Fair points.

I got a nomos for my brother a ahoi atlantik and for the price of it I was not impressed with the finish. For the £3k RRP you can get much better offerings out there, not trying to put people off but I would say to see on in the flesh before buying

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    They look fantastic but I'd prefer them in the 35/36/37mm case sizes. 39mm is too big for a slim bezel 'all dial' design IMO.
    Actually the Metro version is 38.5mm in common with the previous metros, and having tried those, they don't seem overwhelming even on a small wrist. The 'lugs' (or perhaps, the lack of lugs) make them easy to wear. I think the 39 name has lead to concern that Nomos are getting larger, but they're the same as before. It's only the price that's growing!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Actually the Metro version is 38.5mm in common with the previous metros, and having tried those, they don't seem overwhelming even on a small wrist. The 'lugs' (or perhaps, the lack of lugs) make them easy to wear. I think the 39 name has lead to concern that Nomos are getting larger, but they're the same as before. It's only the price that's growing!
    The first Metro (manual wind with the power reserve indicator) is 37mm. That's the case size I'd be going for in the Metro.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I love Nomos, but 39mm and all dial will wear huge.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I got a nomos for my brother a ahoi atlantik and for the price of it I was not impressed with the finish. For the £3k RRP you can get much better offerings out there, not trying to put people off but I would say to see on in the flesh before buying
    I had a Nomos Club back in the day (before it was stolen) and the finish was good for the £650 I paid for it. I always felt that Nomos did not scale well, and that the fit and finish are pretty uniform across their range. So their cheaper models look like great value, but the expensive ones look like poor value. A Nomos I'd buy for the design and aesthetics, so the internals aren't all that important to me.

If I bought a Nomos again it'd be a cheap model, not more than £1200 or thereabouts.

Apprentice

Nomos

The Nomos brand is certainly riding a wave at the moment but not sure for how long. Pleasant enough looking watch but thats it.

D.

Quote Originally Posted by davidalexander1968 View Post
    The Nomos brand is certainly riding a wave at the moment but not sure for how long. Pleasant enough looking watch but thats it.

D.
    Considering that they're one of a very small number of watchmakers out there with actual integrity — or indeed, that's even worthy of the term "watchmaker" instead of just "contracted-parts assembler" — I think they'll be around for a while longer yet.

They've been quietly building their reputation by offering substance and almost no advertising, and they're growing during a period of general decline in the industry. They have a distinctive design language that works and they're confident enough to stick with it; if anything, they're the anti-trend.

Quote Originally Posted by davidalexander1968 View Post
    Pleasant enough looking watch but thats it.
    Creating a thinner-than-a-2892 in-house automatic calibre counts for nothing? What would they have to do to register on the scale you're using?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    .. hmm -

More space for the important things in life: Orion with a 39-millimeter diameter, entirely white and automatic, with stamped indexes and rhodium-plated hands; no numerals, no colors, just the best German engineering and industrial design. Through the sapphire crystal glass back, you can see the motor that makes this watch so slender and precise: The NOMOS automatic caliber DUW 3001.

.. suggests still stamped.. but the silver cut says rhodium plated..

Having an Orion Weiss I still think that it's a superb thing with nary an angle wrong if you happen to like its austere character.

Perhaps slightly contrary but the pair here that leapt out to me as interesting were the silvercut dials and the gold metro... but for the latter's money, I'd rather have a lightly used lambda..

al

I had read this in the specs:

"Dial: rhodium-plated, with horizontal brushed finish; applique indexes, rhodium-plated, white"

https://www.nomos-store.com/en/Serie...stal-back.html

I came close to getting an Orion a couple of years ago, but I felt the stamped indices didn't have the kind of crispness I like (whereas the applied indices of the Zurich did)

Master
    I can't help feeling that Nomos have lost their way a little in the design stakes.

Tangomat, Zurich and the Weltzeit were all tasteful and desirable watches for me, but now I see a whole range of pastel dials, slightly "off" dial sizing and very little variation in aesthetic design. Have they spent all the development money on the movements? Currently there is nothing much in the new ranges that interest me.
    Last edited by UKMike; 17th October 2017 at 09:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Considering that they're one of a very small number of watchmakers out there with actual integrity — or indeed, that's even worthy of the term "watchmaker" instead of just "contracted-parts assembler" — I think they'll be around for a while longer yet.
    Exactly this. I like them very much and am giving serious thought to getting a Tetra Karat 28mm as a dressier alternative to my sports watches.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Nomos, I've seen a few in shop windows but never actually seen anyone wearing One ?

Apprentice
    Not sure how I feel about the lugs. The design seems very bland - certainly not creative. Their Orion is the most tasteful I've seen and thats not saying much.

pass

Looks like Nomos accidentally deleted the "10:09 memo."

Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Surely you'd remember the days of liquid lunches and clocking out by 3?

Those sound like beautiful times to me.

Also assuming you've never had lookers in your offices?
    Liquid lunches, I remember them, since when did they finish, having a pint at lunch is misconduct now!!!!

Master
    This thread seems to have come down with a case of highly infectious negativity, is everyone feeling ok? When we first saw the picture some weeks back, most really liked it. Personally I think this dial looks great on several lines, particularly the Metro but also the Orion and Tetra vesions. It brings back something along the lines of the linen dial look which is much loved on some vintage watches, but in fresh and modern way. I’m looking forward to seeing how it responds to the light.

I certainly don’t agree that introducing pastel dialled women’s models means they have lost their mojo, or that there’s anything dull about the designs - they are Bauhaus styled and that’s the soul of the brand, making these dials quite adventurous. They are not changing size either - it’s the same Metro case as before, though other sizes are available in other styles. They are also pushing forward with their movements. My only reservation is the price, however that applies to most watches these days and has become a sad fact of life - I did like the brand as a well priced underdog though. I also wonder how good the legibility will be, as those hands look quite similar and may blend in with the dial. I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve seen one in real life though.

Master
    I tried to buy this solid-gold-dialled version, because it was discounted by 33%. When I tried it on, I understood why. I have a 'standard Rolex wrist', but the Nomos was just too large, particularly from lug to lug, and stood high off the wrist, too. Indeed, the whole case design made no sense.

It had a beautiful dial, though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

They've been quietly building their reputation by offering substance and almost no advertising, and they're growing during a period of general decline in the industry. They have a distinctive design language that works and they're confident enough to stick with it; if anything, they're the anti-trend.
    THIS!!!

they have actual watch making ability. people assume they are rubbish because they are affordable. You don't see many around because they are a small company and people write them off without even handling them. Their movements are their own unlike several other bigger brands that claim to now make 'in house' but really are anything but (cough, panerai, cough). Styling isn't for everybody but they are very good at what they do. When I see one out and about it immediately says that the owner knows enough about watches to look beyond the obvious and often boring choices.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    I can't help feeling that Nomos have lost their way a little in the design stakes.

Tangomat, Zurich and the Weltzeit were all tasteful and desirable watches for me, but now I see a whole range of pastel dials, slightly "off" dial sizing and very little variation in aesthetic design. Have they spent all the development money on the movements? Currently there is nothing much in the new ranges that interest me.
    what's wrong with just producing the same watches? nobody seems to care when rolex uses the same case designs for 50 years.