closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's the Realistic Price to Pay for a 6265 Daytona These Days?

What's the Realistic Price to Pay for a 6265 Daytona These Days?

I know 6265 values have 'spiked' and there are some eye watering headline prices being asked by some dealers.

But, what is a sensible price for a good, original example - ideally private sale?

PS. I know there are a lot of variants.
    Last edited by Geneve; 16th October 2017 at 13:48.

I would suggest entry level for a decent example is around £35k, 12-18 months ago it was nearer to £25k.

Never thought I'd see the words 'Daytona' and 'Realistic Price' in the same sentence:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

Watch the SS Zeniths move.......

Just my two pennies

M

Master
    These Daytonas did not sell well and it was the automatic 16520 that made them sought after. The reason they did not sell well was that they were not that good and hence are relatively scarce. Scarce Rolex = investment.

If you want a genuine investment, go for it, if you want a good watch as well as an investment, go for a PP at a similar price.

I agree with Mick on this, but as the OP has already alluded to, all Daytonas have gone through the roof in the last 12 to 24 months and buying any model in the current market you will be paying top dollar. Is that wise?, very much a crystal ball job. It is difficult to guess. Personally, I don't see prices going much higher, certainly not doubling again in the next year or two, but equally I don't see the prices collapsing any time soon.

I would suggest that prices will stabilise or even fall away a little bit, making buying wise more important than ever. Those who bought a 16520 for £9k or less last year did very well and are unlikely to ever lose money, but buying that same Watch today at current market prices is a serious gamble financially. The old adage applies, if you love the watch and intend keeping it to enjoy then fair enough, but if residuals and investment are words frequently used in your calculations then I would suggest the current market is a risky gamble.

My question was essentially academic, but interested to know where these are currently standing.

Occurred to me that the success, or otherwise, of the Paul Newman sale could influence where these prices go in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneve View Post
    My question was essentially academic, but interested to know where these are currently standing.

Occurred to me that the success, or otherwise, of the Paul Newman sale could influence where these prices go in the future.
    I am sure that there will be a short term impact, but if you look back, the Ceramic came in and the secondary markets very quickly decided that £15k was a good market price and they haven't moved much up or down since. Those lovely SS watches trading at around £9k suddenly started to climb until they are virtually the same price as the Ceramic now. In fact I know of a white Ceramic that is £1k cheaper than an advertised 16520 mid 90s Watch - which in reality that has to be crazy.

The nicest examples of the rarer models are always going to be coveted by collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    These Daytonas did not sell well and it was the automatic 16520 that made them sought after. The reason they did not sell well was that they were not that good and hence are relatively scarce. Scarce Rolex = investment.

If you want a genuine investment, go for it, if you want a good watch as well as an investment, go for a PP at a similar price.
    To me though, a vintage Daytona is a thousand times better looking than any PP at the same price. I'm not sure why manual wind Daytonas weren't popular but they're amongst prettiest watches ever made and so much nicer than the modern automatic versions.

Master
    I need to add a vintage. A friend had a 6265 that he sold a couple of years back. Stunning!
    Last edited by Chalet; 16th October 2017 at 22:27.

6265s and Vintage Daytonas

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    To me though, a vintage Daytona is a thousand times better looking than any PP at the same price. I'm not sure why manual wind Daytonas weren't popular but they're amongst prettiest watches ever made and so much nicer than the modern automatic versions.
    Yes, lovely watches, and no doubt a joy to own and wear.

But would anyone here pay £25-50k+ for one?

At that price level you'd need to have confidence in its investment potential, surely? Do they really have further to go?

Totally not my area or knowledge base being vintage Rolex but what we have seen over the last few years is astronomical in terms of growth, yes it may slow down but what is it really going to take to burst the VR bubble and see prices drop?

Smart phones were a threat but have been nothing bar a damp squib in comparison so what is going to crash VR prices??

I sold a 6263 black dial watch with B&P and fresh from service at SHWR for £27k just before Christmas last year.

Doubt I could buy it back today for that sort of money... :-(

Craftsman
    unsustainable spike in prices. feel like that ship has sailed in terms of investment potential.