closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SARB buying new from Ebay

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Seiko SARB buying new from Ebay

Just wondered if anyone has bought one of the Seiko SARBs advertised on Ebay as 'new' for around £226 - £242?

My query is, and I'm probably about to answer my own question, presumably there are import taxes to pay? These watches seem to go for around this amount second hand, but if anyone has bought one and can share the story of quality / speed of arrival / general experience I'd be grateful to hear.

Cheers
    Meat

Which SARB model in particular ?

I've never used them but a seller, citiwide-uk I think it is, has had good prices in the past, apparently.

Surely it'll indicate whether VAT is to be paid ?

I bought one of those SARBs and apart from no stamp on the warranty card, it was all good. And no import tax either.

The company I used claimed to be based in Ireland, via China probably.

I’ve had a few SARBs from Japan.

I bought a SARB035 new from an eBay seller based in UK or Ireland and it didn’t seem to be the same quality as my others.

When I raised this with the seller he accepted a return and issued a refund straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post

I bought a SARB035 new from an eBay seller based in UK or Ireland and it didn’t seem to be the same quality as my others.

When I raised this with the seller he accepted a return and issued a refund straight away.
    Sounds a bit dodgy. What quality issues did you have? I've considered buying a SARB from the Ireland seller before.

I bought a SARB035 and SARB017 from the Irish eBay seller and had no problems at all. Both delivered within a week and no taxes to pay.

Master

Fishy !

I bought my Alpinist from an eBay seller in Japan.

Took an age to arrive, but all was good when it did.

M

I bought from the Southern Irish seller on eBay - the one with the lowest price you regularly see on there. It arrived sealed and looked factory fresh... BUT.. the clasp was an obvious "second".

I sent it back and had no quibble on a refund.

Craftsman
    Hmmm, I had been looking at a SARB033 or a SARB035 a while ago, and a couple of RoI sellers selling it at £240, with no VAT to pay. Thought it was an excellent price, and they've each sold dozens of those watches. If it's a no quibble refund then might as well order from them, especially with additional Paypal cover. Even more coverage is gained by using a credit card through Paypal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I bought from the Southern Irish seller on eBay - the one with the lowest price you regularly see on there. It arrived sealed and looked factory fresh... BUT.. the clasp was an obvious "second".
    It's not a "second"; it's just faulty.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmeat View Post
    Just wondered if anyone has bought one of the Seiko SARBs advertised on Ebay as 'new' for around £226 - £242?

My query is, and I'm probably about to answer my own question, presumably there are import taxes to pay? These watches seem to go for around this amount second hand, but if anyone has bought one and can share the story of quality / speed of arrival / general experience I'd be grateful to hear.

Cheers
    Meat
    Several members on here have bought from one of the vendors on eBay. As I recall there was no additional VAT to pay. All quite legit.

The sellers ship from Hong Kong to a UK/Irish address, and then that person ships on to you the customer. So there is no tax owed by yourself as it's shipped to you from within the EU. Whether they're avoiding tax sending it to the EU is on their shoulders. I bought my Sumo this way and have no complaints at all, would definitely use them again. Takes +/- a week to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Sounds a bit dodgy. What quality issues did you have? I've considered buying a SARB from the Ireland seller before.

The clasp, the dial printing, and the colour of the dial were all not quite right. I’ve had a few of the same watch and it didn’t match the others.

Master
    Not bought a SARB from then (yet!) but did get my GW-5000-1JF from them. Great price, full packaging/intl warranty-just a bit slow arriving (two full working weeks) and the communications were a little vague. They did always reply within 12 hours or so though. I’d probably buy from them again.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    The clasp, the dial printing, and the colour of the dial were all not quite right. I’ve had a few of the same watch and it didn’t match the others.

Well that’s interesting, are we talking replica possibly? Surely there should not be variations in the dial printing or colours on genuine 033/35- can you elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Bought from Citiwatches? Or something similar
    They deliver to UK the dispatch from the UK to prevent you being charged tax and import
    It was a SeikonSumo and well under the usual price

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Well that’s interesting, are we talking replica possibly? Surely there should not be variations in the dial printing or colours on genuine 033/35- can you elaborate?

All I know is that it looked and felt very different to my other SARB035s, and I wasn’t happy with the quality.

I don’t know what caused this - whether it was poor QC, a batch variation, or something else.

All I can say is when I raised these concerns my return was accepted and my refund issued immediately and without question.

Blog Entries
    All I know is that it looked and felt very different to my other SARB035s, and I wasn’t happy with the quality.

I don’t know what caused this - whether it was poor QC, a batch variation, or something else.

All I can say is when I raised these concerns my return was accepted and my refund issued immediately and without question.

Very dubious indeed - I’d be suspicious from now on and I always check citywide and gizmo outlets for they’re cheapy cheapy JDM seikos .

Yes I’d rather pay extra to import from a known seller in Japan from now on.