closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths PRS-36 movement.

Craftsman

Smiths PRS-36 movement.

Hello.

For a few weeks now I've really been thinking I'd like to buy the PRS-36 as it ticks a lot of boxes, even though it's quite an expensive purchase for me at the moment.

I actually tried to buy it a couple of weeks ago but the timefactors site is closed til the end of the month, so in the meantime I've been trying to find out a bit more about the movement used, which is a Peseux 7040 and to be honest there isn't a lot of info out there.

Is it reliable?

If I have problems a few years down the line, will I be able to source parts?

I know timefactors watches are well respected but I'm sure Eddie has never claimed to be a watchmaker in the repairing sense of the word, so I'm not expecting him to be able to help years down the line and I worry because although the watch may be new, I believe the movement is NOS from the 70s.

I would normally just fire these questions off to Timefactors but I'm assuming that as he's closed for orders he's away on his jollies, or at least not in work so of course not responding to emails.

I suppose one of my concerns is that I've never actually seen any TF watch in the flesh and I'm buying purely on reputation, as even a lot of the photos that were originally posted of this watch are now no longer viewable due to photobucket policies.

Any photos you guys can add to this thread would also be greatly appreciated.

The Peseux 7040 lives on as the ETA 7001 and is used by many watch manufacturers. Some do modifications and renumber the movement as their own calibre. I don't think you'll have any problems with servicing etc in the future.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The Peseux 7040 lives on as the ETA 7001 and is used by many watch manufacturers. Some do modifications and renumber the movement as their own calibre. I don't think you'll have any problems with servicing etc in the future.
    Exactly how closely related is the 7001 to the 7040? For one thing the 7001 is thinner. Looking at the photos (which is as far as my technical ability to understand movements goes) there are visible differences

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...wk&Peseux_7040

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...wk&Peseux_7001

Last edited by Der Amf; 16th October 2017 at 10:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Exactly how closely related is the 7001 to the 7040? For one thing the 7001 is thinner. Looking at the photos (which is as far as my technical ability to understand movements goes) there are visible differences

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...wk&Peseux_7040

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...wk&Peseux_7001

I don't know TBH. I just recalled having a look at them when Eddie mooted using the movement in one of his watches. I presumed they were the same.
    Last edited by magirus; 16th October 2017 at 11:26.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    From the limited amount of information I've been able to gather on the web, the two aren't really that closely related and I wouldn't expect most parts to be interchangeable. The 7001 seems to lend itself better to modding and is the more common of the two having been used in the past by companies like Nomos. As mentioned it's also thinner.

I'm not helped by the fact there are so few photos available, I've seen about 20 photos of it but of those, perhaps three or four are close to professional quality.

Thank you for your replies. I've got a couple of weeks to decide before the website opens again anyway.
    Last edited by coldwarkid; 17th October 2017 at 11:57.

I have a PRS-36 and really like it. Spare parts for the 7040 seem to be readily available and donor moments can be purchased for about £50.

Master
    I'm wearing my 36 now, number 123 if I'm reading the serial number correctly.

Great watch & but I have no idea regards parts availability.