closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Campervan/Motorhome - hero or villain ?

Campervan/Motorhome - hero or villain ?

I'm thinking of getting myself a campervan.. and have sort of set my mind/heart on a VW Transporter converted or the purpose built VW California.

Has anyone got experience of them? Current or in the past....

Just wondering about whether i'll be saying to myself.. 'jeez, why didn't I buy one of these sooner?' or after 6 months will I be thinking 'Lord, what I have done?!'

Thanks in advance for any opinions/thoughts

One option to consider before you take the plunge would be to hire one for a week to see for yourself, I don't think other people's opinions come close to self-experience in these.

(I've had them in the past and enjoyed them at the time, nowadays I wouldn't).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Never had a camper, but had a VW transporter works van, I was always impressed at how well it drove & how quick it was, if you want a camper I think this would be perfect; and yes this is on my bucket list also. Go for it, but make sure you use it and get some serious trips under your belt.

It was the latter of the two for me.

Not enough space and comfort, the only ones that have are too big to be practical drivers.

Still, I'd always wanted one so it scratched an itch and I wasn't too out of pocket when I sold it.

We have a T5.1 conversion - love it!

Point to note with the California is the sliding door is on the O/S. which is a pain if you spend most of your time in the UK.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I have a California. If you are going to, buy now lots of choice, sell whenever you are bored but in April’s/May/June. High cost, rock solid residuals, even if you make a mistake.

Compromise between camping and motor home. Think of glamping on wheels. Great for two people. Good cabin heater for those cold days. Great vehicle for cyclists, walkers, canoeists.

Don’t join an owners forum! They will frighten you away.

Hire before, seems a good tip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 15th October 2017 at 22:14.

Get your butt down to the NEC this week/end as a few of the companies Vanworx etc will be there at the Caravan & Camping show

Motorhomes....aka mobile roadblocks.
    Drivers viewed with utter contempt by every right minded motorist.
    35mph, winding road, 50 cars behind, unable to pass.
    Lay by ahead....will he pull in?
    Will he bollocks.

Campers not too bad...at least they can maintain a steady 50.

I’m hoping to buy a new California at some stage in 2018, fingers crossed.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’m hoping to buy a new California at some stage in 2018, fingers crossed.
    Don’t leave it too late. The stock of vehicles drys up rapidly in spring, new vehicle lead times extend out and prices shoot up.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll try and get myself organised

Unless some ordered watches arrive early and upset my plans.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Will he bollocks.

That is more likely the fault of the first of your 50 cars - pull out and overtake. If he did, things would move a lot more smoothly.

Craftsman
    I have had 3 classic VW vans over the years and then moved to the dark side with a Hymer. The big advantage of the VW is the footprint is about the same size as a large/estate car with few restrictions on parking. If you buy right and you will not lose money if it turns out you don't like it. They are cramped and with advancing years I was forced to go bigger but there is nothing quite like driving a Bay on a summer day. Recommend the late bay site for info.

VW built California’s generally come with powerful engines. Driving my California is no different to driving my car in terms of acceleration, speed and smoothness.

One thing to look at on third party conversions is the engine. They can be based on standard, basic, commercial vans with not very powerful engines to keep costs down. The conversion then adds a load of weight.

I had a VW type2 camper van from 1983 to 2000.
    It was my only vehicle so it was used as an every day "car" during the week and used for spending weekends away skydiving.

Bought a Hymer, "proper" motorhome in 2014. Sold it in 2016 due to lack of use. In the last year of ownership i'd used it once for a three day trip.

I'd rather stay in a decent hotel nowdays.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    That is more likely the fault of the first of your 50 cars - pull out and overtake. If he did, things would move a lot more smoothly.
    Indeed, why aren't people taught that if you are not overtaking you need to leave 4-5 car lengths minimum in front.

Trouble is the driving test is really an urban driving test. It also suffers from being a once a lifetime event.

Sorry for hijack.

I'd only use a Camper/MH if I could trail another vehicle and then you wonder if you shouldn't just be using a conventional caravan.

Craftsman
    I've quite often been stuck behind motorists doing 45 in my fiat ducato based Burstner motor home.
    There no way I can overtake, but I bet the queue behind blames me...

It is also possible to lose 3 cars or an artic in the blind spot behind, so don't drive to close.

Dave

Craftsman
    They always seem a crazy amount of money to me a bit like boats.
    For the high cost you could probably stay in a nice hotel as often as you like with space, a proper bathroom and a proper bed.

Journeyman

We looked at camper vans prior to purchasing our motorhome.
    We found them too small for our needs, great for getting about in but not practical for living in.
    Sort out how you intend to use it, how regular and how long you intend your stopovers to be.
    Hiring one could be another idea, they are expensive to hire, however some companies may refund your rental if you then purchase from them.
    Get to a few shows and try a few out.

A pal of mine has just bought a used T4 camper and they love it - I've had a look (curiosity!) and it looks well made and planned in the accommodation. It is very small inside though so although will sleep 4 is really only suitable for 2 long term - although there is an (expensive) awning option!

BUT - at £25k for an 09 model, that's a whole load of nice hotel/flights for my money in more interesting places than the VW will ever reach. I'd rent one for a few weeks though and tour parts of the UK and/or Europe I've never been to.

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    A pal of mine has just bought a used T4 camper and they love it - I've had a look (curiosity!) and it looks well made and planned in the accommodation. It is very small inside though so although will sleep 4 is really only suitable for 2 long term - although there is an (expensive) awning option!

BUT - at £25k for an 09 model, that's a whole load of nice hotel/flights for my money in more interesting places than the VW will ever reach. I'd rent one for a few weeks though and tour parts of the UK and/or Europe I've never been to.
    Yes but you get a lot of that £25k back when you sell the van as residuals are so strong.

Master
    Will he bollocks.

Agreed hate the darn things. Just done the NC500 and it was bad enough that the idiots insist on going up steep single track roads with the things and then they're incapable of reversing back to passing slots but when you get behind one it's like driving miles and miles at 35mph with a fridge in front of you spoiling the view. I know there's a lot of moaning from the locals up there about them clogging the roads, parking on unauthorized spots, chucking their toilet waste down the public toilets, etc, etc, and not spending any money into the local community.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Falcata View Post
    I'm thinking of getting myself a campervan.. and have sort of set my mind/heart on a VW Transporter converted or the purpose built VW California.

Has anyone got experience of them? Current or in the past....

Just wondering about whether i'll be saying to myself.. 'jeez, why didn't I buy one of these sooner?' or after 6 months will I be thinking 'Lord, what I have done?!'

Thanks in advance for any opinions/thoughts

I would say hero.

Hire one first and see if you like it.

We have had ours for 14 years.
    It has a Fiat 2.8jtd 130hp diesel engine, speed limited to 90mph.
    Unfortunately you find yourself stuck behind lots of idiots in cars going very slowly on country roads.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    They always seem a crazy amount of money to me a bit like boats.
    For the high cost you could probably stay in a nice hotel as often as you like with space, a proper bathroom and a proper bed.
    That is something which crosses my mind - I must admit

Master
    I'm told that typically you're talking re. £150 a day to hire a camper 'van. Cheaper to go in a B-n-B or hotel. But of course the camper van does mean self cooking and not having to eat out so that's probably where the cost savings are to be had. As to BUYING a van! Someone in our office did that and then got rid after 5 years. They then worked out the running costs (depreciation/tax/storage/insurance/mot/servicing/petrol/etc) for those 5 years. It worked out they could have gone on two VERY nice family holidays each year with the money! My niece and nephew-in-law on the wife's side are both teachers and they've just put a deposit down on a NEW 'van. What are we talking about? Seventy grand say! Wow and they (the teachers) say teachers they're hard up!

depreciation/tax/storage/insurance/mot/servicing/petrol/etc for those 5 years

Valid points, but motor homes should be used as a second car to get the best out of them.
    So with no storage fees, the other running costs are exactly the same - apart from depreciation obviously, which is a lot less than a car.
    Depreciation on our £26k vehicle after 14 years is less than £10k.

I would struggle to have a family holiday for £700 per year depreciation.
    We have however been to most of the UK, Denmark, Germany, Holland, Switzerland, Le Mans, Versaille, and Italian holidays in Portafino, Florence, Lido de Jessalo near Venice, Bardalino and Torbole.
    It's horses for courses.
    I would hate to be stuck in a holiday inn or travel lodge for my holidays

Master
    In this case they live in a standard city semi so not possible to store at their home so definitely NOT used as a second car. Anyway would you really use a camper van for the school run and popping down to sainsburys? Depends on the van I suppose but I doubt you'd use one of them huge white plastic fridge-on-wheels things as a second car :-) ISTR they dropped something like 10+K over the 5 years. Add everything else on and it came to perhaps 3-4K per year. This was on a second hand van. God knows how much it's going to work out depreciation wise for the aforementioned niece/nephew-in-law on a NEW van.

Each to their own. This is our second car (fridge on wheels).
    Make the right decision, and it will work for you.
    Make the wrong decision, and you will be disappointed.

Motorhomes and campers work if you don't live/work in a city, can keep them at home, an use them as regular transport.
    I wouldn't buy a timeshare or a second home broad if I couldn't use it. So why do people buy these vehicles, then park them up in storage for 9-months plus per year.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Went and bought this old lump yesterday with intentions of turning it into a camper, well more a day van. Maybe some seating area that turns into a bed, some swivel front seats with a table somewhere.

Spent all its life as disability van so not had a hard life. 2003 with only 49000 on the clock and no rust i can see apart from a little on the fuel flap. Puts a smile on our faces as we chug along and looking forward to some lovely family days out in it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Went and bought this old lump yesterday with intentions of turning it into a camper, well more a day van. Maybe some seating area that turns into a bed, some swivel front seats with a table somewhere.

Spent all its life as disability van so not had a hard life. 2003 with only 49000 on the clock and no rust i can see apart from a little on the fuel flap. Puts a smile on our faces as we chug along and looking forward to some lovely family days out in it.

Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    They're not the easiest thing to overtake are they?
    15mph through the twisties, no safe overtakes, then away like a bastard as soon as there's a clear road.
    And mostly the motorist behind has limited visibility because of the lines that some m/h drivers take.
    Typical motorhome driver doesn't give a toss what's going on behind them.
    Also, typical motorhome unit is despised by locals on the Scottish islands I visit every year.
    Weeks shopping done at Tesco's on mainland before departure.
    Virtually nothing brought to the islands economies. Except waste, congestion and polloution.
    Disgraceful.

Just returned from a 3500 mile holiday in France in yes our Hymer motorhome, at 7.3m in length able to park almost anywhere, supermarket car parks a doddle for shopping, yes we believe in putting as much as possible in to the local economies.
    Never wild camp using sites preferably near villages where again we can put something back.
    Tail back behind? never seen one, yes I have great rear view mirrors.
    A case I believe as each to there own

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    very nice
    Thanks. Was looking for a T5 when I saw this. I think the T4 is supposed to be the most solid build quality.

Master
    I'm about 80% through converting a T5 panel van to a camper. Always wanted to do it and glad I finally took the plunge. If you have the time and inclination to do it yourself you will save a fortune and I've found it a (mostly) enjoyable experience.

Either way though I'm sure you'll love it, and depreciation isn't bad so if after a year or so you find yourself not using, sell it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Thanks. Was looking for a T5 when I saw this. I think the T4 is supposed to be the most solid build quality.
    It looks very fresh and tidy. For ideas have a look at VW converters Bodans website. Lots of pics on their site.
    Last edited by johny; 29th October 2017 at 13:26.

Master
    Campervan/Motorhomes are a strange thing. People buy them for the freedom to give to visit places they would not otherwise go to. They can go anywhere they want, almost like a modern day traveller. It is almost a form of hippism which you equate with the green culture.

The strange thing is that in Spain, the Spanish absolutely hate them and believe me the word hate is mild. They are seen as either rich Europeans or Catalonians spending their money on a hideous looking monstrosity that pollutes the air with petrol guzzling engines and yet do nothing to support the places they visit.

They take up valuable parking space with their over sized monstrosities, usually parking free of charge in freebie car parks or even local supermarkets. They use water from public resources and don't pay for it and then the tight fisted sods eat in their vans and don't use the local restaurants that depend on tourism for their very existence. Their rubbish is left in plastic bags that looks a mess and smells and they always aim for beauty spots that get ruined by these vans churning up the ground and then staying for days keeping everyone else out.

They are regarded as wealthy freeloaders and nearly every coastal town is under pressure from the locals to just move them on somewhere else. Believe me, they are hated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Campervan/Motorhomes are a strange thing. People buy them for the freedom to give to visit places they would not otherwise go to. They can go anywhere they want, almost like a modern day traveller. It is almost a form of hippism which you equate with the green culture.

The strange thing is that in Spain, the Spanish absolutely hate them and believe me the word hate is mild. They are seen as either rich Europeans or Catalonians spending their money on a hideous looking monstrosity that pollutes the air with petrol guzzling engines and yet do nothing to support the places they visit.

They take up valuable parking space with their over sized monstrosities, usually parking free of charge in freebie car parks or even local supermarkets. They use water from public resources and don't pay for it and then the tight fisted sods eat in their vans and don't use the local restaurants that depend on tourism for their very existence. Their rubbish is left in plastic bags that looks a mess and smells and they always aim for beauty spots that get ruined by these vans churning up the ground and then staying for days keeping everyone else out.

They are regarded as wealthy freeloaders and nearly every coastal town is under pressure from the locals to just move them on somewhere else. Believe me, they are hated.
    2018 Caravan and Motorhome Club Annual Rally - Mick P's place.

All welcome!

Master
    Hi all,

We have an autistic son who doesn't like change. Having a motorhome is a way to be in different places, with a high level of familiarity that reduces his anxiety.

We hired first earlier this year, then bought an old Talbot MH for about £7k. It's a 1990 G-plate Swift Kon-tiki, based on a 2l petrol express. Has 6 berths, bathroom, shower, oven, hob, heating and solar panels.

We travel often for weekends away, sometimes wild camp in appropriate places, pub car parks (with permission of course), and campsites. We always buy things and eat locally, and NEVER leave mess or rubbish.

Our van is not fast. We deliberately avoid narrow and/or steep roads. She will cruise at 60-65 on a major road, and often we are on the heels of the car in front on single carriageways. I am an IAM 1st class advanced driver, and make sure that we are not inconveniencing other road users.

As with all spheres of human activity, there are good and bad people. Some MHers do abuse and are selfish drivers. We're not all like that!

It's a good idea to try first- to see what kind of layout will suit you, and whether you want a MH or if a smaller camper will suit.

One piece of advice- watch the back end- when you turn, the rear overhang will tend to swing the in the opposite direction to your turn!

Give it a go and enjoy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    It looks very fresh and tidy. For ideas have a look at VW converters Bodans website. Lots of pics on their site.
    Cheers ill check that site out. It has got a couple of little dinks and a few scratches but for the age its a great looking van. Absolutely loving driving it plodding along like a bus. Took it out in the beautiful sunshine we had today.