closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Faulty Watch Despite Repeated Returns

Craftsman

Faulty Watch Despite Repeated Returns

Bit of a strange situation I've found myself in and would be interested in knowing if anyone has found themself in something similar.

I bought a watch approx 4 years ago from an independent watch company. The watch has never kept acceptable time (I'm talking minutes/day) and has a serious issue that causes it to just stop, even though it clearly has plenty of power left. The watch has been back to the company several times (at least 5 or 6), but every time it returns with problems. I would estimate that of the 4 years I've owed the watch, at least 12 months have been spent with it in repair.

I understand that a mechanical watch can go wrong, I've owned watched from other brands that have had issues but other companies have sorted them; however, this company just says that they are going to sort it, then sends the watch back to me still faulty.

So has anyone else been in this situation? Any advice? I asked for my money back a few months ago (so after 4 years of ownership) and they refused but I've recently received it from repair and it still doesn't work. Do I have any legal rights that I should look into?

Cheers.

Master
    Well, goods are required to be fit for the purpose they are intended for - so in principle your watch fails abysmally. Goodness knows about time limits, but it sounds like you've first reported problems to them quite early, so you should be able to get your money back. Eventually.

Was it purchased brand new or pre owned? If it was brand new and you paid for it by credit card you may be able to make claim under section 75.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by al1786 View Post
    Was it purchased brand new or pre owned? If it was brand new and you paid for it by credit card you may be able to make claim under section 75.

Even if pre owned if brought from a dealer on a cc you should be covered, if not I'd talk to the legal cover folks on my home insurance and check out the chances to bring a claim via the small claims court.

You might have to jump through some hoops but I suspect you'd win based on the details you've given.

I think, given the repeated failures of the company, a name and shame wouldn't be bad etiquette.

As for legality, you might have to seek redress through the small claims court as you've allowed them to 'fix' multiple times over a long period. You should have rejected in the first instance of a failed fix.

If it's a watch you really want to hang on to could an independent assess it and give you an estimate for a fix, then seek the cost from the company?

What watch is it out of interest?

Blog Entries
    Do contact you citzens advise bureau. If goods are not fit for purpose you could get your money back through snall claims court - 6 years I think is the limit under Sales of Goods Act or equivalent these days except after 6 months onus on you to ahow fault was present at purchase. Do make written correspondence to your actions you plan to take- they’ll probably pay rather than court action.

Good luck.

Martyn

What watch,
    What company,
    What problems,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    What watch,
    What company,
    What problems,
    +1......it's difficult to give any advice when the OP gives such scant information.

I'd also add the question 'what has actually been done to fix the watch'.

Paul

Craftsman
    Many thanks for all of your replies. I'm pretty sure I paid for it using a credit card and hence will definitely try that route; the watch was certainly over £100. I quick look at citizens advice on the internet shows I have 6 years if the item is not fit for purpose. I'm sure I can claim that it isn't.

I'm not sure I want to start naming and shaming quite yet but will keep this updated so it may be use for others. You're a clever lot though so I'm sure you'll work it out. A little more info about the watch and its issues: I bought the watch new from a UK independent watch company in 2013. It was a new company and a new watch, but I liked the look of it and decided to take a punt. It was marketed as a well-built, robust watch with accuracy of +/- 4s.

I received the watch in mid-2013 and I was well pleased with it but from the off it was losing over 2 mins/d. It went straight back for "recalibration". After a month or so I got the watch back, but they had managed to badly scratch the caseback whilst opening it up (but sent it back anyway). I agreed to send it back at some point in the future to get the caseback changed (I just wanted to wear the bloody thing for a bit first).

The watch ran ok for a bit but gradually started losing more and more time. Approx one year later (mid-2014) I contacted the company again and they agreed that there was a mechanical fault and that I should send it back to them. The caseback would be changed at the same time. The movement was replaced under warranty and I had it back late 2014.

Watch ran ok for approx 18 months but then just started stop randomly, i,e, the second hand completely stops moving. Eventually it completely stopped and wouldn't run, so it had to go back. Again. We're now in summer 2016.

The watch is away for five months and finally arrives back with me at the end of 2016. I was wearing it daily and noticed that randomly it would lose large chunks of time, around 25 mins. It turns out that the minute hand wasn't connected properly. Back it went early 2017.

I received the watch back in Spring 2017 but, that right you guessed it, it didn't work properly. It was still stopping randomly and when it did work it was gaining 3 mins/d. Back it went summer 2017.

And that bring me to today. I received the watch back a couple of weeks ago but it still has the same issue whereby the movement stops (I did tell them about this, but they still didn't fix it).

I should point out that I work in an office and at no point has the watch been subjected to anything more extreme than walking, sitting on a train, or sitting at a desk.

So that it, do I have a case of not fit for purpose?

Grand Master
    But you're still not telling us the brand, or who you're dealing with!

With all due respect, £100 isn`t a lot to pay for a new mechanical watch, but it's reasonable to expect it to work properly. Whether that's realistic is another matter.

However, here's a story that may or may not resonate: A friend of mine had a new mechanical pocket watch bought for his birthday as a present from his wife. This was bought from local jeweller for around £100. After a few months it stopped, they returned it, and were given a new replacement....which stopped after a few weeks. They were given yet another replacement that ran fort a few months before giving up the ghost. At this point I got involved; as I suspected the movement was a cheap Chinese thing and when I stripped it down there was virtually no trace of oil or lubrication anywhere, it was as dry as the proverbial witches fanny. After cleaned it, rebuilt it and oiling it properly it ran quite nicely, nothing fundamentally wrong with the movement but it was poorly assembled.

That's my final word on this thread, I`m always willing to give technical advice but when posters are so reluctant to give the full story it becomes too frustrating to bother with.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
    I'm not sure I want to start naming and shaming quite yet but will keep this updated so it may be use for others.
    I wouldnt worry about naming and shaming if they have treated you the way you say they have, a watch worth £100 becomes expensive once you start going back and forth with postage, email time, research....

Also the best way this may be of use to others is to name the company so we are forewarned about the hassles that may arise..

More than £100, which means less than £150. So, a UK independent watch brand that sells watches with Chinese movements for less than £150? I'm scratching my head, but I would bin it anyway and buy a Seiko

Fishy thread methinks.

Blog Entries
    So you sit in an office all day and have a cheap (few £100) mechanical watch on. Hum, this is getting very difficult to help without more information. Could just be running down if you have a sedentary life style.

Craftsman
    Rightly or wrongly I'm still going to insist on withholding the brand name until I have made contact with the company and I know their position. I'm sorry that some of you are so aggrieved by this, but each to their own.

While I agree that a £100 watch should maybe just be chucked, this unfortunately cost several thousand pounds, which to me is too much money to throw the watch away.

Interestingly the company has contacted me, I assume after seeing this thread, and hopefully we will be able to talk it through like gentlemen and reach a suitable agreement. Hopefully.

Grand Master
    surely they should just drop a new movement into it and solve it that way?
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Rightly or wrongly I'm still going to insist on withholding the brand name until I have made contact with the company and I know their position. I'm sorry that some of you are so aggrieved by this, but each to their own.

While I agree that a £100 watch should maybe just be chucked, this unfortunately cost several thousand pounds, which to me is too much money to throw the watch away.

Interestingly the company has contacted me, I assume after seeing this thread, and hopefully we will be able to talk it through like gentlemen and reach a suitable agreement. Hopefully.
    I really don't get this - how is a watch company going to be able to identify themselves from this thread? None of this makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I really don't get this - how is a watch company going to be able to identify themselves from this thread? None of this makes sense
    Maybe the OP has sent the dealer a link to this thread,
    ''sort out my watch or I'll name you'' social media blackmail init.

Of course, it's Christopher Ward isn't it?

You've made contact with the company five times already, why do you think this time will be different?

And how the flying feck would they have contacted you after reading this thread when you refused to name them?

Top trolling

Well it sounds like it is a Bremont, how many reasonable volume UK makers have COSC certified movements? CW and Bremont basically.

It sounds more like a Bremont though.

Mitch

Craftsman
    I must admit, I think Bremont as well.

He bought it new " from a new company" in 2013.

CW has been going over a decade. How long has Bremont been going?
    Last edited by coldwarkid; 18th October 2017 at 00:55.

Craftsman
    Just checked.

Bremont have been going a decade as well.

This makes no sense with half a story.

OP, you want something from the forum ( god knows what ) but aren't willing to let others know who you are dealing with so that they can A) help you and B) be warned about this company and it's allegedly poor CS and QC. I think this is against the sharing spirit of the forum. How do you intend to sort it out with the company like gentlemen, when you've shown yourself to be anything but gentlemanly?

Grand Master

That's a great way to endear yourself to the rest of the forum. You lead people to believe you've bought a watch for around £100 when the truth is that you've bought something v. expensive.

People put time and effort into giving you a reply, trying to be tactful and suggest that perhaps your expectations are unrealistic, when in truth you've mislead everyone for some strange reason. It's annoying to the rest of us who respect openness and honesty. Several people have wasted time and effort replying; you've withheld so much info that we've all wasted our time on you.

Frankly I no longer care about your problems with your watch. You've started this thread with some hidden agenda, possibly to provoke a reaction from the supplier. My ignore list on this forum is very short, but you're going on it buddy.

Paul

What the f.. Rodriguez.
    What do you want from us? First you say it is a rather cheap watch, now it is a several thousand of £ watch?
    What do you want from us?
    Share our experiences and knowledge? If you freaking do not tell us what we are talking about, it will be VERY difficult.
    I am with Paul here, stop bothering us if you don't want to share....

Rodriguez, try to be honest here... what was your objective in starting this thread? You have frustrated a lot of people here; I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you didn't actually mean to... so a little candour might go a long way at this point. Many of us have experienced problems with watch brands in the past and don't really understand why you're so reluctant to be open about it.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by pacchi View Post
    First you say it is a rather cheap watch, now it is a several thousand of £ watch?
    He never said it was a cheap watch. He said it was more than £100 which may have been in reference to his research on his rights under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act in making a credit card claim.

Anyway, that notwithstanding, I am going to hazard a guess at P*n*o*, founded in 2013.

Martin
    Last edited by MartinCRC; 18th October 2017 at 13:21.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    In fairness I read "certainly over 100" to mean a hell of a lot more.
    OP getting a rather hard time for not much.

Anyone with English as their first language who failed to understand

the watch was certainly over £100
    shouldn't be criticising anyone about anything.

Blog Entries
    Now I don't know for sure where the OP is heading with this, but it's unbelievable where you can end if you jump the bandwagon to quickly.
    Even Chinese movements were already mentioned.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Maybe the OP has sent the dealer a link to this thread, ''sort out my watch or I'll name you'' social media blackmail init.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    He never said it was a cheap watch. He said it was more than £100 which may have been in reference to his research on his rights under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act in making a credit card claim.

Anyway, that notwithstanding, I am going to hazard a guess at P*n*o*, founded in 2013.

Martin

The founder of the brand mentioned in the second quote is a long-standing member of this forum.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post

Martin
    What you mean PINION?

Sorry to disappoint, but he's not a customer of mine!