closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heuer Autavia 2017 - Broken

Heuer Autavia 2017 - Broken

I have owned the new Autavia for about four months. I set the watch yesterday and noticed that it’s running ever-so-fast ie, keeps gaining hours in no time at all (the winding mechanism has felt a bit flimsy since day one taking about 40 revolutions even before the second hand starts to move). It will now have to go back to Tag Heuer for repair but having had had a less-than-satisfactory purchasing experience with Jura, could I now just return it to directly to Tag via a boutique or somewhere else by-passing them (Jura) completely?

I’ve also heard some less-than-complimentary stories about Tag Heuer service as well which fills me with dread. ☹️ What with this and the Tudor BBN in for repair, I’m not having the best of horological times! 😥 Cheers all.
    Last edited by WHL1882; 15th October 2017 at 10:18.

Sounds like it's magnetized. Any competent watch shop should be able to sort it if it is

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    Sounds like it's magnetized. Any competent watch shop should be able to sort it if it is

Mark
    Thanks, its worrying that it could happen so easily.

I may be wrong but I think when a watch is magnetised it runs 20 or so seconds per day fast not hours like the op stated, I'm no expert though. It may be worth getting a cheap demagnitiser from eBay before sending it in for repair!

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    I may be wrong but I think when a watch is magnetised it runs 20 or so seconds per day fast not hours like the op stated, I'm no expert though. It may be worth getting a cheap demagnitiser from eBay before sending it in for repair!

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes, it’s running very fast. It has felt like something's not quite been right with this particular watch since day one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    Yes, it’s running very fast. It has felt like something's not quite been right with this particular watch since day one.
    Take it back and ask for a refund or replacement.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's under warranty no matter hwere you bought it. You can take it to any TAG authorised dealer and they can return it for repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Take it back and ask for a refund or replacement.
    You are entitled to a repair unded warranty, not to a refund or replacement.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    You are entitled to a repair unded warranty, not to a refund or replacement.
    Really, when the goods are faulty?

Cheers all, will take it to Tag Heuer in London tomorrow and see what they say.

The seller or manufacturer can choose to repair or replace or refund, but I've yet to have made a return and have them insist on repair or replacing it.

Master
    Terrible that you have had a bad purchasing experience and are already having quality issues.
    These are not cheap !
    I'd return it and ask for a replacement or refund.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The responses here seem to be running fast, never mind the watch.

There is a strong probability that the watch is merely magnetized. A Tag AD of your choice should be able to demagnetise while you wait, and should be quite unlikely to charge you to do so.

If magnetization isn't the issue, they should be able to timegraph it and advise on appropriate next steps.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The seller or manufacturer can choose to repair or replace or refund, but I've yet to have made a return and have them insist on repair or replacing it.
    It is at the discretion of the AD but in my watch purchasing over the last 2 years I have had a 6k Breitling refunded after 10 days and 2 replacements of my wife's Breitling after 5 weeks on the first and 1 week on the second.

A repair, replacement or refund was offered on my wife's watch.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

It is also worth stating that magnetisation is something that the owner does to a watch.
    Like dropping it on the floor.
    Only it can occur without you being aware of it.
    Electric motors, speakers, there are some really quite powerful magnets everywhere.

So it may not necessarily be seen as a warranty issue.
    It should be done by the AD as good will, but not necessarily.....
    Dave

Thanks all for the advice - think it’s all compounded after the non-too-pleasant buying experience. Will let you know what happens - not overely impressed with my first Tag though!

Craftsman
    Assuming the watch magnetised, you'd feel a full refund/replacement is in order when it's not Tag's fault? Makes no sense at all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kozzy View Post
    Assuming the watch magnetised, you'd feel a full refund/replacement is in order when it's not Tag's fault? Makes no sense at all.
    You are making an assumption.

If it's magnetised the goods are not faulty ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Guys, it's not magnetised if it's gaining HOURS as the OP stated. Minutes per day maybe, not hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Guys, it's not magnetised if it's gaining HOURS as the OP stated. Minutes per day maybe, not hours.
    Sorry, but that is totally wrong. It makes it very likely.

Can being magnetised effect the manual winding function as described in the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Sorry, but that is totally wrong. It makes it very likely.
    Agree with Dave. I had a longines legend diver gaining hours and a quick trip to Mallorys in Bath and it was sorted within a minute

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Can being magnetised effect the manual winding function as described in the OP?
    No, but that was a separate fault, noted at the time of buying by the OP, and independent of the time gain now being experienced.

Do bear in mind that a gain of 2 hours a day is actually less than a 10% error in beat rate. Having parts of the hairspring magnetised so that it does not operate with the properties of one long continuous spring can easily produce an error this large.

However, magnetising cannot slow the movement down.

Dave

Grand Master
    If it's gaining hours per day it's likely that the hairspring's become tangled/snagged, making it behave as though it's significantly shorter. It would need a hard knock to do this. I had it happen to an Omega I`d serviced; when the owner received it the watch was gaining time and it turned out to be a snagged hairspring, it must've been dropped from a height during transit.

A magnetised watch will gain several minutes/day but I doubt whether it would gain hours.

Clearly, with the watch being under warranty, it needs to go back to the manufacturer.

Paul