closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patek Philippe

Craftsman

Patek Philippe

How difficult is it to source a steel nautilus or aquanaut? Long waiting lists like some of the sports rolex?

- Not at all.
    - Yes.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ask GeorgeFalconer I think he got a knighthood for he's extensive research. (LMFAO George ).

Stay patient and keep focused. The Aquanaut isn't as hard to source as you would imagine, a 5711 is.

As for some steel Rolex sports models I think you stand more chance of getting a night out with Beyonce

I've got two nights out lined up with Beyoncé. I'm going to enjoy one of the nights out myself and put the other on SC to help fund the former. Trust that's ok.

Master
    I was told 5 yrs for a 5711 by my only local AD. 10 yrs for a ceramic Daytona. Other sport Rolex have been easier to come by, 6 CM wait or thereabouts.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Ask GeorgeFalconer I think he got a knighthood for he's extensive research. (LMFAO George ).

Stay patient and keep focused. The Aquanaut isn't as hard to source as you would imagine, a 5711 is.

As for some steel Rolex sports models I think you stand more chance of getting a night out with Beyonce
    Hahaha in truth I would rather an all access no holes barred night with Beyonce. I will still of course be on the Rolex waiting lists ;-)

Am I best to call a few AD's? Or is there a better route? I am really wanting a new watch at retail (I know we all do)

The aquanaut 5167a & nautilus 5711 would be ideal. Hell, if I could stretch to 5712 I would.

Good luck with your search!

Master
    Blog Entries
    You might get lucky with a 5167a if you call round all the UK ADs. 5711 blue dial long wait, white dial not as long. 5712 still a wait but less than the 5711.

Master
    Stick to your local Patek AD; they like local buyers. Go into the shop and speak to the AD. They want to sell to committed customers with no hint of 'flipping.' Then patience is your friend. They do come-up. I got one after 18 months. The list for the white dial is a bit shorter, and, to me, it's better looking too.
    Have you ever tried a 5711? They are lovely, elegant, watches, but some people find them a bit delicate. Good if you can try one . Mind you, they sell and sell when used. So no risk really.

Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    I've got two nights out lined up with Beyoncé. I'm going to enjoy one of the nights out myself and put the other on SC to help fund the former. Trust that's ok.
    I've also got one of these coming but think it might be a bit big for me. I'll make a decision when it arrives but will leave the stickers on just in case.

I do like both the tradition and the look of Patek Philippe, but I found my admiration of their timepieces tarnished by the experiences that George Daniels recounts in his biography of when PP approached him regarding his co-axial escapement.

Acknowledging that they are "the most prestigious watchmakers in the industry" he goes on to make the observation that "more depressing was the realisation that these men were essentially technicians who had no love of the romance and intellectual pleasure of the conception, design and construction of a beautiful and original work of art. The them, watchmaking was a practical way of making a living, and the less original thought required, the easier the work would be."

Challenged by PP's chief technician with the task of re-engineering his prototype co-axial movement to fit the 2.5mm thickness constraints of a wristwatch, Daniels succeeded only to be told by the technician that "we cannot make your escapement", thus abruptly concluding four years of hard work.

As we all know, Daniels then moved on to a highly successful collaboration with Omega, and one of the resulting Co-axial GMT SMP's sits on my wrist now.

Clearly the observations of just one individual, albeit supremely qualified, but it did leave me feeling that PP as a watchmaking company is perhaps a little soulless?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    You might get lucky with a 5167a if you call round all the UK ADs. 5711 blue dial long wait, white dial not as long. 5712 still a wait but less than the 5711.
    I prefer the white dial. A lovely change. I have a submariner & black GMT II so the white would freshen things up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Stick to your local Patek AD; they like local buyers. Go into the shop and speak to the AD. They want to sell to committed customers with no hint of 'flipping.' Then patience is your friend. They do come-up. I got one after 18 months. The list for the white dial is a bit shorter, and, to me, it's better looking too.
    Have you ever tried a 5711? They are lovely, elegant, watches, but some people find them a bit delicate. Good if you can try one . Mind you, they sell and sell when used. So no risk really.
    I think there is 1 local AD. I will pop in when I get the chance and hopefully they will be receptive to the idea of adding me to the list if they have one.

I have yet to see either the nautilus or aquanaut in the metal. Like you I don't see a great deal of risk should I be lucky enough to get then and not really bond.

There's an Aquanaut on SC now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HEKTOR View Post
    I think there is 1 local AD. I will pop in when I get the chance and hopefully they will be receptive to the idea of adding me to the list if they have one.

I have yet to see either the nautilus or aquanaut in the metal. Like you I don't see a great deal of risk should I be lucky enough to get then and not really bond.
    I had a mini GTG with a forumer and tried his white dial 5711 on. It was stunning. Now on the list, but as I said above am told 5 yrs.

Craftsman
    Does anyone know the current UK RRP for the nautilus & aquanaut?

Many thanks for the heads up on the SC thread.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Just so happens that I'm currently multi tasking and looking through the lovely pages of the 2017 Patek Collection book!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Just so happens that I'm currently multi tasking and looking through the lovely pages of the 2017 Patek Collection book!

Top man. Thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    To be honest although they are superbly built watches They are also look totally unremarkable and most people would not give them a second look if it wasn't for the fact that they are PPs

This is true; but part of the charm. A complete lack of bling or showiness. A lovely watch to wear, because it will never attract attention. But you know what is on your wrist.

Master
    Blog Entries
    5167 on SC def worth a try if you have the cash - love mine and now become my daily wearer.

My ceramic diver not getting any love, put it on Friday but swapped back over to the 5167 after a few hours

Agree about them being unnoticed as part of the charm.

Hahaha in truth I would rather an all access no holes barred night with Beyonce.
    Is that a typo or intentional?! :)

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    To be honest although they are superbly built watches They are also look totally unremarkable and most people would not give them a second look if it wasn't for the fact that they are PPs

Maybe they look unremarkable to some, but thankfully not for me - as I have one on order. They are classic designs, regardless of the brand - but so are some AP, Rolex, Omega etc. etc.

At the end of the day they are just watches - buy what you like. We all have our own reasons for buying the watches we buy.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post

I’m looking to add a 5164a into the collection but still can’t get over the 5712a is cheaper

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah that has puzzled me a little.

Would love a 5164 one day

Master
    ^
    More parts in the 5164, especially the toothed disc for home and away day/night indications.
    Cynically speaking, the price is reflective of who the likely buyer is – someone who travels a lot for business, would pay more for the usefulness of the Aquanaut’s main feature, as opposed to knowing what phase the moon was in that day.
    However, if the margins are the same, then the difference indicates the extra time/component costs needed to produce the 5164, even accounting for the Nautilus’ case and bracelet likely higher production cost.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I do like both the tradition and the look of Patek Philippe, but I found my admiration of their timepieces tarnished by the experiences that George Daniels recounts in his biography of when PP approached him regarding his co-axial escapement.

Acknowledging that they are "the most prestigious watchmakers in the industry" he goes on to make the observation that "more depressing was the realisation that these men were essentially technicians who had no love of the romance and intellectual pleasure of the conception, design and construction of a beautiful and original work of art. The them, watchmaking was a practical way of making a living, and the less original thought required, the easier the work would be."

Challenged by PP's chief technician with the task of re-engineering his prototype co-axial movement to fit the 2.5mm thickness constraints of a wristwatch, Daniels succeeded only to be told by the technician that "we cannot make your escapement", thus abruptly concluding four years of hard work.

As we all know, Daniels then moved on to a highly successful collaboration with Omega, and one of the resulting Co-axial GMT SMP's sits on my wrist now.

Clearly the observations of just one individual, albeit supremely qualified, but it did leave me feeling that PP as a watchmaking company is perhaps a little soulless?
    Absolutely.

As a company, they've become extremely complacent, and the lack of attention to detail in dial design has been especially evident since Thierry Stern came on board and got rid of whoever made their earlier gorgeous hand-lettering in favour of what what appears to be the output of a Windows 95 commodity box stuck on the default settings — the most egregious example of this being the haplessly-inept mess that is the 5140/5327 dial.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    ^
    More parts in the 5164, especially the toothed disc for home and away day/night indications.
    Cynically speaking, the price is reflective of who the likely buyer is – someone who travels a lot for business, would pay more for the usefulness of the Aquanaut’s main feature, as opposed to knowing what phase the moon was in that day.
    However, if the margins are the same, then the difference indicates the extra time/component costs needed to produce the 5164, even accounting for the Nautilus’ case and bracelet likely higher production cost.
    My limited watchmaker knowledge did think the travel time would be a more intricate complication.

It just feels the 5712a is more watch then the 5164a

Just trying to justify the £11,550 premium over the 5167 just for the complication to myself.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I am on a list for a 5711 (blue face) and have been for a year. I was told last time I called that it would be likely to be 2nd half of 2018, if that helps

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    I am on a list for a 5711 (blue face) and have been for a year. I was told last time I called that it would be likely to be 2nd half of 2018, if that helps
    Not long to wait, in 'Patek time' anyway. Good luck.

Master
    Price of the 5164R same as the 5711/1R always gets to me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why? Extra complication vs full gold bracelet, makes sense to me, you pick what’s best for you, it’s not like it’s a lot of gold.

I’ve had the 5711 1r and didn’t like the full gold bracelet, but I love the 5164r.

Craftsman
    I was told by laings that both the steel aquanaut and nautilus are allocation only. No waiting lists.

The did however have a nice rose gold aquanaut in the window.

Master
    I was told by laings that both the steel aquanaut and nautilus are allocation only. No waiting lists.

The did however have a nice rose gold aquanaut in the window.
    Was that in Edinburgh? If so they had one on August when I flew by the store. Gorgeous piece if out of my price range.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Was that in Edinburgh? If so they had one on August when I flew by the store. Gorgeous piece if out of my price range.

No. Glasgow. Lovely watch on a very dark chocolate strap. Not something I see myself wearing but a treat to look at.