closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic Seadweller or Modern Sub

Craftsman

Classic Seadweller or Modern Sub

Probably been asked before, but I currently have both and can't really justify having two steel sports Rolex models...so for the sake of Friday watch talk, I wonder what people would prefer to keep (and why) if they could only choose one of these:

1 - Classic Seadweller 16600, year 2000 - things I like is the non-cyclops, slightly raised crystal with luminova dial, SEL and lug hole case. Seems perfectly weighted, with a heck of a lot of soul and character, less frequently seen than the sub. Feels like it could survive being run over by a tank

Or

2 - Modern Submariner 116610, year 2011 - things I like is the fantastic glidelock clasp and the ceramic bezel insert, also feels bullet proof and feel like maybe it'll last longer given it's not even half the age of the SD?

I think I'm slightly edging towards the SD, though I love love the glidelock - wonder whether the sub-c bracelet fits on the lug-hole SD case?

Anyway, welcome your thoughts - couple of wristies for completeness

Journeyman
    It's the seadweller for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD!

The SD 16600 every day of the week. A timeless classic and one of the best watches Rolex ever made in my opinion. The size and feel and lack of cyclops are all positive factors for me.

I like the Sub, but would prefer a 14060m over a modern Ceramic Sub with a date.

Master
    Blog Entries
    SD for me too.
    The glide lock deployant should fit on the 16600 bracelet.

Craftsman
    Similar dilemma here, although I am looking at what to spend my hard-earned on...

I have been looking at the Sub 14060/114060 and 16600 SD... I waiver from one to the other but keep coming back to the SD...

Looking at your SD I know what I would be keeping - No contest!!

Mark

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Sub any day, it's more comfortable to wear and I love the cyclops

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Congrats on being the first sub advocate! Good to hear dissenting voice, though the SD is getting all the love so far

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    SD for me too.
    The glide lock deployant should fit on the 16600 bracelet.
    Ooohhh, very interesting suggestion to put the glidelock deployment on the SD bracelet, will check it out....anyone fancy a sub-c head only

Master
    Another vote for the SD. The drilled lugs and lack of cyclops gives it a much more rugged look. The modern Sub just looks like a fashion accessory in comparison.

Master
    Sea Dweller - no contest, or alternatively a 14060M

Master
    About a decade ago I decided I'd really like a Sub. Went off to a dealer in London and had a look, tried a couple of pre-owned ones on. Then I tried a 16600 Seadweller and immediately went for that; more discreet, feels like it will last to the end of time, much less well-known even to the average Rolex buyer.

I've had a Sub since but traded it quite quickly - didn't feel as substantial and I couldn't see the point of having something nearly the same but not as good as the SD. And I've seen nothing subsequent in the SD range that I'm attracted to, so I'll stick with my trusty old 16600.

Master
    As much as I love my 16660 it gets no wrist time next to my DSSD and i suspect the same would be said of a 116610.

The SD is a classic but the modern evolutions are, for me, much more wearable.

Master
    Another vote for the SD.

I have owned most in the past and currently own a 1665, 16800, 5513 and a 114060.

The pecking order is as follows - 1665, 5513 (being worn as I type), 16800 and finally the 114060.

Dont get me wrong the 114060 is a great watch, but it simply lacks the feel and charm of the others.

Note that the SD wins. Whether it's a 1665, 16660, 16600. The ceramic versions have the same issue as the 114060 - to big, to hefty, and lack the feel and charm of the earlier models.

IMHO

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I also love the 16600. Tried it on once and the proportions were perfect. If there is a way to fit the glidelock clasp onto it, you could say it's the perfect sports Rolex!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quite genuinely I can't call it between them.
    I love both (although my preference modern sub-wise is the 114060.

Sd + classic, lug holes, date with no cyclops, aluminium bezel.
    Sd - pest to service independently, taller, bracelet although perfectly serviceable isnt up there with the modern.

Sub + bracelet, slimmer, simple to maintain, worry free as easier replaced.
    Sub - blocky case, ceramic bezel is shiny, no lug holes, ubiquitous.

I don't think you can go far wrong with either so I'd pick comfort and if it's something you think about - long term appreciation. I think the SD has that over the sub.

Craftsman
    Ideally both, but if you have to chose, SD 16600 all the time. I have it and also a 114060 which is amazing as well. But the 16600 is a true classic.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Trade both for a SD4k and get the best of both (and some change).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    Trade both for a SD4k and get the best of both (and some change).

You know what mate...I had the SD4k last summer and sold it to a lucky member on here for a meazly £5.5k (that's pre-Baselworld price)!

Anyway, it really was the perfect modern Rolex sub for me and I would have it back in a heartbeat, but I can't justify to myself the significant premium it now commands...I would literally have to put double the money I currently have on the 16600 and I don't think that makes sense

Surely a £4k 16600 is a better shout than an £8k 116600?

SD!!

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Quite genuinely I can't call it between them.

Sd + classic, lug holes, date with no cyclops, aluminium bezel.
    Sd - pest to service independently, taller, bracelet although perfectly serviceable isnt up there with the modern.

Sub + bracelet, slimmer, simple to maintain, worry free as easier replaced.
    Sub - blocky case, ceramic bezel is shiny, no lug holes, ubiquitous.

I don't think you can go far wrong with either....
    +1

They are very hard to split. SD I think, if it's in good condition

Dave

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    You know what mate...I had the SD4k last summer and sold it to a lucky member on here for a meazly £5.5k (that's pre-Baselworld price)!

Anyway, it really was the perfect modern Rolex sub for me and I would have it back in a heartbeat, but I can't justify to myself the significant premium it now commands...I would literally have to put double the money I currently have on the 16600 and I don't think that makes sense

Surely a £4k 16600 is a better shout than an £8k 116600?
    Fair enough. I actually bought one from another member last year for similar money and I feel rather guilty about it, although it was the right price at the time.

Also, I sold a 6 month old 116520 shortly before for £8k to fund it which eases my conscience!

Master
    Firstly which do you enjoy more on the wrist.

Does one feel more comfortable or does one have a more sentimental value to you.

The Sub can be replaced without too much trouble but the SD if a full set and in good condition would be more difficult.

I have owned both of these but have now moved them both on to a 42mm Rolex.

To me the choice of which to keep would be difficult but i slightly preferred the modern Sub with the ceramic bezel and better bracelet.

The SD Chris. It's a classic and the proportions are spot-on. Have a look at the two wrist shots you posted.
    Last edited by 5avvy; 13th October 2017 at 11:05.

Another vote for keeping the SD. I love the classic Sub design and many of their homages but the SD is a much less common sight even if they look the same to the untrained eye.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Sub any day, it's more comfortable to wear and I love the cyclops

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think I'm in this camp - but I wear a 16610 daily, and have only worn an SD (pre ceramic) for a few minutes in a jewellers. The SD was just too thick and thus stuck out on my wrist, and naturally this will depend entirely on your wrist and build.

I too love the lack of cyclops and the SD certainly has something about it, but as a wear piece, the Sub won.

Master
    Order a 126600, when it arrives sell the Sub and the SD wear the new SD and go on holiday with what's left over..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Firstly which do you enjoy more on the wrist.

Does one feel more comfortable or does one have a more sentimental value to you.

The Sub can be replaced without too much trouble but the SD if a full set and in good condition would be more difficult.

I have owned both of these but have now moved them both on to a 42mm Rolex.

To me the choice of which to keep would be difficult but i slightly preferred the modern Sub with the ceramic bezel and better bracelet.
    Neither have any sentimental value, both are extremely comfortable...

I think I prefer the "soul" of the SD, it's got something extremely appealing about it, much more so than the Sub...but I do love the glidelock!

While the SD is in mint condition, it unfortunately is a loose watch - I guess it won't be for investors/collectors, but doesn't really bother me. The Sub is a completely full set and I bought it with half a mind of being able to sell easily.

Craftsman
    For me it's more SD love. Classic lines, and weight, lug hole case, no cyclops all do it for me!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Order a 126600, when it arrives sell the Sub and the SD wear the new SD and go on holiday with what's left over..

Sorry, to me the 126600 is just completely misconstrued - I love the red seadweller writing (and they did great bringing that back) but I don't get at all where the random case size and cyclops came from...whatever I love about the Classic SD (its soul) has been sold to the devil with this model.

Now the SD4k is a completely different story - I would buy that (at a more digestible price) in a heartbeat, it is IMO as previously said the best modern sports Rolex out there...I have no doubt they will come back to that type of model soon!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    The SD Chris. It's a classic and the proportions are spot-on. Have a look at the two wrist shots you posted.
    I can't disagree my old friend - the sub fits almost as well, say 99%, but I think the SD is 100% fit to my wrist

Hope you're keeping well

Banned
    I'm probably going against the grain here but prefer the sub with ceramic bezel
    Last edited by charlies; 13th October 2017 at 19:06.

I’m in the opposite dilemma at the moment — which to buy. The 16600/16660 or a ceramic sub date. Part of me wants to buy the SD4K and ‘have it all’ but the price it commands right now is unpalatable.

I think you’re in a situation where there is no wrong answer. Sell the sub and you’ll always miss it, sell the SD and you’ll regret it.

Could almost flip a coin.

Meet me in London for a coffee over the weekend with both and you can keep the one I don’t buy off you

Sub for me the dwellers too big

Master
    Sorry, to me the 126600 is just completely misconstrued - I love the red seadweller writing (and they did great bringing that back) but I don't get at all where the random case size and cyclops came from...whatever I love about the Classic SD (its soul) has been sold to the devil with this model.

Now the SD4k is a completely different story - I would buy that (at a more digestible price) in a heartbeat, it is IMO as previously said the best modern sports Rolex out there...I have no doubt they will come back to that type of model soon!
    You may have a point, but looking at it from a different angle, we have the red writing, the glidlock clasp, the cyclops, a 70 hour PR, 10 year service interval and the kudos of owning a 50th anniversary piece....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I’m in the opposite dilemma at the moment — which to buy. The 16600/16660 or a ceramic sub date. Part of me wants to buy the SD4K and ‘have it all’ but the price it commands right now is unpalatable.

I think you’re in a situation where there is no wrong answer. Sell the sub and you’ll always miss it, sell the SD and you’ll regret it.

Could almost flip a coin.

Meet me in London for a coffee over the weekend with both and you can keep the one I don’t buy off you
    I'm in The City four days of the week and love coffee meetings to chat watches - let me know if you're near and when it might suit for a hookup.

PS - I can't promise a sale though

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolthai32 View Post
    Sub for me the dwellers too big
    The Sub c is a smidgen thinner, but the classic SD case feels more svelter

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    You may have a point, but looking at it from a different angle, we have the red writing, the glidlock clasp, the cyclops, a 70 hour PR, 10 year service interval and the kudos of owning a 50th anniversary piece....
    Touche my friend!

Can we settle on all of the above, but removing the cyclops, going back to a 40mm case and DOUBLE red writing?!

That's what the one year limited anniversary model should have been

The Sub c is a smidgen thinner, but the classic SD case feels more svelter
    Chris 40mm versis 42mm I may be wrong

Sent from my SM-G7102 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    As a 35-year SD wearer.....it is a much more subtle watch, and is the one I’d keep.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Touche my friend!

Can we settle on all of the above, but removing the cyclops, going back to a 40mm case and DOUBLE red writing?!

That's what the one year limited anniversary model should have been
    Agree 100%

Craftsman
    Seadweller

Craftsman
    ie the one you can’t walk into a AD anymore and buy. You’ll miss it if you get rid.

Master
    SD for me, it's a classic.

Last year I decided to splash out on an SD4000 while they were still available, hated paying full RRP for it, did not foresee where the prices would go once stocks were sold out. But the watch is now my favourite and a keeper.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolthai32 View Post
    Chris 40mm versis 42mm I may be wrong

Sent from my SM-G7102 using TZ-UK mobile app
    I thought they were both 40mm?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I thought they were both 40mm?
    Certainly what I thought you...but then again it's Friday and my brain is fried

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    SD for me, it's a classic.

Last year I decided to splash out on an SD4000 while they were still available, hated paying full RRP for it, did not foresee where the prices would go once stocks were sold out. But the watch is now my favourite and a keeper.
    Someone got lucky, well done...

The classic Seadweller is the one to have.........

Pretty soon every man and his dog will have a fat-body Rolex Submariner, and the attraction will diminish.

Al

In isolation the modern SuBC is perfect but side by side the older SD is the one I’d reach for every time.

SuBC too square imo.