closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic Seadweller or Modern Sub

I have a 16600 and prefer the case shape to the newer SubC.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    I remember comments on the SD (non-C) - some people said it was top-heavy - sliding round wrists etc - seems those days are gone? I have a SDc4K and find it fits just that bit flatter and with the adjustable bracelet is the perfect sports Rolex.

Martyn

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    The classic Seadweller is the one to have.........

Pretty soon every man and his dog will have a fat-body Rolex Submariner, and the attraction will diminish.

Al
    could not add a word,+1

SD for me.

Craftsman
    Sea dweller gets my vote in fact I traded my subC for a 16600 which I still have and love

Classic style cases all day long, more subtle, less bling.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    I can't disagree my old friend - the sub fits almost as well, say 99%, but I think the SD is 100% fit to my wrist

Hope you're keeping well
    I'm good thanks mate. We're overdue a catch-up - I'll message you with some dates.

SD for me everytime but then I don't really do modern Rolex so possibly biased!

Craftsman
    I'll be different...

I prefer the Submariner as it is smaller in height than the Sea Dweller, you have the option of Date or No Date if the cyclops is an issue and the bracelet is a big improvement.

Sub! SD is a great watch, but the Sub is the legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Sub! SD is a great watch, but the Sub is the legend
    Perhaps - if it was a vintage Sub.......

Craftsman
    If we were purely considering it on watch alone, it go Sub. It's better proportioned and imho a better looking watch.

The SD is harder to come by though so if you're looking at it as an investment I'd keep that.

Alternatively keep both, and just live on Iceland budget food for 6 months and you're sorted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I maybe got models wrong

Sent from my SM-G7102 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Classic seadweller. Harder to track down but worth the effort.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Classic seadweller. Harder to track down but worth the effort.
    Indeed...I picked up a 17 year old, beat up (once before polished), loose watch, that had clearly been dropped before, the movement was running strong but was 8 seconds a day out because of it

However, a respectful polish by a highly experienced professional watchmaker and a movement regulation has it looking back to almost new standard, running at 0.4 seconds a day.

The bracelet was always tight, crystal immaculate, so I think I've got myself a real keeper here

Here are some afters

Master
    Blog Entries
    Glad you got sorted Chris. Good find. The value will only go one way >>>>>

Master
    Classic..the modern sub nice but quite ubiquitous

Sent from my Moto C Plus using Tapatalk

Master
    I am more and more drawn to a non ceramic dweller, due entirely to this forum, but my caveat would be as an "only" watch it would not work for me. With three young kids I am in the swimming pool twice a week, in the sea in the summer, and my eldest wants to learn to scuba, which I will do with her.
    I can wear my modern Dweller with no concerns, backed up with the 5 year warranty should anything occur. I could not do that with a more vintage piece.
    Horses for courses I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I see the listings on Watchfinder, mentioning 'box' and 'papers.' `i think I can guess what the first is referring to, but whats the second? Invoices for servicing or the original sales documents? I guess these are only interesting for people looking to make an investment: what's the view?

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I am more and more drawn to a non ceramic dweller, due entirely to this forum, but my caveat would be as an "only" watch it would not work for me. With three young kids I am in the swimming pool twice a week, in the sea in the summer, and my eldest wants to learn to scuba, which I will do with her.
    I can wear my modern Dweller with no concerns, backed up with the 5 year warranty should anything occur. I could not do that with a more vintage piece.

How deep is the "deep end"?

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post

Any sapphire 16600 will be more than capable of any water action that you could throw at it.

Proper vintage non sapphire, I'd be a bit more careful with.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    How deep is the "deep end"?
    In much the same way as one can drown in a puddle of water, a foot deep can b####x a watch with a worn seal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Any sapphire 16600 will be more than capable of any water action that you could throw at it.

Proper vintage non sapphire, I'd be a bit more careful with.
    So long as properly serviced and checked I agree. But I still prefer the carefree wearing of a new one with 5 yrs guaranteed.

I'm in The City four days of the week and love coffee meetings to chat watches - let me know if you're near and when it might suit for a hookup.

PS - I can't promise a sale though
    Sounds good! I’m normally in N or NW post codes for work, sometimes docklands - field based.

This question is answered depending on where you ask it. On here it really is the forum favourite and 90% will say SD, on instagram 90% of people wont see the point in a SD and will tell you to keep the Sub.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    This question is answered depending on where you ask it. On here it really is the forum favourite and 90% will say SD, on instagram 90% of people wont see the point in a SD and will tell you to keep the Sub.
    Audience is a massive factor. Personally I’ve never got on with the classic SD and one of the few who think the modern Sub is the best watch they’ve ever produced, however, the Sub is the easier to get hold of out of the two if a flip is regretted.

Had a sub bi metal blue dial. Chopped in for a SD 16600 2000 Swiss only dial. It’s the Rottweilers dangly bits. A Milgauss as my daily

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

And the lume is great too

Banned
    Indeed...I picked up a 17 year old, beat up (once before polished), loose watch, that had clearly been dropped before, the movement was running strong but was 8 seconds a day out because of it

However, a respectful polish by a highly experienced professional watchmaker and a movement regulation has it looking back to almost new standard, running at 0.4 seconds a day.

The bracelet was always tight, crystal immaculate, so I think I've got myself a real keeper here

Here are some afters
    What an incredible job , looks new and keeping perfect time , I love seeing a beaten up watch restored back to its former glory

Apprentice
    Lovely. Just lovely.

I have been lucky enough to have owned both.....I still have my sub. For me it's far more comfortable to wear, and the bracelet is light years ahead of the SD.

100% the SD for me, however you really can't go wrong with either.

Master
    The lugs on the 114060 are too thick, which creates an oddly 'blocky' look which doesn't work for me. So, Seadweller, which has shapely lugs, or a pre-ceramic Sub.
    You can't beat a nice pair of lugs.

16600 with Glidelock sounds like the best option for you. Works a treat.

Pity that bracelet won't fit on 5 digit Subs, but you can't have everything.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    16600 with Glidelock sounds like the best option for you. Works a treat.

Pity that bracelet won't fit on 5 digit Subs, but you can't have everything.
    Wait, is it really possible to put the newer glidelock bracelet onto an old 16600? Thought they are not compatible..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Wait, is it really possible to put the newer glidelock bracelet onto an old 16600? Thought they are not compatible..
    I don't think the whole bracelet fits, but perhaps the clasp can be changed over? Will give it a try as soon as I get the sub-c back from polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Certainly is.

Between these two it is the Sub 116610LN for me. The 16600 is overhyped (not everthing 'old' is better), a bit dull, wears small, and flops around the wrist too much. The 1220m of depth you can reach with it is useless and makes the watch unnecessary thick and topheavy. And the old type bracelet (93160A) is too light to hold the watch in place. OK the ceramic Sub shines a bit more and has bigger lugs, but if you wear a 7K watch it may be seen, why else buy it? The Sub has it all: wears more comfortably, is thinner and lighter, has a better bracelet, glide-lock clasp, better movement (blue hairspring), maxi-dial, datum-loupe with AR-coating so you can really read the datum, a more modern size (at least to the eye) and with the 300m depth-rating you can dive so deep your head will implode. Don't get me wrong, I like the 16600 a lot, but the 116610LN is just a better and (to me) nicer looking watch. Don't get carried away to much by the vintage hype, just look at the watches instead.

Journeyman
    SD 16600 must be one of my all time favourite watches by a long shot... my trustworthy daily beater !

Craftsman
    Classic sea dweller definitly

Craftsman
    SD, not a fan of modern subs or anything ceramic.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Retep View Post
    Between these two it is the Sub 116610LN for me. The 16600 is overhyped (not everthing 'old' is better), a bit dull, wears small, and flops around the wrist too much. The 1220m of depth you can reach with it is useless and makes the watch unnecessary thick and topheavy. And the old type bracelet (93160A) is too light to hold the watch in place. OK the ceramic Sub shines a bit more and has bigger lugs, but if you wear a 7K watch it may be seen, why else buy it? The Sub has it all: wears more comfortably, is thinner and lighter, has a better bracelet, glide-lock clasp, better movement (blue hairspring), maxi-dial, datum-loupe with AR-coating so you can really read the datum, a more modern size (at least to the eye) and with the 300m depth-rating you can dive so deep your head will implode. Don't get me wrong, I like the 16600 a lot, but the 116610LN is just a better and (to me) nicer looking watch. Don't get carried away to much by the vintage hype, just look at the watches instead.
    Great comment , agree with this

Classic Seadweller or Modern Sub

Devils advocate within me says: 16610. (i.e. the five digit Submariner Date)

The classic styling and lugs of the older Sea-Dweller, without the 'unnecessary' thickness and HEV of the Sea-Dweller.

Can be had in Superluminova, (Luminova), and tritium according to taste.

I have a 16610 and, with the exception of lacking the later Sub C clasp with the Easylink, I think it's pretty much perfect.

Master
    I've only had my SD for a week or so but it hasn't been off the wrist since. I would agree that they are a tad too similar to own both. It fits well in my collection as my other sub is a Hulk. Between the "standard" sub and the SD I would pick the SD but just because it fits my wrist better. As mentioned before, the sub would be easier to replace. Personally, if finances allow, I'd change the sub for a 5513, another no date, or a Hulk. Chances are that they will be easy to sell if needs must.

Master

Sub

I’ve had both and found the Sub for me personally just a little more comfy and timeless!!
    Don’t get me wrong the old SD is something to behold but for me Rolex are cyclops!!
    Now I could go for the Kermit and keep the SD?? That way the Kermit is still that timeless Sub I love but would differ just enough from the SD with that green bezel insert for me to keep both!! Happy days!!

Why is that not a problem I’m having in the real world ?!?!

Chris

Craftsman
    Thought I'll stoke the fire on a Monday morning with these promised side by side photos....comments welcome

Thought I'll stoke the fire on a Monday morning with these promised side by side photos....comments welcome
    I know which one I'd chose...and I did.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I know which one I'd chose...and I did.
    So which was it?

C

So which was it?

C
    😊 16600 👍🏻

SD any day of the year

Blog Entries