closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a NOS Rolex - warranty?

Buying a NOS Rolex - warranty?

I'm about to go ahead and buy a NOS 35mm Yachtmaster 168622 from a well known UK AD.

The silver dialled models were discontinued recently, so although this watch is "new" and has been sat in their window and safe for a few months, (annoyingly it's picked up a scratch in the platinum bezel !) they are selling it from their "Pre-Owned" department.

We've agreed a price and I was just about to pay, when I thought I'd check it will come with the new 5 year guarantee.

I'm told that as it's "pre-owned" it will only come with the AD's 2 year in house warranty. I'm happy to trust that if anything went wrong, they'd post it off to Rolex for a fix, but I don't get why it's not still covered by the standard 5 year Rolex one.

Is a brand new watch's 5 year warranty not transferrable to a new owner these days?

PS - It's for the wife......if she's a good girl.

Craftsman
    I bought my wife NOS Rolex a few weeks ago. It came with the balance of the 5 year warranty. Missing 1 month of the 60 months.

The AD had simply registered the watch/warranty which set the warranty countdown in motion. Other than that the watch was new, unworn and as I say carrying the balance of the warranty with my wife's details added to the warranty card after payment had been made.

Craftsman
    I think it depends on the actual description of NOS, was the paper work dated but the watch never worn, in which case the warranty may have expired, if the warranty has yet to be activated then IMO it would just be a new watch with or without a discontinued dial

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’d be suspicious. Could be a return or is not considered to be in a saleable as new quality by Rolex.

If it’s discounted to overcome this fair enough, but I presume it doesn’t come with the card?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    What on earth does NOS mean??

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    New Old Stock

Basically a new watch that has been in stock for a while.

Oxymoron alert.

If the watch is indeed NOS, it should carry the full five years of warranty. The clue is in the "N" of "NOS". If they say it's used (as in pre-sold), then it's not NOS. In that case, it might be mint, but not NOS and would carry either the remainder of the original 5 years of warranty or their house-warranty, whichever is longer.

And by the way, the five years Rolex warranty is transferrable.

I'm awaiting a response from them now, asking whether it is a 2017 watch as advertised or actually older......

They've assured me that it's been window display only and the few marks on it have happened through general handling in store, but that does beg the question of why it is then not being sold as a NOS watch with full warranty.

It is very well discounted off the last list price........

Craftsman
    There's something moody about it, but if the price is right maybe that can be overlooked.